Was rock a fad?

>10,000+ years of folk
>1000+ years of classical
>100 years of jazz
>80 years of r&b/funk/soul/pbr&b
>80 years of electronic music
>rock died in under 50

The funniest part of the butthurt in these threads are the posters saying nu-uh, you can't call all that folk, all that classical or all that electronic yet a week ago it was the standard norm to do just that.

See: /trad/ (for all trad music, ever)
See: /classical/ (for all music before 1910 except trad)
See: /bleep/ (except for muh IDM)

rock was an extension of pop and blues so it was doomed from the beginning. not a fad because there were still great artists in the genre

I can't believe this bait will still work

>there were still great artists in the genre
liar

>who are the minutemen

also does that mean you think funk is a fad?

Funk is still going and innovating, just not in the mainstream unlike rock which hasn't done anything new in 2 decades

Jazz died in the '80s, where are you getting 100 years of it?

Folk started in the 1960s by Bob Dylan
R&B started in the 1990s by R. Kelly
Electronic started in the 1970s by Kraftwerk

fair enough. care to rec me some contemporary funk albums?

You should check out ECM and all the amazing jazz/electronic fusion of the last 20 years.

It will mean leaving TND website though.

Can't atm, on phone.

Search the catalog for /groove/ general's and theres lists in those.

dude epic xD

k thanks

it was never good to begin with

True

There are 6 posters in this thread.

>music genre
>dead
They fade in and out of relevancy but no genre actually "dies"

Tell that to New Wave and Britpop

>rock
>under 50 years old
Someone needs to read up on their music history

Both have made mini-comebacks over the years

everyone above me is a fag

keep telling yourself that rockfag

Back to /bleep/ with you homo

/bleep/ is cancer I don't go there

You'd fit right in

everyone above me who calls everyone above them a fag is a fag

Hoo boy, here we go again

Omg, this is soooooooo gud. Thank you very much!

No, crooners are a fad. Nobody croons anymore, meanwhile pretty much every town in the world has at least one punk band.

>10,000+ years of folk
>100 years of jazz
>80 years of r&b/funk/soul/pbr&b
>80 years of electronic music
>rock died in under 50

what the fuck am I reading

>What is japanese music?

At least wait an entire day

it's shit, that's what it is

yeah but rock has King Crimson so eat shit loser

What are we basing the life and death of genres off of? Does rock not being part of the mainstream mean it's dead? If that's the case then Jazz never lived close to 100 years.

kek

>listen to In The Court of the Crimson King
>tfw apart from the solo part in 21st Century Schizoid Man and the impromptu part in Moonchild it's all 4 chord progressions (all triads in the same key, no modulation is allowed) for the entire duration of the song

>tfw Fripp actually pretends to be a serious composer
>tfw rock composers are generally so fucking incompetent that the unwashed masses actually believe him for almost 50 years now

Robert Fripp is a hack, and I'm fairly sure that he knows it.

pic related: what Fripp REALLY wants to be

he's smoking at us...

>Funk is still going and innovating
lmao

>10,000+ years of folk
but music started in 1910

you dont think in the 1000 year history of classical they went 20 years without innovating...?
idk bro :/ sounds like bullshit

this board really needs an /r9k/ filter now since regular moderation doesn't cut it anymore

Even though I suspect that this is bait, there is definitely some truth to this. Holy shit people like Fripp act as if they are fucking Bach while from a purely technical point of view King Crimson songs are basic ass shit, clearly indicating that it's composer lacks any real formal training. When it comes to sophisticated pop music, things like Burt Bacharach blow all that wannabe deep shit like KC but also krautrock like Faust and Velvet Underground related hipster-elitism the fuck out. And don't even get me started on jazz. It is absolutely not a big deal that most poo music is just basic bitch in terms of compositions, it should never be something of importance. However, people like Fripp act like they are on some Stravinsky level with all their deep and refined music while again fucking Burt Bacharach wrote Promises Promises, now that's a challenging pop composition, not your fucking shit improv on Moonchild Robert

This is the real important question that no one is asking. Is music dying?What else is there left to do in music?

*Its
*Pop

There is shitloads of things to do in music. The point that is that it takes truly musical greatness to actually have the musical touch to get people moving into a new direction. That requires compositional skill, artistic genius and a good impression of our current zeitgeist. People like Miles Davis, Stravinsky and Coltrane were able to do that last century

we have free access to all (90%) the music of the world and access to software and sound modulation programs and whatnot, this is the most creatively potential time since ever in history

yet here we are with people listening to trap and producing vaporwave

>if it's not in the mainstream it's DEAAAAD
The jazz scene is still incredibly strong in both performers and patrons, not nearly as big as it was in the past but nowhere near dead.

Trap is aesthetic

/thread

>since regular moderation doesn't cut it anymore
What moderation? I dare you to take a look at how many DAMN. threads are archived.