ITT: Post highly regarded albums that you don't get the immense praise for...

ITT: Post highly regarded albums that you don't get the immense praise for, other anons explain what is so special about the album.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/KQsdO8e8fwY
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It's just a really incredible rock album. As near to flawless as you can get, IMO. Great instrumentals and interesting lyrics, and it has an atmosphere that's capable of being both dreary and catchy, sometimes even on the same track.

the atmosphere alone makes it such a surreal album

It's like Joy Division if they were good

Literally WEWUZ Dindu POC Fuck Drumpf Kill Whitey the album. Literal objective shit

Its a great album user. It uses what, like 12,000 samples? What don't you like about it?

>Interpol > JD
fuckin whew

cause it sounds good faggot

objectively the worst post on this board

>user who didnt listen to tpab but wants to talk about it #1509

>"fuck drumpf"
>album was released in 2015 before Trump was even President or a nominee

>He doesnt like something so he clearly hasnt listened to it

halp

>implying that the more samples used is better

>Its a great album user. It uses what, like 12,000 samples? What don't you like about it?
Aside from a few standout tracks (The title track, Frontier Psychiatrist, and Live at Dominoes), the whole thing blends together in a monotonous mess.

Regarding the sampling, Endtroducing did it 4 years earlier (don't know how much it amounted to exactly, though) and Donuts did it better than both of them.

That album to me was all about the instrumentals. While the lyrics were good, I felt the instrumentals created this dark, moody atmosphere that I really enjoyed

everyone says this is their best but i sure hope not because it's fucking boring

mogwai fear satan in particular is a fucking snoozefest

It's a kitchen sink 90s indie production with pretentious lyrics much like an Elephant Six album, only less creepy.

Endtroducing is good, but I like SILY better.

Radio, Two Hearts Beating in 3/4 Time, Flight Tonight, Close To You, A Different Feeling, Electricity, Frontier Psychiatrist, ETOH, Summer Crane, and Live at Dominoes are all great fucking songs

I'm sorry but this album is just boring as shit to me

just listen to leaves turn inside you

It's the historical context.

Radiohead had been sort of a softcore indie rock band with a few kind of generic 90s sounding radio hits like Creep and Fake Plastic Trees. They came out with this fucking fantastic indie rock opera, in OK Computer, and they skyrocketed to immortality and fame. Then they announced their fourth album was going to come out, and everyone was fucking hyped to the skies.

Kid A dropped.

All the people who had caught on to Radiohead through OK Computer swarmed the record stores, and walked away with this slow paced, kind of dystopian, deathly sounding synth rock album.

And while many of them were perhaps disappointed, a rather sizeable minority of them were like, "Hey, this is pretty neat, and kind of a cool direction."

And so, the experimental ambient electronic post-rock scene – which had previously been a fucking obscure-ass fucking hipster fucking genre, with only like one or two well known bands in it – suddenly had this gigantic-ass endorsement from a band that had recently become one of the biggest indie bands of all fucking time.

The genre was flooded with new fans, and with the new fans came new bands. The genre diversified, and albums released years and years later all harken back to it.

so, like
it was kind of a big deal

yeah if you're saying it's anti-Trump you're wrong because it was out before he was in the field lmfao kys faggot

Yeah, ok. I forgot about Flight Today. The rest do blend together, though, and aren't that interesting.

but post hardcore is bad

Flight Tonight*

have you listened to it?

I don't understand the hype around this album as well.

I think it's a really well put together album, but I don't think it's GOAT. What's all the hype all about

no, the majority of post-hardcore i've listened to was shit so i never bothered

give it a try. what post-hardcore have you listened to?

im listening to our love to admire rite now

just random things i've seen around here, cloud nothings is okay i guess. there's one in particular that gets posted all the fucking time that just straight up sucks

i'm listening to the first track on leaves right now and its alright so far

>"hurr tpab is liberal propaganda" high schooler actually thinks Joy Division is good

terrible opinion

wait until you get to terminus because that track is a 10/10. and post-hardcore is rarely talked about on Sup Forums so i dont know which album you're referring to.

don't lump some r/thedonald faggot in with normal joy division fans

rap is bad for completely unpolitical reasons tho

Protip: most of the shit that is called post-hardcore isn't actually post-hardcore
Listen to Drive Like Jehu, Unwound and Fugazi for actual post-hardcore

There is LITERALLY nothing wrong with Joy division. Other than the fact that tumblr sjws worship it.

You like TPAB. An album thay niggers worship. Think about that for a while.

so, why is this hippie-ass blues jam rock album a punk classic?

I don't think it's as amazing as everyone makes it out to be, but I really do enjoy it a lot

This is coming from someone who hated it for years. It only recently clicked with me and It's quite enjoyable for what it is.

Arguably one of the most praised albums on this board to date. I don't get it. I don't see the hype, the appeal.

>Inb4 listen on high quality speakers/headphones

Did that, still don't like it. Listened to it front to back at least 10 times. It's not for me.

>rap is bad for completely unpolitical reasons tho
Like what?

it's that converge album

i dont understand how u cant like it

Converge is technically post-hardcore but metalcore is a more apt genre
They're a really good band btw

That one's pretty mediocre in my opinion. Also as said there's a lot of good post-hardcore, Fugazi being one of my all time favorite bands. If you haven't listened to Repeater it's one of the best albums I've ever listened to.

Incredible riffs and guitar parts, great chord progressions and song structures, cool time signature changes, good vocals (even though some people don't like Thom's voice), fantastic melodies and some interesting lyrics

i liked samurai sword, but nothing else from the album.

what album should i listen to for songs like that?

Try listening on a really cold/rainy day

Get a whole bunch of blankets and coffee and just melt

a majority of it just sucks, it's boring, the lyrics are shit and it's pretty much just party music

that being said there's still a handful of artists i like, but nowhere near as many that i like from other genres

You want me to be blunt and honest? It's so fucking slow ant boring, the vocals are fucking near impossible to hear, and it just feels reminiscent of an angsty teenage band.

Anything by Radiohead

I'd say it has to do with the time it came out. Even though it came out in '77, it was already kind of in post-punk territory. It's influential basically.

>DAE hate Radiohead xD

>falling for the bait this easily

summer already?

The ability this album has to make me FEEL is unreal.

When my gf dumped me I was pretty sad, then I discovered this album and it made me fucking dead inside.

Of course that's just me, but I feel like for most people something about this album pulls out the heavy depression within them. It makes them apply their own feels to the already oppressive atmosphere of the album.

The music is enjoyable and there's no moment I get bored of listening to or any moment I find laborious. It just sucks me in and pulls me into the darkest place I can imagine. Although that's not exactly a good thing, it's impressive and no other piece of art has had this effect on me.

>TL;DR listen when you're really sad.

i just dont get whats so good about it or any ambient electronic music for that matter

Go back to your (c)rap thread, Jamal

this and the whole genre of krautrock is just seems like worse version of classic prog to me :/

Literally the most boring album ive ever listened to

this

this 110%

ripping choons, nuff said

Pls help

Its actually a better version of prog.

Can probably has the best drummer in rock history. If Tago Mago is too weird for you then try Future Days.

Any David Bowie album, ever.

It's not that good.

It's not that good. Electricity is nice for dancing.

It's not that good.

Timbres and melodies, Thom's voice doesn't sound terrible so that's a plus.

Karma Police, Fitter Happier, Electioneering. Ditch the rest.

It's not that good.

It's not that good. Describes their entire output as well.

It's not that good. People self-insert themselves and their pitiful relationships into it.

It's not that good.

If you have to ask, you'll never know.

It's not that good. Mostly nostalgic.

It's not that good. Applies to the rest of their output. The opener is a classic, however.

Minimalism applied to jam rock. What's not to love ?

It's not that good.

The worst Beatles album is better than this

>Shit opinions
>Its an ID AND a tripfag who's been shitting up other threads
Why am I not surprised in the slightest?

>If you have to ask, you'll never know.
Stop saying that!!!!

Just help

>In My Life repeated over and over, with worse vocals and better production values
>10/10!in Sup Forums

What did you mean by this?

>inb4 historical context

that's a whole lot of nothing you did there

The lyrics are really cryptic and poetic. It also is the definition of atmosphere and tension. For me it's the exploration of the male (and occasionally female[hands away]) psyche post-break up.

Wonderful record with not a single bad song.

Incorrect. The Beatles never made a song as great as God Only Knows.

My opinions are immaculate.

It's great to sing along and nearly every song is a classic. Jeff's lyrics and melodies are all top-notch as well. Where do you struggle ?

What are you talking about ?

Every song on this album feels like it was recorded under incredibly different circumstances, full of very sudden endings and noisy transitions, yet it flows into itself just as well as the most cohesive concept albums. They cover so many different styles of amateur recording that it really starts to feel like an exercise in mastery over the studio.

The vocals and songwriting should appeal to any Sufjan Stevens fans, and the arrangements are really memorable from song to song. Some parts may feel more boring than others, but there's really not a single forgettable moment to be found here.

It's the encapsulation of feelings. The lyrics are mostly a meaningless aside that adds to the textural density of the music. It's one of those albums that gets ruined if you listen too closely. I think even the act of seeking out good headphones kinda ruins the point of the album.

It's something to just put on and drift away

I liked Rival Dealer well enough, but this just bores me.

Those who like it value the cerebral-conceptual aspect and can enjoy groovy funk.
I'd try out some old rythm heavy 70s funk then try again if you are really interest in understanding it.

Unless you are a insecure 12 year old Sup Forumsyard the themes and conflicts should be appealing upon close inspection.

That said, like GKMC, it's so reliant on its linear progression that once you know what's coming it isn't as impressive.

>It's great to sing along and nearly every song is a classic. Jeff's lyrics and melodies are all top-notch as well. Where do you struggle ?
He is always screaming, and the melodies don't seem that great. Sounds pretty average

This album, and a lot of Phil's Mount Eerie stuff as well, has a lot to do with nature and man's place in it. It's very interesting to listen to while in the woods or going on a walk.

I've always said you need to go outside one day, throw this album on, and just really examine yourself and your place in the world and where you fit in and really feel small at that thought. It was very relaxing and centering while out in the woods to hear "My Roots Are Strong and Deep" while trees swayed in the wind.

I used to think this was just another sad album, but it's actually just one of the most human albums I've ever heard.

So basically this album is the album that influenced a lot of people making music even today. It started a lot of genres and helped push others along like post punk, art rock, alternative rock, and lots of others. Also the playing on the album is top notch. The drums are great, the guitar play on the title track is legendary, and Friction fucking still slays every time it comes on for me.

This was an album that kind of clicked after a bit for me, even though it is super entry level compared to some stuff on this board. Basically it's another case of impact overall. It started noise rock, punk rock, art rock, and the lyrics talked about things that you really couldn't talk about until the Velvets did (the frank talks of drugs, sex, and all that fun stuff the kids are into). It's a very cool album considering it is way ahead of its time.

For me, I could never get into this album or see the appeal of my pic. It was always such a boring listen, even if I isolated myself in a room. It was just a bunch of noise to me.

Watch lost in translation then listen to it. That film creates the feeling the album is shooting and features some tracks from loveless.

Forgot pic whoops

Angsty teenage band? Are you serious? You can't even hear the lyrics. Vocals are used as another instrument in shoegaze. I'd recommend watching this video:
youtu.be/KQsdO8e8fwY

it's easy and simple enough for anyone to get into so it has this huge praise from all kinds of people.

Plus it's so emotional. The stories told are captivating and you can really hear his sincerity in his performance. I think it's an excellent album.

This isn't really an album you want to completely focus on. Imagine being a kid and lying in bed half-awake while your parents watched television dramas in the other room.

>He is always screaming
Factually incorrect, but for the hell of it try earnestly singing along.

> the melodies don't seem that great.
This is what plebeians actually believe.

We just had a thread about it:

your responses

I know this is the plebiest reason but her voice is so irritating. I'd rather listen to nico, the tallest man on Earth, and Bob Dylan yell over the top of each other than her.

I love her narration in Inherent Vice so idk what the fuck is wrong with me

Wow zero responses with any sort of semi-decent explanation and two video links. Again. Great.

Ok, he isn't always screaming, but the scream part really drifts you away

And the melodies seem average

Another quality post by Anonymous !

Rather than type out the exact same post, I'll just redirect you so that you may read it again.
See:

her voice is different now than it used to be

>other anons explain

I liked her voice even less on Divers somehow

Ok. Thanks for not explaining what sounds so great about the melodies

Even Ringo starr seems to have made melodies as good as those from ITAOTS

Yeah see, that doesn't appeal to me. I do like it when an album sucks me into a world it's creating. I've just recently started listening to GY!BE and loved F#a# a lot. Loved the dystopian apocalyptic feel it brought on and the world it created sonically. It was a very immersive experience and I was almost bummed it was over when it ended because I was just fucking entranced.

But that seems like a really boring concept to me. Being a kid listening to my parents watch tv? Fucking lame dude. I'll take post-apocalyptic "rock" music any day over a boring concept of half tv shows while being a child.

Thats not the concept, its just one way to think about it. If you want super epic world ending post rock ftw then check out Explosions In The Sky.