What was this place like?

What was this place like?

It was a magical place.

As a kid I loved Blockbuster as well as the small independent rental stores. It usually meant we were not only going to get a movie, but a game for me as well. Still remember the thrill of being just old enough at the tail end of their reign to rent the Skin-a-max flicks just to see titties.

There's actually still 15 Blockbuster franchisee locations in existence but they're mostly in Texas and Alaska.

Loved it, rented a movie with a fake name and number, never returned it and just threw them in the trash years later.

I worked at BB from 2001 - 2005. It was the best job I ever had

>manager didn't give a fuck
>get baked and go in late
>had a TV set up at the register to watch whatever movie
>boss just sat in his office and played PS2 games all day
>flirt with cute coworker
>tell people we didn't have x movie just so i wouldn't have to go find it
>get free access to literally every movie/game that came through there

I stole so many movies and games from that place. i miss it there. better times.

if you're old enough to post here, you're old enough to have stepped into a blockbuster. post this again in 5 years

I went to a Chinese restaurant a couple of weeks ago and as soon as I stepped in memories hit me like a freight train. It was the carpet. They also had good steamed pork buns.

POST >YFW

Imagine a place with seventy five copies of "the Gingerbread Man" but only three copies of Titanic.
Imagine a place where all anime, regardless of sexual or violent content gets put in the kids section.
Imagine a place with late fees.
That place was Blockbuster.

>Imagine a place where all anime, regardless of sexual or violent content gets put in the kids section.

there's literally nothing wrong with this

So many happy memories.

Jumbo video was the best. Popcorn while you walk around browsing.

Raise your hand if you or a member of the family was heard cursing out the house upon finding a tape that was due weeks or months ago.

trying to brag about being a pothead junkie who works at fucking blockbuster and flirts with ugly fat whores while still getting rejected is pretty pathetic user

autism the post

>but why did they go out of business guys?!?!
Yeah nah ur a cunt

Sounds like your family needs to get their shit together

>2001 - 2005

How old are you user?

Meant for

Imagine going to a place with the high hopes of seeing a movie you wanted to see.

Only to get there and find out that every movie you wanted to see is not available for you to see, but they can reserve it for you so next week you can watch it. maybe.

I miss renting movies and games from stores, pham

they always smelled weird

the main thing that I remember is candy being marked up about 500% from what it was at the grocery store or 7/11. Fucking crooks..6 dollars for a pack of gummy worms you deserve the fate you had blockbuster, fuck you

just reminds me of better times

I only used to go there to rent PS1 games cos my parents wouldn't buy me any

Made some good cash on copper, but my gf got triggered by the staffs were muh soggy knee also watch out for the crack heads

I loved that smell.

Blockbuster smell is second only to army surplus store smell desu

kek
hi grandpa!

can you describe the smell?

so you were 15 when begin to work in BB?

No disc worked
Employees wanted to kill themselves
They never had the movie you wanted
The snacks and drinks were overpriced
Only retards who don't understand how to torrent, rent from libraries for free, rent from local video stores for significantly less, hell even use streaming sites miss this place

correct

ohhhhh, a land where there's no instant gratification?!? sounds like every millennial's worst nightmare.

Here was what it was like.
First like 1990s every movie rental was astronomical like 4 or 5 $ then they switched their marketing to 99 cent day rentals, BUT THEN
it was two out for as long as you like for a price each month,
And that meant being able to go back to the store on the same say and get multiple movies.
I saw all the movies, thousands of rentals on my account.
To be young

>rent from libraries for free

It's great if you have a good library

>tfw can rent from any library in illinois

I never have to buy another video game ever again.

The video rental store chain in my hometown, a chain synonymous with local pride, just closed its doors. It seriously felt like losing a parent. So many great memories of renting games and movies for a dollar each

Tbh I really loved blockbuster. Really good memories my whole life, when I was around 20 they started going away and I actually cancelled my Netflix account out of spite. I just didn't want the world to change . Only movie rental places I still see are gross foreign places with 0 comfy

Also the smell of blockbuster , very specific

Brick and mortar stores are kind of making a comeback in some areas, though.

>pic related

They built a location in my hometown and it's always moderately busy when I drive by. Plus it's nice to have a place to rent an occasional Wii U game that's not GameFly.

Family Video saved me from wasting $60 on StarFox Zero and I'm very grateful for that

Ayy my town's family video is still doing fine as well somehow.

Is there anywhere that this smell still exists? I miss it

Magical place. Favorite place as a kid.

Too bad they went the way of the newspaper and failed to accept times were changing.

underage get out

Indianapolis?

Nah, Thomasville. There's actually several in NC from what I've seen but the one here does pretty good business.

Popcorn, candy, plastic, and puke

PROTIP: You can rent DVDs and now increasingly Blu-rays at your local library.

Library memberships are completely FREE in many areas, check yours.

They just added a bar into ours. Haven't been yet, but it sounds awesome.

almost like a toy store but for adults and kids alike

>that rush you would get approaching the game section
>that rush you would get being one of the first to gander upon the new release movie section
>the excitement of the idea that you and your bros were about to have some pizza, sleep over, games, and a couple action movies
>netflix and chill with no friends
>pixelated explosion scenes

ay good for them bruv