/daily/ - "ambent patrician" edition

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

>make charts
neverendingchartrendering.org/

>listen to tunes
plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel

>listenalong schedules, OP pics, etc.
daily-mu.blogspot.com/p/welcome.html

Previously, on /daily/:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kiQtEDrdYDY
rateyourmusic.com/release/comp/demilich/20th_adversary_of_emptiness/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/death_blues/ensemble/
youtube.com/watch?v=1SDa_Jqmuiw&t=8s
youtube.com/watch?v=Ni-WRcXmess
youtube.com/watch?v=ch-TDGW-zXs
rateyourmusic.com/list/woolite123/the-pyramid-hip-hop/
youtu.be/zwIkYB8QVZ4
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/山本邦山/銀界__silver_world_/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

youtube.com/watch?v=kiQtEDrdYDY

>Listens to Dialoghi del presente once

Can I have a list of albums that have been featured in the last few listenalongs? The last one I listened to was that John McLaughlin album.

meme edition.

Thanks dude I appreciate it.

The song was The boiling point by Outerspace

Alex Mauer - Eat People 123 (2008)
>chiptune

Well-composed chiptune that really evokes the nature of old game soundtracks, but god, it's way too long. Chiptune, especially bare-basics chiptune, is a genre that rarely requires a 20-minute EP, let alone an hour-long compilation. Mauer is a damn fine songwriter, though, which makes this a more interesting hour-long listen than something by another chiptune artist would be, but it wears thin by the second and third discs. The first disc is a damn solid chiptune EP, though.

2.5+

Tony Scott, 唯是震一 & 山本邦山 - Music for Zen Meditation (1965)
>new age

Pretty much exactly what you'd expect an album named this from the '60s led by a white guy to sound like—a schmaltzy, uninteresting bore. Yuize and Yamamoto both do good work, their backing work is the albums only interesting characteristic, but Scott's playing just disrupts the meditative soundscapes they lay down. Stereotypical new age through and through.

Sun City Girls - Grotto of Miracles (1986)
>experimental rock, psychedelic rock

Slightly more deliberate than what most SCG stuff is like, but definitely not skimping on their trademark weirdness. I do kinda like the structured stuff more than the experimental stuff, there's a lot of great surfy garage rock stuff here. They could write a damn good, no frills rock song when they wanted to. The experimental stuff is more noodly and aimless, but still alright, even if its something that they seem to get better at.

3.0-

q: where does edm live relative to idm?

a: outsider house

1337 ratings atm X[)

rateyourmusic.com/release/comp/demilich/20th_adversary_of_emptiness/

>Friends 4.31 from 8 ratings

Any of you guys heard this?

doesn't look like it
looks pretty gay if you know what im saying

who wants to plug get in here

A rare moment RYM wasn't wrong

This a good album to start Onkyo

Dumb

Stop getting fucking digits stupid nerd

AL-90 was pretty cool. You should check out Actress judging by the electronic stuff you like. Start with RIP.

yeah i've seen you boys talking about him(?)

imma check it out

also the 4th track on al-90 might be my favorite bleep

Yeah that was a great track. I'd say the album is frontloaded as fuck though.

yeah i can see that. 2,3,4,5 are probably the best four tracks lmao

It was a super strong opening, so I was kind of disappointed when the rest kind of washed over me. I'll probably listen to it again though.

i've been listening to music

those animal collective EPs are good, but not quite on par with the LPs. Prospect Hummer is still my fav or their EPs.

POWERVIOLENCE: INFEST is awesome, DROPDEAD is also great, DOOM wasn't as memorable, and RIG TIME! is solid but the whole album suffers from how garbage the drums sound. The cymbals are especially awful.

MOMUS is a new obsession, but he has amazing songs and no great albums (so far)

NAPALM DEATH is classic but what follows in the world of grind is much better. YOU SUFFER is a perfect song though.

New JACOB HUTTO record is on par with paw paw's songs, maybe better. really excellent recordings of phone convos.

FLOWDAN's DISASTER PIECE is better than his self-titled, but has similar issues in overall quality. Horrorshow Style is a quality tune tho

ISN"T ANYTHING is gonna be in my listening rotation for a while I suspect.

DAMAAR did not deserve the perfect score Zane gave it, despite the awesome intro and first song

MERCURY REV hit some high points for me but failed to maintain that quality

finally, MISS MIRACLE: I haven't heard a Torts record since he was called IRON, and this is an improvement. The best bits of IRON, MISS MIRACLE speaks to Idea Fire Company and the work that Jason Lescalleet and Graham Lambkin did on AIR SUPPLY. I hope torts collaborates or continues progressing until he takes over as the new Lescalleet.

Robbie basho more like rub me asshol

Hey borzoi !!!

I see I got really lucky and you disliked that Liturgy album more than what I recommended. I am truly honored. Hopefully you like this more

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/death_blues/ensemble/

sorry I disappeared thought summer internship would be around 25 hours when it is very much full-time at 40. Less time to shitpost now on /daily/

holy shit it's chicken alfredo
you recommended me
dreamend-i ate myself bite by bite
2 years ago and I loved it, among the best recs i've ever received
thanks

Ha, that's the album I recommended Borzoi that he rated a 2.5. I remembered how much you digged it and based off some of his folk/indie stuff I thought he'd like it. I'm really glad you liked it though. Album has just such a nice sound and concept works perfectly.

>he rated a 2.5
what a fucking pedestrian
>Album has just such a nice sound and concept works perfectly.
for real! one of the best indie/folk things i've heard. I listen to it way more than any NMH
which songs are your favs?

Love the vibe of Where You Belong with the weird synthy chords with acoustic guitar banging. Also the transition from A Thought to Pieces is always steller.

i agree on both counts!! aching silence might be my favorite though. one of my favorite bits of the album is the fact that the end song is 10 minutes long-- I was expecting that 3 minutes of silence BS but they actually made a great long song that isn't out of place on the record

anybody know any other albums with visual companions? they make music a lot more enjoyable

youtube.com/watch?v=1SDa_Jqmuiw&t=8s

youtube.com/watch?v=Ni-WRcXmess

Baden Powell - Tristeza on Guitar (1966)
>samba-choro

Effortlessly chill and often breathtakingly pretty music. Muzak-esque, sure, with it's over emphasis on instrumental background noise over anything else (go for Os afro-sambas de Baden e Vinícius for something more substantial), but too damn pleasant for that to really matter. There are some odd instrumental choices here for samba, and every one of them works wonderfully to create a weird atmopshere that's still incredibly chill. The guitar work is insane as well.

3.0+

Killing Joke - Killing Joke (2003)
>industrial metal, industrial rock

Bog-standard industrial rock with too much of a focus on the "rock" end of the spectrum. Nice and heavy, with some nice guitar work and some absolutely killer drum work from Dave Grohl (who should really stick behind the kit), but insanely repetitive and too much like every other generic hard rock album out there. Gets good when it's down and dirty, Coleman urgently screaming with his Lemmy-esque voice, but the more anthemic tracks ("You'll Never Get to Me") are fucking /terrible/. This could be really good, but it totally misses the mark.

2.0+

The Third Eye Foundation - Ghost (1997)
>atmospheric drum and bass, illbient

Turns out the closer to Drinking Songs isn't just a fluke, Matt Elliott is a damn good drum and bass producer. His drum and bass here is exceptional, and focused upon sadly too little. Dark ambient soundscaping is this album's forte, and it does that well, but it'e never better than when these dark, eerie backing tracks are combined with some absolutely hellish breaks. There's not a hint of folk to be found, and it's a perfect showcase of Elliott as a jack of all trades.

(1/2)

(2/2)

Last Exit - Iron Path (1988)
>free jazz, jazz-rock

Last Exit are a band perfectly suited for live albums and performances. Their music requires a sense of urgency and passion that the studio can't capture as well, which makes this album seem like a neutered, toned-down version of what they did so well on their live debut. I'm not sure if it's the '80s production that hurts this or the nondescript compositions, but a lot of their appeal is lost in studio format. Every performer here is still on top form, but the live stuff is so much better.

2.5-

Ah it's so satisfying to see these charts completely finished. I will post updates to the other chart as I'm going but I'm not very motivated to write full reviews as of late. Sorry /daily/ :/

I did see someone play the didgeridoo and a full drum ensemble on his own today which might be worth of a review in itself. I'll try and snap a pic next time, dude has been all over San Diego lately.

Tim Buckley's s/t debut was surprisingly solid. Maybe I've just spent too much time digging into his late soul/funk albums lately but this felt fresh and cozy. Some nice folky cuts and even some stuff near the end that hinted toward his interest in soul/funk. Nice but not quite amazing.

Radio Dept was fantastic. Maybe it's just standard dream pop and I fucking love the sound but it really stood out to me. The production is great and made the whole thing sound like it's wrapped in a layer of haze. It felt like a relaxing rainy day in the best way possible. Albums like this make me want to move to the northwest.

Early Day Miners - Jefferson at Rest was a nice slowcore album, with cool civil war/reconstruction themes. The thematic element was a nice touch but it didn't help propel this much beyond a standard album in this style. Good stuff regardless, it was cozy.

requiem for dying mothers pt 2 fucks me up

The Can - Monster Movie (1969)
>krautrock, psychedelic rock

Goddamn, they really came out of the gate running. Besides the very noticeable lack of Damo Suzuki, this is pretty much the Can we know and love. Sick grooves from Liebezeit, textural guitar work from Karoli, and funky as shit bass and organ lines from Czukay and Schmidt respectively. The first three tracks are solid, punkier than anything else by Can but still very meditative and groovy, but all three of them get overshadowed by the monolithic "Yoo Doo Right". The groove running throughout the track is incredible, and the way the track slowly and quietly shifts is something to behold. One of the bands best tracks, and while thismay not be one of the band's finest albums, that's an extreme testament to their quality.

3.0+

truth

>Jim O'Rourke - Eureka
A very pleasant album that makes use of many different instruments and styles, all blended together in a masterful way. Sometimes feels a little too basic and straightforward, but what Jim does here he does extremely well, with excellent songwriting. 3.5/5

>Animal Collective - Spirit They've Gone, Spirit They've Vanished.
Despite being pretty lo-fi, the real draw on Spirit They've Vanished is the sound design. Everything here is black, celestial and inky, just like the album art. The songwriting is good, but nothing spectacular (Dave writing Penny Dreadfuls when he was only 16 is very impressive, though). But I think a lot of people confuse the amazingness of the closer (Alvin Row, one of my favorite songs ever written) with the (much lesser) quality of the rest of the album. Still, solid throughout. 3/5

>Animal Collective - Danse Manatee
Equally great sound design as the previous album, with lackluster actual songwriting and creativity. Any given track is either stretched to long, or too short and not developed enough. Ahh Good Country stands out from the rest, though. 2/5

I don't think I'll ever like this album as much as other people do, and I love ambient

How do you think Syro stacks up to the other Aphex Twin albums? Bad opinion here but I think it's his best.

A lot of bad opinions in this whole post actually

I need more like this please help me
youtube.com/watch?v=ch-TDGW-zXs

Steve roach you fucking cock

Why is your discography such a meme

Radio Dept is very comfy, I gotta get on relistening to their Lesser Matters. Don't remember much from their debut.

Iktf

I saw that review on RYM actually! I think there's some fantastic ideas, especially on the first half but it seemed to drag imo. Aphex is kind of frustrating to me cause he always gets me in a very mellow mood and then throws DnB or IDM shit at me. Syro was like the prime example of that in my mind. I guess that's part of the point but that's most of why I like the SAW albums better, they don't do that quite as much imo

I'm also working my way back through his albums for the first time in probably two years so maybe my opinions will change

Yeah this album was super nice, so I'm sure Lesser Matters is great as well!

>Aphex is kind of frustrating to me cause he always gets me in a very mellow mood and then throws DnB or IDM shit at me
That's definitely what makes his work special to a lot of people. It's been said so many times before, but the absurd, organic feeling he instills in Drill & Bass is what makes his music calming and discomforting at the same time. Though I like drukqs the best, which was more spooky than anything so I dunno

Yeah I figured that was part of the appeal and I definitely appreciate it but it tends to frustrate me after a while. Then again, I'm not really big on electronic music compared to other genres/styles so what do I know?

I've been meaning to check out drukqs, I'm definitely gonna scope it out soon cause I've heard it's super interesting.

Also I just updated my hip-hop list if anyone's interested. I've definitely learned I lean /trad/ within the genre, especially compared to most of Sup Forums / RYM. Order isn't super set btw.

rateyourmusic.com/list/woolite123/the-pyramid-hip-hop/

Anyway, if you have any suggestions, comments or whatever, I'd appreciate it.

It's the divisive album for many fans. There's prepared piano pieces, some of his most intense D&B work ever, unnerving ambient interludes, calmer pieces that harken back to his older material, a recording of his family... It's crazy and I love it.

It seems like one of those albusm that contain the artist itself, which I love

I've been reading about Animal Collective since I'm finishing their discog, I find it weirdly satisfying that little old Deak made an album that basically everybody agrees is way better than what the other 3 made.

Also solo Geo when

if u think panda is worse than deakin u got another thing comin

never

so /daily/ how are those last 100 rating genres looking

This might be taking in my wishlist entries I have no idea.

I meant collectively, pun not intended, with Painting With

like PW came out, got panned, and then SS came out and revieved critical acclaim

Mostly backlog, revisited some vaporwave deserted in my library, and some tourney reccs

I think indie pop came from rating some Gorillaz and Phoenix releases

And the 1975 :^)

hmmm

Not exactly what I was expecting

listened to a few more albums from this chart i put together of a lot our your recommendations. someone recommended i listen to johnny foreigner but didn't give an album so i just skipped it, also a :( indicates that i wasn't able to find the album online, so if you happen to have a download link that would be very nice of you!

All in all these some pretty good shit here. I've always been a little skeptical of fushitsusha because i'm a huge lrd fan and thought they were just a rip off band, but 1st is really it's own thing, lrd influence and all. maybe it's just a little less aggressive or maybe it's just a different attitude towards bass, but i shouldn't have put off listening to them this long.

youtu.be/zwIkYB8QVZ4

googled

i didn't say i had trouble finding that one i know how to use google you cuck

nice, rec me some post-bop
what microhouse did you listen to
king of kpop
rec me songqriter stuff

huh, wasn't expecting to see breakcore on yours

maybe I just don't know your taste well enough
>the 1975
wew

>tfw there was a period of time when I liked Girls
haven't listened to it in a while tho so maybe my opinion will change
>K-Pop at the top
real shit
interesting

based on what I know about you, I was expecting to see a hip-hop genre take the number one spot but dang
>speedcore
>gabber
wewerino
>rec me some post-bop
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/山本邦山/銀界__silver_world_/

>huh, wasn't expecting to see breakcore on yours
Most of it I find just ok, but when I find albums that do it right it's soo good. Batfinks included, alot of his old songs involved breakcore.

it's so great tho

ya

>Batfinks
ohboy.jpg
>Happy Hardcore
could never get into this desu

huge memes
relative memes
total memes
one of these things is not like the others
not enough hip hop
BIg memes
zolo more like dunno ha ha

>experimental rock
now that's always gonna be a huge meme

whats wrogn wit speedcore and gabber u fuck boy

>gabber
nothing
>speedcore
everything

>tfw there was a period of time when I liked Girls
what made you gay

Chemicals.

gm
pretty accurate actually

lol it's like listening to an apples in stereo cd that got run over

Sick I haven't gotten to round two yet so you're good!

>what a fucking pedestrian
>:-(

>one of these things is not like the others
is it "electronic"

pretty ok

is it true that cleaning products and stuff are making us gay? apparently they alter hormones or something but i dont know what to believe anymore

Hey I want some happy hardcore recs, I've listened a lot to EasyFun's Deep Trouble EP and that's basically just happy hardcore with lots of bubblegum

I love happy hardcore and bubblegum bass when it has a kind of sad undertone if you get me

Idk dusting my stuff does make me want to suck dick tho ngl.

"wewerino" does not denote bad u nerd
classic
>pretty accurate
damn

do u often lie on your cataloging or something
kvlt AND skramz in one?!

buddy, I think you're required to FUCK my WIFE
>Schermafbeelding
is this screenshot in Dutch

that's great

Got a few albums to update on;

>Talking Heads - Talking Heads: 77. This album felt kinda front-loaded with Tentative Decisions and Happy Day being my favourite songs on the album by far, the vocals on Who Is It? Seemed kinda odd, like something that'd come out of mrweebl of all things. No idea how Psycho Killer is so well known, never heard the track before and to me it just sounds like a kinda bland new wave track, my opinion may change over the next few listens of course.
>Talking Heads More Songs About Building And Food. Wasn't even aware of this album until a couple of days ago, a lot better than I expected, like the watery synths on Artists Only and Byrn's vocals per usual are stellar.
>Talking Heads - Fear Of Music. Was very excited to play this for the first time, only listened to it once so far though I see this is where the Afro-inspired percussion came into play, I Zimba is a brilliant album opener and the album itself seems very promising for future listens, Life During Wartime and Air are great too.
>Talking Heads - Remain In Light. Jesus, if this isn't one of the greatest albums I've heard, its a shame Sup Forumstants will reject this due to its relative popularity on the site thus meaning that you're not allowed to like it. The percussion gets me running around the room and doing stance poses and shit especially when Belew's synthesized guitar smashes into the Great Curve alongside the vocal harmonies of Byrn and a bunch of black women, its like some musical orgasm. Born Under Punches is fucking godly, especially when that esoteric synth starts button-mashing some melody out in the last third of the track. Once In A Life Time is of course a gem and Overload is nothing short of amazing. Fuck me...
>Thundercat - Drunk. This is the musical equivalent of snuggling up to a chubby, cozy bf whilst watching City of God together. Its very comfy and Thundercat's vocals are beautiful as usual, what do you call his? They sound so light and cloudy.

that review of RiL reminds me of when it blew my mind in 2014

that was the first thing I listened to after going through a metal and punk phase and the moment that percussion started it off and Byrne went "AH!", I was hooked

excellent album my dude

>Twilight Ritual - Rituals. How is this not more popular? Given its status as a rather obscure coldwave album it is surprisingly accessible and very fun to listen to, Twilight guy's vocals have a distinctive twang to them that brings life to the neo-industrial waterworked songs such as Amorphous Materials and Closed Circuit, love this thing.

Indeed.

Stop listening to music.

>Sup Forumstants will reject this due to its relative popularity on the site thus meaning that you're not allowed to like it.
haven't seen that happen a lot desu, compared to other albums at least

I liked AL-90, that Russian microhouse guy trip up mentioned earlier. Something about the sampling being same-old for house, but very catchy at the same time.

Also listened to Nicolas Jaar - Nymphs III, which was just ok. Jaar's such a weirdo

Should have seen my abridged review earlier for their second album

I think I'm gonna go through EPs, which tend to have more dream pop-like material

>thinks Drunk is cozy
It's g a r b o

It was a very meme-filled week

>easyFun - Deep Trouble
One of the best PC music release, imo. I don't think I picked up any "sad" undertones; I just like how the way it's produced makes it feel slightly inhuman.

the joke is that Cilio (and Italian) killed himself

Indeed, does their later material hold up?

Make me, nerd!

I wouldn't say I've seen it being rejected on the same scale as Radiohead/ NMH/ Grimes etc. (inb4 yes Grimes is good, not the "greatest" or "most talented" or "most independent" or whatever, she's good and quite interesting given her attitude towards production though certainly overrated) though it does seem to be downplayed a lot especially on chart-threads where people have to pretend to like really niche albums so that the more established users don't get pissed, like I get that having 50 charts of the same material can be annoying though there are plenty of albums that are impossible frankly not to enjoy, you know?

Uuuuu, it was fun! What is Aphex Twin like anyway? I've always been curious though have never really bothered, haven't ventured much into electronic anyhow.

haha yep, scherm=display/screen; afbeelding=picture/shot;

can't decide if this is better than VoS because it pushes bland guitar noise way behind the synths like on their way early releases, or if it's worse because it has absolutely nothing memorable

Listening through some Death Grips

>Death Grips EP - 3/5
Much of it just ok or good-ish, though Full Moon is good, and Takyon and Where's It At (Death Heated) are amazing here.

Death Grips (Next Grips) 3
Face Melter (How to do impossible things) 2
Full Moon (Death Classic) 3.5
Known for it (Freak Grips) 2.5
Takyon (Death Yon) 4
Where's It At (Death Heated) 4

>Exmilitary - 2.5/5
Some tracks here are great but damn, almost everything else is filler and really boring and/or forgettable.

Beware 4
Guillotine 2
Spread Eagle Cross The Block 1.5
Lord Of The Game 2
Takyon (Death Yon) 3.5
Cut Throat (Instrumental) 2
Klink 3
Culture Shock 2
5D 2.5
Thru The Walls 3
Known For It 2
I Want It I Need It (Death Heated) 4
Blood Creepin 2.5

>not the "greatest" or "most talented" or "most independent" or whatever
but she is.
>you know?
no.

>Spread Eagle Cross The Block 1.5
objectively wrong

takyon is a 5/5

Fuck man I've just been reading about this and apparent there's oestrogen mimicking chemicals in cleaning products that fucks with our hormones
I don't know ow what to believe either

Nice ratings user, glad I'm not the only one who thinks Spread Eagle is rather dull.

>Spread Eagle Cross The Block 1.5
>Lord Of The Game 2
):-<
>that image
kek

hmm