How does a polar bear know what apples is?

how does a polar bear know what apples is?

How do you know what an apple is? You've seen apples, then tasted them, then remembered that that thing you saw that one time was an apple.

The polar bears nose can smell food at up to 1000 yards.

apples grow in the north pole

It doesnt, but it looks like hes about to find out

Goddamn I'm getting old.

what a dick whoever froze dem apples

Wft didnt know bears had such long necks

Wtf I didn't know bears had such long necks.

Right, its not like it will melt. The bear will fuck its teeth up probably trying to get the apples.

I didn't know bears had such long necks

is this a new meme or samefag?

Wtf I didn't know necks had such long bears

bears chew through bones and shit, dont think ice will do shit

I didnt dog bears hads such long keks

There are limited vegetation up in the north pole, and polerbreas are accustomed to the organic feeling and smell of something that can be considered edible.

>2017
>Not calling them polarbreas

Wtf! I didn't know bears had such long necks

Allow me to reformulate your question
>How do animals decide what to eat and what not?

Animals either know instinctively what not to eat or they learn from experience by trying and learning or they are taught or all of these, depending on the animal.

Let's look at the Cape Buffalo first for example. They know instinctively that grass is edible and that it tastes good. They are unlikely to try eating leaves or anything else unless starving, in which case they will often attempt to eat plants that wouldn't normally appeal to them and can die from attempting to eat poisonous plants.

Now let's look at Impalas. They are browsers and there are many many different species of plants to choose from, literally hundreds in their habitat. Impala and other antelope always nibble a tiny bit of a plant before feeding on it. As poisonous plants are usually bitter they will discover that in the first nibble and move on. This way they learn which plants are the best to eat. They also do this because many plants are known to use tannin when browsed upon to make themselves unpalatable. One tree species that has been studied and shown to do this is the Mopani.

Lastly lets look at elephants. Because elephants only absorb as little as five percent of the nutrients of what they eat, they need a wide variety of foods (and a large quantity) to get all the nutrients they need. All elephants grow up in the herd and learn from their elders not only what can and can't be eaten but also where to go at what time of year to find certain foods. They will even dig up minerals from the ground in order to supplement their diets. I recommend Cynthia Moss' Elephant Memories as a great read if you want to know more about this and other behaviour of African Elephants.

>but what does this mean?
>how does a polar bear know what apples is?

He learned it