Can we have a thread all about horror? I love this important genre and what it's contributed to film in general

Can we have a thread all about horror? I love this important genre and what it's contributed to film in general.

What are your favorites? What archtypes do you like and dislike? Planning to watch any as we appoach Halloween?

The VVitch is first on my list once October hits.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=F913LrBAMSg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Thread can only survive through memes.

I have a few movies I've been wanting to watch for awhile. Hopefully I can watch them before or around Halloween:
>The Thing (1982)
>Phantasm
>Suspiria
>Ringu

I'm about to watch Misery for the first time this weekend. Heard it's good.

>>The Thing (1982)

Go watch it now.

>Planning to watch any as we appoach Halloween?
Shit, I've been watching some lately. Hoping to find the classics and watch them soon, too.

Planning on the core Universal Monsters, maybe some I'd missed in the past, followed by Hammer.

I'm not sure if I have a proper playlist/schedule like I usually do for October. Maybe I should start one. I know Trick 'r Treat will be on it though, at LEAST once, if not more.

Will probably watch Night of the Demon again, too. Watched it recently but it's a favorite.

I'm all about slashers, love them since I was a kid and watched Friday The 13th. I don't even remember which one it was, must have been the fourth or fifth one. I enjoy all kinds of horror movies, but lately I've been tired of all the ghosts/demons/hauntings ones. I like them, but I need some new good slashers.

Who is the bottom far right? I know all the others but him.

Around Halloween I love Night of the Demons. It's a silly Evil Dead rip off, but it has some seasonal charm to it

checked

Egh... slashers are okay... I like some of the movies in your pic but I prefer supernatural elements to crazed lunatics. The biggest exception is probably Scream because it deconstructs the whole genre.

I really love the comedy/horror is anyone with me on this? My faves are The Stuff , The Reanimator, Return of the living dead... the last modern takes that I liked was slither.

Speaking of Frankenstein, I hate when people call the doctor character "Frankenstein" when everyone knows that Frankenstein is the big ugly guy with bolts in his necko.

I make sure to watch this and Halloween and the original Texas chainsaw massacre every Halloween

Every lead up to halloween night I watch my favourites alone for maximum spooks:

The Exorcist, Don't Look Now, The Thing, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Halloween are my mandatory viewings but I'll normally watch others too

Usually end up with few friends on the actual night, drinking and watching far more schlocky offerings. Sometimes silly yet entertaining stuff but more often than not we end up watching garbage-tier horror flicks for shits and giggles.

You know what I wanna see? A film in the tradition of classic universal monster movies about Spring heel Jack, or something else unsettling, eerie and other worldly, I find that to be the most subtly terrifying kind of horror movies

DONT
FUCKING
POST THAT

What the hell even...?

Best zombie ever

>garbage-tier horror flicks
Fuck yeah! Any recommendations?

Lol.
Btw
Son>Original>Bride

How did this get slid so far so fast

That movie sucks. Try Laid to Rest.

They all suck, slashers are shit

Killer Klowns from Outer Space

Made by a man who was actually jailed for film related tax fraud, The Legend of Harrow Wood is one part Blair Witch Project knock off, one part cringe worthy Kubrick fan film and half a part of an Edgar Allen Poe poem.

Occasionally during montages/dreams/flashbacks you'll hear Christopher Walken quietly reading Poe's The Raven for absolutely no reason.

There's also a scene with an ancient and frail Norman Wisdom who looks like he's been shaken awake minutes before shooting. He flubs every line so badly that they replace him in the same scene with Rick Mayall of all people.

Everything in this film defies logic and the ending is incomprehensible. Not because you can't follow the story (there isn't one) but because awful CGI rain makes it impossible to see whats happening in the last 10 minutes.

Gotta get it

>bride on bottom
Whaaat
Son was pretty good though.
You know, I still haven't seen that.
Holy shit.

I miss the days when we'd stream things. That could be a fun time.

Any Ed Wood Sup Forums approved horror movies?

The Invitation

Don't read about it, and do NOT watch the trailer. It's on Netflix. Easily the best thriller movie in recent memory

>Childhood is thinking Lugosi did the best Dracula
>Adulthood is knowing Roxburgh was the best Dracula

>Bride on bottom
I know it's an unpopular opinion but what can I say

Choo choo horrorkino coming through.

>We will NEVER get a decent Frankenstein adaptation

EVERY time they go "hey this story is good, BUT LET'S ADD OUR OWN TWIST TO IT XDDD"

Meh

Which one are you talking about?
I have seen neither.

Check out the Frankenstein movie from 2004 with Parker posie and Adam Goldberg, it was as bad as bad can get

That movie is fantastic how dare you.

>What are your favorites?
Alien
The Evil Dead
The Shining
Jacob's Ladder
The Thing
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre
Suspiria
The Amityville Horror

There are certainly more but those round out my essentials.

>What archtypes do you like and dislike?
I tend to like situations with smart/competent characters whose dilemmas are a product of forces beyond their control. That is, you do everything right, but it still doesn't make a difference. I know that's broad but it's a theme I enjoy.

>Planning to watch any as we appoach Halloween?
I haven't even thought about that yet but I should.

Great modern horror films

The witch
Starry eyes
Bone tomahawk
Splinter
The hallow
Livid
We are still here
The Borderlands
The canal
Kill list
Banshee chapter
Last shift

>bone tomahawk

What

>Banshee Chapter

Would've been 10/10 if they had a better budget. Knew very well how to be creepy.

>no Rosemary's Baby

Chug bleach

The Shining
Don't Look Now
Suspiria
Black Christmas
Psycho
Halloween

From 2016 I've seen The Witch and Conjuring 2. Liked them both. Don't Breathe looks like it could be good.
Any upcoming horror movies you want to see?

>bone tomahawk

Yeah

The 2015 one

Been a very disappointing year for horror...if it wasn't for the Conjuring 2 and Lights Out, I think I would've just cried. Not much has come out, either...
>the boy
>the forest

meh, the Hammer series is pretty damn good and focuses on Dr. Frankenstein rather than the monster.

>Black Christmas
>Psycho
>Halloween
Good choices.

>From 2016 I've seen The Witch and Conjuring 2. Liked them both. Don't Breathe looks like it could be good.
>Any upcoming horror movies you want to see?
I want to see The Witch but I haven't had a chance to yet. I like what I'm hearing about it though. And honestly I don't even know what upcoming movies are on the horizon right now. What's coming out soon? Anything that doesn't look like a shitty remake? Or maybe even a good looking remake?

Thanks for reminding me to watch that again.

I haven't seen many horror films but once October hits I'll be watch 2 films per decade. Pic Related.

You need to start 90's and above over

It's funny . My parents got it for me one Christmas cause I liked icp, kek

What? Fuck no.

Start at the beginning like you have set up or with the beginning of modern-day horror from the mid 60s and on. Don't start with the 90s, that's retarded.

They did you right, man.

Same poster, my mom loves horror. Growing up at young age she showed me the omen, the exorcist, the haunting, rosemarys baby, the universal classics, but always impressed on me that slasher movies are overrated trash. I still can't help but feel this way

Fucking drop It Follows.

The rest are spot on (enough).

But It Follows, while indicative of the decade thus far, probably could be replaced by a good film. Then again, I suppose it's not about "good" but more about getting something that represents the decade.

Although your 90's list is late 90's and you luckily miss out on the early 90's where the word "horror" was verboten and they had to call everything "Supernatural Thriller" or some such shit.

Dont mind be just dropping by

She sounds cool as hell, man. Disagree about (good) slashers but she has good taste.

She actually hadn't seen Halloween since she was a contrarian teen and I got her to watch it and she admitted it was better than she remembered

What about The Texas Chain Saw Massacre? Even people who usually hate slasher can't deny that one.

watch this one if you havent

the robert de niro Frankenstein from the 90's is pretty faithful, but its really boring and shitty

So was the book.

both Dracula and Frankenstein were written in the unfortunate narrative of somebody reading a series of letters. not sure why that was ever a thing, but its awful. Lovecraft has some stories like that, but they're much shorter and usually have spooky shock endings. might explain why there are so many different versions

>not sure why that was ever a thing
Epistolary novels allow for different, clearly delineated perspectives (and their interactions) in the same story. The problem is that, depending on the nature of the story, this juggling can also kill narrative momentum.

She's not a fan but her sister is. My aunt showed me alien, the evil dead series, Texas chainsaw, Halloween and rhe nightmare series. Also all the 80s action flicks like commando and let me watch south park on Saturdays. I will never ever forget being 8 in the middle of pokemania and seeing the chinpokomon episode.
They don't really talk.
My mom doesn't like chainsaw and didnt understand why her sister liked it so much, but my mom also like Scream as a guilty pleasure. We watched all three in a row. She made popcorn and put a shit ton of m&ms in a bowl. This means nothing to anyone but me, but fuck it

So, what do you think about the modern classics and crtitics' darlings like Babadook, It Follows and The Witch? Overrated or not?

Didn't care for Babadook and It Follows. But I loved the Witch

Personally, way over rated. Witch was fine but the other two suck

Thank you for CORRECTING THE RECORD.
5 cents have been deposited in your account.

They're my shit. If you care what critics think to the point where it fucks with your movie watching experiences then you're a dunce.

>Count Swagula

Absolutely patrician

youtube.com/watch?v=F913LrBAMSg

It has possibly the cutest thing I have ever seen

???

my favorites are:
cabinet of dr caligari
nosferatu
frankenstein
bride of frankenstein
nightmare on elm street (the originals)

i hate jump-scare horrors and slashers

>What are your favorites?

The Blair Witch Project
The Haunting
The Loved Ones
Fire In The Sky
The Borderlands
Black Christmas
Hell Night
Friday The 13th 4 and 6
Sleepy Hollow
Intruder
Scream 2 and 4
The Changeling
Freaks
Ghost Ship

Babadook was probably the spookiest as jumpscares are pretty effective on me
I liked It follows the most due to the score and I like slow tension
The Witch I think was just a very good drama

t. plebbus haterus

Always though I know what you did last summer was underrated af

The sequel was peak late 90's slasherkino

Scariest thing I've ever watched in terms of the sheer affect it had upon me was the diner scene in Mulholland Drive

The whole walk to the back parking lot my heart was pounding and when the fucking woman appeared behind the wall, it completely jarred me. Thinking about watching that scene to this day still makes me cringe a little bit, the filming is just fucking PERFECT

>This means nothing to anyone but me, but fuck it
Nah man I really think that's cool. It's nice to read stories like this.

gay

>Scream
>Dracula's Daughter
>The Exorcist
>Dracula
>Halloween
>Evil Dead

Those are my favorites. I will always argue that Scream is the best slasher of all-time.

Thanks bro

Drop Friday the 13th for Evil Dead, The Fly or Sleepaway Camp if you insist on a slasher set in a camp.

haven't see anyone recommend Dead birds yet. 1408 also comes to mind.

You want to extend that suspense part then I'd have to recommend Inland empire, probably the scariest movie out there.

Saw
Hellraiser
Hellraiser 2

Those are my top 3 horror films of all time, and my go to's when Halloween rolls around.

Bava's my favorite horror director, can't get enough of his stuff. reading his epic 1000 page biography/film study right now