Building a Desktop tomorrow.
What OS should I run?

The one you like.

/thread

Install Gentoo

od course ReactOS its like Windows but better

Win7, Win 10.

>REEEEEEEE linux

get fucked you just want to feel special.

Get a osx, linux virtual machine if you want to do shit on those os's but if you want a computer where you can just download a game and play it... go windows

Kali Linux

TempleOS

Plan 9

Real men use Novell or AS/400

agree

Ubuntu

Nah, just kidding, get a win10 like everyone else

WIN 2000

NetBSD

Windows, just for compatibility and gaming, if not just go fucking Linux honestly.

In order of my preference

>Gaming
Windows
Ubuntu
Debian

>Photo / Video Editing
Windows
Mac OS X (Hackintosh)

>Development
Debian
CentOS
Fedora
NixOS
Arch
Mint
Ubuntu

>Home Server
Debian
CentOS
FreeBSD

>HTPC
OSMC
Debian

>NAS
FreeNAS
Debian

>Router
LEDE
pfSense
Debian

Workbench 1.3

Aren't there many versions of Linux? Which is the most basic one?

Linux is linux. You actually dont want a "basic" one. You want something clean and well laid out or you will be lost coming from Windows.

Get a windows 10 key. Mine was from mrhightech or something, like £10. If you want to program or shit, pick linux.

Ayy lmao
Also, checked

You want the most loaded version
Mac OS is basically the Microsoft of *nix systems

Help me and I will post her nudes

FreeBSD

Many operating systems are built using the linux kernel. There are many linux distributions. Basic ones include Ubuntu and Mint.

linux, only dumb ass fags use windows

Yes, there are several versions of Linux.

Pretty much this

why not check for a MB with vd-t, decent cpu, second amd card and get kvm/qemu running.
cus i ave all them os this way

Linux gives you the most control, Windows gives you the most compatibility, Mac is pretty much down for the count.

depends on your useage.

Looks like there are over 9000 of them.

Mac OSX, its perfect for gaming

>gaymen
windows dual-boot linux
>not gaymen
linux
>faggot
fruitOS

pwrdwnsys /immed
faggot

>sadistic gaymen
windows 10

Back to Sup Forums

try dos , its perfect for your advanced kung fu computer skills

more like masochist
>Win10: I'm downloading something, and I'm not going to tell what it is. And then I'm going to install it without asking. And I won't say where I installed it. And you'll thank me afterwards. And ask for more.

Wannacry

mah nigga

dev?

>Home Server
> NAS
>HTPC
>Router
OP said Desktop, man. Go for Linux, OP, just pick the distro you like

Windows if you like games, Linux if you like to program or tinker, Hackintosh if you like to be productive/creative.

Great OS, not good for newbs.

Run Ubuntu or Debian in a dual boot with Win7. That way you have a secure, efficient OS to use for most things, and the least invasive Windoze OS for playing games.

epic reply.

Still you should run the OS that would stisfy your personal needs the best away.

That means you should try everytinhg.
Even anal, cause OP is always a fag just as I am, except if doubles.

Check em.

Minix

Most secure OS out there.

Install OS X and get the best of both worlds.
Linux is for tinfoilhats.

Ubuntu is gay (it's a distro for newfags) but it's a hell of a lot better than Windows, which is an epic pile of shit. I run OpenBSD.

Xubuntu. Easy for newbies, good performance.

>for games buy console

MS-DOS

OpenBSD?

They spend all their time porting shit.

Go FreeBSD.

FreeBSD is OK but will eventually turn ghey - they are heading down the path to adopt systemd/launchd.

I game on Ubuntu/steam. It works great.

Apartheid Linux, if course.

kek

Join the master race, faggot

Linux just is a kernel, which means it just handles the most basics parts of the OS. It's the central brick of an OS but it's still just a brick. You'll probably want an OS to come with a graphical interface, hardware drivers and various basic programs, which is why when people say "linux" they actually mean a linux-based distribution, that can come with very different programs and settings.
Ubuntu is always recommended for noobies because it's very complete and user-friendly and works out of the box, without having to deal with a lot of painful settings and configuration.

Fuck that. 3.9 FTW.

Windows XP

Any distro from Mandriva to Fedora will work right out of the box. Unless you go straight for Slack or Plan 9 or something, or you have an IQ under 80, it's just a matter of personal preference.

Windows 10

When I say "work out of the box" i meant including able to handle the most recent hardware, especially like wireless or graphic cards, keyboard hotkeys, etc.

Linux for niggers

>I game on Ubuntu/steam. It works great.
>I only have 15% of the library windows has.
I like being stuck to playing only valve and indie games too.

XP

Seriously, it all chalks up to what you use it for, but windows is by far the easiest to use all around, Apple isn't good for gaming or modding and Linux is just confusing to the average Sup Forumstard. Unless your main goal and purpose in life is to do Linux shit don't get Linux.

ikr, who likes stupid triple A titles?

Gentle loving keks to both of you, fuck ubuntu as a gaming OS if you live in a 1st world country and have access to more than 2 megasquirrels of power just get windows like a normal human.

Gaming is lame anyway. Spend time learning to hack or code and profit instead. I'm 41 and have been making at least a 6 digit salary since the age of 22 - all because I dumped playing games and focused on my career. I will be retiring at 45.

Mac unless you're a gamer. Mac is just a better linux

This

Debian fanboy

Mac is certainly better than Windows but it's pretty stupid under the hood. Example: look at the process to change the hostname on a macOS box. It's a hipster bastardization of Unix.

>Mac is better than linux
Fixed.
Mac is UNIX, Linux isn't.

Why not both? I run Windows, FreeBSD, Kali, and Mac.

Then again, I have a fuck ton of computers.

>Mac is UNIX
Fail.

Look it up, genius. BSD.

Windows 2000
Last and only good OS there ever was.

Because money.

N...not even windows 7, purist user?

>purist user?
Purist and doesn't choose Xp?
Everybody's favorite Windows?

anything but macos

Yeah, I'm feeling the pinch now. Luckily I bought all those computers before I lost my job.

This user right here.

I actually play mostly indie games, therefore way more than 15% of my games are actually working on it. AAA games are getting more and more shitty anyway, but still some great titles are available like Divinity TOS, Torchlight 2, Metro 2033 etc.

I dual boot Debian and Windows 7.

What % of time do you spend in each OS?