Blow up death star

>blow up death star
>film ends 3 minutes later

was it a mistake? or was the pacing perfect?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Tj-GZJhfBmI&t=1m39s
twitter.com/AnonBabble

what'd you want, the after-party for the awards ceremony? A lot of movies in the 70's the credits, oddly, begin to roll like 3 seconds after the climax.

>begin to roll like 3 seconds after the climax

Actually, that would have been fine as well. If they cut to credits right after the some congratulatory dialogue for having blown the Death Star, the film wouldn't lose anything.

what the fuck was lucas thinking?

youtube.com/watch?v=Tj-GZJhfBmI&t=1m39s

it was a film as perfectly paced and edited as any ever made and stronger on those counts then any of the sequels, Empire included.

That music can add a lot to the emotional tone of a scene.

Yeah it would. There's this thing called "falling action". You can't end a feel good adventure film on an adrenaline surge or action. You need the ceremony scene to move to the next emotional beat, ie resolution, confidence, and relief that the crazy adventure worked out and our heroes succeeded. The audience gets to enjoy the character's success just as they do. If it just ended right there you'd leave feeling confused and unsatisfied. lrn2movies bruh

If there was no ceremony you wouldn't know if R2 lived or not. It was necessary

You can take away the music from most scenes and it will come off bad.

Someone edited out the music from the final space ship scene in ET and it was boring as fuck.

Personally I felt that the Leia/Chewie congratulatory blowjob -while ahead of its time and wonderfully shot- was unnecessary, could have just ended it after the shot of the Imperial children mourning the deaths of their fathers and nothing would have been lost.

>If it just ended right there you'd leave feeling confused and unsatisfied.
They achieved the goal which was to destroy the Death Star. The ceremony was corny and unnecessary, there was nothing left to resolve except maybe

You have no idea what you are talking about. The characters need recognition for their deeds. The audience needs relief and some time to come down from the excitement. People would have hated your shit ending. It's so terrible.

>You have no idea what you are talking about
Just because you think film should always adhere to a fixed classic narrative structure doesn't mean you know what you're talking about.

>People would have hated your shit ending. It's so terrible.
Because formulaic and generic endings are so great right?

It wasnt paced well at all, you get to literally 10 minutes before the end of the movie and they start fighting the death star, then you ahve the ceremony and the movie ends

i enjoy SW but ANP is paced poorly

Yes. That's what Star Wars is. I would make no sense to deviate from the tried and true formula that late in the film. Generic plot structures and derivative narratives exist for a reason; because they work. It works in this film because that's what it's trying to do. Films don't have to adhere to these formulas but that's what Star Wars does.

you're right and the billions who loved every second of it were wrong I guess

>destroy ring
>film ends 33 minutes later
was it a mistake? or was the pacing perfect?

Someone make a cut of this movie that ends like this. I have literally never watched star wars, and will happily give my first experience to proving this dude wrong.

It's hard for nostalgic manchildren to understand this, but Star Wars is an objectively bad movie. It's iconic today because of its technical achievements, but on a purely filmmaking level, it's pure garbage. Everything about it, from the abysmal acting and one-note characters to the cringeworthy writing, is shit.

>when john williams drops a sick ass kino

the entire pacing of the film was shit

>The ceremony was corny
fuk u

Classic movies aren't suddenly objectively bad just because you say they are, user.

This. There's a reason movies have music in them and, perhaps more importantly, scenes like this are written with the understanding that there will be appropriate musical accompaniment.