youtube.com/watch?v=ZgwEYZKTgLw&t=140s
youtube.com/watch?v=LgCUX4Ut_vU&t=54s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It's actually a nice language.
Except G. That's a no-no. Sorry.

Dutch women sound cute
I like the g

>I like the g
You like the "I'm gonna about to spit" sound?

It is a lot simpler than German for example since they dropped the cases long time ago.

1. It's not as gay as Swedish.

It's literally just German for retards

yes, like choking a cat

youtube.com/watch?v=sgiDZvYZyMQ

Isn't German German for retards?

fpbp

Moet dat nou.

As far as complexity, it is the English that is for retards.

>That blue
Why did you bleach your flag, Netherlands?

Well the biggest "redeemable quality" as you so unintelligently ask for I'd say would be the fact that Dutch nowadays lacks grammatical cases, unlike German.

Grammatical cases are a remnant of the past and any language that still has it should immediately phase it out.

That disregard for the Grand Duchy

It's scary how comprehensible the dutch language is for Germans... I didn't look at the translations or even the dutch words at the bottom and was able to understand almost all of it.

Same here. German is much easier for us to learn than French for instance.

It is a rare flag, so I thought it was Netherlands with a weird shade of blue.

Why the fuck do they read a "G" like an "R".

>That accent
Enschede is literally the Amsterdam of the east

>A Swede making fun of Dutch
Swedish is about as ugly as Dutch and Danish.

>hünke münke dönke lünke

A Dutch friend of mine lectured me on their abhorrent "G". Apparently the south doesn't use the gargling one, they use a softer, more pleasant version.

why the fuck are all of them so ugly

Swedish is a beautiful language, and many people will agree

Correct.

Pink - Harsh and gutteral. Standard Dutch in the Netherlands.
Green - Soft and smooth. Standard Dutch in Belgium.
Purple - Actually a "H". Dialectal in Zealand and West-Flanders.
Orange - English "G" (as in "good"); Standard in Frisian and dialectal to Dutch in Frisia.
Blue - Sounds like the English "Y" in Yoyo.

The brown areas in the heart of the Netherlands are Flevoland and the Wieringermeer, Polders with no native dialects. They tend to use the harsh, gutteral g.

That's what amazes me about Europe. You are such a small country yet you have considerable differences in pronunciation that are somehow maintained since the medieval times despite the influence of TV etc. I mean why would people speak differently within an hour drive from each other? Why didn't these sounds merge in a single neutral sound??

Please don't do this
These are literal plebs, people in Amsterdam look much better

It's a pretty good video tho. I feel that your language is very easy to learn for someone that already speak english (words and structure), but the pronunciation makes it hard to understand

Honestly I wonder about that too sometimes. We have hundreds of different dialects here, some are like a whole different language.
A person from Utrecht will have a really hard time understanding someone speaking Maastrichts.

The fact that's halfway between English and German is really convenient desu.

Dhdh

>Europe. You are such a small country
kys

Fuck off you edgy sperg. I meant Europe in general and your cunt as an example.

literally nothing

>Wat is u naam
>What is your name

why the fuck is dutch a language

Flemish sounds cute

Flemish soundst like a fat dutchman choking on his french fries

That's cherrypicking.

Probeer dit maar eens te begrijpen, kanker flikker.

because more than half of the population of amsterdam isnt dutch

not even memeing

from the vid right after that
>Mijn naam is
>Wat is dit
>Waar is het
>hier/daar
>Dit is een

dumb kankercloggnigger

London is also 42% foreigner and London has a way bigger population than Amsterdam, so stop chatting shit.

If you're in the right neigbourhood, Amsterdam is beautiful.

That's literally the most basic things, German is exactly the same.

Mein Name ist Hans.
Mijn naam is Hans.
My name is Hans.

It's because we're Germanic languages, eternal anglo.

a common mistake, we're actually romance

Versta je dit ook? Want dit is ook gewoon basis Nederlands.

You still use an awful amount if Germanic words.

Romanced german*

Because Dutch evolved from many regional languages (and even city languages).

It has been becoming more as one for centuries now. But we still have some huge regional languages. While the city languages have become dialects.

White flight. White people move to the villages next to it.

>English
>Romance
Nice grammatical genders m8.

Now watch him post the meme pie chart.

its pretty amazing, but whats even stranger is that until even relatively recently there was even more of a difference in pronunciation but tv/radio and urbanisation has leveled the dialects a lot so they sound more homogenous

it used to be, in a lot of places, that you could tell the town/village a person came from from their accent if you knew it well enough

if you go from town to town from brussels to sicily, or from brussels to lisbon, or amsterdam to vienna, or prague to vladivostok each adjacent town will still be able to understand each other, there are no language borders just shades of difference in these languages but as the standard language is spread by mass media this is erroded

you might even still be able to go from tromso to vienna and have this idk, you can still tell some swedish villages apart by thier accents

People from different regions sometimes also look different.

I'm still baffled that some people think that about English, really. English is neither Germanic nor Romance imho.

also how do I properly pronounce an "r" at the beginning of a word in Dutch
Hulp mij

because only Americans care about speaking "neutrally" and many countries don't even have such a concept.

>but muh latin

You have the best of both germanic and romance grammar tbf.

>it used to be, in a lot of places, that you could tell the town/village a person came from from their accent if you knew it well enough
Thats still the case here with most major cities (plus some minor ones from Holland).
I think perhaps 20% speaks with a neutral accent.
So even speaking with a neutral accent betrays that you come from a small village from the western province north holland or utrecht.

Yes south of the Rhine and in Flanders people speak with a soft G. Flemish Dutch is just better.
See for yourself and compare, the guy is Dutch, the girl Flemish:

youtube.com/watch?v=6JM79Z29oZ8&t=70s

youtube.com/watch?v=ZgwEYZKTgLw&t=140s

amsterdam is lovely im not being a dick its just true, id its mainly because there are a lot of eu citizens living there

I don't know, I think it's callexd a "rolling r" or something.

I know what a rolling "r" is but I've heard like 4 different pronunciations (of which only one was an actually rolled "r")

That stereotypical r is just for some parts of the Netherlands. In other parts people just speak with a rolling r like in Spanish or with a guttural r like in French or German

What do you mean "care"? Nobody does that intentionally. Unlike you guys, we don't even have a concept of a "received pronunciation" anymore. There used to be a Mid Atlantic accent which I think was pretty cool. But when the Dutch say they pronounce one single sound in like 10 different ways, you realize that is just an entirely different level compared to our southern or midwestern accents or whatever. Same with the British accents probably.

A few years ago I went to a club in the east of the country. And some farmer said I talked just like on tv.

But when I went to Amsterdam they could hear I come from the city of Utrecht.
So apparently I dont talk like on tv after all.

thats quite unique for a european language, id have thought most of this would have gone by now

is it because historically the regions of the netherlands had a lot of indepence compared to other countries? the dutch golden age reminds me of the city states of renaisance italy but with a unified country

the eternal anglo gets spread too much, the dutch should get more credit for mercantilist jewry

Oh thanks, these are nice.

Yeah it depends on where you are. I use a rolling r in my region, but most use the gutteral one.

Another example of Flemish Dutch

youtube.com/watch?v=LgCUX4Ut_vU&t=54s

Well, our religious borders kind of match accent borders.
Conservative protestants seperate hollandic, saxon and catholic regions.

But all old citied have their own accent as well. And between cities its more standard Dutch or a farmer accent.

And then you have Frisians and Luxemburgish people.

It's because we've always had "independant" provinces. We were only "The Netherlands" when it came to international affairs.

So now it's just more of a cultural thing.

>Luxemburgish
I meant Limburgish.

So small and so different. Why do Dutch people want to make everything so difficult for themselves?
First with the name of their country, then their language, then they for some reason started chimping out about catholicism which resulted in millions of deaths and they're literally building cities on areas that are practically underwater.

Believe the dialect differences get even bigger here in Belgium

The reason is lack of centralisation.

>its another new-worlders complain autisticly about europeans having a cultural heritage epsisode

Stubbornness.

Belgians are even more stubborn.

thats catholisism for you, same everywhere

Well that's because 'standard Dutch' basically comes down to the Holland dialect nowadays...

its supposed to be spoken underwater, of course it'll sound ugly on the surface

This was supposed to be CONFIDENTIAL information.