ITT: movies or tv shows with a massive genre shift halfway through

ITT: movies or tv shows with a massive genre shift halfway through

Other urls found in this thread:

letterboxd.com/silver_masq/list/movies-that-get-batshit-insane-a-shocking/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

From a classic boot camp movie to that "other" movie in Vietnam

Too lazy to search for a pic, but The World's End.

here's a list I got, I'll spoil the second half despite the fact these four movies are really well known by now and probably have been spoiled to all of you

>From Dusk Till Dawn
Tarantino-esque crime thriller set in the american southwest -> Evil Dead-esque slapstick vampire action horror

>Shaun of the Dead
Parody of police action movies -> police action movie

>Life is Beautiful
Period piece romantic-comedy -> Holocaust film

>Full Metal Jacket
Black comedy set in a training camp -> Vietnam movie

Did you mean hot fuzz?

TWE and FMJ change genres twice, each, they are three movies in one.

Good times.

Batman vs superman

Nat halfway through, but it really does change completely right after batman and superman fight.

>Scary Movie
Parody of a scary movie -> scary kino

Oh, lel, my bad. Yea of course I meant Hot Fuzz.

The problem with breaking up the film in that way is you have to assume the indoctrination/boot camp portion of the movie ends when they leave the barracks when in reality it takes the whole film for the marines to kill Joker's spirit through barbaric peer pressure.

I think 2001: A Space Odyssey wins

Chimp Out -> Space age scifi -> Scifi horror -> Surreal mindfuck

I haven't seen it but I feel like the trailers spoiled it big time. Is it just about friends from the past going barhopping only to find out robot aliens are invading or something? Because that was in the trailer. How does the movie compare to Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead?

The trailer doesn't spoil anything really.

What's strange about the movie is how schizophrenic it is between a comedy apocalypse film, and a bonding/maturing film between old friends.

from a crime thriller to a romantic comedy. total cast switch, too - the characters from the first half don't appear in the second, and vice versa.

Psycho (from crime/drama to horror/thriller)
Predator (from war movie to sci-fi/horror)

Once Alien's third+ act commences when Ripley is the sole human being for a trillion miles in any direction, this is when the film can be read as a raw horror movie, containing a horror-short. Now it's just the woman who has to get out of the haunted house before she gets got, and almost no dialogue is spoken in the last half hour.

I've had a revisionist idea: after Lambert dies, Alien could run with absolutely no audible dialogue-elements whatsoever, communicating all "countdown" information in terms of visual elements. Nothing essential would be lost, and something might perhaps be gained.

Interstellar

Sunshine

It has two actually

Is this good? I like Goose but don't care for any of those other actors.

I don't think its as good of a movie as the other two but it is still a solid Edgar Wright comedy and definitely worth a watch.

Goose dies 45 minutes in

not liking Bradley Cooper outs you as a pleb

Yes
Goose's character is basically the main character

Million Dollar Baby
The Prestige

it's a great film watch it mate one of the best movies of the past few years even if it doesn't really know what it wants to be

Prestige

Historical drama -> sci fi

From Misery to Ayy LMAO

Shit movie t bh

>Million Dollar Baby

Has one of my favorite twists ever. I don't know how spoiled people on this site are with this film, but if you're interested in watching it, please don't look up the twist. Just go into the movie thinking "I'm going to watch female Rocky."

Ehh it wasn't shit, wasn't great either, but it was watchable, more than you can say about a lot of horror movies

Agreed. The first part of the movie was great though. I actually enjoyed knowing what the second half was going to be because it made the first half all the more watchable. The second half didn't live up to the hype. I much preferred watching a road trip movie with two criminals and a family of hostages.

Ghostbusters 2016 would have been a better movie if it stopped being about female empowerment and starting being about assisted suicide halfway through. By the first hour mark, I wanted to kill myself.

pleb tier list but worth posting i guess

letterboxd.com/silver_masq/list/movies-that-get-batshit-insane-a-shocking/

Kill List fluctuates between Horror, Mystery, and slow atmospheric drama extremely well and extremely poorly

Harpers Island switches from entertaining slow whodunit /slasher to bad survival horror to the worst soap opera tier writing

Wake in Fright from comfy strayan movie to uncomfortable Australian movie

A lot of Danny Boyle movies, really.

28 Days Later shifts from post-apocalyptic zombie horror to claustrophobic rape horror.

127 hours goes from comfy hiking movie to body horror.

Repomen.

The movie would have been just fine with a street punk trying to get by working a shitty repo job but the Alien area 51 shit is so bizarre that I still think about that shitty movie today.

*Repo Man

There are lots of old black & white horror movies that does this. Basically the entire movie is just a build-up for the last 10-15 minutes where somehow everything changes. Like the channel had been switched without a warning. You think you're watching a comedy but you're really watching a horror show.

Freaks and the Cabinet of Dr. Caligari are the only ones I can think of, and with Caligari, its less of a genre shift and more of a plot twist.

this felt like 2,5 movies

Not actual genre shifts.

revenge movie -> trial movie

Based Spencer