I am 25 and never learned how to shave

I am 25 and never learned how to shave.

I use a safety razor. Do you ever go over the same patch of skin multiple times, or generally just once? Do you ever shave against the grain to get a smoother shave, or is it not worth the skin irritation? Do you wash your face first? How many times do you use each razor? Are there any techniques you use?

I shave once every one or two days, but I seem to knick myself a lot, like every couple of weeks, so I must be doing something wrong.

Other urls found in this thread:

westcoastshaving.com/Merkur_bymfg_27-0-1.html.
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Theres a site called badgers and blades or some shit that tells u all about it

sounds like some birds and bees shit

I read some infographic years ago on "manly hygiene". It recommends washing your face with warm water first, applying shaving cream, shaving with the grain, reapplying shaving cream then shaving against the grain. Leaves me with a pretty smooth shave.

Makes sense, do you ever get red skin after shaving against the grain?

lul what is this?

Is your dad still alive?

I've also found that rinsing out razorblades is very difficult, especially when there are four blades in the razor. Any tips, or is this just to be expected?

This is Sup Forums, an example of an image board. On image boards, any visitor may create a series of posts called a "thread," starting with an image and a comment. Other users can respond with comments and, optionally, more images. Conventionally, the creator of the thread is called the "OP."

May the "op" be by any change a faggot?

He's still alive, but his shaves are frankly terrible.

Yes, more or less by definition.

I always go with the grain. it just takes practice and a steady hand. also, look into getting an electric razor, or even just a regular beard/hair trimmer, it's not smooth as shaving but you can still get it really short, plus there is almost no irritation

>hot water on face
>bath razor in hot water
>shaving cream
>shave till hair is gone, with the grain or against
>???
>profit

>I always go with the grain. it just takes practice and a steady hand.
Makes sense, I have seen this advice before. Apart from skill, at the end of the day, an extra millimeter of hair doesn't mean much if your hair grows a few mm throughout the day anyway.

>also, look into getting an electric razor, or even just a regular beard/hair trimmer,
I used to use an electric razor as a teenager, which is why I never really learned how to shave. I'm not sure about a beard trimmer though; aren't those just as expensive as electric razors but designed to trim beards? I shave my face clean.

The main barrier to buying an electric razor at the moment is cost, but regardless, it seems like something I should learn.

Lmao you said the nword

Real men use cut-throat razors also called straight razors. Buy once, and it will last a lifetime. Only needs sharpening once every few years

I assume you dry your face before applying the cream.

In the event that I do bleed, the hot water actually makes it worse. Like I said, this has happened almost every two weeks, so like twice a month; it's enough to worry about. I have tried shaving both before and after a shower with minimal difference, but the main difference is the temperature of my face while I cut it. How convinced are you that the hot water is important?

Straight razors are surprisingly expensive, but you're right, they are tremendously cheaper in the long term, since the blades are not disposable. But it might be worth nailing down the best way to shave with a safety razor before worrying about straight razors.

Very informative.
I shall remember your keen insight upon further exploration of the internet.

>I assume you dry your face before applying the cream.
no.
> How convinced are you that the hot water is important?
i shave in the shower sometimes no problem without cream

Only on the neck for me, I usually avoid going against the grain on the neck

If I taught you how to sage, would that be a formative experience in your life?

My brother shaves in the shower and I have no fucking idea how that is supposed to work. Don't you use a mirror? Doesn't it get fogged up like immediately? I just can't understand it.

>beard trimmer though; aren't those just as expensive as electric razors

im not sure what the market for electric razors are these days but you can get a decent trimmer for around $20-50, but wont work for you if you absolutely have to be really clean.

Yeah that matches my experience. So you do your whole face and neck with the grain first, then apply new cream to the face, then against the grain on the face? This seems like a strategy that might work for me.

$20-50 is not even close to the range of electric razors. And no, I don't have to be "really clean" (though it seems to make a difference).

Do you do all of your shaving with a beard trimmer? Anything else I should know?

It is indeed that.
Birds and bees for retards who can't shave

>Don't you use a mirror?
i just check after for missed spots.

Just went to their homepage, the top article is titled "The Funky Sock Rebellion Is Dead: Standing Out Without The Clown Costume."

I'm not convinced.

So you just feel it out as if brushing your teeth and then check after you get out?

yah

Get a Double Edge safety razor. (merkur are best)
A good Badger brush and some. Feather razor blades...
Arko soap.

Hot water on flannel... Ring until moist not soaked.... On to face and neck.... Repeat 2/3 times.... Soak badger brush in warm water in meantime.
Apply Arko soap straight to face as it's a stick so just rub all over beard...

Work in with badger brush anti clockwise then clockwise then up and down and smooth off....

Start shaving with the grain downwards.... Rinse downwards rinse....

One all clear on main hair rinse and resoap.
Go left to right and right to left with razor....
Rinse /soap...
Go upward and diagonal on neck to get around windpipe....

Rinse... Feel how smooth you now are and realise you enjoy shaving!

Get a razer with more blades and after shaving put 70% alcohol on you hands and pat your shaved area down with it. It will kill bacteria on your fucking face.

Arko soap.

Hot water on flannel... Ring until moist not soaked.... On to face and neck.... Repeat 2/3 times.... Soak badger brush in warm water in meantime.

Work in with badger brush anti clockwise then clockwise then up and down and smooth off....

Rinse /soap...

>using anything but water and a sharp razor to shave

fags

yes, only hard part is the sideburns

i only use the trimmer unless im going somewhere special(dates,formal events, etc). it can make it really short which is good enough for me, or i can grow it out as much as i want. i also use the trimmer else where, like neck, pubes.

Thanks fam.

Your in the wrong place fellah

ht
tps://www.badgerandblade.co
m/forum/

Arko soap.

Rinse /soap...

>Get a Double Edge safety razor. (merkur are best)
>A good Badger brush and some. Feather razor blades...
>Arko soap.
Your advice comes at a high cost. Like $40 a blade. I don't want to give you the impression that I have money to spare.

>Hot water on flannel...
Are you fucking kidding me?

>Work in with badger brush anti clockwise then clockwise then up and down and smooth off....
This isn't a goddamn potion from Hairy Potter, I will go clockwise first if I prefer. I appreciate that you are trying to help, but honestly get a grip here, you have managed to become the only person ITT sadder than myself.

>Go left to right and right to left with razor....
Look, even I know razors go up and down. What are you trying to pull?

More blades = more resistance...
Will pull and cause spots.
A single blade is best. Always

Ok just a quick overview for safety razors as that's what I use.

>Get water running warm/hot
>Wet and massage face and neck with warm water to open pores or some gay shit
>Apply $1 barbasol shaving cream to area you wish to shave
> Go with the grain over everything, clean your razor under running water often so it doesn't clog up, smack it on sink basin if you need to
>Optional, if you want closer shave go over again against the grain this time.
> Run your fingers over your face to check for spots you missed, go over them again
>Pat dry your face and use aftershave lotion if your skin gets irritated.

Basic setup, get a good skin oil, lather and aftershave,

Wash your face, or take a shower first
Face with hot water
Put oil on face
Put shaving cream on face
Shave wiith the grain
Rinse with hot water
Apply oil and cream
Shave across the grain
Rinse with cold water
Aftershave

Make sure you have a good sharp blade, and you shouldnt ever nick yourself with that technique, you generally dont want to shave against the grain with a safety razor

I'm going to the North pole for the Summer.

I think you meant to create an https hotlink but you dun goofed. Anyway, that is the same site I just visited. Check their homepage.

40 a blade? Hahaha Wtf? You clearly know fuck all.
They are about 10 dollars a pack of 100 you fucking pleb.

Left to right removes shit loads more. You asked how to shave. Why don't you fucking listen when someone advises!

Sadder than you?
I'm a wet shave barber you dopey prick. It's my job to know.

Finally... Take the advice or close the thread and fuck off back to being a spotty neckbeard sweaty twat.

Your call.

>you generally dont want to shave against the grain with a safety razor
why?

Asks how to shave, gets mad at the answer. Asshole.

No I broke out down as didn't want to retype if 4chin blocked the post

This seems pretty close to what I do. The only issue I have is that I wash the blades after every goddamn stroke and it still winds up partially clogged with hair. That probably doesn't matter, but I've always wondered if at the end of the shave there was a good way to remove any remaining hairs.

>Put oil on face
Oil like I'm a Greek hero? Should I grab some olive oil from my cupboard?

What even is "oil" in this context?

This isn't the 1800s you autistic hipster faggot.

See 1-2-14-11-8-7 to back up what I say.

>40 a blade? Hahaha Wtf? You clearly know fuck all.
>They are about 10 dollars a pack of 100 you fucking pleb.
Merkur razors are sold online here: westcoastshaving.com/Merkur_bymfg_27-0-1.html.

$40 to start. Obviously they don't charge that for every blade, but they still charge the same standard rate every other vendor charges, meaning I am out $40 to try this whether or not I go for that brand.

Just did and yea is an article on God knows what. Its the forum you need

*Tips fedora* Le good sir

Very convincing. Did you draw that yourself?

Googled it, apparently it is a real diagram for barbers. I'm still not shaving that way. But if you do shave that way, I guess you're the best.

For the razor yes! But not the blades as you said. Proving you know nothing John snow.

This is a full steel razor that will last longer than you will.

There are ones still being used from WW2

Its a quality bit of kit.

You can buy cheaper D.E razors. Does a similar job but not engineered to cut as close or bend the blade so well.

Your call. You asked for advice I give it.
If your serious about getting a nice shave How's about not shooting every suggestion down and listening to it.

Ask for one for Christmas off santa buddy. If you have been a good boy he may deliver the goods!

If I drew one it would say.. Use a cutthroat razor... Press hard... Drag left to right and go as deep as you can you autistic cunt.

yeah im fukken terrible at shaving
I always hurt myself
everyone thinks I'm too lazy to shave but actually I just put it off because I know it's gonna hurt

No fucking shit it is?

>This is a full steel razor that will last longer than you will.
It might be an excellent razor, but there is no such thing as "full steel," since steel is an alloy. All razors are steel alloys sharpened to an extremely fine edge.

>There are ones still being used from WW2
That is the opposite of quality. Would you want the same refrigerator they used from WWII? The same camera?

>Your call. You asked for advice I give it.
>If your serious about getting a nice shave How's about not shooting every suggestion down and listening to it.
I have literally no obligation to you. I didn't shoot your advice down, I told you it was probably too expensive. Some advice I've seen was useful. Yours was useful too, but not today.

Or I could lie and say I'm about to buy your fancy razors and become a better person by lying.

I've been using the same Gillette™ razor for like 2 years now, it's dull, it doesn't cut well, it takes multiple strokes to get anything done but I can still get a clean shave with it, just takes longer.

"nick myself a lot"
Goes at face like a strimmer on the lawn...

Doesn't take advice. Or follow a picture showing how to shave...
I'm done
Cut your mug to bits and have spots from hair follicles forever.

>I've been using the same Gillette™ razor for like 2 years now
I know Gillette is expensive, but just buy something new and I promise that you will appreciate the results. Razors do not last 2 years. They do not last 2 months. Really, it is time that you stop punishing yourself and buy a fucking new blade. Even the bargain bin will be a huge improvement.

Not my razor. I make fuck all off them by advising one to you.

Being used from ww2 because they still work. They are built to last and are still far superior.
Ask Gillette via email. They still recommend them over their "supercar" style plastic disposables.

As I said... Im done. Keep carving at your face like a kebab shop owner at the elephant leg meat

holy fucking shit you are retarded
a razor lasts like two weeks if you shave every day

I think you're confused about who is who in this discussion, but I don't weed-whack my own face. Nobody else ITT has supported your "picture". I have learned not to put my faith in pictures. I have, however, learned that shaving sideways is generally a really fucking horrible idea.

Maybe it's different in the UK.

So much autism in here, just grab a Gillette or something and hack away they're designed to work fine and you're a bunch of ugly fucks anyway so no-one in the world will care how well you've shaved as long as you've not got a patchy mess of bumfluff

>Being used from ww2 because they still work.
Right, but not the same ones. It's not like somebody has been using the same razor for the past 75 years. It's just that the company, like Merck or DuPont, has persisted. So has McDonald's. That doesn't prove the quality of their product.

I don't mean to be an asshole, but you literally just keep repeating propaganda as if it meant something. Nothing you have said has even suggested the quality of their products, just the history of the company peppered with random insults.

No you fucking dick...
LITERALLY the same razor.
Like a guy has found his grandads and still uses it.

What a fucking idiot. Sheesh

>No you fucking dick...
>LITERALLY the same razor.
>Like a guy has found his grandads and still uses it.
topkek

The company has stayed in business by selling each customer exactly one razorblade which each has used without change for their entire life.

I know. Razors are relatively expensive here, well compared to how much you make from a typical job. I'm from one of those shit countries of the world.

Razor.
Not blade. Original op has made that clear to you dude.
If you are trying to troll its a bad effort.

In which case it's a pointless thing to be proud of, since the part doing the work is still being replaced. Essentially someone's getting a hard-on because a metal bracket hasn't broken

Also
>Original op

>How convinced are you that the hot water is important?
Your facial hair is deeply embedded in your facial pores. When you douse your face in hot water it opens up those pores on your face, making the hair easier to shave away.

By all means, if you like having to go over and over spots and nick yourself countless times without the water, be my guest.

>Original op has made that clear to you dude.
But I am the original original poster.

The blade is all that means anything. The "razor" is just a fucking handle. They mark up the handles, but realistically, the actual expense is in making the blades. The handle could be made of paper mache and work as well. Or I guess you call it papier-mâché where you're from.

>Razors are relatively expensive here, well compared to how much you make from a typical job. I'm from one of those shit countries of the world.
The cost of manufacturing high quality razors is surprisingly dependent on material and energy and capital costs. Most items are substantially cheaper in low wage countries than high wage countries (otherwise living in a low wage country would be impossible) due to the difference in cost of labor. But when cost of labor is not relevant, razors cost a lot.

I spend USD 2.00 per blade and a few bucks per canister of gel, though those last quite a while anyway. I feel like that's a pretty good deal.

I ment the barber who got pissed off trying to help and you trying to troll.
The advice he gave is actually sound and obviously works.

The head of a d.e is engineered to bend the blade and set it at the correct angle...
This is a proven fact... So to say the handle is just a handle is b.s

You get a razor blade with no handle and go at it.

Or a paper mache one.

At least it'll end your bullshit... Because it'll also end you

To clean out razor blades, instead of running underneath water, fill the sink with water and shake the razor end of the blade in the water to loosen all the hair

>I ment the barber who got pissed off trying to help and you trying to troll.
>The advice he gave is actually sound and obviously works.
If you mean the 17 strokes, you're probably right, but I'm still not about to follow it. A method can be optimal and its 20-step process can still not be worth bothering for most people. Does the typical barber shave his own face that way? Does the typical bartender mix his own drinks the same way they do in the bar? Maybe they do and maybe I should. But it sure seems like pretentious advice to give to someone trying to learn the basics.

>The head of a d.e is engineered to bend the blade and set it at the correct angle...

Bro are you fucking serious? You think they patented a number?

Thanks, that's actually pretty useful. Do you like shake the razor back and forth under water?

They patented the style of the d.e
Hence why a plastic razor looks so different.

Not a number. A style of razor.

So yes is the answer to that fucktard

I shave in the shower just before the end, after shampoo, conditioner and then whatever gel I have applied has sank into the skin

Can shave against the grain this way with absolutely no problem at all

>Not a number. A style of razor.
According to you, their "style" holds the blade "at the correct angle." That would be the number. You may recall from geometry that angles are numbers.

>You get a razor blade with no handle and go at it
You mean... Like a straight razor or a cartridge
Works fine. You're retarded. A handle IS just a handle

Same, no need for all the fancy hipster shit and badger arse brushes. I thought about getting all that stuff once but then I turned 20

>Works fine. You're retarded. A handle IS just a handle
I mean this is totally true except that most manufacturers are smart enough to create brand-exclusive sockets, so you can't buy an incompatible blade with your handle. I agree in every other way, but I have tried to socket blades into incompatible handles with no success. The handle is literally just something to grab, but the manufacturers have effectively made it exclusive anyway.

All he mentioned was shampoo, conditioner, and "whatever gel," which is reasonable enough. Glad to hear confirmation from multiple posters. You think shaving after a typical shower has served you better than shaving before it? That is my usual dilemma, after all.

NO! DON'T SHAVE! You'll look way more awesome with a beard. Beards always look manly and cool. And it's cheaper long term! Just don't ever shave!

im dont do the whole hipster shit.

but ive had a safety razor for the last 3 years. buy a pack of blades once a fortnight.

use a brush and shaving balm.

its a old method, but i believe its the best.

have a hot shower, wash your face, open your pores.

get out of shower, splash face with hottish water, grab the brush, rub it in some balm, lather it on your face, start shaving

i dont shave against the grain, its to dangerous with the safety razor, especially on your neck,

feather blades ( japanese) are super sharp and when i first started using those blades, i got nicks all over,

splashed on some aftershave and feel the burn. its great. don't bother with wasting tons of $$$ of fancy italian balm etc. waste of money got for the medium priced stuff, just as good, as lasts a good 3-4 months.

my face is smoother since i started using a safety razor to, it cut all the bumps and uneven skin off.

women like clean shaved guys. especially with aftershave.

women do like the 5 oclock shadow too, but only if you look clean, but most guys ive noticed with 3 day growth etc look like dirty bastards, and smell too.

wat

yes, also tap the razor on the sink under water to loosen more hair

Pewdiepie

Buy one. you fucking pleb. Shaving is supposed to be a test of your masculinity.

Leave retards be. Marketing does wonders on the weak-minded.

Your future with plastic-made disposable razors sucks.

There is a lot more metal on DE razor than there is on a disposable. What do you know about metallurgy? Production of what product uses less energy?

>There is a lot more metal on DE razor than there is on a disposable
wat

Every razor is 100% metal. Iron is not expensive. The questions are not about whether metal is used for a blade (fucking of course blades are metal) but about which metal and which details of production. Steels are famously sensitive to the methods of production, such that minor changes in the environment while producing steel result in tremendous differences in the product, from a tempered wrench to a spring. Nevertheless, all blades are some form of titanium steel. So let's explore that difference. Is the "DE razor" more titanium or more iron? Or more of both? Or neither?

nope, try again faggot

wow only sissy fags here?
Just use a razor, with the grain or against doesn´t matter. Use hot water to clean the razor. just shave like a man.
Profit