Why aren't there any good rock bands anymore? Can anybody name any good bands like the Velvet Undergroud, Pink Floyd...

Why aren't there any good rock bands anymore? Can anybody name any good bands like the Velvet Undergroud, Pink Floyd, Robert Wyatt, The Residents, The Smiths, The Ramones, Korn, Metallica, King Crimson, or anything that's actually new and interesting? Everything I hear from rock music like King Gizzard just sounds the same or is bad now like modern albums of previous bands I mentioned.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=X8hnp9M4JCo
youtube.com/watch?v=-Va1x8cJt9U
youtube.com/watch?v=xozVC-SVNmY
youtube.com/watch?v=pd_K8IlRDCY
youtube.com/watch?v=D5KlwGB9A5I
youtube.com/watch?v=j6yXdPhI3mQ
youtube.com/watch?v=Yaz5V6OFQlo
youtube.com/watch?v=KA7dUopnD0k
youtube.com/watch?v=2SVBTQQEd5M
youtube.com/watch?v=8gBmQxXlRuk
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Radiohead

((((They)))) only want you to listen to Trap and top-40 pop

youtube.com/watch?v=X8hnp9M4JCo

Rock ran out of creative steam towards the end of the 80s.
The 90s don't deserve to be as revered as they are when it comes to the big rock bands that they produced as the number of genuinely culturally significant rock albums to come out in the 90s can be counted on one hand. Loveless, Achtung Baby, Bee Thousand, Songs For Drella and fuck, I don't know what else.

All that bands like Nirvana or Oasis or Radiohead did was water down and modernize the sounds that were kicking around since the late 70s so that any dipshit 14-year old with a superiority complex could rock out to them. It's a dead medium.

horse lords are breddy gud and experimental like some of the stuff you listed

What about Spiderland or F#A# Infinity?

stereolab is a pretty great

>Spiderland

Slint were Rush for Sonic Youth fans. Elaborate compositions serving to distract from the utter vacuousness at the core of the music.
They deserved to be forgotten.

>F#A# Infinity

Overwrought horseshit bereft of any subtlety or intelligence. Impossible to take seriously.

Yeah, Stereolab were very good. My bad for forgetting about them.

oh, and Primus were pretty great too, I forgot about Primus. Primus were influenced by The Residents and went on to influence most of nu metal
youtube.com/watch?v=-Va1x8cJt9U

Ween and Mr. Bungle made several better albums than Nirvana or U2 ever made

Songs for Drella is mediocre

U2 is fucking shit

because you don't have 50 years of retrospective reviews to tell you what's good so you can conform

youtube.com/watch?v=xozVC-SVNmY

You tell 'em brother. The kids today don't know any better, that why it's up to guys like us, who grew up in the '70s, to let them know about the good stuff.

Oh shit, the pedos found the thread

>Ween and Mr. Bungle

Dude, these are novelty bands. It's comedy music you put on when you're 14 and getting drunk/stoned with your friends. Come on.

>U2 is fucking shit

Nah, ZooTV-era U2 was and still is one of the most fascinating and culturally/socially prescient phenomenons in pop culture history.

FFHKS

I know they broke up a while back, but The Mars Volta were definitely new and interesting while they were still together.

Spot spamming your shitty album.

The Downward Spiral is probably more culturally relevant than Loveless, every video game from Quake to Fallout was influenced by it.

youtube.com/watch?v=D5KlwGB9A5I

Slint is very easy to understand if you listen to some SST bands. Some of Black Flag's more experimental stuff, like Family Man or some of their slower, Black Sabbath influenced material resembles a lot of the stuff seen on Slint's discography. A ton of Minutemen songs also seem to have had a lot of influence on Slint, the clean guitar and 'anglular' melodies and strange time signatures/rhythms are a lot like Slint.

Add in some hardcore punk influence and the scene they came from, and Slint is far less groundbreaking than you thought.

As for GSYBE, far from interesting or groundbreaking music there. Can't really see what anybody would see in that music, to begin with.

This, decades like the 80's were mostly bad for good rockbands.

Normal Rock is dead. Nobody with any sense of purpose wants to listen to four-piece, four-chord wank anymore.

My friend asked me to join his band and I told him to fuck off.

peep it man

Elder

youtube.com/watch?v=j6yXdPhI3mQ

Honestly I'm glad rock isn't mainstream anymore, that shit MTV was pushing in the late 2000's like 30 seconds to mars and post-American Idiot Green Day was awful.

As far as setting new standards in production is concerned The Downward Spiral is probably the most significant achievement in US rock music of the 90s but I dunno, Reznor's actual music always felt to me as a bit too derivative.

youtube.com/watch?v=Yaz5V6OFQlo
youtube.com/watch?v=KA7dUopnD0k
youtube.com/watch?v=2SVBTQQEd5M

Disco Volante is a great album, you absolute cunt.

Is anyone doing anything interesting with guitars these days?

I agree that the four piece rock band formula has expired, but the genre can be reinvented at any moment given the right circumstances.

You're retarded

>Dismissing Mr Bungle while shilling U2

"H" and "A" keys are broken. Sorry.

>California
>novelty

>the genre can be reinvented at any moment given the right circumstances.
well go on explain it more then

best rock album 2017 so far?

>a nigger playing an acoustic upside how
>thuger girls
not call rocker girls

shiggay

Look at this moron and laugh at him

>>Spiderland
>Slint were Rush for Sonic Youth fans. Elaborate compositions serving to distract from the utter vacuousness at the core of the music.
>They deserved to be forgotten.
>>F#A# Infinity
>Overwrought horseshit bereft of any subtlety or intelligence. Impossible to take seriously.

harry styles ;)

bruh check out lightning bolt if you're into that thrash

Show me the body
Ken Mode
Self Defense Family
Trapped Under Ice
Trash Talk
Title Fight
Basement
Just a couple I like maybe you won't. I will agree though that rock is either rehashing it's glory days or shit

the new big thief album is great

My Chemical Romance, overlook the fags that made the band "Emo" they are not emo.

Cloud Nothings
Have A Good Season

Why do people care if a genre stops being popular or "relevant" or whatever? Can't they listen to what they like?

People find it prudent to victimize themselves and their tastes, humans crave a feeling that the world is against them.

Rock as a genre is very much alive and still relevant, I would say in most of the world its still top 5 most well-known genres.
That being said subgenres fade in out of existence across decades, including styles, and the type of rock posters like OP want isn't in style right now.
Shoegaze was practically dead in the 2000's but now it's making a resurgence, Glam has been gone for a while but I would be surprised if it doesn't come back in the next couple decades.

Rock isn't dead, and it still experiments, it's just close-minded people have a certain idea what a genre has to be.
Some fans of "true 90s hiphop" think hiphop is dead because its different, and same goes for rock fans.
We still have indie rock, shoegaze, and post rock. We also have artists that like to do new approaches to old styles (like of Montreal adding glam/pop to Television-esque rock.

The argument a "true rock fan" would make is
>that's not rock tho

>Why aren't there any good rock bands anymore?
D E G E N E R A C Y

>that's not rock tho
But it really isn't.
Only post-melodic thrashcore is actually rock.

Will add that a lot of people don't consider The Smiths rock as they are jangle pop, I know if I showed them to any rock fan irl they would just consider it pop music with a guitar.
Also Metallica were never "new and interesting" nor were Korn.

Hi! It looks like you're a teenager obsessed with dadrock trying to find new music. Would you like help with that?

Put in more effort to find good music. I just discovered this band last night "The Backwater Fever" they're fucking fantastic.

>Radiohead
>Rock

lol

anything by car seat headrest

fuck off will

This is what happens when you give a retard a keyboard

You have 10 seconds to name a rock band from the last 25 years that is both critically acclaimed and culturally relevant. Please note that commercial success is not synonymous with cultural relevance.

Impossible Mode: No Nirvana.

Oh wait, you can't.

R.I.P Rock

Please note:
>The Strokes, Arctic Monkeys, Queens of the Stone Age, The Mars Volta, Franz Ferdinand, The Smashing Pumpkins, Oasis, Bloc Party, The Libertines, Blur, Pulp, Suede, and Interpol are not culturally relevant, as they have had no real cultural impact. You're not going to hear their music being played at a high school dance or have a large number of normies sharing them on Facebook or in the future remembering them the way you would a contemporary artist who actually has made a cultural impact (e.g. Beyonce, Kendrick, Kanye, Taylor Swift, Justin Bieber)
>Jack White is not a culturally relevant artist. Seven Nation Army may be a culturally relevant track but having only one culturally relevant track indicates a lack of longevity and thus a lack of cultural relevance as artists.
>Weezer only have one critically acclaimed album and it came out 23 years ago.
>Muse, Foo Fighters, Coldplay, Tool, Kings of Leon, The 1975, Alt-J, The Black Keys, Pearl Jam, Green Day, My Chemical Romance, Fall Out Boy, Blink-182, Brand New, Taking Back Sunday, Mumford & Sons, and Red Hot Chili Peppers are not critically acclaimed.
>The Flaming Lips, Sufjan Stevens, Vampire Weekend, Tame Impala, The National, The Hold Steady, Dinosaur Jr, Deerhunter, Mac DeMarco, Porcupine Tree, Beach House, Ween, Titus Andronicus, Bon Iver, Pixies, Spoon, Pavement and Modest Mouse are far too niche to be considered culturally relevant. This is also true for all metal.
>R.E.M., Bruce Springsteen, and U2 have not been critically acclaimed in the last 25 years.
>LCD Soundsystem, Radiohead and Arcade Fire are not rock bands

Linkin Park unironically

You're wrong about the Boss. Both "The Rising" and "Magic" were critically acclaimed.

hey op, went through this phase too. you just have to dig deeper

My favorite part of this pasta is when the rock bands that fit the criteria show up they get called not rock bands.

Fuck off OP

Anyone who listens to any of the following bands should fuck off from this board RIGHT NOW:
Ween
Jeff Buckley
Meshuggah
Tyler the Creator
Soundgarden
Wilco
Boards of Canada
Godspeed You! Black Emperor
Tool
Swans
Bon Iver
Minor Threat
Death Grips
Arctic Monkeys
Modest Mouse
Portishead
Sun Kil Moon
The War on Drugs
Death in June
Jane's Addiction
Van Halen
Grizzly Bear
Emerson, Lake & Palmer
Deftones
Big Black
Elliott Smith
LCD Soundsystem
Isis
Dream Theater
Hopsin
Run the Jewels
The Dillinger Escape Plan
Fleet Foxes
The Strokes
R.E.M.
Tame Impala
Devin Townsend
The Band
Public Enemy
Guns n' Roses
Kyuss
Limp Bizkit
Santana
Eminem
The Decemberists
Joy Division
Interpol
Weezer
Deep Purple
Sufjan Stevens
Nine Inch Nails
Pink Floyd
Leonard Cohen
Spacemen 3
Manic Street Preachers
Van Morrison
Jesu
Lynyrd Skynyrd
The Mountain Goats
Faith No More
Guided by Voices
Mastodon
The Prodigy
Beck
De La Soul
The Gun Club
Beastie Boys
Porcupine Tree
The Animals
fun.
Agalloch
Blur
Nirvana
The Fall
Elton John
Suede
Childish Gambino
Bob Dylan
The Smiths
Metallica

It's hard to classify Stereolab as solely a 'rock band' though

They incorporate electronic elements and straight-up pop sensibilities A LOT more than features of rock music

>ctrl + f 'Battles'
>nothing

Rock and roll can never die

youtube.com/watch?v=8gBmQxXlRuk

Music can't just be "rock" anymore after electronic and after the internet especially.

You can't just pretend it's the 70s or whatever.

Royal Blood's new album has some fucking bangers on it

Notice that as time went by, great artists for the most part found themselves on smaller and smaller labels, i.e. major labels -> independent labels. If one follows the trend, the logical conclusion is that the best music would now be independently released. For some reason, people hate the idea of listening to artists on Soundcloud and Bandcamp. I think that it's because people unknowingly like groups because other people like them, and this leads to a snowball effect that explains why certain other artists become very popular. As time went by, music became more and more niche because there has been more and more content released. It might also be because it takes more effort to listen to random artists on Soundcloud than to read about a band that is already part of history and acclaimed. I don't know if this is true, but you should definitely contemplate why all of those artists you listed are already established and massively popular. Also you have good taste.

>King Gizzard just sounds the same
I can agree with you on this OP
Try Dead Meadow if you want god-tier psych rock.