/Grimes/

Let's talk about this bold, exciting, innovative, nice, quirky, fearless artist, Claire Elise Boucher aka Grimey aka Grimes. Always envied, never surpassed.

You better watch this short video: youtube.com/watch?v=CmYgJhrvv84
Vote for Venus Fly video: mmva.muchmusic.com/vote/

>it's annoying i know haha, but my albums take a long time to create because i don't buy songs/ hire producers/ writers or engineers. the majority of artists do, so they are able to release music faster. unfortunately it takes me longer because if there's a style i need to learn i just have to figure it out by trial and error, or if im stuck on a lyric or beat sometimes i have to start again. i think it leads to more original product though, and hopefully the fans are happier in the long run. that said, i am making a lot of music right now, but i also want to have more of a sonic theme to this album so i'm using less of the stuff i'm recording. in any case, ill try to be as swift as possible!"

Be nice to Grimes!

Other urls found in this thread:

last.fm/user/chairmandore/library
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grimes_(musician)#Musical_style
pandora.com/station/2895208146671614201
dailymotion.com/video/x4k3593
mmva.muchmusic.com/vote/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Might listen to some Claire Elise Boucher.

shh not so loud with the praise. you might get a few unpleasant people upset

nice. im going to do the same

I haven't been on /grimes/ for some months. What's new?

Listening to Visions, you?

whenever someone mentions Grimes I want to go all Douglas Levison on them.

NO TALENT!

Grimes seriously is the worst artist of our generation

I hope she dies so she stops making the godawful music she puts out.

explain this, turbopleb:

Claire Elise Boucher aka Grimes

Occupations: singer, songwriter, producer, sound engineer, live performer, visual artist, music video director, colorist and editor, dancer, model, writer

Instruments: vocals, synthesizer, sampler, guitar, bass, drums, violin, ukulele

Main interests: music, visual arts, dancing, books, films, modeling, video games, internet and others

Music taste:
last.fm/user/chairmandore/library
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grimes_(musician)#Musical_style
pandora.com/station/2895208146671614201

Others:
- Grimes does everything in her music, from singing and songwriting to artwork and production
- nice personality, beautiful look, cares about environment issues and saving animals
- took her name from grime music after discovering the existence of the genre on Myspace
- studied ballet for 11 years
- was a goth outcast in high school
- studied neuroscience, philosophy, and Russian literature and McGill University before being dropped out for missing classes
- started making music when she was around the age of 19
- big Lord of the Rings, Dune, Game of Thrones, Star Wars, Abbess Hildegard von Bingen and Russian literature fan.

MCL + CEB =

>ywn be whimsical claire boucher
>ywn meet a friend who runs a diy pop loft space in your college town
>ywn be free from the prying eyes of your parents, engaging in degenerative drug abuse
>ywn travel home every christmas pretending everything is okay, just look at my GPA dad!
>ywn have your artsy druggie loft get shut down
>ywn enter a downward spiral where music and drugs are your only reprieve
>ywn grow sick of seeing your friends passed out in the alley outside of your apartment block because they overdosed again
>ywn go dumpster diving just really only thinking about music and drugs, and find a tape recorder one day
>ywn be a mild myspace sensation in it's dying days with the release of your first album
>ywn collaborate with one of your few worthwhile friends left for your third album
>ywn be kicked out of university because you got an offer to go touring and did that instead of attending classes
>ywn hit rock bottom and decide to go all or nothing on your pet music project, and work for 2 weeks straight to push out your fourth album published on a notable label
>ywn spend the months between writing and release recovering and slowly coming to the realization that if this doesn't work out you're basically fucked
>ywn be a success with that album, and relish in the sweet relief washing over you as you realize you're not doomed to be a druggie fuckup
>ywn be overscheduled by your childhood friend to the point of extreme mental strain
>ywn meet a cute musician boy who seems to be the only one concerned about you in the storm of this rise to fame
>ywn have a falling out with your childhood friend over his ridiculous scheduling habits and all of your other montreal friends because they envy your fame
>ywn be forced to retreat to your newfound fanbase, only to recoil in horror when you realize that you hate them too
>ywn be forced into the seclusion of your gentle boyfriend's loving embrace
>ywn be ostracized by your parents for your career
>ywn be alone as grimes

Nothing. This radio silence is killing these threads

Visions? Great choice user. This album is solid as a diamond.

Poor Grimey

i love how her hair looks in that pic!

This is her newish lovely look.

as I say every time, faggot: playing an instrument on a song =/= ability to play an instrument. the only valid point you have is that she can draw.

more interested in what Conduit Closing is doing these days desu
did you even check out Missteps III?

Is she a French Canadian?

Grimes haters, I'll see you on a dark night

stop, fuckwit. the ability to play an instrument is directly linked to the end results (actual music). her songs - which include her instruments - sound amazing. where is your god now, motherfucker?

>using quirky as a compliment

t. someone who can't play instrument

fucking kek. terrible argument, user.

Why not? She's quirky in a good way. The artists shouldn't be normal, boring people.

>terrible argument
you're really mad, user. why? let me guess: you know some music theory and some instruments and you're butthurt that grimes achieved so much by knowing so little about music. the envy is strong in you, user. don't worry: you will never be better than her.

>THEE you on a dark night
ftfy

>I want to go all Douglas Levison
Is that a roundabout way of saying "behave like a sperg"?

>projecting this hard
I perform in an orchestra but I'm a law student. I would never want to be a professional musician or have the celebrity of Grimes holy fucking lmao no. My life is more absorbed in my family and my religion. Also, you can stop projecting already.

Does anyone have pix of her butt, and is she French Canadian?

>Does anyone have pix of her butt
no

>is she French Canadian
no

>playing an instrument on a song =/= ability to play an instrument
...play an instrument live? Who said otherwise?

No, it's a way of saying going hard on her ass.

>An artist respects the silence it serves as the foundation of creativity

see
You're taking issue with a discrepancy you yourself created desu.

>I perform in an orchestra but I'm a law student.
Which instrument?

t. never saw Grimes live

cello

>I perform in an orchestra but I'm a law student.
so what? i said
>you know some music theory and some instruments
that's a given if you're playing in an orchestra. so, i was right. basically you're playing music, just like i guessed. all those failed envious amateur musicians like you hate the fact a fellow artist managed to be successful despite all the odds. the envy is strong in you.

stop hating her, prick. you're not fit to tie her shoes. when you'll make a song as half as good as oblivion then you will have the right to say she can't play instruments. until then: quiet.

wow...she is stunning...

>going hard on someone's ass = posting baseless insults about them anonymously on Sup Forums

>all those failed envious amateur musicians like you hate the fact a fellow artist managed to be successful despite all the odds. the envy is strong in you.
>stop hating her, prick. you're not fit to tie her shoes. when you'll make a song as half as good as oblivion then you will have the right to say she can't play instruments. until then: quiet.
read again, you utter brainlet

Saw her live (for the first time) around this time last year; she was great, and her live instrumentation was totally on point.

Of course

Hana can play the guitar well, she can't.

>good music takes time!

meanwhile this man releases 2 albums a year and keeps getting better. king gizzard too

>not enough adjectives
>be nice

actually this autistic

it doesn't matter if you don't want to be a pro musician, dip. you're still playing music. you criticized her and said she can't play instruments, but what did you achieve to have the arrogance to deny her skills?

fyi her main instruments are synths, samplers and voice. maybe she isn't very skilled live performer, but she gets tremendous results from them in the studio. this is what really matters.

but is his music great? post his best 2 songs.

Stop the hate

>putrifiers 2
>withered hand

Saw them both play the guitar live to eventually uproarious applause. What is your definition of "well"?

>but what did you achieve to have the arrogance to deny her skills?
clearly you measure achievement based on fame, which is the last way I would measure achievement. I can't really have a reasonable conversation with someone like that. Music is a mere hobby of mine. It is the last thing I would want to turn into my profession. You obviously have a different opinion for yourself as you are clearly projecting. I respect that but you should respect mine too.

>fyi her main instruments are synths, samplers and voice
I know, that's my point.

>but she gets tremendous results from them in the studio.
I disagree. not tremendous.

>this is what really matters.
yet again, I disagree.

>meanwhile this man releases 2 albums a year and keeps getting better.
I should certainly hope so. Practice makes perfect, after all.

>clearly you measure achievement based on fame
i don't. i measure achievement based on fame, talent and actual results (in this case, music). if you succeed at these 3 things you could call yourself a real successful artist.

>I know, that's my point.
that's your point? dude you questioned her ability to play her instruments . did you even see her live? watch this and see how she entertains a festival crowd: dailymotion.com/video/x4k3593

btw why did you write here like a retard then here and then here you changed your whole approach and even the capitalisation of your sentences? you talk like a piece of shit and dare to say "You obviously have a different opinion for yourself as you are clearly projecting. I respect that but you should respect mine too."?? that's rich.

>clearly you measure achievement based on fame
Not the user you were responding to (this is was also .) However...
I'm a classically trained professional musician with extensive performance/touring experience (spanning several continents) in the classical music realm ( (as well as some composition credits in the neo-classical.) Achievement in music is measured by the sounds a given musician creates. Full stop.
Grimes makes wonderful sounding music (both live and on record) assuming you have a taste for her style. Which makes her a great musician in practice (the only sort of greatness that actually counts in my business at the end of the day.) End of discussion.

>actual results
well ain't that vague. stop bullshitting, user. You clearly measure achievement based primarily on popularity.

>that's your point? dude you questioned her ability to play her instruments
playing "synths, samplers and voice" are not as hard as other instruments.

>btw why did you write here like a retard (You) then here (You) and then here you changed your whole approach and even the capitalisation of your sentences?
What is your point? You're being pedantic on irrelevant matters.

>you talk like a piece of shit and dare to say "You obviously have a different opinion for yourself as you are clearly projecting. I respect that but you should respect mine too."?? that's rich.
it's really not

>making objective statements on an objectively subjective matter
stop embarrassing yourself

>making objective statements
...objective statements about how things are properly measured (which is an OBJECTIVE topic) - not how those measurements are then properly interpreted (which is the SUBJECTIVE portion of thins to which you are erroneously referring in reference to my comments.) I thought you said you were a lawyer?

>well ain't that vague. stop bullshitting, user. You clearly measure achievement based primarily on popularity.
do you know better than me how i measure achievement, ffs? for instance, grimes is barely known in the grand scheme of things (e.g. compared to taylor swift). i like her because i enjoy her music, simple as that. she achieved what she wanted: to be the world's best weird popstar.

>playing "synths, samplers and voice" are not as hard as other instruments.
idiotic reply. is this a competition of instruments, like if you play a harder instrument you're automatically superior? that's stupid. btw, try playing synths and samplers and singing with decent results to see how "easy" it is.

>What is your point? You're being pedantic on irrelevant matters.
that's very relevant of how much of an asshole you are. you called me a "faggot" here then you changed your approach to appear as someone else right here you're just a sneaky snake. it's no wonder you pretended to study law. you're working on bullshitting people. shame on you.

more pics like this please dont stop

test

>Claire will never pull this face at you as she explains why you can't put an 8 minute fuzzy reverb drenched blooz wank solo on every song

she shows some remarkable restraint, especially if you know how wildly creative and ADD she is.

looks psyched

that's it

Pretty sure she'd approve of that desu.

>Le Salty Moustache Clown Face girl

they look cute together

truee

>le salty hater unable to surpass her ever, hence ad hominem attacks

lmao

nothing

really?

thanks for pics user, she looks gorgeous with that length hair.

you're welcome, user

yes

shes looking good isnt she. wouldnt you say?

>Vote for Venus Fly video: mmva.muchmusic.com/vote/
Just two moe days...

grimes

i like that song she did with a ukulele. it might be my favorite one

>Capitalizing the g so it gets passed my filter
I wanna hit you guys with a hammer

>she will never be your friend

I think she's French Canadian and Ukrainian?

yeah

i forgot what part of her family is Ukrainian

Perfect genetics.

I'm not sure desu but i'm going to guess it's her fathers side.

theyre probably my two favorite ethnicities. doesn't get much better than that

Yeah, and it's proved to be a good mixture with Grimes!

she is the best thing that people have made, literally ever. she is my favorite girl

Grimes and Hana have the coolest friendship. Grimes is the coolest person ever and Hana seems like a genuinely awesome person and a great friend. They both make great music and they're both extremely attractive.

I agree. I want to be like her so bad. She's so unique and she's INSANELY cute. I'm so envious of her boyfriend.

i dont know why but i feel really proud of her when i have no reason to. she's like someone i should try to be more like but i'll never be that great, not even close