Did Race Play a Role in Larry Wilmore's Downfall?

nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/did-race-play-role-larry-wilmore-s-downfall-n634336

>Still, according to Elsa Waithe, a four-year veteran African-American stand-up comic, "The Nightly Show" was appointment television for her and plenty of her black peers, if for no other reason because it was one of the few comedy shows of its kind on air currently featuring a predominately black perspective.

>"To be frank, I think when they say Larry Wilmore's show wasn't 'playing well with audiences' I think that's just coded language to say its wasn't playing well with white audiences," she told NBC News. "Maybe for white audiences that was too many black people at once."

>"It's unfortunate that it was cancelled," added stand-up comic and former "Last Comic Standing" semifinalist Cyrus McQueen in a statement to NBC. "The few opportunities for black comedy writers just got reduced further."

>"You started a conversation that was not on television when you began," Stewart told Wilmore in an emotional farewell. "And you worked with a group of people who you invited to that conversation to collaborate with you, to sharpen that conversation and what you don't realize is, you walk out of this room and that conversation doesn't end."

Huh. Really makes you think.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/i5ZM0-f5_CU
twitter.com/AnonBabble

pls stop, he was useless, and a nigger

God niggers are fucking annoying.

What a fucking faggot playing the race card

Nigga not Dave Chapelle thats for goddamn sure

What if he just wasn't funny?

>literally the lowest ratings of any late night show
MUH BLACK PERSPECTIVES!

>"I think that's just coded language to say its wasn't playing well with white audiences,"

no matter what its whiteys fault

Maybe those appointment black viewers should have supported the sponsors.

>all these mental gymnastics to explain away why nobody wants to watch an unfunny negro
>the answer is that white people are racist human garbage and wilmore is actually amazing and should be the top rated show on air

wew

Was it a race matter? Yes
Does it matter? No

Shows are put on to make money, not to be fair.

No, The Nightly Show failed because the show wasn't funny or informative. Black comedians, with exception to a few, don't really have universal appeal and they're obsession with talking down to America about race comes off as patronizing. People wanna laugh their ass off, not be scolded by some failed comedian.

I'm sure Elsa Waithe is hilarious

Wouldn't it be great to be black?
Any time you failed or another one failed you can just blame your race and not your lack of work, talent, or luck.

Does Larry Wilmore even have any credentials as a comedian?

Has he ever done anything funny?

Frankly, I couldn't stand it because 39 out of 40 episodes were about race and why black people have it rough.

Not saying the writing was necessarily good, but had the topics actually been somewhat diverse it probably wouldn't have been as stale or preachy

The average American negro doesn't care about anything political. It's amazing the show stayed on the air this long.

>eddie murphy
>dave chapelle
>chris rock
>richard pryor
>bill cosby
>hannibal
>>patrice o neal

all successful

>WHITE PEOPLE ARE THE REASON MY SHOW GOT CANCELLED! THEY WON'T LET BLACK COMEDIANS BE SUCCESSFUL!!!!

They literally affirmative actioned him into the show

It's like they can't accept that there's a cap on how much people will pander to you when you only make up like 10-12% of the population.

Only a third of whites have to start liking a TV show to be able to have more eyes than if 100% of blacks started watching. It's not racism, it's math. Whites aren't going to be catered to in Japan where they make only like

the writer of this article and Larry both are the bottom tier of the human race

Yeah race did. The fact that he never shut the fuck up about it turned off white audiences and we all know blacks either don't have cable or watch BET. Good riddance to the race baiting fucker

As an experiment they should give a redneck a show on BET where he reviews music and movies. I wonder if race would play a part in his success...

Why don't they just post the ratings and be done with it? If it's shit ratings then it's justified.

Put it on BET then.

but goy, the Holocaust and the KKK and slavery... don't you know that you need to give up your nation and your culture to other races? who cares what you like? do need to say it again goy? Holocaust

Yeah that's why The Chappelle Show was so unsuccessful.

This, it's was not so much that it was a bad show as it was bad for the time slot and audience.

He'd probably be a huge hit on BET

>to sharpen that conversation
the show was literally just a bunch of nobodys complaining about whitey. I'm not even Sup Forums or racist, thats literally all this show was. And to think this turd got cancelled over anything but abysmal ratings is absurd and delusional

Yes, because you couldn't shut the fuck up for 5 seconds about race.

DYLAN

Did you ever watch the Larry Wilmore show? All he did was make jokes offending white people and pitying black, just like every other black "comic". Maybe diversify your material, and by "diversify" I don't mean "more blacks".

It just. wasn't. funny.

>>eddie murphy
>>dave chapelle
>>chris rock
>>richard pryor
>>bill cosby
>>hannibal
>>patrice o neal

Look at all these hasbeens or dead hasbeens

This why can't they accept the show is shit and got low ratings.

imagine being good at something, but you're still a nigger

imagine experienceing a setback, but at least you're not a nigger

hahahahahahhaahahahahahhahahhahahahahhahahahhahqhqhqhqhahahhahahahqhqhahahhahahahahahahahahahahhq

aaaaaaahahahhahahqhhqq

This is the correct answer

>did my unfunny race baiting have something to do with the failure of my career on television?

The answer is more likely than you think.

This. It's not even the fact comedy central are racists who didn't want social issues on their channel, it just didn't appeal to audiences of people who need to watch your show for it to be successful
Same thing happening with Trevor Noah imo, the Daily Show was huge with Jon Stewart because he was varied and the least bit interesting, you always heard about his stuff
now Trevor Noah just talks about social issues and stuff, and you probably haven't heard about the daily show since like the series premiere

he created and was head writer on the bernie mac show

He's black and says things like "Daaaamn white people! Why you so white and shit?!" which makes him funny.

the conversation was over before you were even born

loooool he created the BERNIE MAC show

embarrassing as fuck

dont forget kevin hart who is probably the most popular comic in america right now who currently has a popular tv show and hollywood movies

Isn't that other show with the two oreos also successful?

>black

He has the skin tone of a Sicilian

Why do i keep hearing

'starting a conversation' or
'right side of history'

What is this vague shit? It honestly sounds like an excuse a crazy person would give when called out on their nonsense. "I'm just starting the conversation, the future people know i'm right!"

Yeah race played a role, but not his race. It's the fact that he never stopped talking about racial issues and telling people they were racist. Nobody wants this, not even from a white guy.

>"To be frank, I think when they say Larry Wilmore's show wasn't 'playing well with audiences' I think that's just coded language to say its wasn't playing well with white audiences," she told NBC News. "Maybe for white audiences that was too many black people at once."

Yeah, I wonder why white people don't want to sit and listen to blacks complain for 30 minutes. That's a fuckin curveball there. Christ, there wasn't even any humor at all to the show. It was just dry forcefed whining and victim playing. I can't fathom how delusional the people are that genuinely believe these things. They could take a random black guy off the street and televise him taking a shit for a half hour and legitimately cry racism when the show fails.

No cause Noah, while being mediocre is still doing better than him and he's black

>coded language

it's not even the right vague wording, larry wilmore never "started a conversation" about anything, he piggybacked off of other stories

as much as i dont like john oliver, he's "started a conversation" infinitely more times than larry wilmore fucking did

That's just liberals trying to rationalize why people hate them. As much as I hate conservatives, at least they speak like a normal person.

yeah honestly who knows how much input he really had in that show. He probably just wrote the premises for the episode and had bernie fill in all the comedy

key and peele stopped making their show.

I don't think it was cancelled though, since it seemed to play pretty well

>'starting a conversation'
This is leftist-speak for accusing all white people of racism and then telling them they're racist when they claim otherwise. This is what they consider a """"conservation"""".

We need to have a discussion=

"You need to listen to me tell you what to believe, and you need to shut the heck up, and then you need to agree with everything I think"

On the right side of history =

"Agreeing with absolutely everything that I believe"

PARASITIC!

Another factor could be that his guests weren't smart enough to discuss the topics.

>old white dudes try to be funny for 40+ years for late night and get awards
>this one black dude tries and gets axed during of of the most controversial elections in US history

I get it, he wasn't funny. But do people seriously find the other white dudes that do late night funny?

yeah people liked it

youtu.be/i5ZM0-f5_CU

This is a great observation. Fucking everybody loves Dave Chapelle. He makes fun of black peoples doing black people shit, black people crack up. He makes fun of white people doing white people shit, whitr people crack up. And yet there he was, being "unapologetically black" while Larry Wilmore was sitting on the sidelines masturbating. Oh well, he's probably an Uncle Tom or something

Yes, because they manage to say something other than 'm-muh dick or m-muh dick, mothafucka' signifying their confusion while being a black male

>Wah whitey doesn't want to watch thirty minutes of me calling them racists, those racist ass crackas

is that really all he did? To be honest I've only watched a few of his shows....not because he is black, but because I have a job and can't stay up

Wilmore's not that bad. The other people on the show need gassing though. Pic related.

So what you're saying is you never actually watched his show. It was, quite literally, 'Lets Race-Bait White People: The Show.' Whites didn't watch it because no one likes being called a racist just for existing and blacks didn't watch it because blacks couldn't care less about political satire.

This really started my conversation. Profound!

Race played a role in Larry Wilmores hiring.

A shitty show played a role in his downfall

"Now we need to have a DISCUSSION in this country, so all you people who disagree with me, SHUT UP and SIT DOWN and keep your mouth closed because it's time for a CONVERSATION and we can't be having that if you're out here flappin' your trap and speaking your opinion. It's time to listen to me, the enlightened, illuminated tolerant progressive brilliant genius tell you all what to believe. And it's about time!"

Shaniqua claps her hands like a seal in excitement to withness the man CONVERSATING and DISCUSSING at enemies

Let's have a conversation:

>fuck white people, they're fucking horrible and deserve to die
>what?
>shut up, cracker, stay in your lane

Literally they're version of the conversation they want to have.

no, see I heard that the producer was John Stewart too

I'd bet $100 that most of it's viewers were still self-flagellating white cucks.

Was gonna post this. The only reason this coon was even hired was because he was black, so he should be thankful he got even 15 minutes of fame.

>RATINGS BE RAYCISS N SHEIT!
Hopefully theyll give Noah the boot next after he fucks up InDecision

Those other hosts aren't preachy. Do you honestly not understand why people aren't entertained by being preached to like that?

Chappelle talked about race all the time on his show, but he did it in an entertaining way that didn't come off as self-righteous.

The media is so delusional now that they think people will buy this totally ridiculous narrative that people didn't like the guy because he's black when we've had a long history of Arsenio Halls and Richard Pryors be successful with white audiences for decades now.

Race played it a role in that Wilmore's show was almost the most boring thing on television, but previously he had Stewart's Daily Show as a huge viewer draw. However with Noah, racism made people turn off the Daily Show.

>but noah just sucks it's not racism
Yeah it is, the show is basically the same as Last Week Tonight, a show that gets viewers. Except LWT has a white foreigner as a host as opposed to a black one.

>Those other hosts aren't preachy. Do you honestly not understand why people aren't entertained by being preached to like that?

This is also why Colbert's ratings are suffering on his late night show.

>it's not for you, whites!
>you don't watch it? You're a racist
Ok, choose one, it can't be both

>Elsa Waithe

Jesus Christ

Last week tonight doesn't get views, it gets hits on youtube.

You think videos of Noah being unfunny fail to go viral because of systemic racism in the SOCIAL MEDIA TRENDSETTING COMMUNITY?

>Last week tonight doesn't get views

Considering how quickly it got renewed for multiple seasons, that's not true.

>Niggers and Spics worried about whites committing violence against them

What a fucking joke

no one watched it
if race played a role trever noah would be gone too

He will be unless his ratings pick up.

>biggest meme election of all time
>nobody watching the daily show

>implying they don't need it to exist on their tv channel to make those ebin clips that people love to watch

everybody I know who regularly sees shit from that show does not own cable and instead hits up the dank new link on facebook whenever it rolls around.

also
>comparing the viewership needs of basic cable to HBO

try again pls m8

It's all relative. HBO needs less viewers but compared to cable they need relatively the same share of viewers to consider a show a success.

No...god...

Really made me think.

Ironically American blacks on average are nearly 20% white

Reminds me a lot of that ironic fashion blog Tao Lin used to post under a pseudonym. Almost identical manner of speaking.

Only thing missing is abbreviating the year to 2k16.

Anyone who must say I am on the right side of history to get their point across has done nothing right in the eyes of historians

The ratings were shit, like really shit. Does it make sense to you as an excecutive to keep a show on that's not doing well?

>I think that's just coded language to say its wasn't playing well with white audiences,
>coded language

REEEEEEE

dindus use this for anything

Based on her appearance, I don't care about her political opinions.

>Did Race Play a Role in Larry Wilmore's Downfall?

Yes, but the racism came from him. He can't constantly use racism to try to get laughs, then blame racism when people don't tune in for his race baiting.

It's like black people feel no ill should befall them no matter what they do.

Considering Key and Peele did just fine and had one of Comedy Central's most successful shows while they were on, I'm going to say "no"

Because when whites get violent, they don't fuck around

It's almost like most of America has no tolerance for stupid race baiting. One of the reasons HuffPo's traffic has fallen 66% since they went full retard.

This.

Comedy Central is not fucking Sup Forums janitors. They don't do it for free. Ridiculous to expect a bomb of a show to get a pass simply because it features black people.

Larry Wilmore should get hunted by Portuguese Cazadores

>replace Colbert with a literally who
>make the entire show race bait
>hire a bunch of unfunny writers
>shows ratings fall constantly until it's the lowest rated late night show on air
>IT WAS THE WHITE PEOPLE!

Maybe it was just shit