I'm a white person. Should I not listen to jazz and hip-hop? Isn't that barging into a culture that isn't my own...

I'm a white person. Should I not listen to jazz and hip-hop? Isn't that barging into a culture that isn't my own, and doesn't want me, and taking it as my own?

It certainly is.

It's also considered a hate crime in some states.

Cultural appropriation can go fuck itself. And in any case, if you want to listen to jazz and are worried about being too white, try Bill Evans. "Cultural appropriation" has been done by literally everyone since fucking forever, it's called "sociocultural development". To isolate yourself is to stifle culture and just leave them as isolated pockets.

Yes, it's wrong. Stick to white-made only if you are white.

But then blacks will talk shit about me for being so white. Is there any way to win?

tbqh its probably more racist to not ever try to culturally appropriate at all.

I thought the same but then i realised that only listening to white music would mean i consider black music inferior thus being literally racist. These days i avoid music altogether so i manage to be neither a white cis-male, an obvious case of extensive privilege nor a perpetrator of hate crime by appropiating black/asian culture.

"Cultural appropriation" brought us Graceland, Remain in Light, and many other fantastic albums. I don't see the problem. You don't own your culture by the colour you were born with.

Jazz is American culture so you're alright if you're from the US.

Good luck, now consider the clothing style, the food you eat, words you use..until you crawl into the fetal position afraid to make a move..

There's certainly themes of pan-Africanism in hip-hop and jazz but if you see these genres simply as "black people music" and think you need to stay away from it because you're white, that's the kinda thinking that drives races apart. We should be looking at these things as American music, not black music.

Why haven't you apologised for your white male colonialism? Just admit you are racist and become a social justice ally

Jesus fuck if this is bait it's great

It's not appropriation to engage and appreciate and seek to understand other cultures. That's being a decent human being.

Now if you were to go to a different country, learn all about how they do X (like cook their food or some shit) and then come back to the US to start a business that does X, a white dude owning an ethnic restaurant that they themselves are not a part of is indeed kinda fucked up

If you believe this I legitimately want you to take your belt and hang yourself with it.

you're waking up to the matrix imposed on you by jews running the music and fashion industry.

good luck

By this logic isn't a white guy rapping and making a career out of it also fucked up?

rly depends on the context i guess

How's it fucked up it's the same food lol

Did blues artists culturally appropriate the guitar from the Spanish?

Are you fucking retarded? All music in the west except from Classical originates from Africa. Fucking listen to anything you want.

>All music in the west except from Classical originates from Africa
The diatonic scale didn't arise in Africa, none of the most popular instruments originated in Africa, electronic music did not come from Africa. You could certainly argue that most of the rhythms used in modern music are African in origin but they owe a lot more to the black diaspora in the Americas than to actual Africans.

oops this was meant for obviously

you can appreciate black culture without appropriating it.

Rec me some jazz anons

Are you serious? lmao people need to grow some nuts and just make/do/listen to what they enjoy

Jazz is completely whitewashed. As for hip hop, it's slowly becoming whiter. So not like it matters anyways.

Liberals please pick one

>As humans we must all accept and appreciate each other cultures as well as be able to share them between each other, there should be no boundaries.
or
>We musn't let people know this cultures, they exclusively belong to that race, group, etc and no one has the right to ever touch something related to that.

nah man

Any white guy who grew to apreciate hip hop culture and respect it is always welcomed to do his own thing.

Lmao that people actually think this way. Kys.

You don't need to worry about the color of your hide just need to care about the vibe

>2020 - 3
>not listening exclusively to Quiet Storm
shig

Nonsense! Listen to whatever you want, and this is coming from a person of color. The key is to have a listen, enjoy it if you do, but don't try to actually MAKE music of those genres. I'm not sure if it's exactly "cultural appropriation", but I think it should be avoided just out of respect.

Fuck offwiththis nonsense.

There is nothing wrong with appreciating a culture outside of your own.

Are you going to stop eating ethnic food next.

This is sociology class level retardation.

What do you think of Bill Evans and Scott LaFaro?

Blacks aren't doing anything to keep our genre black since all they care about is making the hottest new trap mixtape and other trite so go ahed, the genre is already dead with all these white jazz bands taking their place and hip hop is a dudebro and white girl genre now anyways. And when blacks create the next genre go ahead and steal that too, you've alreddy taken everything else.

>starting an ethnic restaurant is fucked up if you actually go and learn how to make that ethnic food and show a genuine interest in that food so you can expose these styles to your countrymen

but if you actually have enough of an interest to go and learn how to make that food in the country that it comes from, isn't that appreciating the culture and respecting it too? Why doesn't it apply to both scenarios?

None ov these are actually cultural folk music so you're not stealing a culture becauz there is no culture there and there never will be culture again now that we have evil things such as the internet.

>out of respect
but aren't there numerous black hip-hop artists who consistently praise white hip-hop crews and say that they make incredible albums? like Run-DMC and Public Enemy's consistent praise for the Beastie Boys

if you have to ask, kill yourself