What is the best programming language to learn to get an in demand, relatively high paying job?

What is the best programming language to learn to get an in demand, relatively high paying job?

Other urls found in this thread:

stackoverflow.com/questions/17826380/what-is-difference-between-functional-and-imperative-programming-languages
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

english

i have some friends that got a nice job with java and android

Neuro linguistic

C++ and C# are all that matter in terms of actual software. Everything else is either web development or a meme, or a compromise because there aren't enough people fluent in a language that's actually relevant.

Pascal.

Definitely C#

C#, Java, C++ and JavaScript is usually in high demand for web dev companies.

Learn C, It will be tough but worth it

COBOL.

Might not be long term but pay will be huuuuuge and positions are opening steadily.

Java

>learn to get an in demand, relatively high paying job
Doing it for the moneys nearly never works, bud

I'm seeing lots of c (and its variants) and Java (and its variants). What about languages specifically tailored to data analysis like R?

No. It's Pascal. Fuck your shit.

I'm asking because I think I will enjoy it, too.

ADA.

Why.... because it is hard as fuck and it is old as sin. Most people that know it retired and there is a SHIT TONNE of systems out there which need minor work done, especially in government and defence. Which means you can walk into a contract paying $1000/day quite easily and sit there and do piss easy work.

This.

please don't tell me you added 'and its variants' to Java because you saw JavaScript

cobol

Shut up pajeet

explain this

I'm learning R because I'm in medical research
didn't think it was used much in other areas

neophyte programmer detected

objective C is the most popular as of right now.

it fucking annoying putting a semi colon after every fucking line, but you will get used to it.

I did but I take it I shouldn't have?

Then simply take one of the languages, imperative languages all have similar syntax. You won't get big money the first year either way and you should be able to write more than one language, so it doesn't matter.

Java
But fuck java

Tell me all about your favorite meme language.

Then tell me all about the job you don't have.

>after every line
Are they still used to terminate statements? Or is it something else?

got eem

>"Hard as fuck"
>"Piss easy"

Pick one

Thirded. There are billions of lines of COBOL in production and maintainers are dying.

Some combination of python(increasingly popular for data science type gigs), Java(super common/decent paying jobs) and C/C++ for high performance applications.

Fuck, you are like our swift programmer and I fucking hate their design choices for syntax. They make their code nearly unreadable for maybe saving 1% of their time

They are two totally different languages.
But yeah, we all did that mistake at some point.

My favorite is probably GRASS. I do a bunch of private contracting work probably above your head.

brainfuck anyone?

Seems like every job expects you to know JavaScript on the side. But to modernize Edsgar Dijkstra's famous statement about BASIC... JavaScript mentally mutilates programmers beyond all hope of recovery.

Hard as fuck to learn / understand / master. Once you have learnt it / understood it / mastered it becomes, like everyting else, piss easy.

Ie, you go and learn this hard thing that no one knows anymore and then you earn a SHIT LOAD of money for piss easy work. No one wants you to write new ADA code, you'll just be debugging old ass systems and making serious cash to do so.

What's an imperative language? I looked it up but what I found doesn't make much sense to me.

Firefox

Whitespace

>assembly
when you understand this...

A language where the programmer writes a series of instructions to be carried out by the computer. Basically, what you think of programming is likely imperative.

>My favorite is probably GRASS.

Points for answering as if I was being literal.

>I do a bunch of private contracting work probably above your head.
>contracting

Bingo. No steady job. Thanks for playing.

If you don't know, then probably every language you've ever used.

Kek

So how many total points did I accrue?

stackoverflow.com/questions/17826380/what-is-difference-between-functional-and-imperative-programming-languages

The code is procedural, goes from line to line, just like you would read a book (those choose your own adventure books are a darn good metaphor).

Assuming you've never programmed before, just do Python. It's easy and concepts transfer to other languages like Java and C++. Play with some Linux too, it's good for you.

What ide are you using? I'm thinking about picking it up.

How do I into Linux if I only know Windows?

Gotta learn the basics first so go learn BASIC.

If you're really wanting to get into this, remember that your programming language is merely the interface between you and the computer - ultimately it is you, and your problem solving ability that will get you a 'high paying job'. Learn typical data structures, such as queues, ring buffers, stacks, binary search trees. Learn about recursion, iteration, and common algorithms using both recursion and iteration. Then maybe try a small project as you become more comfortable, you'll then ststt to realise how important problem solving is, along with some math ability.

Enough to win some tits.

The opposite of imperative isn't functional, it's declarative. All functional languages are imperative.

section .text
global _start
_start:
mov edx,len
mov ecx,msg
mov ebx,1
mov eax,4
int 0x80

mov eax,1
int 0x80

section .data
msg db 'OP is a faggot!', 0xa
len equ $ - msg

I was always under the impression that procedural meant it was split into procedures...

Correct.

Sorry, meant imperative, my mind wandered off

learn to write ransomeware, fam

All you faggots code in userland. Fuck you all and die horribly from nigger aids.

this

just learn to program in rust

when it's done f***ing with your brain you'll know how to program