Alright dudes, I'd like some advice from anyone with medical knowledge...

Alright dudes, I'd like some advice from anyone with medical knowledge...a week ago I awoke with a terrible pain in my testicles and noticed a lump on my right testicle. Throughout the week, the pain subsided and the lump seemingly went from soft to rock hard...so, obviously I should see a doctor, right? Problem is, I have no health insurance. What direction should I pursue? Should I risk going to the e.r. and paying out of pocket? I have no gp to consult, I'm just lost. Thanks for any advice.

sounds like you should get health insurance or go to an urgent care and pay whatever they ask. as for your balls is the lump actually on your ball or is it on a tube near the back/bottom called the epididymis?

It's on the left side/ middle of my right testicle. It is attached the testicle itself, which is worrisome. I tried to visit a walk in medical center, and they straight up told me they couldn't treat/diagnose or even issue me a paper referral. I hate to go to the e.r., but I don't know what other options I have.

you don't. unless you can chop it off yourself. best not to fuck around with lumps bumps and nuts.

Yeah, I guess I better go tomorrow. Thanks, dude.

Is it a feeling like you are constantly getting kicked in the nuts? It sounds like it could be acute epididymitis.

same dude who gave the last advice. i had epididymitis for 2 months that i just got over. if the lump is on the nut itself it cant be epididymitis. you could have both, but epididymitis doesnt usually cause lumps at all. just swelling.

(me)
For the record, this does not sound like a testicular cancer presentation. Have you had sex recently? Do you practice good hygiene?

Don't even bother going to the doctor's, testicular pain isn't something to mess around with, if it's serious damage you could lose it completely. You go straight to the ER or Urgent Care, trust me. Better to be safe than sorry when it comes to your nuts

The epididymis is positioned directly adjacent to the testicle touching it, and so it is possible that what he interprets as a testicular lump is epididymal swelling.

that's true. i just assume people know what their nuts normally feel like.

That's what it felt like for the initial week, I just did a google search on this term and this is exactly what it seems like, with the exception of the hard lump which the article didn't mention. That really eases my mind that it's not cancer, but I guess ill still have to go to the e.r. to get antibiotics

I practice good hygiene and haven't had sex in 3 years and I've been tested since I last had sex. I guess I don't know for certain, but it really does feel like a pea sized hard lump, not swelling.

don't fuck around with this, op. go get seen.

Yeah, going to urgent care is still probably a good idea. Acute epididymitis can resolve on its own, but it is worth getting a physical exam to get it checked out.

Also, get insurance when you can so you can get regular physical exams.

Yeah, I think enrollment isn't until December, but I'll definitely be enrolling in health insurance. I appreciate everyone's advice, if not for that darn lump, I don't think I would worry. I shudder at how much going to the e.r. Will cost me, but I'm going anyway. Thank you, everybody.

If when you touch the pea sized lump it also feels like you are getting kicked in the nuts then it is definitely your epididymis.

this isnt true. i had epididymitis and could gratuitously inspect both of them. they were swollen about 3/4 of an inch wide too.

Absolutely feels like I'm being kicked in the nuts and makes me a little nauseated, also. So I can have a lump and still have epididymitis? I'm actually relieved to hear that.

Your logic is off. I said if when he touches it it has that kind of pain then it is epididymitis. I did NOT say that if you have epididymitis then you will feel pain. "if X then Y" is not the same as "If Y then X".

you could have a lump directly on the nut and still have epididymitis, but they wouldnt be related. none of us on here are doctors, so the advice given is going to vary, so i recommend you get off b and dont google your symptoms.

Yeah. Listen, I'm a 4th year medical student, I don't know anything about you or your health outside of this post, and I am not going to say "don't go to the ER." but, if you are young, moderately healthy with no family history of testicular cancer, no other painless masses in the scrotal area, and you are positive that this inflammation just began overnight, then you are probably better off going to an urgent care clinic and just paying for the antibiotics.Without seeing you in person though I would not be 100% confident, but I do feel pretty good about this.

to add to this, some urgent care clinics actually have ultrasound technicians. id try and find a place with one just to avoid misdiagnosis.

Ultrasound is good, but it does add cost. Honestly, you just need someone who knows what they're doing to feel your balls (as odd as that sounds). If they suspect something else THEN you get an ultrasound.

Yes, all of those factors are correct. According to my last doctor's visit a few months ago, I'm in perfect health, no family history of cancer, and the most unusual symptom is that all this pain occurred literally over night...pain free my entire life then i could barely walk because of my sore testicles on some random Sunday morning. I truly appreciate everyone's advice...only problem is the urologist won't see me without a referral . And the walk in urgent care center refused to issue me a referral . If I offer to pay out of pocket, will a urologist see me without a referral ? That would surely be cheaper than going to the e.r. thanks again.

Hmmm...I'll research any urgent care centers with ultrasound machines. I hadn't thought of that, thank you!

No problem. You don't need a urologist. You need a primary care or family practice physician. Even seeing an NP will do. You only see a urologist if this is starting to look like something more perplexing.

i only recommended it because if ultrasound is needed, it'll save him the trip to another clinic.

Oh, okay. I'll make an appointment. my mother recommended a primary care doctor so I'll contact him. I can't express my gratitude for your advice, you've eased my worries enough son that I can at least sleep tonight, thank you.

You would think. The sad reality is if he gets an ultrasound at an urgent care clinic it is unlikely the images will be sent to the next provider, or the next provider will be unsatisfied with the images, or simply regardless the next provider will want to perform his/her own ultrasound. Alternatively, even if the images are transferred, often times that provider has his/her own radiology team which will interpret them. Point is OP is going to get billed more than is probably necessary. This is a societal level failure of health care in the US.

Sure thing man. That's what it's all about. Good luck with it all.

wow fuck that. i hate when common sense is no longer applicable because some asshole wants to get greedy.

It's not even really greed, it is more of lack of trust. There are levels of quality which vary between ultrasound technicians and radiologists when you go from a tertiary care center to your local urgent care. The most valuable things to a physician are timeliness and security in decision-making. I'd say 95% of the time their goal is not to make extra money (because really very very little is made by ordering that extra ultrasound), but it is to have more confidence in their clinical decision-making.

Health care is a complex problem.