How do I into theism?

How do I into theism?

I feel increasingly that I would be a better person and happier if I could somehow make myself believe in Christianity, but I seem to think I am "too smart" to believe in it. But I want to.

Not looking for bullshit answers. I know Sup Forums has a number of relatively smart Christian theists so I was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction of what to read to truly believe in and understand Christianity?

Obviously the New Testament, but what theology would anyone recommend as well?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VmtNqJ5wC2g
youtube.com/watch?v=wVPFCR4MfqM
youtube.com/watch?v=zaW4EpLAk3k
youtube.com/watch?v=RySdPdLRxtg
youtube.com/watch?v=RQ8C-qe3qSM
youtube.com/watch?v=AJu0oYvi-cY
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrrha
icr.org/article/mathematical-impossibility-evolution/
youtu.be/wgSZA3NPpBs?t=1383
youtu.be/IxRfDtaot5U?t=103
youtube.com/watch?v=-dzkBQfM35c
examiner.com/article/of-10-highest-iq-s-on-earth-at-least-8-are-theists-at-least-6-are-christians
youtube.com/watch?v=_20yiBQAIlk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Tomas Aquinas's 'The Five Ways'
The Kalam cosmological argument.
Fine tuning of the universe.
Timothy Mcgrew's evidence for the resurrection.

Bonus: the first two creation events are the Photon Epoch and the cosmological 'dark ages'.

Well I'm gonna get shit on for saying this but Mormonism is the fullness of the gospel and will spiritually inspire you more than any other church, though others do have their worth.
Becoming a member of LDS is the best decision I've ever made. I have seen my life change in so many ways that can only be explained by one thing. Heavenly Father.
If you have a desire to believe, that is enough to start. Just pray vocally and ask your Heavenly Father for help in whatever it is that you need help with. Do not feel ashamed or hypocritical when praying for the first time because the Lord sees you worthy of saving. He really loves you.
When you continue to pray each day you will begin to feel the Holy Spirit burning inside you, and if you are living according to the commandments, you will see your life begin to change in many ways as proof to you that your Heavenly Father is in fact real and is pleased with you as he is now starting to intervene more and more in your life.
Though other Christians on /pol may not agree with my church, they will agree with what I've said about the power of prayer and having a personal relationship with God.
I love you and so does God. He is really excited for you and your desires to believe and cannot wait to have a close relationship with you, because you are his child.
I leave this with you in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

What about Buddhism Sup Forums?
how to?

This.
The Kalam and Leibniz cosmological arguments are airtight. Looking at those undeniable scientific proofs is a good place to start if you're having trouble with the whole spiritual thing.

Amen!

Thanks user. Glad you have found happiness.

Though Im not particularly knowledgeable of christianity, I have always been attracted to Tolstoy's variety of Christianity, which is pretty much focused exclusively on the sermon on the mount / what Jesus "literally" said (according to scripture anyway)

A few link from a standpoint of defending christianity against antagonistic questions. (best way to learn it really).

youtube.com/watch?v=VmtNqJ5wC2g
youtube.com/watch?v=wVPFCR4MfqM
youtube.com/watch?v=zaW4EpLAk3k
youtube.com/watch?v=RySdPdLRxtg

Also check out shoebat.com he has written quite a few books and check out his videos on youtube.

youtube.com/watch?v=RQ8C-qe3qSM Here's an example but he has also done lectures in front of audience, but he's a bit recluse, he's a former muslim brotherhood member, basically a ex muslim converted to christianity.

Also understand the trinity and you understand the bible. It is the key to unlock it.

Heavenly father (traverses the cosmos, the arm of the holy spirit, the physical representation of the holy spirit in the universe, the living god.), Son (jesus) right hand of the heavenly father, holy spirit.. the eternal spirit that no man has seen..

All are one, yet distinct. Jesus's decree.. "me and the father are one" (through the holy spirit). Like an undivided chain.

Our bodies are made in the likeness of the heavenly father, the shepherd of gods creation. And our bodies are temples for the holy spirit (the point of physical bodies, look up those references).

Once you start to grasp that, christianity and the bible begins to make incredible sense.

Galatians 3, read it, the hebrews failed to follow the messiah when he came with the global covenant for all mankind.. and explains the laws for the hebrews and why they were put (because of transgressions of the hebrews untill he came).

Christians are under the global covenant of the messiah, where the highest law is to love your neighbourgh as yourself and that is the heart of the law and upon that hangs all the law and all the prophets.

I can't get over the inbreeding hump myself. My understanding is that humanity as we know it was spawned from the rock-people made after Noah's Flood, correct? If you have a population of less than 100 or so, there is not enough genetic diversity to avoid the effects of inbreeding

Traitor, judaism is the only right way.

Christianity requires actually quite a bit of intelligence to fully grasp, but once you do it's quite amazing.. Contrary to what you have heard that it is the other way around.. That being said very few christians actually "get" the secrets that it reveals but they do believe in the messiah and the rest will be revealed for them in time.

I'd recommend reading the bible in this order:
* book of Romans (its a good summary of the main ideas of Christianity)
* The gospels (the 4 books about Jesus)
* Acts (acts of the apostles after Jesus)

then read what you want from there, you don't really need to read the old testament or revelation. The old testament gives background information and lessons about human nature, and revelation is prophecy of the end times (you might want to read it because its about the degeneracy that leads to the end of the world).

Then there are lots of books about theology, anything by C.S. Lewis, St. Augustine of Hippo, and Tomas Aquinas is great.

Somebody post the bread pill reading list, don't have it at work.

Catholicism or Orthodoxy BTW OP. The prots go full Muslim with their mental gymnastics but don't fall for it.

Incorrect, they waited for the seed of the promise to arrive, but then when he arrived they didn't follow him. Read galatians 3. The hebrews were supposed to have become christians (followers of the messiah) when he arrived with a GLOBAL covenant (the past covenants were only for the hebrews) but they didn't and instead stuck stubbornly to their traditions.

Do whatever you think will help you get personally closer to God and whatever will make you a better person.
Mormonism helped me get closer but not everyone is the same and people need different methods to gain the relationship they want with God, and that's okay.
God is pleased with you no matter what Christian church you join as long as you did your hardest to seek the truth.
The founding prophet of my church, Joseph Smith, was in a situation similar to yours when he wanted to know what direction he should take to help his faith grow and what church was the true church, since there were so many.
He did as the apostle James directed in the bible.
James 1:5 "If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him."

Pray about it and God will give you the answers you desire.

Start with Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis. It is non-denominational so you can figure that stuff out later.
Read the bible, pray. Christianity is a relationship. Ask and you shall receive

youtube.com/watch?v=AJu0oYvi-cY

>rock people
there were no rock people in the bible, thats in islam and that stupid russel crowe movie

>inbreeding hump
you don't need to take the book of genesis literally to be a christian, 40% of protestants don't take it literally and the Catholic church is cool with the big bang/evolution

Iktfb

Went to church for Mother's Day today

Reminded me of why I became an atheist faggot in the first place. So hard to cling to such a cucked religion. Islam would be better if you could go to a market without risking getting blown up or beheaded and raped due to theological differences.

I swear there was a thing in the bible where Noah threw rocks over his shoulder and so did his wife, and God formed them into men and women when they landed.

>So hard to cling to such a cucked religion

>against homosexuality
>against premarital sex
>pro-family
>anti-abortion

You don't need religion.

that's from greek mythology senpai
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrrha

Google genetic bottleneck

It's shit

Also sorry but prot>cats

Thanks, friend.

Thank you, I will check it out.

I'm only 21 but for awhile I felt like I was pretty "morally good" despite being agnostic in high school.

I have started to realize though that in the last couple of years I have become hateful, spiteful, and petty.

I understand that Christianity, as a relationship, does not necessarily give one "inner peace" because it is about doing the right things, can be difficult.

But I really want to change who I am and who I have become.

one stupid cuck pope does not discredit christianity and its history.. it's not very good logic you're engaged in senpai.

If you want to know ask God. Seriously, he is the teacher. He is the guide.

LARPer. Christ himself washed the feet off his enemy. Fuck off back to paganism if you want an EPIC religion

>the five ways
Have been thoroughly destroyed.
>kalam
HAHAHAHA
>evidence for resurrection
Am I being trolled?

OP, there are "okay" arguments for theism, and none of these are those. But it will always boil down to "here's an argument I like that is flawed, but I will ignore the flaws to be happy". There is no solid argument for belief in a personal god. None.

>I understand that Christianity, as a relationship, does not necessarily give one "inner peace" because it is about doing the right things, can be difficult.
I don't understnad please rephrase this

>theism

Born again Christianity.

Guess what? God loves you, and wants a relationship with you. He doesn't want to wait until you have died to come to Him.

Look at this picture. What does God have to say about religion? Not much.

Sorry. I was trying to say that I want to be "good" again and be happy, which I think Christianity can provide, but I understand at the same time that being a "real" Christian is not easy.

My understanding is that Christianity is about a relationship with God in which you are being tested when you make moral decisions. And therefore Christianity isn't an "easy answer" to getting inner peace--because it seems to me that it necessarily involves internal struggle.

I don't necessarily disagree with you desu.

I think ultimately being a religious person has to come down to faith and not logic or reason, but I would be interested in gaining the theological background.

Oh wow I'm an idiot, nevermind. But what should be believed instead of Genesis being taken literally then? When does God take over, after the disaster that destroyed the dinosaurs?

>Am I being trolled?
That's my line.

Google Y-chromosomal Adam. All humans descend from the same ancestor

Pick up "The Last Superstition" by Edward Feser.

If you want an intellectual basis for Christianity it's really Catholicism or nothing.

You don't really have to believe op you can just join a church for the community experience. It sounds like that's what your looking for instead of some guide for a belief system.

the most common non-creationist view is god set things in motion with the big bang and revealed himself to mankind when we were ready

>which I think Christianity can provide
Yes

>but I understand at the same time that being a "real" Christian is not easy
How so? I find it more comfortable than when I was an atheist

>My understanding is that Christianity is about a relationship with God in which you are being tested when you make moral decisions. And therefore Christianity isn't an "easy answer" to getting inner peace--because it seems to me that it necessarily involves internal struggle.
No I wouldn't put it like that. God's laws are more an instricution to live as his creation. You don't have to blindly follow the law for the laws sake you must "bring good fruit"

I can get behind that. After the dinosaurs went nowhere forever He fucks them up and raises us up from the surviving species, realizing that a more successful species would have to be like Him. Thanks user.

>The First Cause Argument has been destroyed

Are you serious ?

There isn't really evidence of there being any sort of God, but to be fair, science is simply a compilation of theories based on the perceptions of man. Hence, you do need faith to believe in it.

1000 years ago, there was no evidence of microscopical lifeforms (germs) existing. That doesn't mean that they didn't exist.

I'm open to the possibility of their being a God, but I am still an atheist.

Christianity is not easy, but it is so, so worth it.

That's definitely part of it.

When I think of the people whom I most admire, most of them are religious people.

Some of them are people who probably go to church a lot, and others aren't but they all are Christians.

Some of the best people I can think of are Quakers, tbqh.

As I was typing my answer to you, I realized I was saying something that one might disagree with.

I think in the beginning, anyway, it might be somewhat difficult to sort of remind myself to think or act in a particular way, because it is like I am convincing myself to change the way I normally act.

Like, how do you tell yourself, "Instead of being an angry, petty asshole, I am going to respond to this situation differently?"

The common trait of a strong minded individual is the search for truth through logical thinking, this has been proven to be a survival instinct the brain does uncousinly to better your odds in the increasingly dangerous world out there.

But the origin of this human trait can be debated, mainstream science provides the theory of evolution.

Assume that, at each mutational step, there is equally as much chance for it to be good as bad. Thus, the probability for the success of each mutation is assumed to be one out of two, or one-half. Elementary statistical theory shows that the probability of 200 successive mutations being successful is then (½)200, or one chance out of 1060. The number 1060, if written out, would be "one" followed by sixty "zeros." In other words, the chance that a 200-component organism could be formed by mutation and natural selection is less than one chance out of a trillion, trillion, trillion, trillion, trillion! Lest anyone think that a 200-part system is unreasonably complex, it should be noted that even a one-celled plant or animal may have millions of molecular "parts."

icr.org/article/mathematical-impossibility-evolution/

As you can see, the theory is so mathematically improbable that you might as well put in the realm of philosophy and compare it to a miracle.

The other fronts of mainstream science are also closing in on a universe that does seem to have intelligent design behind it.

The theory that the universe is a simulation.

youtu.be/wgSZA3NPpBs?t=1383

The other front of science is of course theoretical physics, they have provided the quantum theory that has been excessively tested and never failed to provide the result that was expected, so this is a theory that is probably the strongest in mainstream science but does not actually fit in with the rest of the science and on many levels seems to operate in an other realm.

youtu.be/IxRfDtaot5U?t=103

youtube.com/watch?v=-dzkBQfM35c

Something that's worth noting is that Science is the study of natural law. God is somewhat by definition supernatural, he exists outside of the normal laws and made them. As a result you will always need faith to believe in him at some level. In Christianity it is this faith which is important, and what God most wants from us.

That said, you can seek him actively, and many scientists have, finding what they consider proof of his existence for themselves. But due to the above statement, this proof is merely self-justification, they could not share the exact reasons they find this proof so compelling with another person even if they tried. They could explain their process, and perhaps the other person could then go on to more or less replicate and come to the same conclusions, but they cannot directly share it in the same way as other knowledge and so the importance of faith is preserved.

Don't stress it. Nobody's perfect.
The main or only law in Christianity is Love God with all your heart and your next as yourself.
Combined with from some roman letter "Love can never hurt each other love only tryes to do good" from top of my head.

>Like, how do you tell yourself, "Instead of being an angry, petty asshole, I am going to respond to this situation differently?"
I cut my ego out of the equation. Look at things objectively. Like why put others down just to seem "better" to the peers etc.
Contrary to the cuck meme spewed on here it doesn't mean self-surpression just surpression of pointless hedonism (lust, greed, and most importantly ego)

*some letter by St. Paul I mean. Not sure but I think romans

>Like, how do you tell yourself, "Instead of being an angry, petty asshole, I am going to respond to this situation differently?"
I've had to deal with this a lot, and I'm still not great at it. There also isn't a simple answer. Or to be more accurate, there are numerous 'simple' answers but none are universal. I used a set of mantras essentially to ground some core rules for myself. No matter what happens I won't betray the core I set up.

My faith in Christ helps in this, and I know some people that simply put their faith in him to alleviate their anger, and step by step, slowly, they begin to see a brighter world. Bad things still happen, but its the reaction to them that changes, and its like having a huge rock lifted off your chest.

The common prayer of 'Lord give me the strength to change what I can, the patience to accept what I cannot and the wisdom to know the difference' is actually a decent thing to think about.

>I cut my ego out of the equation. Look at things objectively. Like why put others down just to seem "better" to the peers etc.

Makes sense. I don't think I'm mean to people, I think it is more that I get upset about things because I have a weak temperament.

Changing your mental state / temperament / the way you think about things, I think, is pretty tough, but doable. I've done it before, but I think it requires pretty near constant self-supervision.

>evidence for a first cause of some sort
>evidence for a first cause of some sort
>not evidence for any kind of god at all, what is the anthropic principle
>risible

>The common prayer of 'Lord give me the strength to change what I can, the patience to accept what I cannot and the wisdom to know the difference' is actually a decent thing to think about.

Agreed, thanks m8.

>My faith in Christ helps in this, and I know some people that simply put their faith in him to alleviate their anger, and step by step, slowly, they begin to see a brighter world. Bad things still happen, but its the reaction to them that changes, and its like having a huge rock lifted off your chest.

I am hoping that this is what I can feel as well.

I have an RSV Bible, is this a good place to start

Follow the teachings of Christ, get involved with the community to practice the gospel. You don't have to believe to do this.

I had a ton of trouble reading king james version. New international version is my preferred choice for reading it.

Here's an important one, OP.
Review how you see God. A lot of people who don't believe often have a view of God similar to Santa because they weren't taught religion in detail, and so they never develop a proper understanding of it.

>too smart to believe in it
You're not.

examiner.com/article/of-10-highest-iq-s-on-earth-at-least-8-are-theists-at-least-6-are-christians

>2016
>worshipping a dead kike on a stick
seriously OP embrace paganism

Mormon here.
Good on you user, you should be proud of yourself.
I know it's the same for me. Despite what a lot of people say, it's brought me direction peace and happiness. OP, ask our missionaries. They can help!

>fullness of the gospel

No it's not. It's not even the Gospel, it's Joseph Smith's terrible fan fiction.

Thanks man.

I agree. I definitely don't think I am "too smart" to be a Christian, I was trying to convey my background, which is that kind of thinking.

Like, it's hard for me to just "believe," I guess.

For what it's worth, I really like the Mormons I have met. The only things that I can't quite reconcile are the somewhat conservative values

user, did you come into this thread with the express purpose of tearing others faith down?
Let's help OP rather than bicker or insult each other.

>The Kalam and Leibniz cosmological arguments are airtight

my sides can only handle so much

Baldur is my Jesus.

>the only thing I can't reconcile is the somewhat conservative values
What do you mean?

>2016 not being a crusader paladin

>not having cases belli to declare war on all degenerate nations

Well, isn't Mormonism kind of conservative in comparison with most secular societies? Eg re gay people for example.

i might also be mistaking not accepting something for hatred of it

>not having one church to rule them all

Read the Church Fathers and Other Christian philosophers.
I think C.S. Lewis's Mere Christianity is a good place for you to start, OP.

The last prophet in our church had a bit to say about that.
Christianity isn't about passively accepting everything. It's about standing up for what's right like Christ did.
The last prophet talked a lot about how God loves everyone, including gay people.
I have gay friends in the church even, you can't condemn someone for the attractions they have, but we are judged on what we do; our actions.

Words of a heretic.

My background with Christianity / theology is probably mostly from Platonism desu

that makes sense; thank you

BTW I'm the op I have just moved to my mobile.

Why? Do you think God would curse these people by allowing them to feel the way they do, which a lot of the time is something they don't control; then he condemns them for that? Even though they haven't done anything to justify punishment?
Calling a brother in the faith a heretic? Those words are not coming from God.

God doesn't think he demands, God is a fascist.

You're welcome. We're a conservative faith, but you'll find it really helps us.
Overall our marriages are stronger, having a ridiculously low divorce rate.
We value family as one of, if not the highest priority.
Go ask the missionaries, it's a bit nerve wracking I know, maybe check out Mormondotorg first.

That post doesn't make much sense friend.

>all faiths are equal

No. They're not. Mormonism will get OP sent to hell.

Of course. Because God is so sadistic he's going to send every person who hasn't been or isn't a follower of your particular faith to hell. Cause he's really nice that way.
You don't know much about my faith I see friend. We follow Christ and His teachings.
There is one way and one path, but God will give everyone the opportunity to choose whether to follow or not. Because He loves us and wants what's best for us.

My parents fight, but after going to church the few times a year they do, they are calm and nice to eachother. Fights happened after stopped going to church.

The Gospel of Christ blesses families everywhere.

Christianity is dumb, but its better than Islam. I would prefer a Christian world to an Islamic one, or even an atheist world.

Look into C.S. Lewis. This is a pretty good youtube channel. Quite good production values as well.
youtube.com/watch?v=_20yiBQAIlk

How many of you got converted because of Sup Forums?
Me reporting in

Honestly, just convince yourself of the importance of symbolism and tradition in encouraging people to live fill and happy lives. Think of religion as a form of social technology - societies that develop effective religions defeat those that do not, by dint of their greater ability to mobilize a unified will. Supporting a strong and unified religious identity is part of supporting a strong and unified nation.

>one way and one path
>Mormonism is acceptable also

You're either a brain dead, easy-believer, calvary chapel unitarian or a Mormon. Either way, I don't envy you standing before God on the day of judgement.

Soon m8

But there is one way and one path, God just allows all the opportunity to accept that path.
Why so salty?
You don't envy me at judgement? I'm trying to be a good person and follow Christ. You're insulting and tearing down my faith.
Judgement is mine saith the Lord.

>I seem to think I am "too smart" to believe in it
Yeah I had this too and I still am. I don't believe wholly, so I reasoned myself into it.
1) Because religious people commit less suicides and generally have happier lives, they must be doing something right.
2) Because Jesus died for sins of all mankind anyways, strict belief is not necessary for salvation, since I am saved whether I believe or not.
3) Therefore, I have no qualms living a good life in Christian community following the rules that bring me better life. Following God like that is what Jesus meant.

Alma 33:5 brother, amen! I am recent Mormon convert. Letting go of coffee wasn't that difficult with supporting community.

>Finn
>quitting coffee
Now I really DO believe in miracles

Dude I'm pretty much Trump at this point
>no alcohol
>no tobacco
>no coffee
>looking forward to having 8 grandkids

LDS is like LSD without drugs. Never thought I'd see any of this happening.

Research Reasons to Believe and High Ross, I was questioning religion until I found them.

I'm salty because people like you pervert and water down the Gospel to make it conform to today's lack of moral standards. And if you consider yourself a member of the church, I am well within my rights and duty to hold you accountable.

Proud of you finn-bro, stay strong in the faith.
Keep reading those scriptures and keep on the path.

All the mainstream churches are cucked, pandering so hard to liberals, especially to liberal youth. It's so incredible. My friend did some research on subject. Record amounts of people are leaving our protestant state church. Celebrated as increasing secularism. What my friend pointed out was that different fundamentalist sects are gaining record number new members. Especially from the youth. Isn't it ironic? They are losing members left and right. Literally. The people they try to keep are the ones who never cared in the first place. The people leaving are the ones who cared, but don't care anymore because the spirituality is lost. People like me are the ones they desperately want to keep in: highly educated and young. nope.exe.jpg I resigned my membership years ago.

Shouldn't be difficult. The world outside my comfy little church is increasingly disgusting in my eyes. I have no wish to associate with the degenerates, drunkards and harlots via my acts in any way.

We make it conform to today's moral standard? What kind of madness are you spouting? We vehemently oppose the degredation of society and the breakdown of morals.
You don't hold me accountable my friend, that's for God and my local leaders and parents to do.

Just start going to churches and find one with people you like. That's what I'm doing right now even though I have zero faith. Hopefully faith comes.