What kinds of pets do you have, and why it is you haven't discovered how cool and fun a praying mantis as a pet is yet?

What kinds of pets do you have, and why it is you haven't discovered how cool and fun a praying mantis as a pet is yet?

They're easy to take care of, low maintenance, they're cool as fuck, chicks dig 'em, and you can take them out and play with them.

youtu.be/tIwxxrgS-kk

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/tIwxxrgS-kk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The only pet i ever had was a mantis, but it died because it got severely deformed while molting.

I have a pygmy hedgehog
Pic is her

Yeah, there's only two ways a pet mantis will die prematurely and it's too much humidity growing mold, or having a bad molt.

You can solve both of those, or at least reduce them, but making sure you have a habitat that works best for the species.

those actually look really cool and i want one now, i have 2 dogs currently

i have a corn snake

Cool chill snake

A CUTE

shes pretty cool

Mantis are one of the few insects i regard as majestic and not disgusting, but strangely they're closely related to cockroaches one of the worst bugs

I could do the same thing with my dick and still have the same benefits.

i got like 7 cats atm, but most of them are the children of this whore

ill mail someone a kitten its to much

I guess its cool. Nothing beats a dog for me though. It's high maintenance, but I feel like he adds a lot of value to my life (go on runs, bitches love him, guards house, etc.)

Kek

You nailed it. They're such an amazing insect, and it's incredible how they've evolved.

It's like, in the insect world it's this extreme chemical warfare, with stinging, poison, acid, webbing, sucking out brains, laying eggs inside of stuff, it's all incredibly sick.

Mantis are born as cute, tiny little mantis versions of themselves, then hunt prey like tigers. They're so much more baller than any other bug.

They also look you in the eyes, and can learn tricks. They're easy to condition to trust you. They also like watching screens and monitors, so they'll watch you play video games.

>7 cats
gross

My mate used to breed them for a few years.
They're such fucking cool insects to sit and watch when you've just smoked for a few hours.
He never had any really exotic kinds but they were still cool.

I'm allergic to dogs which is shit but that's one proud looking doggo.

I don't want 5 of them, i'm giving rid of all of them tomorrow

Say hello to my little friend

So what can you do with a praying mantis aside from look at it and try not to accidentally smush it? You can't bond with something that's only programmed to hunt and eat other bugs, mate, and then die.

Hedgehog

I usually hate bugs and insects but wow, that's beautiful

i have an obese cat

OP that mantis looks awesome. Will consider getting one and not feeding it to my Indonesian blue tongued skink.

BTW, don't get a skink. These things are assholes. Their jaws are crazy strong. The skinks used them for breaking open eggs in the wild and my skink almost broke open my fingernail.

god and leopard gecko

Got me a Syvanna Monitor

Orchid mantis is really amazing to look at. If it wasn't for the males and females being such different sizes, with the males being much smaller, and their ooths hatching only a dozen offspring, they'd be much more common pets.

Are they expensive? Lifespan? How do you feed it? Ty for sharing.

10/10 dog

Thanks bro

Shit i liek mudkipz

LMAO

damn that shit is gnarly

Is it angry or just normal movements?

Got me a pretty large snake collection, ranging from like $500-4k a piece. Green tree pythons, amazon basin ETBS, amazon tree boas, albino olive pythons, a few of the uroplatus genus, and boiga D. Latifasciata. Sweet mantis though I've been wanting some for a while!

The fuck.
Fully convinced it was a wasp for the first few seconds.
DAMN NATURE.
SHIT'S INCREDIBLE THOUGH ENNIT.

In the pet trade the most expensive are probably orchids at maybe $35 each, wandering violin mantis $35, or devil's flower mantis, which could run up to $75 for a single bug.

The more common ones like native species or the giant Asians are under ten bucks. A lot of people also swear by ghost mantis, because they're cool looking, easy to keep, and not more than maybe $12 each.

You feed them flightless fruit flies when they're small, and then crickets when they're bigger. You can buy either at any pet store.

I jad a suzumebochi for about...10 min, then it stung me and hospital time.

This is phil. Found him when he was a baby, lying on the sidewalk. No mother came to get him so I took him home and hes been a massive pain in the ass every since. Always fucking eating, bites the shit out of my hands, cant hold still for a fucking second, and he pisses and shits everywhere. But other than the mess and the cost of the cage hes pretty easy to care for.

That's pretty cool user, op was interesting today. I live in a huge city, gonna take a look but get further advice before buying at the store.

Im too lazy to keep looking at your squirrel but his nails look pretty long

I have a cat

This is my dumbo eared rat, Tala. Her colors are cinnamon and white, only cinnamon spot she has is her mask.

What kind of fucking retard keeps a wild squirrel for a pet. Let it fucking go

hi
wow that's huge, what do you feed it?

I would get a ghost mantis if you want something neat looking and easy to keep.

If you want something big you can play with, it's kind of like having a tiny cat, get a big native species like the Chinese or order one of the giant Asian species.

Room temperature is fine for most species, and you just spray them with a water bottle, right into their habitat, maybe once every couple days.

They're arboreal, so they don't need a whole lot of space, and a paper towel a the bottom of a mason jar with a stick and a mesh lid is all they need.

Dude seriously lose the choke collar and just train better

Snapping Turtle

It's not that huge, it's mostly due to the shitty close-up quality and because it's behind a glass. It's about 10-12 cm long
I mostly feed it special pellets, they smell like shit but he's crazy about them and seems healthy so..

>wandering violin mantis
do you keep yours in mason jars? That seems really small. And what's their lifespan?

If I let him go he'd die because hes gotten too used to humans and other animals.

phil a CUTE

does she eat corn?

where ya at?

also

you know they have operations now that stop them from making more babies, right?

I get mine as babies. So a normal mason jar is fine, then I upgrade them to a much larger one later as adults.

They don't need a whole lot of space because they're ambush predators, and prefer a small range. It also means the feeder insects like flies and crickets are more likely to go to them.

if he was hand raised since he was a baby he is no longer wild.

genius

OP's video actually answers a lot of this.

Mostly trolling, but how long have you had it?

Im no squirrel expert but I think you shouldve released it, but oh well now you're cursed with it

I got a kitty cat

Derped and gave me the low res version

give her kisses please

Every year I always see those regular green mantis bros in the garden. They keep the bad guys away, though they sometimes snack on my ladybugs...

Wow, /b is actually full of nice people with love in their hearts. What an eye opening thread.

>youtu.be/tIwxxrgS-kk [
shoot, i didn't even see that. thanks

Ants make are great pets, cheap, low maintenance and interesting to watch!

inb4 some edgy summer fag starts posting animal gore now

How do you condition them properly?

Pretty sure that's really one of the aliens from Independence Day

Acme Mantis Wax

My copper axolotl sorry it's kinda dark in my house

Heres another from when he was younger.

How dare you

holy shit adorable

You do the treadmill with your hands, and get them used to walking on your hands, hand over hand. You can also feed them honey as a treat, and they get conditioned for it.

If you keep going, and they trust you. You can hold your hands apart once they're adults, and have them fly over the gap. You can see it in OP's video.

Never knew Sup Forums liked axolotls here's mine

Nice how old is it how big is the tank and does it eat live animals?

This is my dog

How do you get them to eat honey?

more of a cat person myself, but 8.7/10. would pet.

Do you fear for your fingers?

My cock that has a thing for balls

You just put it on the end of a stick, or get honey sticks and just cut the tip open.

It's funny, because they won't trust it at first, but if you just put it up to their face they'll start eating it, and if you pull it away slowly they'll stretch out as far as they can then start walking all stretched out to keep eating.

Mantis also like ripe fruit. But you don't want to overdo it, their main diet should be insects.

All white husky with his ears being the only place where he has color, A light toast color.

Almost named him toast but gf didn't agree so troy it be

I have this.

My big old dummy

3/10 would not let from fear of losing hand to disease

Jesus Christ that's so cute please give her many kisses.
Cool snek
Cool pet! are they soft to the touch?
Kisses to all your animals user, you sound like you love your rat, she's very pretty.
Phil looks soft.

the Zodiac

I rescue pit bulls I have 2 right now. After some hard work they're awesome

cool, I thought maybe he was a Samoyed. I love wolf-like dogs like huskies and such

Thanks for tips

Yeah great dog but he's a bit of a challenge, his prey drive is off the charts. The family decided to introduce chickens into the back yard without introducing them to the dog first or letting me know or even supervising for at least 10 minutes... dog chased a 7 down in their coop and decided to bring me one when he was done....

Literaly the njggers of dogs

>rescue pit bulls
isn't there any other kind of dog at shelters these days?

A year old, I have her in a 75 gallon for now and yeah she'll eat the shit out of anything that touches the water

She's gotten me twice so far but she's too little to fuck up my finger or anything

so you're gonna kill them or what?