Why did black people abandon the guitar entirely after hip hop was created?

Why did black people abandon the guitar entirely after hip hop was created?
They used to make funk and reggae and rnb and gospel and all kinds of stuff with REAL LIFE INSTRUMENTS
All of the funk bands are white now
Sure you might be able to find some exceptions but for the most part the organ/piano is the go to for black people who are into music

What do you expect from a poor, oppressed people?

Yes, because black people no longer play instruments. You're an idiot

>hip hop is invented
>labels quickly realize it is easier to pay a single rapper and have an in-house producer than it is to pay a whole funk band
>hip hop becomes popular through force by labels
>black people stop valuing instruments as much

They fucking don't
Guitar center is full of WHITE BOIS in the guitar section and AFRICAN AMERICANS in the synth section

This is completely wrong
>hip hop becomes popular through force by labels
Hip hop was popular before labels took interest. Labels starting signing hip hop artists BECAUSE it was becoming a popular genre
>black people stop valuing instruments as much
Again, nothing to do with labels. It had much more to do with environmental and cost factors

The thing is, it blows my mind how stagnant black music has been for 30 years. It's 2017 and we're still on this same sluggish 70-90 bpm hip-hop exactly like NWA, except back when they did it, it was fresh and different. At least the oldskool funk like Kool & The Gang and Earth, Wind, and Fire was fast and you could actually dance to it. You can't dance to Kanye West.

This is actually the answer to OP's question. White people gentrified popular guitar music.

Record labels apparently decided that hip-hop is a formula that works well for them and is inexpensive to produce, so they just keep signing more and more rappers which prevents any new style of black music from developing. Why pick up a guitar when you have no chance of getting signed by Sony?

If it isn't broken...

Do you need a list of black instrumentalists? Is that what you want? You're also wrong. I see just as many black people playing guitar and bass in music stores as white kids in the "synth section".

If anything, a shift from acoustic to electronic music occurred in the black community (mid-80s, early 90s) out of necessity more than general preference

Literally half of the city I am in is black and 100% of the people I see playing the guitar not just in the streets but also in music stores are white

I don't think it's about economics because blacks played instruments with no problem in pre-civil rights movement times when they were really poor.

I'm pretty sure a guitar was a lot cheaper in the 1930s than today. Musical instruments of any decent quality (not Wal-Mart chink guitars) cost $$$.

Hooray for anecdotal evidence. Even if we assume that you're right and black people have collectively decided to no longer play instruments, do you honestly think it's out of personal preference? Like all black people one day suddenly and independently thought the guitar was lame? As many people in the thread have pointed out, it's a product of the commercialization/gentrification of black culture, in addition to cost and environmental factors

I told you, record labels like hip-hop because it's cheap to produce so they have absolutely no motivation to try anything different. They gave up on rock after 2005 for same reason--economics.

Can you not see that you're literally jumping through hoops here
Maybe black people just don't like guitar
It's not fucking Americas fault you retard liberal

EBBTG just came out yesterday tho, doesn't that invalidate the premise here?

You know you have to pay for samplers and shit too right? Those aren't free either
Yet, they still make that kind of music
You can buy an MPC for $100 online or you can buy an Epiphone guitar for $100

Guess which one they get

the thing that can sample any recorded sound including guitars

Stay tuned for a brief history lesson...

As noted, black people used to play instruments much more commonly when pre-civil rights genres like Jazz, blues, and rock were all fresh/new and there wasn't MASSIVE amounts of corporate money involved. Whenever black people have come up with a new genre or trend, it inevitably becomes hugely popular and then they get pushed out by favored white artists, so they have to find another genre -- and so the cycle continues. The problem with hip hop and instruments originated due to the crack epidemic in urban environments. Living conditions and income in the black community were at an all-time low, and thus many of them were unable to afford shiny new instruments and/or lessons on how to play them. Instead, they realized that they could use the record players that all of their parents had and blast music through speakers and "scratch" them up for their friends to dance to (break dancing). One thing led to another and hip hop was formed. Eventually major labels threw a shit load of money at it and consequently killed all other motivation to pursue a different genre. Hip hop also happens to be an awesome genre, which also helped keep it so popular. The story is still evolving to this day

This is not to say everything is the white man/America's fault, but just to acknowledge that historical context is important when evaluating musical trends

Are you such an emotionless robot that you don't understand the joy in actually making the music yourself
What you basically said is that listening to Van Halen is the same thing as being able to play like Van Halen
Should musical instruments be obsolete because I can just steal someone else playing and say I did it myself? Is there joy in that?

Black user here,I have a theory from my personal experience as a pianist and guitar player there are plenty of black people who play musical instruments, its just that hip hop as the current form of popular movement in the black community, the general expensiveness of getting an instrument, learning how to play it and getting a group formed together is a lot more to go through versus using samplers and a drum/ production machine and having somebody rap over it.

agreed

this is litterally the stupidest thing ive read in my entire life