Harry Potter Films > Harry Potter Books

Now, before you jump on me, let me just explain:

I've read most of the books and I don't find them absolutely terrible. They are enjoyable and good for getting kids into reading. I get that.

As a story, I feel that it was best served as a film series. A lot of the magic and whimsy of the books translated extremely well through a visual medium. So overall in my opinion, I think the movie adaptations articulated Rowling's vision the most even with major narrative hurdles like all the info that had to be cut throughout the 8 movies.

Who else thinks this?

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/11011400/r
imdb.com/title/tt0167260/awards
imdb.com/title/tt0120737/awards
imdb.com/title/tt0167261/awards
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

No

Considering most people don't have the attention span, imagination nor ability to read books nowadays, I don't really see how your view on this is anything but mainstream.

>Who else thinks this?
Not me.

If you can't read a book and imagine it happening visually inside your head then I can make two assumptions about you:
1) you play a lot of video games
2) you were born after 1997

I never said it was or wasn't mainstream...

lol no, I wasn't born after 1997. I love reading, faggot. Harry Potter isn't some form of high art here. I just feel like the films do a great job. It's not even like the books are that well written.

>can't read a book and imagine it happening visually inside your head
Something I've never said that I can't do.

Do you think preferring the Harry Potter films (of all the things in the world) actually makes you this?

kek, man. Sorry I insulted your hugbox apparently.

obviously

I like how I won't get any actual discussion with this. Fantastic board. Only actual criticism was that I'm an unimaginative person who is being mainstream.

Thanks guys. Great film versus book discussion...

the films are completely different works of their directors as they should be, i thought the only sketchy one was Newell.

you will only get memes and shitposting here but the films are much better. books 5-7 werent that good and had lot to cut. the films did a great job with those and 1-3

7 > 8 > 3 > 6 > 5 > 4 > 1 > 2

Thats a pretty baller ranking

7>3>6>8>5>2>4>1

I like the tone shift towards the end of the film series, I think it doesn't get pulled off as well as it should in the books since Rowling sort of just keeps the train on the tracks enough to come up with just a passable ending. She didn't even plan past the first book initially. You can tell with how she writes I think.

Movies are trash that shouldnt be watched.

Books are readable at best.

Shit series and you should be shamed to "like" this.

>Shit series and you should be shamed to "like" this.
>WAHHH you like something I don't so you should be ashamed.

oh man, really makes you think doesn't it? Never heard this one before.

the films cut too much out and the pacing of the films after the third is just retardedly fast. Not to mention how cringy the script is. Theres just too much content from 4 onwards to develope a concise hour and a half film.

the tone and atmosphere of the latter ones was well serviced with yates. hes very british and subtle and easy almost. i thought they were great adaptations that succeeding in telling everything emotionally important from the books and then some

Yeah, I am not so sure that the last book needed to be two films. I don't like the trend it started with YA movie adaptations.

Yeah you are a fucking retard if you like this.

>Yeah you are a fucking retard if you like this.
Thanks for the constructive criticism. I'm sorry that we all can't just like the same things.

you sound retarded. nobody made a concise hour and a half film, they are all two and a half hours.

ootp though originally was a three hour film, they cut about 40 minutes at least making it 2hs 15min. but less ins more imho. the climax is great and it builds as a film and standalone works

the pacing is perfect for two and half hour movies. the only baldy paced is goblet of fire

Inb4 leg streching

Not all are manchildren that watch children's movies

>the only baldy paced is goblet of fire
Different user here, I'm curious as to why you think this.

You are completely letting your feelings decide that. They are two very different films. One is a character study and the other is action packed, DH1 serves its purpose and is very faithful to the book and is important with the camraderie themes as a penultimate entry.

The original print of the deathly hallows was 5.5hours long. Did you know that? They would have had to cut the hallows completely for one film and focus on the horcruxes.

how fucking predicable people getting assmad about actually good fantasy on a capeshit board

dont watch if you dont want to and dont try to act pretentious on a chinese waifu posting forum

No, I do agree with you. I should have been clear though. My bad. I just didn't the dual movie trend it started.

A Cadmean Victory > canon

desu

Not that its bad, my problems lie with the adaptation itself but the middle section although i liked the yule ball feels very different and the rest feels adrenaline styled. which i like in the second and third tasks. but between the tasks and towards the end it goes from almost having some good down time betweem the tasks to rushing it

>Not all are manchildren that watch children's movies
Again, thanks for the input samefag. I guess only manchildren watch children's movies (and that all children's films are worthless), right? There are absolutely no adults who watch and enjoy them. No normies at all.

Have you ever considered that you may be autistic?

believe me i hate the trend too but they did it properly and had enough material. to be hinest ootp and half blood dont have a midway point to split into two movies. they could have with goblet probably. but hallows has a nice climax with dobby to serve as a middle point. orignally they were going to end part 1 when bellatrix sees harry ps wcar at the mansion gawtes, glad they changed it

the hobbit was stechted too much and could have worked well as two films but deathly hallows would have been so rushed it wouldnt have been funny, part 2 alone is slightly rushed

>WAHHH YOU LIKE WHAT I DON'T
>THIS IS A VALID OPINION

There's no way you can follow the movies without reading the books. So much was left out or inexplicably changed in the movies by the end they make no sense

also I agrree with your points about rowling and the latter books

>There's no way you can follow the movies without reading the books
eh, I don't know if this is true. Neither the books nor the films are hard to follow on their own.

>7.1 as highest

Not true they really all work standalone as films and as a series. They are mysteryish for the most part anyways. Everything is told to you anyways. Just not everything from the books,

agree

I think you can follow the first 2 movies and the last two easy enough. The third is absolute dogshit and the rest are gutted I agree.

Tbh I like 3 the most and my ranking changes all the time, I usually put 3 first. Perhaps this time I felt as a film the other was stronger, its acted better. They are top 2 for me though, very different tonally but both nailed it.

tldr yea 3 is the best

>The third is absolute dogshit
lol, isn't the third one consider the best by book fans who love the films?

probably. imho it nailed it and then some.

for example im the books the time travel moves you to exactly where you were in the past, in the film when you use the time turner you go back in time right where you are standing, like you should

They're way wrong then, because it took things out which I can understand but it also added a bunch of unnecessary shit like that song and was filmed liked a horror movie even though it was a kids fantasy/adventure.

if you cant follow half blood prince you are retarded

they are mystery too fo fucks sake childrens mystery

>filmed liked a horror movie even though it was a kids fantasy/adventure.
I don't see anything wrong with changing shit up.
I don't see anything wrong with this.

Mixed genres are a thing, bud

the film is fantastic,you shouldn't compare mediums that are different and get mad at a film for being the product of the dp and director. its standalone or complementary

>Mixed genres are a thing, bud

Not when they miss the tone/feel completely.

it didnt miss the tone it has its own tone thats perfect

>Not when they miss the tone/feel completely.
in your opinion. I thought it was decent. I don't feel like it detracted from the film more than it added something different to the movie as a whole

There's so many more different things you can do with tone on film that are different from anything you could write

Exactly

If they weren't using the book titles, they could have called Hallows part 2 something else entirely, rather than contributing to the part 1 and 2 thing that now plagues film series.

They sort of started it, rather than just "contribute" to it.

The films suck. I just rewatched 2/3 of them all and i could go on because they sucked so much

I wasn't sure if it was the first to do it or not, so I was playing it safe.

Prizoner of Azakaban is total kino

o they dont lol get a better tv, and go back to watching whatever you think is great

So is half blood prince and deathly hallows part 1. chamber is also potterkino

strawpoll.me/11011400/r

I absolutely hate reading books "for fun".

You'll understand why when you go to university and have to spend thousands of hours reading legal cases or solving complex mathematical problems.

I also understand that those who graduate in sociology or who work in McDonalds have the urge to read Harry Potter so they can feel intellectual.
People with real jobs also don't have the time.

Also:
> Book has no soundtrack (hurrrr duurrrr, duuuudeee I just imagine the soundtrack, huurrrr)
> Reading a book takes too much time
> Reading is uncomfortable

>I absolutely hate reading books "for fun".
>You'll understand why when you go to university and have to spend thousands of hours reading legal cases or solving complex mathematical problems.
>I can't distinguish the difference between reading for work and reading for leisure.
>people with real jobs don't read.

Jesus fuck, can you sound any more of a contrarian, funless faggot if you tried?

> Reading is uncomfortable

If you don't understand why leisure reading has real value than you are an absolute moron.

HP just sucks. There's no interesting characters, the villain is boring, etc.

Yeah, and all those prominent literary people who write novels that sometimes are even regarded as some of the most important books in literature are all just wasting their time. Why can't we all just spend thousands of hours reading only legal cases?

Oh, woe is us.

>villian (singular)
>no interesting characters
>probably likes mad max fury road
what did he mean by this

Sirius Black is interesting. No?

OP here, what exactly is wrong with Fury Road? Probably the best action movie made in the last fucking decade. Almost pure action kino, done right. What's wrong with it?

implying it had no interesting characters, its overrated its a pure action movie but people act like its a masterpiece i was bored by the end of it

On a technical level it is damn well made action film. It is also beautiful to look at.

I don't like the cinematography, almost contantly bright borderlands teal and orange, gets tiring I like HPs more

>its overrated
Tell me why it doesn't deserve an Oscar then?
>its a pure action movie
Yes. But probably the best one shot in ten years, famalam
>people act like its a masterpiece
probably because of the pure kino cinematography, real sets and practical effects.
>i was bored by the end of it
Sad given the fact that the entire film is an explicitly easy to follow visual car chase.

>oscar
stopped reading oscars mean jack and shit fury road is the cherry on top pay attention

memepost discarded before i saw your picture even

Mad Max sucks too. The only reason why HP is successful is because kids love magic.

>entire film is an explicitly easy to follow visual car chase
exactly why it sucks i didnt care

Well, since your autism got in the way of actually reading, I said for YOU to explain to me why it doesn't merit any praise especially the praise it got that led it to get an Oscar.

The films were successful because the british put care into them. They are the best fantasy series besides lotr

>memepost discarded
It wasn't even a memepost aspie

>comparing Harry Potter to Tolkien
Just stop

>comparing Borderlands to a franchise that has been around for 30 plus years and not liking the films because some Sup Forums meme-tier schlock game has "teal and orange" like the movie it's based on.

>oscars

>oscars
>not a meme

They've been meme awards since before snubbing Fellowship of the Ring and the Two Towers

I don't think that user was "comparing" them.

>snubbing Fellowship of the Ring and the Two Towers
Are you a fucking retard? They waited until Return of the King came out and then nominated THAT for 10 plus fucking awards.

How dumb are you? They waited for the trilogy to come out to award the final installment.

What you are saying is factually wrong.

youre honestly an underage retard. and your frogposting is evident, they were snubbed

>OSCARS ARE A MEME
>OSCARS ARE A MEME
>REEEE

Okay, but can you tell me why YOU THINK it doesn't deserve the praise? Which has and remains to be, the fucking point?

because its www.reddit.com the movie the other mad maxs are better this one sucked www.reddit.com

same reason jurassic world sucks bad characters and written badly.

>youre honestly an underage retard. and your frogposting is evident, they were snubbed

No, they weren't:
imdb.com/title/tt0167260/awards

Why are you being an autist? The Academy waited until the third one came out. You do realize that Return of the King swept the Oscars that year, right?

Or are you that retarded?

>Return of the King wins 11 Oscars
>"they were snubbed"

You can't make this autism up

Are you that retarded you arent understanding that ROTK was the worst and didnt deserve any of those awards. The pacing, sucked and the directing and editing and cinematography was the worst. Dude epic!

They didnt even get a single acting award the entire series. Meme awards fuck you

Fellowship and Two Towers were snubbed best picture.

They got ZERO acting awards. The Oscars mean nothing. You know they deserved acting awards

The question wasn't your opinion on the quality of the film, it was that it won 11 Oscars and wasn't snubbed.

>The pacing, sucked and the directing and editing and cinematography was the worst. Dude epic!

"Best Picture
Barrie M. Osborne
Peter Jackson
Fran Walsh

Best Director
Peter Jackson

Best Writing, Adapted Screenplay
Fran Walsh
Philippa Boyens
Peter Jackson"

Someone disagreed with you.

>Fellowship and Two Towers were snubbed best picture.
Again, I'll explain this to you because you seem to not know how the Academy works and your autism is exceptional:

They WAITED FOR THE TRILOGY TO END before nominated the LAST MOVIE for things they would have nominated the ENTIRE TRILOGY FOR. Do you understand?

You don't know what the word snubbed means.

Do you think I care about the oscars disagreeing with me, the gave zero acting awards to the series.

nobody gives a shit about them besides memesters

>They WAITED FOR THE TRILOGY TO END before nominated the LAST MOVIE for things they would have nominated the ENTIRE TRILOGY FOR. Do you understand?
KEK

>movie wins 11 Oscars
>"none are for acting" so none of those awards count.

Sure, user.

>nobody gives a shit about them besides memesters

The question isn't "do the Oscars objectively matter", no. Of course they don't, aspie. That's not the point.

Do you have a problem understanding this? This is factually correct. The Academy does this with trilogies sometimes. They consider the final act as the representative for the entire series. It's not often but it's true.

>You'll understand why when you go to university and have to spend thousands of hours reading legal cases or solving complex mathematical problems.

Nice try, faggot. I finished university, got a degree in physics. I had electives in philosophy, psychology, economics, sociology and English. I enjoy reading. Is that so hard to comprehend for you?

Law is something that doesn't attract me at all. I have no wish to read 1000 page books of bullshit.

They're not high art but they are written very cinematically. You can literally read it and watch it unfold in your mind.

>Fellowship and Two Towers were snubbed

imdb.com/title/tt0120737/awards

imdb.com/title/tt0167261/awards

Are you retarded?

>but they are written very cinematically.
What do you mean by this, exactly?

>They're not high art but they are written very cinematically

>best fantasy series
>not dark tower
GET THE FUCK OUT REEEEEEEEE

I think he meant "film" series.

>is asked to give him opinion on why Fury Road wasn't to his liking
>"it reddit and bad" (I won't tell you why though)
>compares it to Jurassic World

Just, stop.