People on this board actually think well colonize other worlds

People here think that well be able to make ships move faster than the speed of light because they played mass effect. They think that gravity on other planets will be just like that on Earth. They think that we can change the climate of mars by nuking the poles because Elon Musk said so. They think we can change the atmosphere to make it breathable. There is literally nothing worthwhile in space except mining asteroids for resources. Why would anyone want to live in a space station their whole life or a planet where they cant ever take on their mask.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-replicating_spacecraft
twitter.com/AnonBabble

People already live in cities their whole lives.

Living in space habitats or domed cities on other planets isn't too much of a stretch.

Also, nice strawman arguments. There are plenty of viable, low energy colonization solutions that you failed to discuss.

Because one day the earth will be destroyed by the sun you disgusting worm

Colonization is a meme Well never colonize Mars well never colonize the moon we cant terreform planets.

If you've lived even 30 years ago you would have a grasp of how technologically advanced weve come in such a small amount of time. People thought getting to the moon was impossible too you know

SO what. You want humans to just live in space stations there whole life. Such a stupid argument. Why does it matter if humans continue on or not if there home is destroyed. Muh human race must live on give me a break.

>People
Bad argument. we cannot move faster tan the speed of light. This ideology is basically a cult. Muh we need to have our eggs in more baskets.

"We" won't

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-replicating_spacecraft

Anything is possible. You just have to be yourself.

Just be yourself a non gender binary queer pansexuall trannie

You people are spics aren't you?

People with your mindset should be shot.

Just because it might not be possible doesn't mean we shouldn't try.

>muh human race must live on give me a break

You're right. Let's just all do nothing. Let's go out an blow our brains out in the street.

Where do you people even come from? You're as bad as fucking Muslims.

you could realistically make giant space stations capable of actual life if you built up space infrastructure
you don't need FTL to colonize anything anyway.

well being a little bitch won't help you colonize shit that's for sure.

You're completely right. The only reason people think that space colonization is going to be a thing is because they grew up on a diet of sci-fi videogames and movies.

This is literally a cult. You guys have no argument and dont understand that money could be spent on much more useful things than things autistics read in a sci fi book or a video game

>low energy colonization solutions
Get a load of this faggot.

The whole reason people think space colonization is cool is to find other planets. Well we already have one. And we know that other planets would not be able to sustain us like the one we have now. So why would anyone want to live on such an inhospitable place. We should make earth awesome and stop this nonsense of leaving we know we wont find anything like Earth.

Why though? If it doesn't matter what happens to humans and humanity, who cares what we do with money.

>speed of light

How is this a barrier to colonization?

>Let's keep humanity all on Earth until inevitable overpopulation occurs, or a giant asteroid hits us.

If you think there aren't ways to get to a habitable planet one day or even create our own planet then you are a fucking degenerate retard.

The survival of our species is the only thing that matters and if you think otherwise you are just a Nu-male that doesn't understand the importance of genetics and lacks the basic survival genes to survive.

>humanity, who cares what we do with money.
We could use it effectively instead of wasting by sending people to mars for you know no reason at all

>we know we wont find anything like Earth.

you would be the people who told explorers not to find the new world. "Let's stay in Europe, there's nothing else out there". That's what you sound like.

"People on this board actually think well colonize other continents

People here think that well be able to make ships move faster than the speed of walking because they played in the sea. They think that weather on other continents will be just like that on Africa. They think that we can adjust to the climate of Europe by putting on clothes because Ooga Booga said so. They think we can change to agriculture to eat. There is literally nothing worthwhile on the rest of Earth except mining mountains for salts. Why would anyone want to live in a cold hut their whole life or a continent where they cant ever take off their clothes."

- 50.000 BC, Africa

Do you know how long it takes to get to another solar system. Unless you think the moon or mars are perfectly habitable.

except we now have modern science that shows just how complex our world is and how it would literally have to be a complete replica of earth for us to live in it.

It's a pretty basic concept but retard like you refuse to understand. One day we will find out how to and if not we can simply terraform other planets or create our own.

But like you said earlier:
>muh human race must live on give me a break

So again I'll ask. Why does it matter how we spend money?

hahahaha

>implying it shouldn't be a thing

I bet you won't breed in your lifetime with Nu-Male thoughts like that. Humans are pioneers and nomads. One day we will spread our seed to the stars.

>So again I'll ask. Why does it matter how
because were alive now and have a habitable planet we acclimated on. My point was why is it important for humans to live on if theyre stuck on a space station.

Yeah, a really long fucking time.

But it's still physically possible to move mass to another system.

Saturn is probably the best candidate of all of the natural bodies for colonization in our system.

Other than that, various cylindrical habitats in solar/planetary orbits are probably the next most feasible.

I bet you played mass effect

Why do you want humanity to die out?

Just because you're a loser with nothing to give to society doesn't mean society isn't worth having.

So you believe we could make a planet where we could have a comfortable gravitational strength and one where we could breathe without a mask

>Muh human race must live on give me a break

Yes, it must. We have an obligation to our species to survive, prosper, and grow for as long as we can. It's a shame the people like you exist in every generation.

You misunderstand.

We don't know how we would colonize other planets, or even get there for sure. People are well aware of the difference in gravity, climate, why it is, at least with modern day technology, impossible to travel faster than light or go around it any other way.

That doesn't mean we should just lay down everything and say "nope not possible" and never even try to find a way to do it. We know so little about it there is no way for us to exclude the possibility of colonizing any other world.

While we are working out other, more practical stuff as maybe you'd put it we can use our collective knowledge and our furthered advancements to maybe find a way. That's how we have been doing it the last, i don't know how many thousands of years. Ever since some guy found out how to make a spear.

>why would someone cross the ocean with a bunch of dirty criminals on xvi century ships to go to a deadly jungle where you would be unable to remove your armour because you are constantly being attacked by a horde of barbaric madmen

Im saying living isnt that great unless we have a planet. Living o a space station forever would be depressing

I used to think that space travel and colonization was inevitable, but as technology has progressed I think it's going to be fundamentally different than we expect.

We are making pretty much zero progress towards ftl travel, and slower than light ships seem pointless. If we send a cryogenic colony ship out expecting it to take a few thousand years to reach a habitable system, humanity left on Earth will advance and change so much in that time period, maybe even working out ftl travel and having a different ship get there first. And if we dont, at best communication times will be so great and the journey so long that we basically won't ever know own if it was successful.

Coputers and networking technologies are progressing by leaps and bounds however. If we are talking about a time line a few hundred years long, I see no reason why tech such as quantum computing wouldn't allow us to digitize our species. If we can mimic a human brain with a high tech prosthesis, we should be able to copy or transfer a human mind directly over, creating an ai indistinguishable from an actual person. A stl ship loaded up with a colony of this ai would be an order of magnitude easier to create and maintain vs a space meat locker. Plus time would be relativly.meaningless to the crew allowing "society" to progress along the way. If the mission is successful, great. If not, then you end up with a functioning city in space.

>Stuck on a space station

The only point of staying on a space station would be to inevitably find a planet suitable for human life so we could populate it. Besides it wouldn't just be a "space station" anyway retard. It would be more like a space blimp or space ship.

In space stations with no hope of ever getting earth back?

Really? Are there no people living in the space station right now? Is there a miniature earth inside that space station?

And using modern science as an excuse, is like saying "well we have a perfectly fine boat but let's not use it". We don't know the exstent of what we can do.

And finally, none of what you said changes the fact you would be the same people who said "don't leave Europe and explore on the ocean". That's what you're saying. They didn't know what was out there. They didn't know what they'd find.

And yet they did it anyway because they were human beings. Not some disgusting pitiful trash like you.

I did but ME3 ending was a disappoint

I bet your ancestors also thought we would never fly Nu-Male

Anywhere and everywhere we can.

Sounds rather like your opinion.

What are the odds of finding a planet that has the exact gravitational strength and atmosphere and climate as earth. ya its zero

I don't give 2 shits about finding Earth V2.0, I want to explore. I want to see plasma based life forms, find out if you can fly through a wormhole, and take selfies in front of active supernovae.

>because were alive now

HAHAHAHA

"me me me me me"
That's what you sound like you disgusting sub human filth

>has the exact gravitational strength and atmosphere and climate as earth. ya its zero
So you think well find a golden egg of a planet that will be just like earth. Cmon

Eventually, yes, probably take tens of thousands of years to accomplish a perfect match.

But we'll likely compromise and colonize locations that meet some of the many criteria.

Saturn's surface, for example is about 1 Gravity and it has a protective magnetosphere. You'd have to live in sealed floating habitats, but it's physically possible and far less of an energy investment than terraforming.

>People on this board actually think well colonize other worlds
They are stupid monkeys. Monkeys don't belong to space. Even if space colonisation is possible (Fermi paradox says no) it will be robots who will do it. Fragile monkeys literally would not be able to compete with robots (or cyborgs). Evolution and natural selection have no mercy.

>There is literally nothing worthwhile in space except mining asteroids for resources.
That's pretty much the LEAST worthwhile thing to do in space. The amount of fuel to get any resources back from space, and the lag time it takes, may completely outstrip the economic benefit of it. With that kind of tech, we could more easily drill into the earth's mantle and pump whatever's down there up, or just outright transmute them from other elements.

The real reason to go into space is cultural and social. Expand to create new habitats, to explore, or to spread a philosophy.

>b
you left out my ponit of that we have a planet. Way to strawman me you obviously have no argument.

Those robots will be us.

why would anyone want to be a robot.

Who says resources have to be transported to Earth?

Far less energy to utilize them in place or transfer them to another location that isn't a big gravity well.

Yeah like fishes are humans.

FTL travel is still impossible right now obviously but we work towards more discoveries in quantum physics each day. It could happen.

Gravity on other planets can be measured by probes. Mars is a long shot but habitation inside enclosures is possible, but terraforming would take god knows how many centuries if not millenia. What's worthwhile in space is having an escape plan. If there is a doomsday event we cannot avoid, we need a backup home.

I could just as easily ask why would anyone want to be a fragile meat bag?

>it needs to be exactly like earth lmao

It really just needs to have high amounts of oxygen and be in the "goldilocks zone" True it wont be super easy to find planets in the "goldilocks zone" But it still can be larger or smaller than Earth lol. We would simply adapt. If they gravity is stronger perhaps we would augment ourselves to help counter it or if it wasn't much larger we could physically adapt to the extra restraint. If it was smaller like mars for example than we would be a lot lighter and our bone mass would lighten as well and we would become slightly taller.

Did you go to school by chance?

>meme
Argument immediately discarded, abandon thread. Sage goes in all fields.

>They think that gravity on other planets will be just like that on Earth.

Scientifically illiterate man detected.

Planets with less mass have less gravity. Planets with more have more.

No one is implying what you implied.

Oh I saw it.

I left it out because that's not the important part of what you said. You don't give a damn about anything but yourself and what you said proved it.

Don't try to act as though this isn't what you meant.

Why would anybody not?

>not limited to how you were born, you could have different limbs for different purposes
>no need for space suits, etc
>no genetic defects
>backup consciousness, die horribly and wake up at home maybe missing a few hours of memory
>much stronger

I could go on

robots would have zero emotions. Humans can experience happiness and love even if they also experience sadness.

>move faster than the speed of light
>implying that's the only way something can move
>what is quantum entanglement
>implying we know jack shit about nature to be this defeatist

>What is an EMP blast?

Ya i dont think so. Seeing as humans program computers only another human could start the programming for such an event.

Through the amount of fail safes and things such as EMPs it would be pretty easy to end any sort of "robot" uprising.

>implying we're making huge strides growing fins and gills

Haven't been keeping up with prosthetics/cybernetics research have you?

Yes, there will be a Sup Forumsony, and yes, it will be all male. AIDS will have been eliminated by then, so it's largely going to be a massive circle jerk and buttsex bonanza. This is the bold future humanity is making for itself.

And as we work to understand the brain more and more and create more complex AI, we could very possibly create an artificial, non-biological brain that could house a human-like consciousness that could feel emotions for all you know. It's not like it'd be how current robots are.

Weve already seen that low gravity has an effect on our eyes we could eventually become blind on a different gravity world. Youre getting all these so called facts from shit like halo and mass effect.

This.

I literally cannot wait to discard my meatsuit and live inside a 10,000 year colony ship.

>ctrl-f "quantum"
every time. "quantum mechanics" is always a nice filler argument. You never know what those quantum scientists might discover! Maybe warp drives for spaceships

>robots would have zero emotions

Why?

What physical barrier prevents robots from being designed with complex neuroelectrical/chemical responses to external stimuli?

Actual people think this Im not saying science say this

>Live on 0.96 G world
WOW SO DIFFERENT

>money could be spent

Money is paper. Resources is what we spend to do anything. Resources on this planet are limited. Sooner or later, we'll run out of them and then we die. We have no choice but to try and get resources from outside our planet, whether it's possible or not. Because if we don't try and succeed, then it's game over.

>Why would anyone want to live in a space station their whole life or a planet where they cant ever take on their mask.

because earth and humanity on it severely sucks cock?

So on a higher gravity world will we SEE LIKE HAWKS?

Neat.

And actual people can be retarded like you, what's your point?

So basically Ghost in the Shell?

You seem to believe that living on Earth, or an Earth like environment is a requirement for living well, or having a desire to live. And therefore due to the difficulty (assuming it always remains difficult) of creating an Earth-like environment, or finding one, that all efforts towards space exploration are pointless.

Your issues are faulty assumptions that only life in an Earth-like environment is worth living, and that technology will not develop to such an extant that it solves the former problem, should it even prove to be one.

Besides, as this user said, you're coming across like a whiny nihilist only concerned with the here and now with not a single thought spared for the future and existence of human race.

>hard life isn't worth living
>why does the human race have to exist if its hard?
>but we're alive now, so why bother spending money on the future instead of current comforts

You're pathetic and short-sighted.

Whatever you say, Lord Frieza.

>.
>I left it out because that's not the important part of what you said. You don't give a damn about anything but yourself and what you said proved it.
>Don't try to act as though this isn't what you meant.
no I actually do care which is why I wouldnt want to damn generations to being stuck on a space station with no hope of ever returning to earth. Like I said you have no argument ere except muh feels we need humans to live on in space stations. Why why should humanities future lie in living in space station without a home planet to return to.

Nice 2015 meme

>what is evolution

If enough humans were born on a foreign planet over a long enough peroid they would adapt u mongoloid as long as the environment was similar enough. If you don't think we could just have sophisticated computerized eyes by then anyway then you need to pay attention to modern science and robotics.

Have you rolled on Putinka in honour of the grandpas who was at the war?

There's a fairly solid chance of overcoming the limitations you mentioned given enough time, but there's a far greater chance of being sent back a couple of hundred years before we can actually manage that step. We've used most of the "easy" resources to reach this technological stage. If we get sent back again through a nuclear war or a natural catastrophe, there may not be enough left to reach the stage that would make wide-spread space colonization true.

>Why?
>What physical barrier prevents robots from being designed with complex neuroelectrical/chemical responses to external stimuli
emotions come from chemicals. Why would an ai want those if it would make it less effective at progress.

BINGO
/thread

yes you are right goy. we will NEVER get to even have moon bases because rockets are too expensive. you listen well to our scientists on tv who say it is IMPOSSIBLRU to travel faster than light like. we are the only life in all the universe because some math nerd figured it out for us. its purely coincidence that more and more people are seeing weather balloons in our skies and filming them with their smartphones. there is also no need to investigate all technologies that could potential compete with oil, coal, or natural gas. our future in energy is in SOLAR or WIND energy, not magic "zero point energy" like those lucrative science fiction films you love so much. btw be sure to see the NEW independence day movie where humans kick alien butts!

nononono The majority of those who think about colonizing other worlds do not think about the difference of gravity.

OP = BTFO

>Sup Forums Science division 2016
>People here think that well be able to make ships move faster than the speed of light because they played mass effect. They think that gravity on other planets will be just like that on Earth. They think that we can change the climate of mars by nuking the poles because Elon Musk said so. They think we can change the atmosphere to make it breathable. There is literally nothing worthwhile in space except mining asteroids for resources. Why would anyone want to live in a space station their whole life or a planet where they cant ever take on their mask.

>/pol Science division 1860
People here think that well be able to make ships that can fly because they read Joules Verne. They think that gravity on this planet can be overcome just like that. They think that we can change the climate by praying to god because the Pope said so. They think we can change the atmosphere to make it un-breathable. There is literally nothing worthwhile in travel except mining for resources. Why would anyone want to live in Hawaii their whole life or a country where they cant ever take off their top hat?

You can't possible be this stupid.

nononono The majority of those who think about colonizing other worlds do not think about the difference of gravity..

>The amount of fuel to get any resources back from space, and the lag time it takes, may completely outstrip the economic benefit of it.
This is another thing. If you really serious about space colonisation you would be forced to produce stuff in space from space resources. It is much more energy efficient than dragging stuff up and down in gravity well of Earth-like planets. that mean that you will be having full production cycle in space. Ehhh why do yo want to deal with planets again? After you become space race you simply don't need to deal with stinking planets anymore this is no efficient. Space would be populated by space optimised robotic race who live in space and kick back any monkeys who want to awkwardly crawl from their planets. These monkeys will have no chance like fish has no chance to come out from oceans again on Earth.

The ideal colonized world would be a very earth-like planet. And of course studies would be done on early colonists to see just how much a 0.2G or whatever difference affected them.

Do you have a problem with what I said or something? I'm pretty sure I was just telling the objective truth about humanity's future. So, I don't understand why you're acting like a cunt.

>robots would have zero emotions. Humans can experience happiness and love

So that's it is it? Emotions? The same exact emotions billions of humans had before us and the same exact emotions billions will have after us. That's all you want to live for? That's all you care about?

People like you need to be exterminated. Your mindset is a detriment to human progress and advancement.

It's unlikely that we'll have the destructive energy necessary to throw mankind back that far.

Given our current nuclear arsenals, a temporary setback to the 19th century for most modern nations would be more likely, followed by rapid redevelopment because of the current widespread dissemination of technological knowledge and tools.

Hollywood really has fucked up our preconceptions about nuclear war.