Hi friends, I'm not sure if you can help me but I found a possibly injured bird earlier...

Hi friends, I'm not sure if you can help me but I found a possibly injured bird earlier. It seems to hop around occasionally, keeps it's left eye closed and kept "cycling" it's head. I put it on a blanket to keep it warm and it seems to have calmed down. It's just breathing really heavily now and it's head isn't moving around anymore because I think it's relaxed. I'm planning on taking it to the vet if it survives the night. Any tips on how to keep it alive or comfortable ?

Prayer?

When birds get to the "can be captured by humans" stage, they're usually a day away from death.

I really want to keep my buddy alive, is there anything i can do to maximize it's lifespan at this point? At the very least I want to take it to the vet.

No. If you provide it food(tiny bits of bread), water, and warmth, that's all you can do.

It sounds like it's got a head injury and internal bleeding, and whether that kills it is entirely a matter of chance.

It didn't seem to respond to bread and water, but i have it wrapped in a blanket on my lap. I figured keeping it warm would be the best bet. Thanks for your help nonetheless. I'm a sucker for animals and I can't remember I felt so bad for anything.

What do I name him?

If he survives, i'd name him Chance.

name him "Huginn" it's norse. with that beak I would say he eats seeds. get some bird feed most stores have it.

looks like a starling, they eat seed and bugs. maybe meal worms might be tasty for him/her

Agree on the ID, looks like a starling to me as well. Tbh they'll pretty much eat anything, though worms and seeds are top shelf food for them.

I wish you and your small feathered friend only the best, user.

Threads like this give me hope in humanity.. Sup Forums is such an.. evil place.

Update: it's a robin, I'm in Illinois. He's twitching his head less and seems to be moving a little more. Right wing may be broken because he can only extend the left wing. Once I touched underneath the wing he shit himself. How should go about feeding him water? Also, his left eye is still closed and he's standing instead of laying down.

>his name is now chuggin. Chance + Huginn

I'll keep you posted til the end of the night and I'll make another thread tomorrow.

Cum on his back.

Why is your camera so shitty?

No thanks

It's a shitty camera phone, it's all i can do when I'm outside

I wish the best for the bird, but please remember to wash your hands, birds carry some pretty bad diseases.

Keep it warm for the night and go to the vet tomorow.
WHat kinda bird is it?
Do you know if it feeds on seeds, fruits or insects?
There's some websites that could help you but yeah, birds that get so weak they can get caught by humans hands generally don't get better.
Sorry OP

>2560x1440
>looks like dog shit
>2017
>mfw

it's better off if you just take a firm grip of its head and tug sharply, or if you're to pussy to be so humane, hold it under water while you cry like a little girl.

seriously. if it's in pain, it's just waiting to die at this point. shit is always happening in nature, you just happened to bring it inside this time.

were it a rare or endangered species, that may be different, but starlings are a thriving and at times even invasive variety of bird. one of many will not be missed.

I can't see shit.
Does it looks young? Like not entierely covered with feathers or it doesn't have an adult color?
The younger it is the higher chances of dying it has :/

If this shit happens all the time, then it can stand to suffer in agony for a day on the off chance that it lives so OP can feel like a magnanimous superior animal.

It keeps soiling itself. I feel so awful, but I'm definitely keeping hygiene in mind.

It's a robin

It's true watches at $ 0?.

here, this should help a little..

ever been in so much pain that the only thing you could was to strain so hard you shit yourself?

...or maybe birds shit all the time because of the high metabolism required for flight capability...

I can't bring myself to do that. As bad as I feel, i can't help but try to nurture creatures that can't help themselves.

It has adult feathers. It seems middle aged

Already tried three other boards, no responses.

I don't know man it just keeps twitching. My heart is really heavy. I don't want to kill something that has a chance of survival.

to be fair, birds poop a lot.

Put the bird on it's back, it should immediately try to right itself, if it does it probably isn't going to make it.

Keep it warm despite if it is summer wr you are, or whatever temp, shock drops .
You have anything like that rescue remedy stuff, it can be given to animals safely.
No actual meds like paracetomal, far too risky.
A cardboard box , lined with newspaper it can shred and nest in and as you've done, a blanket, is excellent.
I rescued a kittiwake before, it's a type of seabird similar to a gull.
Some spasticated cunt had hit it and I picked it up, holding the wings gently but firmly to the body, got a box from the shop across the way and brought it home.
Taxi driver said
"well done good girl yourself!" (a very colloquial sort of thing ),and dropped me to the vets free, where they said it looked good and hopefully make a recovery.
In this country they have to treat wild animals by law so that's brilliant.
Like to see people looking out for them.
Also nursed a fox, a young vixen I found ,again, some sack of excrement in a car hadn't stopped, and she was yelping, crying in the snow, and I ran up to her. She stopped crying right away and not once so much as curled her lip.
Think she knew I wanted to help because animals really are intuitive.
She did not make it, died as I was going back to the vets a second time , but least she spent her last while on the warmth being looked after, they gave her a strong painkiller the first time, and kept her by the radiator.

Birds are obvs not mammalian, so different guidelines but fresh water and some bread ,if it has an appetite that's a good sign
Are you going to take it to a vets, or are there any santuraries near you? That's somewhere that could help.

Very down and despairing of humanity today , so Thank You user, for showing decency.

I don't think birds have a voluntary anal sphincter, they just shit whenever their cloaca is full enough.

Don't worry. If it's gonna die, it's gonna die. If it's gonna live, it's gonna live. Aint nothing you can do about it either way. That's why i suggested prayer.

did someone legit fuck up?

Do you really want to waste a bunch of money on some bird?

Why not donate your entire salary to cancer patients?

Either end him quickly or act as a hospice nurse.

Ok. It's not an endangered species so chances are vets probably won't give a shit, you need to find a bird shelter type of organisation.
Judging by its colour and stuff it's fucking young. But not young enough to be retarded and just open its mouth for food when he sees someone so it's gonna be tough to feed it.

Apparently it feeds on insects and worms so don't give it bread. I don't know what to give it for food, but if you find something that could fit, the best way is to put it in a syringe and just shove it in its mouth. (without the needle of course).

But my best bet is just to put it somewhere very warm, and just wait for tomorrow.

Young birds are very weak and have a tendency to just die. Just like that.
It's because their parents give them viruses, but also antibodies to fight them. All of them are infected man. but you can't give them the antibodies so it will snap.
Once I found 5 very very young birds, some didn't have feathers. It was easy to feed them because they thought I was their parents.
It went super well for 8 days, the older even started to learn to fly and eat by himself in the garden. It was awesome man.
And then on the 9nth day, 3 of them just died. The 4th died in my hands. Just like that. They were sleepy, not responding, and bam, dead.
I called a vet and she told me it's a virus. WHen I asked which one she said "there's literrally 15000 pathologies that fits. and they're all 100% deadly".
My heart broke when I realised to oldest was also feeling sleepy. It fought for another 24 hours, it didn't want to go to sleep and die peacefully like the others. It yelled, and had some kind of heart attack. It was hard.

vetfag reporting in. ask and i'll help

Nut on it

I once found a baby bird that had fallen out of a nest and was dying. I tried to give it attention but no matter what I tried, nothing could help.

Eventually it stopped moving and gave up. I've never forgotten how it felt to see that little bird die purely because of circumstance.

It was depressing and some 20+ years later I still haven't forgotten how it felt to see it close its eyes forever.

I gave it a proper burial and tried to deal with it but the sadness never left.

You! Sound like a fucking piece of stale shed uterine lining clinging to a pube.
kys.

The ASPCA should take the bird op.

The bird may just have gotten into something poisonous and just needs rest.

What part of Illinois?

Mad I moved out of my mums basement and know the world isn't a nice place?

what? I gotta edit each frame one at a time? fuck that, I'm out.

Inspiring story. Every living thing deserves a second chance at life.

Thanks man. I'm doing my best to keep it warm and alive. What happens, happens.

Yes. Maybe you don't understand my perspective, but if I saw an injured person I'd give just as much care to them. A life is a life no matter how small.

I can't extend its right wing. Left eye us closed. Prefers to stand rather than near down. Twitches it's head a lot.

That was the decent thing to do. At least you tried.

I'll look into local organisations. Thank you.

Chicago suburbs

No, it doesn't mean you can't be decent. The world is shitty, but being a part of the problem doesn't help.

Good luck OP, you're a good guy.