Now that the dust has settled...

Now that the dust has settled, can we finally agree that this was a great movie and a worthy successor to the original trilogy?

Anyone who thinks otherwise is probably Sup Forums or a prequelbabby and therefore their opinions don't matter.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sg29Sa6QFes
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The only thing good about it was seeing Mark Hamill unJUST himself.

I enjoyed the movie, but I can't help but feel that's only because I don't actually like Star Wars.

Leia is just fucked now. putting her in the movie and the scenes with Harrision Ford just made me cringe.

put them both down for fucks sake. stop destroying my childhood

>pick up a lightsaber
>can defeat a Sith Lord 30 seconds later

yeah, its shit.

>Anyone who disagree with my shitposting is Sup Forums, Sup Forums, or Reddit

I would have liked it a whole lot more if it was an original story instead of a continuation of the previous story and the narrative wasn't literally just ANH with a few slightly different gimmicks.

>My opinion is fact!
Fuck off, Reddit

>prequelbabby logic

Kylo Ren isn't a Sith you fucking mong, the entire point of that character is that he's a loser pretending to be Darth Vader to make up for his raging insecurity. He's also heavily wounded and mentally/emotionally unstable after killing his dad

>B-B-B-BUT HE FROZE A BLASTER BOLT

the force isn't fucking DBZ power levels you sperglord supreme

Oscar Isaac > John Boyega > Xenomorph

The fifteen minutes where Poe and Dindu break out of the base is better than the rest of the movie combined.

>get on board the Millennium Falcon
>can repair it better than Han Solo

yeah, its shit.

>Han Solo hasn't been on the ship in years
>It's explained that Portion Guy made modifications to the ship, ones that Han was unaware of, BECAUSE HE HASN'T BEEN ON THE SHIP IN YEARS
>Rey works for portion guy and had worked on the Falcon before so she was aware of these modifications thus she was able to fix them

You're outright ignoring shit established in the movie because you're so triggered by a female protagonist. Keep being retarded.

Not him, but for a pilot who modified and flew his beloved ship for many decades, it's hard to accept the fact that some novice nobody could outsmart or be on the same level as Han Solo. It's just bad writing.

>girl luke's only character depth is abandonment issues due to a cliche tragic backstory that's shrouded in mystery
>mounts pretty much every obstacle with ease on her own with the exception of that "wrong door" scene that was played for laughs that she inevitably fixes by herself anyway

If she doesn't go through some serious development or isn't some kind of literal reincarnation of Anakin then there's no salvaging her character. Finn had a more compelling arc, and his was basically just him learning to not be a pussy anymore.

>not even a Jedi or have any midichlorians in your blood, you're just there because you're black.
>wield a lightsaber better than Obi Wan.

yeah, its shit.

Considering this movie is basically A New Hope, does that mean that the next movie is going to be The Empire Strikes back and Rey is going to spend most of it getting all sweaty and fuckable during training sequences while Finn and Poe do actually entertaining shit for the majority of the runtime? Because I'd be alright with that.

>Sith Lord
Um, excuse me, but you can't just call a dark Jedi a Sith Lord. That's cultural appropriation and it's offensive to a noble religion that dates back to great Sith Lords like Naga Shadow and Freedom Nash.

The Force Awakens was a good high budget fan movie

>midichlorians
>prequelbabby confirmed
>completely ignoring that Kylo Ren was clearly toying with Finn the whole time

Not even trying anymore, why am I still responding to you?

>Forgot to say check your privilege
You had one job

Why the fuck would Rey need training? She's already at power level 90000000, whereas everyone else is shit.

Is this the new Mr. Plinkett?

youtube.com/watch?v=sg29Sa6QFes

I genuinely hope that Rey goes all dark side and Kylo has a redemption arc. The asspain would be incredible and that would actually be a pretty fun twist.

>Rey turns to the dark side
>Evil white boy Kylo turns good
Internet feminazis will have a field day

>never ever flown the Millennium Falcon
>jump in the pilot seat and is able to perform incredible flight maneuvers against highly trained veterans

yeah, its shit.

Because she's mad powerful but lacks discipline and control. Luke's gonna give a bunch of hamfisted speeches about the light side and the morality of using the force to achieve your goals or something.

I liked it, but I hate how they made Rey a Mary Sue who out of nowhere is a fucking Jedi Master

So she's going to learn control and discipline and defeat Kylo for a second time? Why not have Snoke bend over and let Rey glide into him and spare us pointless "you are stronk Rey!" scenes? This trilogy was dead in the water as soon as JJ started writing it.

There are great things in this movie - the new characters all have great potential, the music, some of the new concepts they have introduced - but it's not a great movie. There is confusing stuff about the timeline, and the movie cannot decide if Finn is a protagonist or Rey's comic relief sidekick. I like it but it really felt like a giant teaser for the two next movies.
The whole Starkiller Base plot was also unecessary, and it should have remained only about the map to Luke Skywalker.

kek. If she's so good at flying the Falcon, why not go to it in the first place instead of calling it "garbage?" Why call it garbage when clearly she has experience flying it?

>The whole Starkiller Base plot was also unecessary,

The point of Starkiller Base is that it's unnecessary, seriously. The First Order is a bunch of impotent, angry children who want to be the Empire SO BADLY that they made a pointless, tactically useless superweapon because that's what's expected of Star Wars villains.

TFA is as much of a commentary on the nature of Star Wars itself as it is a direct sequel.

As it stands now, I'm personally disappointed with Force Awakens. If you ape a movie like Star Wars to the extent it has, how can it not be 'good' after all? You literally just copied what worked before and threw in a token female Luke Skywalker who is inexplicably more badass than Luke was in IV and V. This of course is terrible screenwriting but girl power is chic right now so it gets a pass.

Force Awakens is in a weird place for a movie, in that it's ultimate worth is dependent on its sequels. If VIII and IX do new, original, and fun/exciting things then it will be worth it. However, if they go "Into Darkness" mode, and/or just end up sucking for other reasons, and the fact that FA is little more than a IV clone, its legacy will quickly descend into shit.

I expect waves of mild dissapointment to rock the franchise soon, starting with Rogue One.

>Naga Shadow
>Shadow
>Freedom Nash
>Freedom
:^)

I've seen the movie a few times and the whole Starkiller Base subplot comes out of nowhere without any build up or prior mention. It's as if JJ and Kasdan thought "hey! Let's include a Death Star in this! xD" but forgot that ANH was all about the stolen Death Star plans and transportation of those plans to the Rebel base.

>luke's initial characterization was as an awkward naive teenager who annoyed everyone before they warmed up to him and only managed to use the force well at the end of the first movie with the help of a ghost, and then he went on to have a decent three-movie arc about the goodness in his heart winning out over the darkness surrounding him
>rey is established as a multi-talented badass who only ever stumbles a few times and is universally loved and/or respected by literally every main character immediately including her adversaries and realizes she can use the force and learns to use it extremely well all by the end of one movie

I can't tell if the pacing is just fucked or if Rey really is that bland of a character. Every attempt at humanizing her falls flat because she's constantly in terminator mode, taking down literally everything and always making the right choices. I wouldn't mind her becoming the most powerful Jedi around if they padded it out a little and had her grow into it instead of treating it like a switch was flipped. I know they want her to be a positive role model for little girls, but let her have some fucking character depth.

She's kind of a bitch and she is delusional about her family. It's not much but she does have an arc

Can we agree that it was a needless remake of episode 4? Yes we can. Can we agree it added nothing if importance? Yes. Can we agree that Kyolo Ren is actually more annoying then Jar jar binks? Yes.

>Rey despite only piloting a land speeder and showing zero scenes of wanting to be a pilot manages to fly one of the most iconic starships against military pilots through a star destroyer with only one gunner
>Immediately after this she meets han solo and shows him how to fix his own ship, only to have him say I "I can't fly this without a co pilot"which was previously shown doable by he previous scene. All so we can make it feel special and make one of the most likeable characters look like a moron.

Top kek, people actively try to defend this shit

Not sarcastic enough.
The review is quite good though.

We won't really know what is going on with TFA until at least Episode VIII comes out. The problem with TFA, aside from the fact that it's a reboot is that it is clearly setting up a ton of shit for the next films and as such it doesn't actually wrap up anything over the course of its 2 hour run. ANH on the other hand was kind of a self-contained story with a couple of loose ends in case it was successful enough to get a sequel. For all we know right now what they are doing with Rey is brilliant and she's going to eat shit in the next movie because her apparent skill in the force is just a fluke or perhaps she was just channeling the dark side the whole damn time since she was so pissed off. It's just too hard to say right now, but that is no excuse, the film should have been able to stand on its own but that isn't how they make modern franchise films like this.

At the very least I'm hopeful because Rey - Finn - Poe - Kylo Ren are a more interesting lineup than what we were left with at the end of Episode I.

>Now that the dust has settled

It was a pretty good star wars movie.

The original trilogy is pretty corny shit, so that doesn't qualify it as a "great movie".

>Can we agree that Kyolo Ren is actually more annoying then Jar jar binks? Yes.

Forgettable, unbelievably forgettable.

I usually forget about the movie unless Sup Forums or someone reminds me of it

Better than the majority of ROTJ, worse than TESB, occasionally shittier or better than ANH but overall about equal to it.

The music was just rehashed from the OT, show me a good track from the movie that didn't sound anything like the OT score.

This movie was completely unoriginal, bland, uninspiring, and poorly written. The prequels are better than this shit.

This argument is such bs. Kylo Ren is still training, we don't actually know Rey's past yet and it seems like she has suppressed memories where she might have had previous training, and Ren had just gotten fucked by that ridiculous bowcaster they went out of their way to depict how dangerous it is. Rey is 100% going to get wrecked by Ren in the next one, that's how these trilogies always work. The end of the second movie is the darkest.

Pretty much this. TFA isn't self contained whatsoever, and relies on shitty cliffhangers and future films to make it look good. If I have to wait until the next movie in the trilogy is out to judge TFA, it's already a bad movie.

The Vatican dislikes it.

Objectively

ROTS

>We won't really know what is going on with TFA until at least Episode VIII comes out.

This right here is TFA's chief problem. A movie always must stand on it's own - always.

Jesus fucking christ.

>We won't really know what is going on with TFA until at least Episode VIII comes out. The problem with TFA, aside from the fact that it's a reboot is that it is clearly setting up a ton of shit for the next films and as such it doesn't actually wrap up anything over the course of its 2 hour run. ANH on the other hand was kind of a self-contained story with a couple of loose ends in case it was successful enough to get a sequel.
I agree

> For all we know right now what they are doing with Rey is brilliant and she's going to eat shit in the next movie because her apparent skill in the force is just a fluke or perhaps she was just channeling the dark side the whole damn time since she was so pissed off. It's just too hard to say right now, but that is no excuse, the film should have been able to stand on its own but that isn't how they make modern franchise films like this.

At the very least I'm hopeful because Rey - Finn - Poe - Kylo Ren are a more interesting lineup than what we were left with at the end of Episode I.
...and then you just shot yourself in the foot. Fuck offt.

Terrible rehash of a movie made nearly 40 years ago.

Protagonist can do practically anything. Fight and acrobatic feats. Fly and repair spaceships despite living in squalor. Learn Force powers without even the basics of training well enough to defeat the movie's Force-trained villain.

In the movie it aims to duplicate the Protagonist has to run rather than fight. He only knew how to fly due to having a family situation that afforded him the ability. His only use of the Force was one single lucky shot of which he at least had a bit of instruction.

Just terrible.

I knew from the second Poe was taken prisoner and tried to smart-ass and quip his captors that this was going to blow hard.

Honestly, leaving significant data in the hands of the latest meme-robot on a desert planet? And people defend this?

D R O P P E D
R
O
P
P
E
D

You're right, that's very different from the time Luke first flies an xwing and blows up the death star

No but you see Luke had experience flying crop dusting in-atmosphere craft so OBVIOUSLY he's skilled enough to fly military grade aircraft in zero-g

Guess Empire Strikes Back is shit, huh?

You know what, fuck you. I honnestly hope you go drown yourself because it's this kind of shitty opinion that is ruining Sup Forums. I'm not even going to quote your post so that you don't get the (You) I know you're after. But seriously, fuck you.

This was not a terrible movie, overall, but it was really lazy to just essentially copy the plot from A New Hope. WAY too many callbacks and references. It was like a nostalgia masturbation fest. That really sucked a lot of the life out of the movie and made it much less than it could have been.

> comparing a character that had three movies to develop to a character that has just been introduced and has one movie

Just stop

Too lazy to even pirate it

A GLIB

It was a decent movie. Decent, nothing more. Lots of nostalgia + throwbacks to the OT is what gave this movie such high praise from critics and normies. I think the line up of characters for the future movies is way better than what we got at the end of TPM.

I was fine with Rey's character until the mind trick scene. That was the height of her Mary-Sue-ness. She needed to be a bit more fleshed out, but I blame JJ and his style for making such a fast paced movie.

My hope for future movies is that the studio got all the nostalgia out of the way with TFA and now we can start to have more original saga films.

Luke was already know to be a decent pilot (of the T16) but without any experience in dogfighting or faster than light travel, and Han chastises him for his ignorance of the latter with the "dusting crops" line.

In the battle over the Death Star he doesn't do anything really exceptional except stay alive until the end where Han has to save him and the Force takes care of the actual kill shot. He was nowhere near the Mary Sue level of Rey.

The whole design, the lack of creativity due to its commercial boundaries, its low-quality plot and factions are something we should be discussing, not "muh defeating a sith lord etc." and other shit.

Enjoying it doesn't make it good. In fact, it's shit.

Kylo Ren is nothing but a angsty teenager and wannabe Vader. Of course he's gonna lose to Rey.

does anyone have a webm of the saber duels : )) )

It's a cookie cooker project made in by business people in a conference room, not by people with artistic aspirations who care about movies. This is why it's painfully mediocre or worse, not because it's blatantly "pro-multiculturalism," although that's a legit issue as well. It folds into the movie's generic blandness though--they can gain some praise for being "diverse" which will offset some of the criticism of being a generic commercial product.

You shouldn't even be on a Sup Forums-level movie forum if this isn't all very clear to you. Your brain and understanding of film are just too elementary.

well the depends entirely on what constitutes a "great movie" and "worthy successor"

for me that requires

>character development
of which there was none

>suspenseful in its action
there was never even the remotest feeling of possibility that one of the new leads might die or be unsuccesful

>original story/ new story or direction
was a complete rehash of ep 4

>new and iconic characters, planets, cultures, goverments
needs no explanation to any fan

>decent villain with a somewhat understandable motive
>Kylo Ren sucked in everyway except his costume, which was just a Vader copy

>for a trilogy the motives and journey of the protagonist should be built on over the course, with movie one only introducing their power
Rey being expert at light saber in 1 day, Black Luke turning on his comrades in the first 5 minutes with no back story for why, yet remorselessly killing those comrades minutes later

I could go on and on and on and on, this movie was what it was, an Adam Sandler esque cash crab from a fan base that would see anything bearing the Star wars name,
and it sold it self on Cameos and Diversity of cast instead of story and substance

therefore no, it not a "great movie" nor a "worthy succesor to the original"

Its not shit its allright, its just since its the internet you can't just say alright. A lot of the things people think are shit are just undeveloped writing, like I know we'll find out why Rey is the Merriest Sue ever, so it'll probably take care of itself.

Its just very boring and not very rewatchable because theres not a lot of good tension or anything that makes it worth watching over another Star Wars movie, its just not really up to par it just takes all the same beats so it feels good the first two times you watch it beyond that you just see all it has to offer.

I want some one to come across you wherever you may be and stab you with a spoon, a plastic one repeatedly into your balls until only their fist remains as they pound you into cessation.

Kylo Ren is an angsty teenager your big pussy, dude was easily stronger than darth vader.

fuck you.

Regardless of what the force is or isn't as it pertains to trained and practiced abilities that manifest after you've been TRAINED AND AFTER YOU'VE PRACTICED. Notice how I fucking highlighted, TRAINED and PRACTICED.

That mary sue mother fucker for no reason, AT ALL, was suddenly all powerful and able to trump Kylo. Don't you respond to me you fucking idiot. Just leave, and never, ever come fucking back!

Fuck you, BECAUSE HE WAS TAUGHT BY LUKE, you fucking chinese pus paste, and, AND, you incredulous cow fucker, HE PRACTICED FROM A VERY YOUNG AGE.

Rey did fuck all yet still managed to overcome him, FUCK YOU, FUCK jj, FUCK THE HOUSE OF RATS AND THEIR FEMINIST PROPAGANDA FAN MADE FILM.

FUCK!

Fuck you, blow me!

>It's a cookie cooker project made in by business people in a conference room, not by people with artistic aspirations who care about movies.

That sounds more like the prequels, really. Remember when George made Vader Space Jesus because he sold the most toys? The Face of the Marketing had to be the literal center of the Star Wars universe.

Here's what the prequels had that this new film of yours, this piece of shit farted out by the gerbil doesn't have; LOGIC! The empire's gone and yet they're able to make a bigger death star ten times bigger than the former two and NOT ATTRACT ANY ATTENTION. Oh wait, they were killing relevent alliance members who could snoop them out and the alliance or rebellion or whatever the fuck, didn't at all notice. And the alliance doesn't have any ships now. And the bigger dumber'er death star has a flaw, just like the first two.

Fuck you.

>the prequels had logic

Jesus christ dude.

You are so autistic it hurts. Seek help.

Movie was boring. I own a copy and Ive only watched it once when it came out.

When I started watching it I hated it but after a while I began enjoying it.

Still far to derivative, but it was better than I thought it was gonna be. I enjoyed the characters more than I thought I would. Well, apart from Kylo Ren, he was pretty shit.

It's people like you that is the reason the Jewish bullshit has been allowed to run rampant and out of control, infecting every walk of life, every path of morality and decency, you people make me sick.

But watch the movies again, but this time, take your head out of jj's sjw lovin' ass, in order to have a clearer picture of what's going on.

it was okay

Do you think Chinese spies are actually watching these threads? I wouldn't put it past them

I'm not Sup Forums but this movie was a piece of shit

>(((Oscar Isaac)))
>(((Adam Sandler)))

literal kikes

Who gives a shit?

I disagree, it was pretty bland. The new characters didn't have the magic that the original cast had. Rey is fucking boring and finn doesn't do shit. Kylo is just what happens when Disney wants to make another Darth Vader but is smart enough to make him not as good as the real thing so they won't piss off fans. All of those things stick out to me and make it feel lifeless. It feels like a board room decided what to put into it instead of feeling like a passion project.

>smart enough to make him not as good as the real thing so they won't piss off fans.

And yet he used two of the more powerful force abilities ever seen in all the movies. Ah no, he's incredibly able. Rey however is a piece of shit character who had no reason to be as strong as she was.

I didn't mean in terms of abilities, I mean this character. Darth Vader is very menacing which is part of why he is loved so much. Kylo Ren is like a wannabe Vader. I think Disney made him that way because they didn't want to make it seem like Kylo Ren is better than Vader and upset fans.

D R O P P E D

No to everything you said.
Copy paste episode 4 with SJW characters instead of the originals.
4/10

>And yet he used two of the more powerful force abilities ever seen in all the movies

Kylo Ren is an idiot who's brute forcing the Force in order to seem intimidating when underneath the mask he's a scared and wimpy kid who no greater understanding of the Force

But you faggots think the Force is a literal skill tree because you grew up playing the video games

Kylo Ren is an idiot who used force bolt freeze when VADER HAD TO DEFLECT IT WITH HIS GLOVE, and Kylo Ren used FORCE INTERROGATE when Vader had to rely on torture droids to interrogate both Leia and Han.

Yeah, an idiot alright.

UNTIL MAREY SUE REY FUCKING OUT FORCE INTERROGATED KYLO BECAUSE OF feminism.

Name something interesting about it. It was pretty cookie cutter and stale.

I want to watch it!