ITT: music for people who aren't really into music to think they're really into it

ITT: music for people who aren't really into music to think they're really into it

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Qa12ewbKGbY
ubu.com/sound/
youtu.be/Z_SkJb7LPYE?t=190
youtube.com/watch?v=ziAqB9nb_To
wired.com/2011/12/hit-potential-equation/
motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/a-machine-successfully-predicted-the-hit-dance-songs-of-2015
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

radiohead
twenty one pilots
death grips

Fuck off and stop shitting on /our guy/ aphex twin

The only crime he ever committed was being kind of moderately popular in some regard

Sup Forums-core bands

Tim Hecker
David Bowie
The Chameleons
Joy Division
The Sound
Ramones
Sex Pistols
every alternative rock band

ween is on the fringe

fuck off!
leave aphex alone faggot

>Aphex Twin is popular so that means he's bad
Delete your account

youtube.com/watch?v=Qa12ewbKGbY

meant to

Why Hecker?

Fucking Pleb

twenty one pilots makes trash "alternative" pop rap and stressed out is almost at a billion views, they're in no way for pretentious chavs that think they're above everyone else

>death grips
>The Chameleons

There are a lot of pretentious twenty one pilots fans

t. dgfag

any music you like

yeah but if i've learned anything about my experience with them, they aren't even surface-level enough to listen to radiohead

I'm not the biggest fan, but most fans I've seen are actually into music.

case in point:

True, but TOP fans are definitely the kind of people to genuinely use the term "real music."

fair, carry on, my fellow comrade

hes completely right

t. person who isnt really into music but thinks hes into it

You can pretend all you like, but IDM isn't avant-garde and uncompromising music.

Pretentious doesn't mean "not my opinion"

I disagree

I like him

It absolutely can be. You may just not get it if it seems that way on surface

It doesn't go out of its way to hand you something that you can take it away out of interest to get you to listen to it again, the point is basically to not even make it clear what the point is. It's basically just music that exists and happens as it happens

It is intentionally weird, barren, esoteric and sometimes creepy.

Honestly I don't think I can think of a better archetype for uncompromising music that's the inverse of normie tastes

You are actually serious with this? The fact that IDM artists aren't as well known and make as much money as Lady Gaga for example, doesn't mean they're suddenly avant-garde. And where's the academic recognition if they truly are?
ubu.com/sound/
>Avant-garde, a French phrase meaning "vanguard" or (literally, "advance guard"), describes movements or individuals at the forefront of innovation and experimentation in their fields. Implicit in the term are the rejection of the status quo, a critique of popular convention and taste, and a striving for originality that can be intentionally provocative or alienating.

I don't like it because I think it's avant-garde or uncompromising.
Also IDM doesn't exist.

>Also IDM doesn't exist.
That's the point I was trying to make too. Intelligent dance music...

And who claims that? Even Aphex Twin thinks it's a retarded name

IDM is literally the most accessible form of "electronic" music if we don't count bro-tier house, youtubecore DnB and brostep

>Druqks
>More accessible than things like Boards of Canada, Tycho, Kraftwerk, synthwave, Massive Attack, ambient, triphop and so on

The fuck are you talking about

>One band
And again:

>that's all the bleep music he can think of

Sun City Girls

Druqks is an Aphex Twin album, please stop posting

Yes, obviously that's all I can think of, I just didn't go with the most well known examples instead of listing the hundreds of artists in my Spotify library that nobody on here has heard of, you got me there!

>Druqks is an Aphex Twin album, please stop posting
Great. Doesn't change the fact that you only provided one example, one album for that matter and not even a band. Not to mention that you didn't bother responding to the other part of my post. I really wonder why.

why do you man value yourselves by how much music you know looool
no one irl cares

any Leddit-Core

What is the purpose of this shitty thread? What, listening to certain artists means you are more "into music" than when listening to others? How do you even measure something like that? Why wouldn't I be into music if I listen to Aphex Twin?

Youre really bad at this. Stop posting.

Oh, so you don't have an argument. Great, you just proved me wrong.

Because the other post you're quoting has fuck all to do with me or my argument, I'm just here to tell you that you're an idiot for thinking this

youtu.be/Z_SkJb7LPYE?t=190

Is more accessible than this

youtube.com/watch?v=ziAqB9nb_To

daily reminder that IDM exists and that anyone who denies it is basically admitting to the fact that they haven't explored enough music to identify genre differences

Who even mentioned those two songs and that particular comparison?
>The fact that IDM artists aren't as well known and make as much money as Lady Gaga for example, doesn't mean they're suddenly avant-garde. And where's the academic recognition if they truly are?
>ubu.com/sound/

Me, because you're claiming that IDM is more accesible than music like Tycho, and your retort is to quote some completely different person that has nothing to do with me. I hate to break it to you but more than one person can think you're an idiot.

>Me, because you're claiming that IDM is more accesible than music like Tycho, and your retort is to quote some completely different person that has nothing to do with me.
I would like to see a quote of me even mentioning that. Claiming I'm an idiot while ignoring to respond to a part of my post doesn't mean you're right. If you're going to continue avoiding to respond to that, let's just call it a day and stop replying to this thread.

/thread

and youre not really in to music so hes right

daily reminder that IDM doesnt exist and you havent listened to enough music to identify the quite disparate genres that are grouped together as "IDM" by idiots

OP just wants to increase his e-penis. Don't reply to this kind of thread, user. I love you. Be safe.

>isn't avant-garde and uncompromising
Is that a bad thing?

the war on drugs

t. contrarian

If you mean normie music that make normies think they are above everyone else then I'd have to say
>21 Pilots
>J. Cole
>Chance the Rapper (fuck you i like his social experiment collaborations)
>Arctic Moneys
>The Beatles
>the xx
>Halsey
>XXXtentacion
>Weezer
>Mac Demarco
>Gorillaz

Father John Misty

I didn't say "avant-garde", peabrain. I said unaccessible. It's the antithesis of pop

Just because there's an Aphex Twin song with a million plays it doesn't make it pop--"popular"

I was more making a point of people over-romanticizing IDM and similar genres to the point of claiming it's avant-garde music.

Why is music being popular a bad thing?
I mean it is but why exactly?

Because music which is made to be popular, it's nothing more than a product really.
wired.com/2011/12/hit-potential-equation/
motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/a-machine-successfully-predicted-the-hit-dance-songs-of-2015

GYBE is not a product but it is popular.

People have shit taste. If people like it, it must be shit.

You're deliberately misunderstanding me.

Artists like Autechre actually do get a lot of respect in academia though...

Source?

Go to any university music department, find the guy who teaches the max/msp class and ask what their favorite Autechre album is, or what they think of Oval or Mark Fell or Russell Haswell or Alva Noto or whatever.

Academic music typically avoids rhythmic stuff, but other than that it's not like there's some huge divide between "art music" and "popular music".

>using the term IDM
>ever
Nobody ever claimed AFX was anything near avant-garde.

Every musician ever.

Anyone who uses the word IDM is completely fucking retarded and should be shot on sight.

But anyone who uses the term IDM should have their ''opinion'' discarded because they clearly do not know what they're talking about. You're trying to form an argument around something that is not even worth discussing.

What are you suggesting as an alternative, then? All genre names are basically stupid. They just provide a convenient handle to refer to the music, so that someone quickly understands more or less what you're talking about.

>All genre names
You clearly do not know what you're talking about. IDM was never a genre name. IDM was a name made up to group music from Warp Records just like the name Krautrock was made to group all german rock groups from the 70's. The reason it doesn't fit as a genre is because the music has nothing to do with eachother. AFX is completely different from LFO and Autechre is completely different from Boards of Canada.

Okay, basically your position is fucking stupid and nonsensical and you fail to make an actual argument.

Even genres that lump together a bunch of disparate things that are essentially defined by negation are useful to the extent that they point you in the right direction. Krautrock isn't just "all german rock groups from the 70s". There's an arty or experimental aspect to it too. Blues rock is automatically excluded. And it's still useful in the sense that someone who likes Cluster will probably also be interested in Can, even though they don't sound anything alike and probably weren't even aware of each other at the time. Being more specific than that isn't really of any use when every artist is doing their own thing. Splitting it into 20 different hazily-defined microgenres isn't going to help.

Again, what are you suggesting as an alternative to IDM? I don't really see anything better.

> what are you suggesting as an alternative to IDM?
It completely depends on the album and artist. AFX has some ambient albums, some acid albums and some breakcore albums. Making up a name to just throw all dj's who do something different in is stupid and annoying. Especially since a lot of artists have said that they don't want to be called IDM because they're not doing anything intelligent.
>basically your position is fucking stupid and nonsensical
How? You don't explain this in your post.
>and you fail to make an actual argument.
I quite clearly made an argument in when I said this:
>IDM was never a genre name. IDM was a name made up to group music from Warp Records just like the name Krautrock was made to group all german rock groups from the 70's. The reason it doesn't fit as a genre is because the music has nothing to do with eachother. AFX is completely different from LFO and Autechre is completely different from Boards of Canada.

why do people get so triggered on Sup Forums all the time?

Yeah ok go listen to Missteps III and get back to me.

Swans
Death Grips
My Bloody Valentine
Radiohead

I'm the one you originally replied to and I'm not really interested in going that much in-depth, given that I'm not even a fan of IDM or similar genres.

>It completely depends on the album and artist. AFX has some ambient albums, some acid albums and some breakcore albums.
Being that specific isn't useful. No one really colors inside the lines anyway, so are you really going to organize things into genres on a track by track basis? Fuck that. It's well understood by everyone that IDM is primarily the arty and less accessible side of electronic music that tends to prioritize listening over dancing. And as such it's useful as a genre, even if it isn't specific. RIO or outsider music or contemporary music or whatever aren't specific either, but they still effectively convey the general idea.

>Especially since a lot of artists have said that they don't want to be called IDM because they're not doing anything intelligent.
No artist ever likes how they're described. They don't get any say in it, and it's not for their benefit.

Genre names are useful because they provide a convenient way to lump things together into broad categories. An exact taxonomic description doesn't really serve the same purpose. And there are already way too many meaningless microgenres in electronic music anyway. More specific isn't better.

>It's well understood by everyone that IDM is primarily the arty and less accessible side of electronic music that tends to prioritize listening over dancing.
But most of AFX's stuff is specifically made for dancing. You're contradicting yourself.
>More specific isn't better.
I'd disagree. If you look for an ''IDM'' album you get different albums who don't sound the same making looking for music which sounds like a specific album or artist only harder which makes looking for new music harder.

I wish more people cared about the Chameleons and the Sound.