You know what annoys me? Because of this film, people think that D-Day was one of the most brutal battles in history

You know what annoys me? Because of this film, people think that D-Day was one of the most brutal battles in history.

In reality it was just Omaha beach where a notable amount of casualties were sustained. The British landings, for example, went smoothly without much German resistance faced.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=51lo2dpaZ_g
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

That's because we knew what we were doing. The Germans feared candians more they did you.

There were multiple bloodbath battles in WWII. You're using a popular movie claim some dumb bullshit.

>The Germans feared candians more they did you.

shut up syrupnigger

Yes, but the way people make out like D-Day was as bad as Stalingrad or the Somme is just wrong.

>It annoys me that people don't know things about a battle in WWII
seriously?

Give me 1 example that isn't anecdotal.

The Longest Day is waaay better if you want accuracy.

and what has that got to do with the movie?

>we knew what we were doing.
>that's why we all died.

>How dare you portray the bloodiest scenes in a famous battle and then fail to mention the other 6 beaches weren't as bloody. Still bloody, but not AS bloody

It's like you had a lecture from a history teacher once and latched on to this point hard for some reason

>implying I'm a canuck
Topkek, sharty

Because it's the scene that made this generation aware of D-Day. Why do you think games like Call of Duty and Medal of Honor had customary Omaha beach maps afterwards?

well then you're doing gods work then user, educating us plebs who can only learn history from video games

>its a "stupid faggot kid hates SPR simply because he hates america" thread

>trusting a new-worlder to be good at war

Stalingrad >>>>>> D-Day
in regards to both brutality and importance

the war was basically over before D-Day even occurred

im not even murrican and SPR id my favorite war movie right after the thin red line and tuntematon sotilas

The beach scene is amazing in how horrific it is

Way to miss OP's point, retards.

>The beach scene is amazing in how horrific it is

yeah, I never really got the argument that its "hurr propaganda!"

its pretty honest in showing how fucking brutal it was. Showing how a bunch of soldiers died before they even got off the landing crafts, killing surrendering soldiers, ect.

worst part is when they use the flamethrower on that pillbox and the guy says "DONT SHOOT! LET 'EM BURN!" I cant think of a gorier war movie

Battle of Kursk was the main battle of WW2 and yet there aren't any movies about it.

>Way to miss OP's point, retards.

his point is hes butthurt about americans making movies about americans. What do you faggots expect? The characters to just name drop all the other key battles?

fuck off sovietboos

Seriously, how?

You ever see Deadliest Catch? These guys were doing D-Day in that shit.

Plus, multiple landings and heavy fog meant that, even though the nips had just evac'd, there was major friendly fire when two groups ran into one another.

>people think that D-Day was one of the most brutal battles in history.
You mean americans, right?

>The Germans feared candians more they did you.

lmao post more

>movie shows that a battle was brutal
>get asspained because the movie doesn't make not that it's not the most brutal battle ever

You faggots will get angry about anything.

No, his point is that people think D-Day was a complete massacre because of Saving Private Ryan.

Why are you such an illiterate retard?

Since when does a criticism of an opinion mean we missed the point of an opinion?

>le USA couldn't beat a bunch of rice farmers meme

The United States didn't lose because of the Vietnamese, the United States lost because of the United States.

Kursk and Stalingrad were the two most important battles in the European Theatre.

Midway and Guadalcanal were the two most important battles in the Pacific Theatre.

A ship hit a seamine that the japs left, which caused most of the casualties.

The rest are deaths due to the elements and some friendly fire.

We lost because we made the smart call of not baiting the Chinese into Yalu Crossing II: Nuclear Boogaloo.

However we won because Communism didn't spread unchecked throughout all of SEA.

>the war was basically over before D-Day even occurred
My grandfather would beg to differ. The liver shot he took in Belgium in December 1944 seemed rather warlike.

>American Revolution

> War of 1812

> Saving your asses in WW2

>hollywood
>Sup Forums
>caring about accuracy

D-Day was a complete fucking massacre, at Omaha Beach. The US took one for the team that day.

Well if you actually want bloody battles you need some eastern front kino

They intentionally gave British easier beaches because their soldiers were more experienced (as they had been in the war for a while), whereas the US soldiers were mostly greens and more expendable, since all they needed was manpower to push through the more heavily fortified beaches.

>at war for a while
You mean hiding at home?

And you seriously believe this. Eisenhower knew that Montgomery would turn around and run like a scared little bitch if he had been responsible for Omaha. It was a matter of Eisenhower trusting his own commanders more than he trusted Monty.

This is what an average cod fan believes.

Huh?

Sucks about your grandpa, man.

is pointing out the usual bias of two things being equal on first impression. "Oh there was a Western Front and an Eastern Front. Heck it was just the Soviets in the East, while the US *and* the UK fought in the West so if anything more fellas died in Bastognes than in Stalingrads".

But you then have to consider the US was in the war for 24 days in 1941. The Russians had lost everything up to Moscow and Leningrad at that point.

We got our feet wet in North Africa at the very end of 1942. By then Soviets were grinding the German war machine to a halt at Stalingrad with bodies and lend lease trucks.

We continued our nibbling around the edges with Sicily, then Italy, and by the time 1943 ended, the Soviets had finally started turning back the tide.

All of 44 was the Soviet Union reversing Barbarossa and the US/UK finally, finally taking meaningful territory.

Final tally?

US: 400,000 dead
UK: 400,000 dead

Germany: 8,000,000 dead

USSR: 25,000,000 dead

That's 1 'Murican, 1 Brit, 20 Nazis, and about 60 Russkies.

It's called the North Africa campaign.

This is a film you fucking jew

youtube.com/watch?v=51lo2dpaZ_g

Iwo Jima was far more brutal for both sides than D-Day. I think it was the only battle where the Americans took more casualties than the Japanese because they built underground bunkers where the bombs and artillary couldn't reach them, so even after weeks of destruction, the defenders still had a fight left in them.

I don't even speak Japanese but that speech where he talks about fighting to the death because every minute they hold off the Americans is a minute their families don't get bombed brought a tear to my eye.

>25 million soviet deaths
You're also counting civillians deaths for the soviets, aren't you?

When campaigns get brutal, civilian casualties start mounting quickly. In the end, whether it's your grandmother or your grandfather that ate a bullet, they're still dead.

The split for the Soviets is about 10m/15m military/civilian.

People don't believe that.

having more dead doesnt necessarily mean they did more. The eastern front was very important to turning the tide of the war, but Russia's battle tactic of just piling up bodies to fend the attacking germans off doesnt necessarily mean they fought harder

because "we" won the war, everybody only thinks Germany commited war crimes and that all Allied troops were good holesome soldiers, who acted with honour and bravery.

Sure as shit ain't the same story when It Ain't Me starts playin

The winners will always write history