/daily/ - Mingus Dingus edition

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

>make charts
neverendingchartrendering.org/

>listen to tunes
plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel

>listenalong schedules, OP pics, etc.
daily-mu.blogspot.com/p/welcome.html

Previously on /daily/:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BaMHLzhtV8k
nuxn.com/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/jim_orourke/kunstradio_1_10_1998/
rateyourmusic.com/release/unauth/fantomas-and-john-zorn-jim-orourke/the-films-of-kenneth-anger/
youtube.com/watch?v=VMDh3IcMESo
youtube.com/watch?v=Cw8YvmpxjZc
youtube.com/watch?v=SJxd_Lu8VPA
youtube.com/watch?v=DubhuBJiIPM
youtube.com/watch?v=mOSw2MF8uao
mega.nz/#F!8howQJaa!6fVgbxGKnsH16fcLlNFUSQ
gonzairecords.com/album/pole
mellowrecords.bandcamp.com/album/philippe-grancher-3000-miles-away
www109.zippyshare.com/v/NfqKSvKG/file.html
youtube.com/watch?v=pd_K8IlRDCY
youtube.com/watch?v=WDsyzMy4ZXc
youtube.com/watch?v=k203EXAAHd8
andoptions.bandcamp.com/album/the-bed-you-live-in
youtube.com/watch?v=zb8P5wWnOCo
youtube.com/watch?v=1EFHc1VgBZ8
youtube.com/watch?v=az5bBFWAI8I
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

for da boyz

Minkus

no

>Breadhead vs Comet
I liked Red a good deal. While more harrowing, considerably more cynical, and I felt, in some cases, underlying sinister, than ITCOKC, I still found it to be a fascinating piece of prog rock. Definitely an adventurous record, and I can see why it is considered a highlight for the band's discography.

Damn. Phil Spector sure knows how to produce some solid pop tunes. I love Be My Baby by The Ronettes, probably is still one of my favorite songs, both the original version and the John Galm cover. I love how you love me is stellar as well. The Ronettes, Paris Sisters were only that definitely stood. The production is catchy, beautiful and lavish, some I expected. Phil really had it down to a formula for sure. My fear though with this record was that considering its 3 and half hour length, that same formula might keep completely draining, boring. And sadly, that did happen starting on the third disc. Which sucked. Hard. There will still some highlights on the third disc, but still very samey samey. And then it just felt like some of the mixing was smudgy so it was kinda sad to me. The Christmas CD wasn't that great either. Admittedly felt phoned in. And I wanted to really love this record. Maybe a relisten will make me even more fond of it, but as of now, in full, it's just draining.

TL;DR: Also, a very difficult match here. In fact, after listening to the Phil Spector, I had relisten to Red to reclarify the winner. And it was. Good job Breadhead, you may advance.

Also, 1 spot left for Tourney #2

for noveltycondom

youtube.com/watch?v=BaMHLzhtV8k

Piper at the gates of dawn

i meant to listen to/dl
its not on slsk

i got it from slsk. can make a mega if you want.

whatre your favs youve heard so far?

DAMN. and new Jlin.

This is where it's at: nuxn.com/

that'd be cool, thanks
btw are you still looking for rateyourmusic.com/release/album/jim_orourke/kunstradio_1_10_1998/
and rateyourmusic.com/release/unauth/fantomas-and-john-zorn-jim-orourke/the-films-of-kenneth-anger/
?

yess

Hey /daily/ what is your opinion on pic related?

motherfucker you already posted this ;_;

still have a lot to catch up on but 2017 has been very good imo

that Felicita mix is so crazy and good, thanks for pointing it out a while back

youtube.com/watch?v=VMDh3IcMESo
youtube.com/watch?v=Cw8YvmpxjZc
youtube.com/watch?v=SJxd_Lu8VPA
youtube.com/watch?v=DubhuBJiIPM
youtube.com/watch?v=mOSw2MF8uao
mostly these

very big fan so far

===borzoi vs Comet===

>Cocteau Twins - Blue Bell Knoll
>Dream Pop

I never liked this group, after getting through only half of Victorialand. I feel like I'm listening to the instrument recordings that come on an electric Roland piano, and Elizabeth Fraser's voice isn't enough to save this.

I mean I know it's 1988 but geez i aint feelin the dreamy of this pop

This makes Julee Cruise actually sound enticing

5/10

>Jason Webley - Counterpoint
>Singer/Songwriter, Folk

A very nice variety of bleak/heartfelt songwriting. This isn't no Leonard Cohen album-- Webley's voice reaches to the depths of a Heavy Metal throughout, but it works very well in the squalid town the song takes place. Backed by 15 different instrumental players, this album stays fresh during the entire runtime.

"this was my concept record... Twelve songs in twelve keys, with recurring themes and each song written with a balancing counterpart."

Yup, save this album for a listenalong.

7/10

===theSound vs Ethy===

>Time Machines - S/T
>Drone

This is the first album to give me headaches while listening to it

I'm sure it's placebo but this album is actually pain

I get the idea of "temporal slips" when it comes to drone music, but I experience that a LOT with other drone-ish albums. So it really just gets a Meh and a half.

5/10

>Cluster - Cluster II
>Krautrock/Space Ambient

Hypnotic and active at the same time. Later in the album, I'm reminded of Boris - Flood. The 3rd track and B-Side is a lot stronger in combining the contrasting acoustic and digital moods, and it makes up for the awkward opening.

7/10

welcome
>it's all coming out, i'm allergic!

Taku Unami - Ichimannen, Go...: Soundtrack
>Onkyo, Musique concrète, Noise, Modern Classical, Choral, Chamber Music, Glitch
>Not really a soundtrack, but uses source material from the listed movie
>Really really good
mega.nz/#F!8howQJaa!6fVgbxGKnsH16fcLlNFUSQ

===jimmy jazz vs post-feelist===

>Graham Lambkin - Amateur Doubles
>Field Recording, Musique Concrete

The album recorded solely in a car. I've had this on my backlog for a while.

It's important to note that Lambkin didn't create the 70's progressive electronic pieces heard throughout this album himself.

This is a combination of a field recording and plunderphonics. You can actually hear the full albums for the first and second tracks here:

gonzairecords.com/album/pole

mellowrecords.bandcamp.com/album/philippe-grancher-3000-miles-away

Recorded in low-fidelity, the cheesiness (and shittiness) of these prog rock albums are obscured by throbbing ambient hums, the voice of Lambkin's son, and soft crackles. It would be nice to imagine that he was arranging the samples himself-- but I think he just threw a CD in and let them play, and recorded that. It does seem like a cheap way to make the album feel personal, experiment and all. Lambkin does have some interesting ideas about listening to music itself, and I'm sure there may be something greater within his body of work.

6/10

>Richard Dawson - Nothing Important
>Avant-Folk

I honestly didn't enjoy the first track or the closer. The real meat is the title track and The Vile Stuff. Narratively interesting with some real good lines, and a howling finish for both songs.

Like it or not, Dawson's lyricism has the same cryptic messages that Bon Iver likes to use. Dawson, however, cultivates his tracks in tragedy and refuses to simply approach them head-on; Bon Iver likes to embrace lavish, accessible melodies.

Dawson also really likes to delay the climaxes of verses, and fuck does it work.

7/10

Sorry buddy :( had to do it for

===blapp vs lamb===

>Basic Channel - BCD-2
>Minimal/Dub Techno

Second compilation of the infamous duo, Basic Channel.

Already, Enforcement is 13 minute opus, grinding patterns together like no one's business. The shift in the synth's crunchiness in the first track alone, from grimy to choppy, makes for a satisfying intro. Other tracks makes use of contesting beats-- the hi hats and bass competing with off-kilter synth echoes. The noises that come out from these loops never feel misplaced, either. They supplement the illusion that the track is progressing much faster than it actually is.

It's all still minimal, indeed-- but there's the perfect amount of sound here to keep the whole mix from floating off. I'm more than happy to accept that this and BCD-1 were the fathers of their genre.

8/10

>Scott Johnson - John Somebody
>Post-Minimalism

My favorite part about Different Trains, composed by Steve Reich, is how it composes melodies alongside the natural pitches of the voice. This album does that too, but isn't nearly as minimal with its samples and instruments. There's all kinds of symphonic woodwinds and percussion, guitar and bass, playing over, around stuttering, laughter, and looping speech. Even then, the vocal samples being used aren't just overlaid like Reich's earliest work. They're laid on strict edges, harmonizing with each other, seemingly singing with the progressive melodies, forming the percussion, or serving as a strange placeholder between tracks.

This album sounds like a They Might Be Giants and Steve Reich collaboration. Having been released in 1986, this may have been the first album to compose music out of speech.

8/10

=====================

lamb, jimmy jazz, EthyBoy, and Comet advance

i forgot about the new seiko album, how is it?

i still need to hear all the month of mayhem + non mayhem 2017 pc stuff im reallyexcited

i had no clue dj yo yo released something new i was a big fan of dormant mirros a couple years back will hear for sure

This shit's good, it's like a lo-fi, outsider-esque Screwtape

it was a really solid batch. the l harle ep was a let down sadly, me4u was the only standout.

yeah it's real good

here
www109.zippyshare.com/v/NfqKSvKG/file.html

thanks again

>This is the first album to give me headaches while listening to it
wtf

thanks so much!

>it's like a lo-fi, outsider-esque Screwtape
So it's a regular Screwtape. I'll check it.

youtube.com/watch?v=pd_K8IlRDCY

Full discog is worth a listen.

Thanks FFHKS, I'll look into it.

you are in for a treat

True, but even moreso

cant really compare it to other things she did but i liked it a lot, super varied and fun

i get it, u good

AND IF A FUCK NIGGA EVER JUMP STUPID IMMA CATCH A BODY LIKE A TRAMPOLINE

no 9/10s yet, but i'll go digging after I finish tourney

>1 folk album
>the rest bloop/bleep
lmao kms

eggcelent taste

ngl, i was peeved when melon reviewed sinjin hawke AFTER I listened to it because I didn't want people to meme it. Then again, only 3% of the people that watch him would actually seek it out

i love this video game

it's funny because it's not technically a noise album, but it gets really overwhelming

It's probably because I'm not listening to it on speakers, honestly. Even then, I'd rather listen to some other drone albums

I feel like I've heard this somewhere before and not in a good way

nice! glad you liked the Jason Webley

Stringtronics - Mindbender
youtube.com/watch?v=WDsyzMy4ZXc

:)
I'm going to keep it goin because I extremely like this shit:
Harmonia - Musik von Harmonia

oops meant to reply to

with the eggcelent taste

>more krautrock
meem

folk album
>>the rest bloop/bleep
actually same though

it's a really solid album.
new fuuka asmr is really solid, ditto with nico niquo.
how's that zimmerman? tried out headhunters a few days ago and was meh on it.
also i have a new record up on &o, wink wink.

Eh but it only means German music here

>American Primitivism is secondary on Eureka

>oops meant to reply to
>with the eggcelent taste

OUCH

I gave it a good ol' vote down for ya

thanks bud

That's the way it should be :^)

I'm not a trustworthy source on Zimemrman since I've only heard Baltika Years before trying Psymulcaster. It's a lot less experimental and focuses on quaint, bite-sized tracks, kinda like a bag of m&ms.

And Link me to your shit my dude

I guess we're both too busy going through backlog and tourney

From what I've heard so far, German music always feels stiff to me no matter what genre it actually is

>listen to prince of denmark 8 last week
>see thesound posts about it

>getting into pic related this week
>now this post

strange coincidence, but yeh this is also worth checking out

youtube.com/watch?v=k203EXAAHd8

i've only heard headhunters and baltika.
andoptions.bandcamp.com/album/the-bed-you-live-in

More revolutionary than you may think given the context though. I just like the five or so major distinct characters that defined the movement though and how they interact (Schulze, Dinger, Czukay, etc.). Like Harmonia is members of Cluster and Neu! and sounds like a crazy missing link between the two to me.

Good news for darklands, yamir, caviarr and letov

Woo Exuma's good
Also removed unnecessary green lines

youtube.com/watch?v=zb8P5wWnOCo

Woah

Happy father's day /daddy/! And happy father's day to GivingBear wherever he may be.

Loving every episode so far.

Neat stuff, how's the Eric Copeland?

shidd that backfired, you randomly dislike things I really expect you to like sometimes

glad someone other than gfr likes the fuuka asmr album shits crazy

pretty sweet cover art for most of these, honestly want to check a few out on that alone

what did you think of 8? I wouldn't think you'd be into it

>4.5+ on Ys
yeah boy

yeah man thanks for getting Ys in front of me, also it's my wife's favorite thing she's heard all year

>how's the Eric Copeland
Playful and groovy, and sometimes very subtle in its execution. It's also varied just enough to justify its near-one hour runtime.

>pretty sweet cover art for most of these, honestly want to check a few out on that alone

im beginning to think that i rate albums 60% by cover art

and honestly, just listen to Sinjin Hawke first. I'm not sure if the female voice he uses throughout the album is artificial, or a really nice manipulated sample. The brass and shorter tracks kinda remind me of Hudson Mohawke actually

youtube.com/watch?v=1EFHc1VgBZ8

Just another day at the office (anyone else watch the Chase here? Favourite chaser?).

>Com Truise - Galactic Melt. Listened to it for the album cover, holy heck is this good. All sorts of glitch-influenced synths and melodic time structures.
>Klaus Mittfoch. First time listening to Polish music, felt like a slice myself ;) anyhow the album was brilliant and the vocals had a ton of personality to them, I don't know what a kurdupelka is nor do I care but hell if I've seen energy like that before on an album.
>Kyuss - Wretch. Like this far more than Welcome to Sky Valley, at least as far as my first two listens go. The sweeping hooks on Son of a Bitch, Black Widow and Isolation penetrate far more than there other material and the pulsing bass helps to accentuate that.
>Kyuss - Blues For The Red Sun. Probably the weakest of the three so far, 50 Million Year Trip (Downside Up) was pretty good though the album as a whole leaved more to be desired, that being said it certainly seemed the "heavier" of the three.
>Siekiera - Nowa Alexandria. Couldn't understand a word of it though for coldwave it seemed to get pretty hot with some soaring guitar riffs and rattling high-hats pitted throughout.
>Wire - Pink Flag. As I expected it seems a little outdated though I enjoyed it nonetheless, not. Surgeon's Girl and Pink Flag provided a nice two-song combo and 12 X U seemed a suitable closer, see how my opinion changes when I've given it the full 20.

How does this chart work? Some competition between reccetears?

Bottom four albums get cut, the rest survive for another round. I added some spots for myself and some RNG spots, which may get cut just like /daily/ boys.

You should use a trip, mate. I'll let you join in. Take over the Talk Talk or Red Krayola spot with something from the attached pic.

No problem, I love getting people into her though a lot of my friends complain about her voice initially.

Sounds cool, I'll check it out. I've always been interested in his work.

Presentation isn't everything, but it's a factor. At the very least it convinces me to listen to albums.

>reccetears

>complain about her voice
yeah i snickered at first but i like ugly voices

hey wanna pre-claim your rec for round two, assuming you keep the Highest Score spot? check out and you can get dibs, again assuming no one else bests ya

RIP natkingcole
gone too soon :(

Okay user, try Comus - First Utterance. How many times are you listening to each album by the way and how long have you been on here? Out of curiosity?

Dude... :/

thanks for reminding me to relisten to dormant mirrors. im gonna have to check out this new one soon
damn..

I listen to each album 20 times, and I've been on Anne off daily for a year

Nah, one-three times depending on what's needed

I'll claim Talk Talk - Laughing Stock

I just orgasmed hearing this track the first time:
youtube.com/watch?v=az5bBFWAI8I

i will think of sth later

Yeah
Wanna boot Talk Talk or red krayola?

Sure, I'll boot Talk Talk if that's okay.

lol

haha nice meme where did you find this :)

yuck bad meme where did you find this :(

worst post in a while

yo guys can I hang around? I'm not new here I mean I remember when these threads started but never got into them, now I have a lot of free time and idk seems comfy, thinking in making a chart thing for my backlog

sure
hi :}

post that chart and get on board, pal.

Heeeyyyy that ain't a pig! :/

Yeah let's see what you got
Get a trip
Molester emoticon

trip up

:Y

dont get a trip
hi :)

Don't listen to , get a trip. You can use mine. It's #Cza4%n;X.

your taste is so shit your biggest feat in a tourney was through a team (that carried you the whole time)
PS u don't snap me as much as u used to :(

Finally got around to playing this. The music is great actually despite how simple and short the loops are.

wait what the fuck that's actually real and that's fucking nat

Yeah, it's good stuff. I'd recommend checking out pic related, it has some cool remixes.

wew, thanks lads,
anyway here's some things I have waiting for a listen
and idk I was thinking more in just a name? like dubs gets to decide or something? if not then I guess I'll just trip

Hey do you like AnCo?

the sundays r good
welcome to daily friend :)

you have an rym?

and if dubs, your name is pilcrow

Three 6 is good. Idk about the rest on there.

hapshash is really cool
dont know or care about the rest but if some of it's anything like that lemme know

u as in utah is another real nice one on there