Why was early Family Guy so great, yet the first couple seasons of American Dad fucking unbearable?

Why was early Family Guy so great, yet the first couple seasons of American Dad fucking unbearable?

Pilot Steve is probably the most insufferable cunt in television history.

american dad was surprisingly tryhard with the whole 'look they are conservative through and through' shit

they definitely didn't find their footing for a while, but it's still steadily entertaining now that they have.
some characters have two or three 'personalities' they pick for each episode, and that can be jarring, but it adds variety and it's meant to be watched on episode at a time, not one after another in a string

family guy has always been stupid, it's just that stupid can be funny for a while before it gets boring

American Dad is better than lol so randumb mister conway twitty xD Guy.

lol so randumb steve sings with abs xD Dad

look at how easy it is to do that but from the opposite side of the fence

if you don't have anything of substance to post, don't.

american dad's characters are what makes it great. Family guy's are pretty shit in comparison.

>tfw there will never be a roger spin-off

Maybe now in the last 3-4 seasons

early family guy is bland boring garbage.

family guy today is edgy boring garbage.

it was never good.

lol chicken fight scene again so randumb xDD

I like American Dad because of Patrick Stewart acting like an idiot, and I like Family Guy because of that idiotic mayor guy. I just love when you have these people that are clearly supposed to be smart and above all else but they're just idiotic and not only is it hilarious - it actually reflects real life in a way.

Another example is the boss character from The IT Crowd, I just find these characters the most hilarious.

Family Guy pioneered the non-sequitur

>early Family Guy so great
the seasons where they had those too-long song and dance segments were shit, and were the source of the family guy is shit meme. AD on the other hand keeps getting better and better. MacFarlane got his shit together after he narrowly escaped boarding one of the 9-11 planes

>Why was early Family Guy so great
Fuck off memer.

>early family guy
>great

I want this meme to die. It was an unfunny ripoff with horrible animation and no style.

Early Family guy wasn't that good, it was mediocre. Better than what we have now, but still not that good.

The 80s references still felt forced and corny often, and characters like Meg and Chris were unfunny wastes of space

American dad is pretty good, i dislike family guy.

I think American dad is better because they focus on the characters and plot (which "good" family guy episodes tend to do) and not on random 80's references or cutaway gags.

The show does a better job of playing with the fourth wall than family guy too imo. The episode where its shot like a melodramatic teen indie movie springs to mind.

Actually the animation in seasons 2-3 was way better and smoother. Now it's stiff and hideous as fuck

The animation was smoother but the art sucked shit.

Is TBS American Dad any good? The only couple episodes I watched kinda sucked

I pioneered fucking your mum

Bullock is great, but Adam is just meh

They made Bullock a fucking retard though. Adams was always stupid.

Watch a few episodes of season one for context and bear with them bearing shit and then watch Season's 4-7 for the good shit.

The first 6 or so are kinda rough, but it found its voice again, especially in this last batch.

What do I have to watch to understand the refences in family guy

I meant the TBS reboot

I love American Dad, I think it is great from the start. But it drops the ball when it gets renewed.

Family Guy was never good.

American Dad >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Family Guy

That being said, early American Dad episodes are consistent with late/current American Dad episodes.

What I hate about the Steve character is he always gets so close to getting laid but then something always fucks it up.

Steve is still my favorite character. His boy band segments are great

>Family Guy

Incorrect

>American Dad >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Family Guy

You're a fool

You now realize that they have the head of the CIA as a British guy

>family guy
>good

Watch Star Wars and that's like half of them right there

Our founding fathers were all British

I like to imagne Family Goy is set in a city where lead has seeped into the water pipes

I miss Conway Twitty

Well the obvious thing that made family guy decent initially was that it's had a logical plot and the characters were consistent and based in reality (except stewie, but that's why he worked).

It was never Simpson tier funny, but it had an Ok foundation which was a basis for jokes to spring off.

Once the plots became completely in logical and the characters and no consistency, just all painful retards, the show lost the only thing working for it, and absurd jokes don't work if there's no foundation (which works as a set up).

The problem is they begun to focus on shit like music number, jokes that go too long were, running jokes and absurdity maliciousness rather than the witty humour it did have at times initially, because it's easier.

It's amazing to compare family guy and god tier animation like Simpsons and South park in terms of repeat viewing. Rewatching family guy is unfunny torture as the jokes only work once, if that.

I'd be surprised if they even bother with syndication.