Do you believe in God? Doesn't have to be a god from any of the popular religions. Why or why not?

Do you believe in God? Doesn't have to be a god from any of the popular religions. Why or why not?

When we die is that it? what's the purpose of your life? What do you think happened before the big bang?

>there's only one god; the white, christian god
>everything else is just memes

Christian myself. Probably we were made to make the good lord learn more from himself on free thought and the effects ones life has on their very being or something along the lines of that, or he was bored, either or I am fine with.

The world is too awful for there to be a god.

Maybe god doesn't stop human evil acts because free will is important, but a decent god wouldn't give children painful illnesses.

what if the the way we see good and bad isnt the same an all powerful creator sees it. What if God created the universe and just left it. I never understand the argument that the world is awful. I imagine if i created bunch of characters in a book or a simulation, would i really care that much about them? Why do we look at God like he's supposed to be our parent or something?

We got small pox out of the way, whats to say humanity cant do more? It sucks, but he sent us to help. I do my part when possible. Every little bit helps.

full timing it with the lord

Tbh I do believe in God because if theres no higher power life just doesnt make sense to me. What's the point of progressing humanity when we know for a fact we will go extinct and there will be no trace left of us in perhaps under a million years? If there is no afterlife or God, literally nothing matters in life. might as well kill yourself now because in a few hundred years no one is going to remember you anyway

I dont think any of the organized religions are true. I don't know if life was sparked into existence by an intelligence or not. But I believe, even if it was, the being(s) are not necessarily omnipotent and omniscient. I see no evidence they communicate with us in any way, nor watch over and protect/punish us for our behavior, or do anything to sway events.

I think death is the complete cessation of consciousness. The end of you and I. No afterlife with your dead relatives and pets. No continuation of your consciousness with full memories intact. Just complete nonexistence of your consciousness.

Does an ape ponder what its purpose of life is? We're simply a more evolved animal. Why does there *have* to be a purpose, a meaning? Because we became so intelligent... because we have an understanding about our inevitable deaths that the animals don't, naturally makes us try to find a purpose for it all. Because "we're too important to just mean nothing." But that's the price for the level of knowledge and awareness we've evolved into. The painful lesson that there was no point to it.

No, I see no reason to believe in any kind of god.

When we die we stop existing. Our brain stops, and we cease to be in everything but other's memories. There is no purpose to life except to enjoy it as best you can while you can. Before the Big Bang? Fucked if I know and it doesn't really matter to me.

the being can be omnipotent and omniscient but prob not omnibenevolent.

i see evey second of our lives as a frame in space using time as a vector with an infinitie amount of possibilities/universes and God is the overseer of it all. but the question i have if there is a higher power, what made Him decide to create the universe?

So you only want to live if you can leave a legacy? If no one will know who you were a few hundred years from now why "not just kill yourself"?

For the same reason you don't see an epidemic of atheists killing themselves. So no one will remember you. Don't make that the ultimate goal of your life. You get to walk around for a few decades and do things and feel emotions. Eating delicious foods, having sex, falling in love, getting intoxicated. They feel good. Doesn't it feel good to simply have good experiences? You're going to die either way. Why QQ that "it's pointless so I'll end it now" when you could walk on a beautiful summer day just feeling good about the feeling of the warmth on your skin and the vibrant greens around you and the cool looking clouds of the sky. There is no meaning to life, and it's a short ride anyway. Just try to enjoy it as much as possible.

Theres an infinite cycle aftherlife. Our particles will travel for everywhere and eventually find therselves and construct us again in an infinite universe context and we will live the exact same life and every other form of life infinitely. You are living an continous repetitive cycle since forever and you will on and on for eternity.

My folks are muslim, but I'm not religious. I've always had trouble believing in one all powerful creator.

As for death, I don't know, and frankly wouldn't like to know just yet. the universe pre-big bang is also unknown to me...

It seems too farfetched to me that everything we see or do was an accident. Us, carbon based LIFE forms that have the ability to constantly learn and grow to absorb energy and use it in reparing biogical matter without ever thinking about it, because we are made up of billions of small units that originated from the combination of 2 cells. Even beyond life, how is it that because something is really heavy it attracts other things? Or an omnipresent difference in molecules and waves affect what we call light. All this had to have been planned out.

Therefore there is no god. God in this context is the universe and we are the matter of that eternity like particles randomly encounter thereselves over and over again in an infinite time lapse.

Those are fair points.

I guess there could be a much more distant god than we talk about in Abrahamic faiths.

I can't rule that out.

But if he's out there, I don't have to do anything about it, you know what I mean?

We need a new philosophy and debate board to discuss stuff like this on. Spreading around ideas fir the sake kf spreading ideas.

>muh intelligence

ITT: bunch of le plebbit atheist xD

Thats sounds fluffy and placates the horror of non-existence, but I just dont believe in that. A similar theory is that if the universe is truly infinite and all possible arrangement of atoms inevitable exist, then they inevitable repeat, and hence there's another duplicate earth out there somewhere with a duplicates you, that exists right now, before your death.

But I consider both of these too absurd. It's like the argument of "energy cannot be created or destroyed" and that's true, but what happens when you unplug your computer with an unsaved document open. The energies that formed that document surely didn't get destroyed. But that document's integrity is forever lost. Just like our identities are forever lost on death.

Say you're correct even... we have no memory of these cycles, so just because of that, in a very real way, death means the end of you. What we want most is to get to continue on as "us". Our identity and ego intact, remembering who we are and what our life was all about, who were the people we loved, what makes us "us". I see no outcome where all that information persists.

>When we die is that it?
Yep. Pretty much. I'd imagine it would be exactly the same for you as before you were born. Pure nothingness.

>what's the purpose of your life?
Whatever the hell you choose to do with it. Sure beats sucking off a sadistic sky wizard for all eternity, that's for sure.

>What do you think happened before the big bang?
*sigh*
This shit again. As far as we are concerned, there was no "before" the big bang and we really don't know even if there was. The big bang was an expansion of spacetime, meaning time itself as we understand it started at the big bang. Regardless, the fact that we don't really know what caused the big bang is no excuse to cram in made up fairy tale garbage into the gaps.

I can't wait for summer to be over...

but our universe has a finite amount of particles and atoms as far as we know.

I unironically believe in meme magic.

When people believe in something, they give it power, and with enough power it can affect the physical world. Ebola-chan is real, Kek is real, Odin is real, and God is real, though obviously they have wildly varying powerlevels. Similarly, great men never die because the meme of their existence is perpetuated. They're deified, in a way.

When average people die, they stick around as long as people remember them, though they can't do much because people don't put faith in them as much as they do gods or historical figures.

If humans ceased to exist, all supernatural entities that depend on their belief for sustenance would die as well. That's also what happened to all the Mesopotamian and Aztec gods, because no one believes in them anymore.

A finite amount of particles dancing randomly in an infinite time lapse will find each other over and over again, all possibilities with each decision we make are real in some future like it were in the past repeating eternally. And yes we lose memory and all data in our brains cause that is an accident, a very lucky one of course considering all the time we don't have a conscience.

Atheist here, because I believe in things when there is proof, and there's no proof for any god existing. If we die, all evidence points to "that's it". Life has no meaning expect what you make of it. And, who the hell knows what happened before the big bang. I believe in the scientific method, but I also believe there are limits to what we can ever know, especially when it comes to questions about the creation of reality.

I think you are missing the point of the question. Its asking what do YOU think. Just because you believe in things that there is proof it doesnt mean you can speculate original thoughts/hypotheses for how everything stared, etc. Stop being a retard that hides behind the scientific work of others and learn to have opinions and beliefs of your own