Is Irish

>is Irish
>doesn't speak Irish
Why don't Irish people speak their own language?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/5lJFY3FqGvk
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acadian_French
youtube.com/watch?v=h4n5FPwpfcY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Literally due to the perfidy of Albion

What does irish sound like?

youtu.be/5lJFY3FqGvk

>muh bad irish teachers
ridiculous excuse for a nation, they should just go back to england.

OMG...our folk music is really just Irish music

>at last I truly see

what are the statutes of kilkenny

Just look at Wales, they don't even have independent and they're many more Welsh-speakers.

laziness

>is Belarussian
>doesn't speak Belarussian

>is Filipino
>lives in the Philippines
>doesn't speak Filipino
disgusting. these bourgeoisies must be gassed.

Quite right, Duterte

They have the privilege of being able to not speak their own language. Canadians, on the other hand, don't even have their own language.

That's kind of how colonial nations work

I'm sorry your country was never into relevance and didn't run the global stage, other serbia

Colonial nations more like cuck nations. Enjoy speaking another peoples' language as your mother tongue.

I'm genetically British though
What language should i be speaking

The Irish are British in self denial

>muh heritage

What? I'm not calling myself British, I'm just saying that me and the majority of my country is descended from British settlers, no shit we speak English? Muh heritage memeing only really works for Americans

>genetically British

this

It's kinda like the American problem.
They dont have to learn another language since they already speak English.

And many dont even speak it at home outside of the Gaeltachtaí in the west, so there's virtually no point if you dont use it frequently.

Fucking die

It's pretty pathetic to be butthurt about being called British but not speaking Irish, though.

Why don't you speak Canadian?

You're using English right now, user. Without using English, you and your nation would be entirely irrelevant on the world stage. If you are going to play that "who cucked who" game, then the English language "cucked" the modern world.

The British are Pakistani in self denial.

Americans learn English while a significant percentage of speak Spanish at home and in their neighbourhoods. By 2050 the majority of America will be Spanish speaking white "Latin Americans".

But my people came over took land from the natives as their own and fucked the locals. That's what colonialism poorer serbia.

Whatever you say, colonials

>tfw I'm Westrobothnian but nobody speaks Westrobothnian anymore and it's not even recognised as a language

An unspoken language?

Weren't you a Soviet client and puppet state...?

You were more or less a Russian colony. :^ )

And literally a puppet

>is canadian
>don't even have their own language
this really tingle the shingle

>colonial education
None of what you wrote ever happened

>don't even have their own language
Hmm..
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acadian_French
youtube.com/watch?v=h4n5FPwpfcY

>became irishboo after finding guinness
>find out irish is a dead language which even the irish aren't trying to being back
>get sad for them

If wales can do it why not them?

Is teanga dheacair í.

Is it common in Ireland to know irish?
Also do many people speak it among themselves?

No real point since every public place and transport and document etc is all in English. If you changed everything to Irish over a few years, everyone would speak it

>is it common to know
Yes. Its obligatory in school.

>do many speak it among themselves?
Some do, especially in the gaeltachtaí (irish areas) out west, but the vast majority still speaks english.

>Why don't Irish people speak their own language?
Because they care about their ancestral language and culture only as long as they don't have to personally do anything difficult.

It's a common problem amongst basically everyone. You hear people in Anglo cunts complain all the time about how they wish they were bilingual, but if you asked them what they are actually doing about that, they'll just give shitty excuses like "it's soooo hard" or some pop-science crap about learning as an adult versus a child.

>tl;dr because they're lazy

So its hard to learn?
But even then its their language in this day and age that determines what you are.

The Irish should have done it like the Israelis, make Irish mandatory for everything and educate children only in Irish and it would have worked.
Hebrew was deader than Irish when they made it the official language

Its a celtic language so its quite different from English and Germanic languages.
And to add to that, it's phonology is fucked and is pretty incompatible with the latin writing system imo.

For one, there's no word for "have", instead you use "is".
So instead of saying:
>I have a book
You say something along the lines of
>A book is at me
Indicating your possession of it.

Exactly this. They speak english at home, and english at school and english in public, so where are you supposed to speak Irish?

And I mean that it has fucked phonology and orthography. For example the infamous line:
>'Tiocfaidh ár lá'
Is pronounced something like
>"Chucky a la"

>For one, there's no word for "have", instead you use "is".
How different languages handle those two verbs can vary pretty wildly, but it doesn't really take that long to get accustomed to language peculiarities.

As for writing systems, you just gotta ignore what each letter is 'mapped to' in the languages you already know. The symbols are entirely arbitrary, there's nothing about 'i' or 'e' that means it has to be a vowel.

I was brought up speaking English like most Irish people for reasons ultimately stemming from English presence in Ireland. I learned Irish in school but not to a fluency level because I didn't put enough work into it as I'm lazy. This is basically the case for most people though I do know people who are fluent in Irish and I'm not even from a Gaeltacht area so it is possible to revive the language. Unfortunately they still have to use English as their main language because everyone else does obviously.