Any emts got some interesting stories?

any emts got some interesting stories?

Got dispatched to a high school soccer game once. This kid sprained his ankle pretty bad. He couldn't even walk. Messed me up for weeks. Reevaluated my career choice. Now I'm a chef at Wendy's.

nice

Yeah man, $8.75/hr

any interesting stories at wendys?

Paramedics and emts are the niggers of the medical world.

So many stories. Got a specific trauma or medical event area you wanna hear about? CPR? MVA's? GSW?

mvas

OK. First one comes to mind. Campervan full of Argentinian tourists. Just had meal and headed off down the road. Travelled only a block or two and bam, head first into a truck. Thankfully low speed so no fatalities. But theyre were so many of them and they were fucking screaming the whole time. The only one injured was the driver, his legs were mince. He was cut out, we picked him up I remember his foot just dangling by a sinew. I've seen all sorts of shit but that foot hanging there made me feel sick.

Also similar incident. Kids birthday party. A 9-10 year old boy ran on the road chasing a ball. Hit by a car he survived the impact. His shoes flew off as always. One of his feet was severed but his sock stayed on, poor little bastard was flailing around kicking his legs but his fucking foot kept flopping everywhere. I thought he was gonna kick it right off and go flying and hit us.

any paralyzation

I can handle people outright killed in trauma events but ones that survive, are conscious and alert with severe injuries are always hard. Seeing the look on their face as they try to process that they no longer have a leg or that's their intestines splayed out in front of them is always bizarre

You guys suggest being an emt as a career choice?

I don't know how much they're paid on average but I have a desire to help people.

had an mva one time, (pt suspect ETOH) we got on-scene and saw a tire laying in the road and his obese girlfriend was screaming, covered in blood blocking traffic.

she goes ape-shit on us (i guess it was the lights).

"i'll sue you I'll sue you!!!!"

we start to find her boyfriend who was laying over a ditch approx. 15 ft and she runs in front of us and drags him out by the shoulders and lays him down inside the tire that was in the road

she threatens to sue again, blood now everywhere for no reason. we ate spaghetti after we saw his open head wound. didn't even change uniforms.

Very likely but tbh you don't always know the extent of spinal injuries. You just assume someone has fucked up their back and so always handle them accordingly. Trouble is when you handover at hospital that patient is gone and you very rarely hear what happened to them or if your provisional diagnosis was correct.

need more fat people stories

>be me in third world Mexico Los Angeles
>get a call regarding an injury on a child
>Why didn't they call the police?
>get there with fire department
>Where's the child ?
>they speak nothing but Spanish
>our one female emt petite Latina 7/10 comes and translates and talks
>they take her into a room
>2 minutes go by and EmT female comes out crying
>what the fuck what's wrong?
>little girl approximately 8 years old comes out just standing there with her mother and 8 other kids
>what's wrong??!!!
>female emt says little girls vagina is a gaping hole and it looks like she's contracted chlamydia or some type of yeast infection
>the fuck?!? Call the police!
>detectives show up and interview the mother and child
>turns out the person who molested her was the neighbor next door
>he would hop the fence and sneak into her window
>MFW emt female quit next day
>mfw I have no face

Car head on with a truck at high speed.
It ended my career,
After seeing a family of 4 minced together.
I suffer PTSD

nqqa need proof

before i started, a woman was so big in her singlewide trailer that when it caught on fire, a diesel forklift had to be brought from a business close by to get her out.

she died after that, not from smoke inhalation, but from being fat lol. they had to use extrication saws to cut the trailer open like a tuna can.

hauled her out on the mattress she "lived" on. bed was nonexistant, ain't no wood that strong lol.

we had the small trucks then and we had to transport mutual aid with a box truck.

i got one more right fast. have you ever seen one so fat you're afraid to touch the skin to hook a four-lead up to him?

like, afraid it'll break the skin because those stretch-marks are so tight. bp cuffs won't work and SpO2 barely fit on his finger. sad.

what do you even do with bodies like that

This one isnt dramatic but gives me the feels.
Dispatched to an abdo pain, 22 yof, ? cause. Always shitty jobs because its usually just a chick screaming with period pain. Never anything major but always her friends, family or boyfriends freaking out thinking she's dying.

Anyway we assume endemitriosis and transport her. Think nothing of it other than she was fucking drop dead gorgeous. Cute, redhead, milky white skin and also super polite. A couple of times I thought to myself if I met her in a bar I would definitely hit on her.

About six months later job on screen, think I recognise the address. Its a 1, an abdo pain for a 22yof. Think to myself, shit its gotta be the same chick.
Driving along, further details appear on screen.
'Rx ca bowel, stage 4 with metastasis'. Translation: she's fucking fucked.

Arrived to find her looking like a orc. weighing nothing, no hair, body bruised and discoloured. riddled with aggressive cancer.

Turns out the night I first saw her was the start of the process of her cancer diagnosis. Apparently it was already too far gone at that stage, doctors advised her she probably had 18 months max left.

We transported her to hospital, she went into palliative care and I believe she died a couple weeks later.

we get cussed out royally by the staff because once they get the cots unbuckled it takes a full crew to get them transferred to the e.r. cots.

forget a sheet drag on some because of the weak skin, we either make them try to walk over an inch at a time, or move them one limb at a time.

did u smash tho

>>third world Mexico Los Angeles

Right?

kek

Firefighter here
I feel the same. I dont care about dead people or even kids. But the moment before they die is the worst. When they dont know whats going on. Looking for their face which is gone.

Its like when you wake up from s dream and try to figure out whats going on.

Hi OJ. You will be out of jail in Nevada soon....

That doesn't make any sense with EMTs

Unless the EMTs and paramedics who found Ronald Goldman, and Nicole brown are in this thread.

My brother's an EMT. Not long ago, his partner thought the car was in reverse and crashed into a nursing home. She took out a room and most of the lobby.

>That doesn't make any sense with EMTs
Who said anything about making sense.
OJ made LA third world.

I've also dispatched. Once I took a call from a guy
> hi, I think I need help. I'm at work finishing night shift. my daughter has just called me from home. She said she can't wake mum.
How old is your daughter?
> shes turned six today
OK sir I'll call your home now, helps already on the way
> good, I'm heading there in the car now

Call the address, little girl picks up is sobbing
> hello
Hi we've got help coming and I'll stay on the phone until they get there. Tell me whats happened.
> I woke up and mummy didn't wake me for school. She's still lying in bed and she won't wake up. She looking at me and is a funny colour
OK can you get next to her and check something's for me please?
> uh huh
Is she awake? Talk to her does she answer you?
> mama! maaaaaa! maaaaa wake up please. No shes not answering
OK I want you to check something else. Can you put your hand on her chest and tell me if it is going up and down
> ok

A minute passes.
> no its not moving. She feels real cold and her eyes aren't moving. Does that mean she's no breathing. Has my mummy died?
We've got help coming and they will check her and look after her OK. Can you go and unlock your door please.

Usually at this point we get people to start CPR straight away. I made a call that pt was status 0, I did not want this girl to do pointless CPR on her long dead mother on her birthday. Especially as our guys were just about to arrive.

Crew get there. They worked on her for the benefit of the husband who got there not long after. Called it after 20 minutes.
No idea what killed her but speaking to crew later they think she had been dead for hours. Still wonder about that kid and her father and the worst day of their lives.

>be me
>winter 2016
>sitting in a strip mall parking lot waiting for my partner to come back from the Fred Meyers with some hand warmers and hot food
>get dispatch call saying a female had lacerated her foot very badly, vague details saying her "toes where cut off"
>immediate trauma activation
>partner gets radio call mid checkout line, has to ditch everything to the side
>we both peal out of the parking lot at 15 mph (very hard driving a big fucking box when there's 3 inches of ice on the road)
>it's almost midnight and there isn't any traffic except 1 vehicle infront of us going 5 mph I turn on my sirens and kept horning them, after 5 minutes they pull into the next lane
>arrive to the patients house 15 minutes later
>notice no blood coming from the patients feet, or lack of incoherence
>patient says she stubbed her toe "really badly" and it feels like it's going to "fall off".
>me and my partner where visibly upset that we had to leave some hot chicken to go to a call for a over privileged chick for a stubbed toe.
>toenail was removed but there was no bleeding

We forward this information to our emergency dispatch and they send out a cop to file a report on the negligent use of emergency services.

After playing the nice guy act until the police arrive, my partner tells them that someone better be dying if they have to come here again.

Police cite woman for misuse of 911.

>return back to the strip mall parking lot, notice that Fred Meyers is closed
>see one of the workers waving at us
>we go over to her and she says "I wasn't going to close until you guys got back, I put your food back under the heaters, you guys can come in and eat, I don't want you sitting in your truck"
>we enjoyed a nice pre-Christmas buffet at a Fred Meyer deli
>we received no other calls that night and decided to dick around in a closed Fred Meyers for the next 3 hours.

best Christmas Eve ever.

That is probably the most interesting story I've got

Eat probably

Not an EMT, but some interesting injury stories:

>once i ripped all the skin off the back of my leg because a gym exercycle pedals were made of metal and they were weighted, meaning they keep spinning after you stop pedalling. didn't know this, and the pedal tore through my leg, missing my muscles by millimeters.

>my sister went to this rowing competition thing and some guy, driving a motorboat, collapsed and passed out. He drove over a rowing boat with 8 people in it, all of them got hypothermia, but one kid got his arm cut clean off by a propeller.

>kid in my kindergarten suffocated in the sand pit. buried his head alive.

>snapped my humerus. aftermath was pretty funny. my mum who is a nurse said it wouldn't be too serious, but it was literally snapped in half right through.

>kid at my primary (elementary for amerifags) school bit his tongue off in the playground. he was playing tag, saw someone about 5 meters in front of him. he thought the person was in, put his head on a metal bar and stuck his tongue out. guy who was actually is was right behind him, smashed his fist down on top of his head and completely cut his tongue off, leaving it hanging by a thread. if you go to my school office you can actually see a photo on the TV slideshow with him and his tongue almost completely off

Now, any questions?

Fuckin cancer man

Yep. I remember an 86 yof with sob.
She was wheezing, losing colour. Looked at me and said
"I think I'm dying. I don't want to die. I'm so scared."
Usually I can give the pep talk and get their mind off things. But I looked into this woman's eyes and couldn't think of the words. She looked terrible, was genuinely terrified. I just knew she was about to die, I knew she wouldn't make it to hospital.
She started to cry, said 'I'm cold' and looked right into my eyes and just died while staring at me.
Worked on her but obviously no point.

Went to a SIDS, or cot death. Little 7 month old boy. Long gone, blue, lividity.

The look on each family member still haunts me. Mother screaming, she had absolutely lost it just walking through the house yelling 'NNNNOOOOOOOOOK WHHHHYYYYYYY WHHHHYYYYY DEAR GOD NOT MY BABY!!!!!!'
Dad sitting on the floor in complete shock. Crying, but an animal type of noise. Just long, deep, guttural noise.
And then two other kids, a girl about 4, a 7 year old boy. They're on their own, their parents who are absorbed by thier own grief they have completely ignored their other kids. Just seeing these two little ones trying to assess what's happened. Crying because the know their baby brother has died. Totally petrified by their parents reactions. Scared by all these guys in uniform who have taken over their house. They were just standing there sobbing. Really wanted to hug them but can't because rules.

> kids get off school bus
> hey lets play chicken
> 6 year old boy plays runs in front of bus
> driver doesn't see him
> crunch

We were a block away, got there in about 28 seconds. Arrive to find boys older brother, probably only 9 kneeling over his squashed body. No expression on his face. Scooping up bits of his brains and trying to put them back into his open head wound.

> get blanket put over the body and wait for police to arrive because not much else we can do

Shit this has turned into a real feels thread.

I need a hug now

Bumping in case there's any more stories out there. Come on ambos!

That's got to suck. Not a medical person. But I give kudos to you guys.

Same man. I can't imagine the shit you guys see.

Fuck emt's have got some balls. Seeing that shit as part of your job. Fuck that