Ringo was such a great drummer, he only played for the song!

>ringo was such a great drummer, he only played for the song!

When will this meme die? Ringo was shit and he only played what the actual musicians told him to.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9oQsKRyihEA
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Just finished listening to the whole Beatles discography. You're wrong, sometimes he goes all in.

don't be knocking the voice of thomas the tank engine

Name one song

Strawberry Fields

Like I said, he's just playing what they told him to.

youtube.com/watch?v=9oQsKRyihEA
kys

He was good for the 50's and cuz he was so shit it gave space to the more talented

You don't know what a musician is if you don't think Ringo is one

Musicians make music. Ringo didn't create anything on his own, and you can't call his solo act music

He wrote some excellent music in my opinion and also "a person who plays a musical instrument, especially as a profession, or is musically talented" is the definition for musician

his whole life is basically a shrine to how talentless you can be and still earn a bunch of money and have everybody know your name

>pic related

His greatest achievement is octopus' garden for fucks sake

>Musicians make music
Creative organized rhythm is music.
>Ringo didn't create anything on his own
See: Octopus's Garden, Don't Pass Me By, etc.

haven't you listened to a day in the life. those fills are fantastic
>he only played what the actual musicians told him to
never mind. didn't know this was a meme thread

>he only played for the song!
>When will this meme die?
Confirmed for non musician

ringo's drumming is so good you could recognize most beatles songs just by listening to the drum track.

Your argument is invalid

>being new

isn't that true for almost all drummers and almost all instruments?

Not really

name one it's not true for if you are the sort of person to recognise tracks from the drums

oh, its just ringo damage controlling again

Theoretically, but more often than not it won't happen. Quite interestingly, one example of this is Dave Grohl's drumming in Nirvana, it's also very recognizable.

He was shit when he was trying to be something he wasn't: a standard pop/rock drummer. I Want To Hold Your Hand has some of the worst fills I've ever heard on a commercially released song. He was legit good when the music was such that he could play to his strengths, around Rubber Soul and after. Rain was maybe his best work, along with She Said She Said

If you really want the memester of the group it was clearly George; every solo or lead line that was halfway decent falls into three categories: actually played by Paul, actually played by Eric Clapton, or played at half speed and sped to regular tempo on the album because he couldn't hack it. He was a mediocre guitarist at best that eventually evolved into a great songwriter.

Remember to give credit to Rolling Stone for this ridiculously tepid take

i also like the part you took your trip off to reply to me to make it seem like there is more than 1 person with your retarded opinion

>muh complex drumming

Most house music.

Not true, only a few of their early albums/singles have notable drums and it's even less true for the latter part of their career, with a few notable exceptions. He was competent and that's why he was hired but he wasn't exceptional besides those 2 times he was out of his mind in Rain and A day In The Life. Note that these aren't the only songs he did an above average performance but to say all their songs have something resembling an iconic drum pattern isn't true at all.

listen to tomorrow never knows and she said

Revolver era was his peak of consistently good stuff.

name one example of george ripping off clapton

Notice how in every Beatles song that features a nice beat the drums stand out a lot more in the mix, you can "feel them" better and they sound better recorded, songs like Tomorrow Never Knows and Strawberry Fields still sound great thanks to this.

Ticket to Ride
She Said She Said
Tomorrow Never Knows

its called subtly, you don't have to be as flashy as keith moon to be a good or notable drummer. i completely disagree with your opinion that ringo declined as the beatles progressed, he has a wicked sense of groove and did more with less than any other drummer i've ever heard.

>A Day in the Life
>I Want You (She's So Heavy)
try again

Glad to see more people taking the Ringo pill.

friendly reminder that ringo was already a famous drummer before joining the beatles.
off the top of my head im also quite partial to old brown shoe, yer blues, only a northern song, birthday, oh! darling hello goodbye, you wont see me and good morning good morning.

If you think Ringo is a shit drummer listen to come together. He keeps a good rhythm and those fills sound amazing. You can't deny that he was good

The Animals
Who do you think I am?

famous locally

Shut up fool. He was an excellent drummer, you're just too uneducated to know this. His melodic style was revolutionary.

I bet you think joey jordeson is the best drummer or some shit. Technicality is one of many keys to being a good drummer, it can also be completely irrelevant.

reddit: the post

>Technicality is one of many keys to being a good drummer, it can also be completely irrelevant.
Yeah Meg White is my favorite drummer too :)

Ginger baker, Mitch Mitchell, Kieth Moon

All some of the best drummers in rock music. I bet you couldn't pick their songs from their drum tracks.

>I'm not a drummer but think I know what makes a drummer.

Your ignorance is showing user.

No I mean it was literally played by Clapton (While My Guitar Gently Weeps). Point being the best lead work in their discography was played by other people or dressed up with studio effects.

not an argument

He was referring to While my guitar gently weeps, Clapton played the lead guitar in that song.

Oh shit, I didnt see your reply.

The drum parts to both ticket to ride and tomorrows never knows were written by paul

[citation needed]

i love his fills on yer blues

what were some George guitar parts that were sped up afterwards?

>played at half speed and sped to regular tempo on the album because
Ooops you forgot to mention that ALL the instruments were sped up and slowed down to give it unusual character.

Nice try though.

And?

what is wrong with octopus' garden you dip?

I'm sure his art is ironic.
He gave all the money earnt from his works to charity anyway right?

This. No other drummer would have come up with those weird ass fills. Ringo is all about feel over raw technique. That being said at the beatles first recording session they had to replace him with a studio drummer because he couldnt keep time. Guess whos playing the tambourine in love me do lol

>That being said at the beatles first recording session they had to replace him with a studio drummer because he couldnt keep time
This is wrong.

Their original drummer Pete Best was replaced because he couldn't keep time.

>etc.
Name another one.

Not necessary; one example was needed to prove user wrong, and I gave twice that amount

You're either not a drummer, or you're a complete idiot
Or both

Nope I'm a drummer of 12 years, Ringo is 10x more identifiable than them.

Don't add the etc then. It's hokum.

>Ringo is 10x more identifiable than them
This is just clearly false. I'm pro-Ringo, I think he was a great drummer that fit The Beatles perfectly, but you can't pretend his style is more identifiable than those drummers

>Don't add the etc then. It's hokum.
No, etc clearly denotes something that I meant and was intended.

a drummist who ain't do much but metronome the shit ain't right contributin much o musical value to anything 'tall

if'n ye has the instroomint en yer on-som-bole and what ye make it for doin is tup tup tup the beat beet bete thun ye mite not have much a clame to testin the limits o yer craft or brakin no boundrees in yer compostizyuning

what for mah poynte be hear would nutshelling it for ye wood be this talkjabber of beatles ain't wut it cracks up for

>Most experienced musician in the band
>shit

I don't think you intended anything, and are completely incapable of proving that you intended anything.

>I don't think you intended anything
That's not my problem

Um they didn't speed up/slow down every instrument ever, but if you thought by "the album" I meant Rubber Soul, then yes that is partly true (e.g., the piano sped up to sound like a harpsichord on In My Life). I was speaking generally of the 3 categories I lumped good lead guitar work of the Beatles into. But since you brought it up, I'll quote from "All The Songs: The Story Behind Every Beatles Release":

"In the guitar solo [for Hard Day's Night], George, who was not inspired or who was irritated by Lester's constant barging in, was struggling ... [George Martin] slowed down the tape recorder by half to facilitate George's solo."

I'll grant you that it is ambiguous whether they sped up the solo in that song for slightly more clarity in the mix (which I guess was another result of doing that), or George "struggling". But more to the point, let's go back to the notes for Misery on the first album:

"George Harrison had problems playing the little guitar riff that accompanied the line 'I'll remember all the little things we've done.' George Martin then decided to replace George with a piano solo."

So I guess we can both be right: maybe they didn't speed up George for that express purpose, but the point is he consistently dodged recording the better lead guitar work on the band's records. Good overall musician, but lets get real about his lead guitar virtuosity.

Yeah it was a nice try.

Hard Day's Night for one

>Um they didn't speed up/slow down every instrument ever, but if you thought by "the album" I meant Rubber Soul, then
I meant generally, on every album from Rubber Soul onward. For instance, most instruments were pitch-altered on all of the Sgt pepper album
>I was speaking generally
So was I. Use your brain
>but the point is he consistently dodged recording the better lead guitar work on the band's records.
He has plenty of great guitar work: see You Never Give Me Your Money, Something, etc

>>ringo was such a great drummer
>was
FUCK. YOU. OP I almost had a goddamned heart attack.

>I was speaking generally
>ALL the instruments
>Rubber Soul and after

If you have to define a subset, how are you speaking generally? It wasn't "ALL" the instruments ever, nor "ALL" the instruments from "Rubber Soul and after". They also used the technique before Rubber Soul so why the distinction? Is it "ALL" or not? Or just "ALL" of what you actually meant?

Sorry dude again I don't think he's even a bad musician. Yes there are a few examples like Let It Be or whatever but homie is the lead guitarist and literally getting replaced by the producer playing a piano and his other band members.

>If you have to define a subset, how are you speaking generally?
I should ask you the same thing.

Super so is this the kind of tu quoque thing where my original point is reinforced as valid or where you're saying you need to "use your brain" too

>original point is reinforced as valid
It can't be, because you are incorrect.

Why add the etc. if you already gave enough examples?
Why not just type out what you meant?

Why do you care?

keith moon is literally the most identifiable drummer in rock

I was reading the thread and that stood out to me.
Why won't you answer me?

The glaring errors other anons didn't stand out to you?

Why is that?

The ones you disproved while you were in discussion with them?
Beats me.

About my subjective opinion or the thing about speeding up that you're perpetually salty about? If it's the former then you could've just called me a fag and been done with it. If the latter i guess it's just a total coincidence that they had a "struggling" guitar player play in half time on HDN for the real purpose of making the guitar sound like a guitar. But you're right about the non sequitur that they did it some other times to a mellotron or whatever too. Now tell me the one about how Paul didn't beat George at his own game with the Taxman solo, or how George was starting to do mediocre leads by the time 1969 rolled around.

Not true

Fuck you! he did it with a little help from his friends!

zach hill

Ticket to Ride?

Hello?

I have a theory that Ringo Starr was the person who laughed the most in the history of humanity. Just look at his fucking face. He spent the best years of his life fucking bitches, getting high and making more money than he could spend because he was in the right place at the right time. He had all the benefits and none of the responsibilities of being a fucking rockstar.

>About my subjective opinion
Which you stated as a fact?

So you misspoke
>perpetually salty about
Why would I be salty about that?

do opinions usually have a warning that precedes them or something or do I just possess the unique property of manifesting mine as fact when I write them down as a sentence? Also no idea and I'm torn on whether I want to find out

>do opinions usually have a warning that precedes them
>what is "imo"

I think you've been on the internet too long if that's the only way you can differentiate the two

I think you might need to check where you are on the spectrum if you disguise your opinion as factual

Since you are the first person to say that in the thread is everything on this page now a magic internet fact

No, just opinions disguised as fact.

I said my opinion was an opinion without saying imo is it now a fact that it's an opinion

You should really say imo before opinions like that