MS-20 Mini or Korg Minilogue

I want one or the other as a first Synthesizer, which should I choose?

What are you looking for in a synth? They are somewhat different desu.

I want something that has a good deal of sonic flexibility, is generally fun to tinker with, and has its own distinctive character.
The only other modes of synthesis I have at the moment would be Arturia's SEM VST, and Dexed.

do you want mono or poly, patchbay flexibility or total recall
these almost have nothing in common, can't compare at all

meh, if you can't understand the specs, pick the one you find cuter

from this i would suggest the MS20 but it requires actually putting in some effort to learn the patchbay.

>good deal of sonic flexibility, is generally fun to tinker with, and has its own distinctive character
ms20 hands down. I got it as my first synth and because of it, I've got my second synth arriving tomorrow. I love it, and I learn new stuff everyday, but it does have limitations.

What is your second synth?

Kawai K3. Wanted a poly synth for doing spacey pads and stuff. Mostly using the ms20 for gritty leads so the K3 should contrast well.

I'm actually in a similar position OP, there's a Minilogue at my local store that I fucking love and I'm waiting for it to get a price drop and/or for my bank account to be in better shape before I pick it up.

What would you say the Minilogue's strong points are? I've never played the MS20 so I don't have much to compare it to.

Its biggest strong suits would be polyphony, a 16 step sequencer, built in delay, and 200 spaces for patch memory, including factory presets.
It can sound like several of the classic 80's poly synth, but is not the best for raw sound effects and is a bit lacking in the warmth\fat feeling.

4 voices + clever voice modes, super easy structured interface which hardly needds the (simple) menus at all so it's sper fast and fun to create stuff from scratch, nice little polyphonic sequencer, total recall with the typical knob modes (jump/fetch/scale), assignable slider thingy is great (better than a pitch bend wheel IMO), 4 motion sequences (modulate any 4 parameters via sequencer), great sounding delay effect

Cool stuff, thanks Anons. It's a little disappointing that it's not the best for raw sound effects but I figure I can just find a cheap drumpad/sequencer for that stuff.

hey I agree that the minilogue is kind of "thin" sounding but I never let that be a deciding factor on a synth because 90% of the time run it thru a guitar amp and add a little bit of pre-amp mixing and it gives it enough bite

I've done this with literal toy keyboards (like $5 ones for babies from wal-mart), added a chorus effect, and convinced people it was a Korg, kek

minilogue is best for chords and rhythmic stuff.

ms20 is best for thick bass and harsh leads.

Decent point, ive heard a DX 100 sound truly ethereal after being run threw a Big Sky. Speaking of effects, I recently listened to a remix of the opening theme from Metroid, using only an MS 20 that had been run threw some effects, sounded really cinematic.

I bought both and haven't regretted it. I think I have more fun with th ms20 though.

microbrute

Not op but i want to get a synthesizer as well but i know absolutely nothing about this instrument. Can anyone recommend babby's first keyboard?

buy a decent daw and buy software synths

make great music

oh wait, you're white

never mind

Yeah can't wait to play a live show with my DAW and software plugins

They people don't care if you're actually playing the music, you just have to be there and do as you would care for them and sometimes do some sick rad improvising inbetween to prove that you're a genius madman with fucking mad skillz and styles

No really what do you think what this is? The stone age? Damn I can't await the times when you also have to rap or sing if you're an electronic music producer