Looking at starting a mining rig. Thoughts?

Looking at starting a mining rig. Thoughts?

I recommend panning.

What are you intending to mine?

Prob bitcoins

No fucking stop, you're fucking my gfx market
please god no

Think OP wants to mine Shitcoins

I'm thinking, "time machine"

You're retarded. You need ASICs to mine BTC. You're five years too late.

mine eth, more profitable

The amount of time it would take you to mine enough bitcoin to recoup the money you spent on that rig is probably longer than you have to live.

Then you're late to the game. You need modern ASICs to mine BTC.

Nicehash or ethereum

You're retarded too, ethash is at a difficulty peak and Proof of Stake in announced for the end of the year.
You should visit /biz/ for more info

Not OP. Fuck off faggot

It's no longer profitable.
You will spend more on equipment and electricity than you will earn mining.
Put your money in an interest earning savings account and add about $20 / month like you would spend on electricity
You'll come out ahead that way.

Just do what everyone else does and enslave computers to do the mining for you.

depends on where you live. in china it is profitable

Nicehash is mining quire nicely lately, besides I can resell the rig or components to make up any short fall. Obviously theres risk in buying $2k worth of components, but if i can at least mine for a month or two, that's like 1/4 to 1/2 of it payed off.

Quick spreadsheet of what i've worked out a system could cost and taken into account power costs and startup costs.. 3xGPUs to start and experiment around, $1700 upfront cost basically for 3 RX 580s.

Ach sorry should have included ROI days/months too.

even too late for ASIC. I was able to make 120 a day with an asic i designed with a friend.
but that was years ago.

Any more stories / people who have mining rigs?

>ASIC I designed with a friend
that's a FGPA. ASIC design and production cost hundreds millions...

ASICs are the only things available to mine BTC, I don't know what you're talking about...

You're not factoring the network difficulty increase with time. Your calculus is good for the next week, it's already obsolete after that.

I had several ETH miners in my student room, free electricity
250 MH/s

My room was 9 m2, filled with 14 Radeon HD 7950 at full speed and heat.
My room was always 30°C hot during fall & winter. I would wake up with sore throat and extreme dehydration.
In spring I could not take it anymore and moved on friend's couch/casual gfs
At the begining of the summer I ended my mining activity and sold the GPUs
I held my ETH since then and I'm quite happy with it.
Now I look at nu-coiners trying to get in while it's too late.

>network difficulty increase with time.

Really? Next week? Then why are people mining with everything they can get and investing $4k in rigs?

several possible answwers:
They are already mining and have the knowledge and experience to do it (maintenance, pool and wallet management) and their operation will be profitable if ETH's price keep rising
They are new to the game and are blinded by the hype and will get crushed
They plan to mine other on other algos and they have bought very specific GPU to maximize their hashrate on alternatives algos like groestl
They are mining at a loss if they don't have free electricity and they are betting on a price surge but nothing is certain.