Ask a mechanic anything

Ask a mechanic anything
>i will respond in bulk because these things tend to draw a lot of replies and eventually the capcha becomes a maze
>what i say is not gospel. there may be multiple things that could cause your problem and unless i look at the vehicle, I cannot say 100% my solution will fix it

95 4Runner. 3.0. Stuttering acceleration, especially at low RPM.

>lot of replies
>nobody replies

Why do you have a job but won't get a pass? Are you a Jew? Maybe even a faggot? You don't even know what a phonolinder is, do you.

is there a check engine light? fuel trim i know can cause some stuttering and they usually set the light off
Im just a lurker. I dont live on here like a lot of you cuntcakes

No CEL.

Ok. It is a very common thing on all vehicles for the intake manifold gasket to wear out and draw fresh air in past the throttle body. when this happens, the O2 sensors see that the mixture is leaner than it should be so it richens it out. Try running the vehicle and spray some brake clean or starting fluid (or anything flammable) around where the intake meets the engine. if RPM changes, then the gasket needs replacement

Solid suggestion. I'll give it a shot. Just bought this thing and it needs new CV joints up front and the muffler's destroyed, so I'll be turning wrenches soon enough.

it is a very easy thing to do. With the mixture too rich, it will stall, with it too lean, it will stall. somewhere between there is shuddering. i didnt mention that.

I don't have a question because I know enough to fix my truck myself, I just came to tell you that's a sexy ass truck.

fucking yea. not mine, but i worked on a classmates when i was in school. shit needed everything and he needed me. Next to the 3 instructors, I was the only one who knew anything about carburetors. fun truck to work on

Can confirm, I've used methyl hydrate for this.

>replied

/thread

What'll make more power a single plane tunnel ram or a dual plane intake?

i'll bite. something under my car clicks when i turn. i've been told it was the power steering rack, so i looked for myself. I see that the boot has a crack, but can't tell beyond that. do I just need to replace that piece of shit 10 dollar boot with a new one, grease it up and be on my way? or would that not account for the clicking itself? is it possible the rack itself got damaged and I need to yank and replace the whole thing?

what is that? 83 or 84?

Is that your truck?

that boot when its cut make the clicking noise dude just replace it and ure done

>internet expert

What happens if somone sticks a potato in my tail pipe?

How easy is it to install an Exhaust and Downpipe without a lift/taking it to a shop? Any tips/advice on what to buy or do?

dual planes are a personal favorite. they tend to run a lot better than single plane intakes.
replacing a boon never solved a clicking noise. but the boot should be replaced if it is torn and probably the inner tie rod as dirt can get in there and fucking it up art a quicker rate.. is the clicking constant, or like a one time thing per turn? and how loud?
dont know. just googled a k10
nope. wish it was
the engine would run fine for a while, but slowly begin to die down and eventually stall until all back pressure in the exhaust is gone. you cant put more air in the engine if nothing is going out
depends on what it is and what it is on

What are the long flat metal beams stacked on top of eachother underneath the rear?

Leaf springs. each metal plate is a leaf. It keeps the axle in its preferred location under the vehicle and keeps the axle from twisting and breaking the driveshaft

05 330xi. Wheel shakes on soft to medium braking. New pads and rotors in all 4 corners. I thinking maybe the bushings up front are giving out?

Funniest thing you have found inside a non user compartment of a car such as engine or wheel well.

So im assuming rusted leaf springs is a bad situation? I went and looked at a used car and the leaf springs were rusted and bits flaking off when i touched them. Is this bad? Easy/hard to replace? Expensive?

Also the flex pipe was destroyed... How bad is this?

OP I had a tire going flat so, I put fix a flat in it and forgot about it. Now, some weeks later, the same tire shakes my car at 60+ miles an hour and stops at 75-80 almost completely...

what the fucks going on? I checked my lugs and the tire doesnt have a visible bulge on the outside

Sure. If you know anything on vw's, I've had a slight clicking noise coming from the front of the engine that's present at any rpm but gets louder when revving. Not sure what it is tIll I open it up, but it's on one of the 2.5l I5's.
Dealership reported that they didn't hear anything.

can you tell me... what would the correct ignition timing be on a 1955 Bel Air Chevrolet, with a 327 cubic-inch engine and a four-barrel carburetor?

In your opinion how many miles is too high when purchasing a used car? About how many miles do engines ussually stay reliable?

My 92 F250 with a reuilt 351Windsor and an automatic trans in it keep stalling when i come to a stop. It only does this in the rain.

IAC is fine, its had a tune up and new plugs etc. quite a bit of other maintenance. I take good care of it but no one can track this fault down. any thoughts?

I want to vtec my honda civic.
It is a eg hatchback jdm rhd.
I want swap an h22 jdm engine.
Any advice on how to vtec?

Pic related. The 5 on the front seem to pipe to the rear of the engine, in line with the back of the hood, and the overhead one comes from the grille to just under the cover.

I have the check engine light and the code is fuel is too lean how do I fix also when my car shifts to second it quickly goes to third

What should i do if i suspect a mechanic has taken parts from my salvaged vehicle while it sat on his lot?

lol how do i drive car?

they might not have greased the guide pins on the brake calipers
a tube of JB weld. The customer had a coolant leak and said we did it and he brought it here right as soon as he saw it (so he didnt try and fix it is what he said). the vehicle hadn't been with us for 15,000 miles
not that bad to see a bit of rust. they can be a bitch to replace sometimes and you will need a hoist to make it easier. how many miles and what vehicle?
also the flex pipe being broken isnt a big deal. replacing it isnt that hard and the only thing it does is allow the engine to rock back and forth as they all do.
you are the cancer of the earth. fix a flat never fixed anything and only pisses techs off. anyway, the fluid could cause the vibration. get the tire drained, repaired, and all 4 tires balanced. that probably should make sure the vibration goes away.
while driving or idling? or both? if both, it is probably valvetrain noise. normal stuff. can get the lash adjusted if you want.
a good starting point is 2 degrees past top dead center. google has a lot of info out on the older engines so do some searching.
if you want to keep it for a while, id go for below 100k. 300k is where things start reeeaaallly start going bad and you lose compression.

sorry grease monkey, I do not own a piece of shit like these other cuntmuffins. If mine breaks I buy an new one like a real man. Also manup and buy that pass dipshit chink moot need new shoes.

Go to a pet store out of town and order 5000 live adult crickets of the type used to feed pet reptiles. Pay in cash. Carefully insert app the crickets into the mail slot at their shop. Problem solved.

I really thought you might catch the reference. Bummer

08 infinity g37 68,000 miles. Are infinities solid cars? Reliable?

hows the timing?
mechanical vtec is a nightmare i know that. dont know too much about vtec though. im a chevy guy.
see this post: also what vehicle?
did you give them the car to fix, or was it sold to them for parts?
suck, push, bang and blow
moot aint with us anymore you dipfuck
which one were you?
they are fine cars. you shouldnt have to worry about your leaf springs for a long ass time. you're fine

see how smart you are wrench turner, I said CHINK MOOT, now go crawl back under a car, the internet is too much for you

actually, you techs are the cancer of the earth
i paid for a fucking lifetime warranty and you fat lazy greasy fucks refused to fix my tire unless i paid for a new tire even though corporate said thats bs

some of us dont have hundreds of buck to just shill out for a fucking premium tire after we just bought 4 and had a balance and rotation done

fucking manual laborer scum mother fuckers

btw thnx for the advice m8

2003 Ford Focus hatchback.

I keep hearing a fairly loud knocking sound when I have to crank my wheels to either side, especially when leaving a parking space. Sounds like something may be hitting my subframe? Any advice where to start looking? Car also surges intermittently. I've replaced the spark plugs and that mass air control sensor or whatever. Still seems to surge when sitting in neutral.

I have a standard 350 5.7l. When I am cruzing in overdrive after I let the the throttle off I feel a little playback in my clutch.

02 Honda Civic Ex that will struggle to turn back on after it's been turned off after recently driving it (sometimes even for a short drive).

Some clues that might be helpful to you :

1. Had bad thermostat for a long time and was recently changed
2. Does not overheat
3. Will idle at high rpm after turning it on (about 3-3.5k )
4. Starts perfectly fine if left to rest off for a long time .
When I mean struggles to turn on , it has all he electrical fine (radio , lights ) except it just does a cranking sound and sometimes you get a gas smell . Thanks

Bell air timing

Problem doesn't come up on the code reader .

>02 Honda Civic
Here is your problem

What would be a better engine for any skyline, a Gallo 12 or Gallo 24

It was there so he can look it over and give me a quote on repair costs.

I have a 2017 Subaru Forester 2.5 i limited. Can my car call the cops on me?

2000 Volvo s70
1. Leaky radiator
2. ABS/brake light stays on, car feels sluggish as if brake is engaged
3. Something keeps draining the battery overnight

Initially thought 2&3 might somehow be related to radiator. Like a "limp mode" the car goes into to prevent further damage. But both problem still remain after getting new radiator put it. Not sure what to do next.

ive got a lot of shit going on in this thread i dont know if you noticed. i just saw "moot"
well, have you ever thought that the injury to the tire was unrepairable and puts a liability on the shop if they fix it? it happens way more often than you think
could be the bump stops. they are there so you dont oversteer the vehicle past where the rack wants. still doesnt hurt to check for lose parts. for the surging, what is the MAP sensor recording??
could be the shift of power from the trans to the axle, to the axle to the trans.
hows the thermostat wiring?
then no. i didnt get the reference.....
got this reference.
did you see him take parts off the car? what makes you suspect?
i have never heard that happen in the history of ever, ever.
get battery tested. if it is good, you need to get an inductive amp meter and start tracing wires for parasitic drain. for that, id take it to a shop. the ABS light i have never solved unless i look at it. I'm kinda lost at the moment...

What's the "Biggest bang for the buck" performance car right now?

Thoughts on spraying a bottle of seafoam directly into to intake to clean/ break up carbon? Saw it in chris fix.

Your mom is the biggest bang for a buck right now, save your money kiddo. When you get $2 she will give you anal.

Fucking American cars/trucks
>basically bolted together overweight landships with a streight forward heavy engine that is fucking cringe worthy concidering the fuel to power ratio plus the fuck is nascar?
It's autism on fucking wheels
Don't even fucking mention 'manual gears'
Automatically American

That engine is shit. Do a 5vze swap, should bolt right in but the wiring is a bit of a fuck around

Not sure, it's my girlfriends car . Could you give me a possibility for when the wiring is bad and one where it's good? Thanks

Thanks cumguzzler: your advice is worth exactly what I paid for it.

2006 Chrysler 300 base model, very rough idle and the lights flicker a bit when idling. A few days ago when I tried to start my car it wouldn't start at first, and then it immediately turned itself off a couple times. After that though it ran just fine, aside from the idle that is

I was told my purge canister is bad (from the diagnostic check). They said it does no harm to not replace it. Should I?

heck, why not.
jeep wrangler tj
just had the transfer case flushed. comes back with a high-pitched whine. only whines when i depress the accelerator, let off and it stops after like 1.5sec. mechanic was nice guy, older, probably can't hear that pitch anymore... lol. What do you think?

I didnt see him do it. But the radiator and fuel pump are missing.

>2009 Volvo S40

>rough idle, initial acceleration feels like the engine is shaking a bit but once it gets moving it feels fine. just the idle/"first 5 seconds" feel rough

The hell with that. I paid $3k for that bitch just to drive down farm roads. I'll ride her until she needs something that costs real money and get a younger girl.

How do I get the enderpearl in Minecraft pls reply quick cos my mom is gonna yell at me

At what milage is it concidered a bad idea to change/replace transmission fluid? Ive heard of people changing dirty fluid and then having problems.

I only knock it because I've had 2.

But enjoy your 4cylinder power and V8 fuel economy

My truck (F150, 2003) is making a weird noise when I cut the engine. It sounds like

Hrrnke erderkn hrrnke erderkn hrrnke erderkn pwop

What do you advise?

Crack in ball joint replace or nahh?

I like the camaros with the 6.2l. They are decently quick and my dealer sometimes sells them for like 40k. its crazy
i hate chris fix. But that does work. i prefer using upper engine cleaner by acdelco or evinrude. pickling is what i do and works way better.
ok. so you are a euro guy. Remeber dieselgate? yea. US dont got that shit. we play by the rules
wiring is bad, the engine thinks it is cold and richens the mixture. when it is constantly cold, it is constantly rich. fix it and you should be good. if it isnt bad, then the signal from the cmp or ckp might be weak. may need to hook up a graphing scope to it...
kek
check voltage of the battery when running. it should be between 13 and 14.7 volts. if it is 12.7 or lower, alternator may be bad
the purge valve just vents of from the evap canister. not the end of the world. your call
is in in 4wd?
well, you can't leave with that stuff missing. take pictures/video of it if possible. If they try and give you the car back with that stuff misssiong, go to court because you were not notified that your vehicle was being parted out and you still retained ownership of it. you could probably call the shop and threaten it, but do it after you have the video and pics of it
with the engine off and hood open, rock the car forward and backward and watch the engine move. look for worn or broken motor mounts
distributor
changing fluid is never a bad idea. new fluid does not cause the problems. they develop on their own.
well, my thoughts exactly

Would you advise against buying a rebuilt title vehicle for any particular reason?

possibility of a bent frame for one. Rebuilt means it WAS salvage or something similar. you could easily buy yourself a lemon

Why do you hate chris fix? What is pickling?

Is it bad if i over use fuel system cleaners mixed in with the gas? Like i use them every time i fill up.

A lemon? I have a bag of those in the fridge. Hmm are lemons supposed to be in the fridge? Am i doing it wrong?

happens in 4wd, 2wd, neutral. it ALMOST sounds like an electrical whine, if that makes sense..

Chris fix just fixed his shit and plays it off like this is the here all be all problems for the vehicle he works on(just the shit i watched at least). i like elderlyiron because he works on his stuff and tells you what he is doing and about the stuff he is working on. Pickling is pouring that upper engine cleaner in the cylinder through the spark plug hole and letting it sit for hours. then vacuum it out and change the oil. cleans the engine WAY better. dont use seafoam for that. it doesnt do shit. and no. cleaners in gas isnt really a bad idea, but if you are going to do it, you should clean the injectors with it. pinch off the fuel return and inlet line and hook up a pressurized canister of fuel injector cleaner and run the engine till the fluid is gone (egine stalls). then you don't need to throw money at fuel system cleaner every time you fill up.

How do I check the voltage?

i really hope you know what that means....
in neutral? can't be the transfer case then. im lost. it is one of those things where i would need to hear it
get a voltmeter and put the black lead to battery negative and the red lead to battery positive at the battery itself.

>nobody replies
>83 replies

spluged too early, don't you think?

Lemon is bad car?

lemon is a car that costs a decent amount, looks good, and has never ending problems

That's a bad year for the milkshakes

Im 23 with gout thats not going away. What went wrong? It hurts bad.

im a car doctor. not a normal doctor.

A good decent pack of leafsprings starts at $500+

So what is it if the price is fair the looks arnt bad and has never ending problems?

Change the busted tire before you kill yourself or somewhere else you stupid asshole.

what car and how many miles?

What do you mean by pickling?

Timing chainsssss

>also what vehicle
It's a 2003 toyota rav4

04 BMW 325ci, had to replace the catalytic converters about a year and a half ago because they were getting clogged and restricting airflow out of the engine. When it was at it's worst the engine would lose almost all power going up hills and any time i needed torque. Anyways, replaced them with used cats(cali cats are expensive) and I feel like the issue is creeping back up. I can change the cats again but what do you think is causing them to get clogged up? Also had my rear main seal replaced a while back during a clutch/flywheel replace and I feel like the bitch just bleeds oil now.

see this and by upper engine cleaner, i mean acdelco or evinrude brand. evinrude works best

Have you ever been soo far as even decide to want to do more like?