Will rock ever make a comback?

>1950's - Rock and roll emerges out of blues and fuck shit up, and is quickly adopted by American Youth. Big Band and gospel music begins to fall from the mainstream. Parents warn their kids of the dangers of Devil's music. Good times are had. See: Chuck Berry, Ritchie Valens, Little Richard, Elvis.

>1960's - Rock continues its rise in popularity, and is no longer quite as demonized. The British Invasion happens, America is inundated with blues-inspired rock groups like the Rolling Stones and the Kinks. The Beatles become a worldwide phenomenon and pretty much own the Billboard Top 10 for years. It's also important to note that this is the time that artists like Bob Dylan and Joan Baez revived folk music as a medium for political and social commentary. It should also be noted that Soul music is still incredibly popular during this time, thanks to artists like Sam Cooke and James Brown. Motown records ends up with 79 Top Ten records from 1960-1969. Finally, Woodstock bookends the decade by solidifying Rock as not only a musical genre, but also a lifestyle.

>1970's - If there was any question before, it's been answered now -- Rock music is now the mainstream. Bands like Led Zeppelin, Foreigner, and Queen are able to fill entire football stadiums with screaming fans, giving way to the term Arena Rock. In fact, it actually became so popular and mainstream that you even saw sub-genres begin to splinter off in protest. Prog Rock, which originated in the late 60's, began gaining traction as a loftier and more experimental alternative to the somewhat formulaic approach to songwriting seen in most Top 40 songs. Punk music takes hold of the counterculture and rebels against the commercialization of rock music by bands like KISS. Disco emerges in the late 70's out of Funk and R&B, and America's relationship with dance music begins.

Fucking hope not.

no, it's too limited

If we kill Gene Simmons, maybe

What does axis x and axis y represent on this char ??

>1980's - Rock music continues its shift and creates even more subgenres. Heavy Metal declares that Punk Rock doesn't have a monopoly on anger, gains widespread appeal thanks to bands like AC/DC, Metallica, and Megadeth. Disco is dead, but the use of synthesizers and drum machines is adopted by what can only be described as the emo kids of the 80's -- New Wave is born. By the late 80's, Arena Rock has been transformed into "Hair Metal," Bon Jovi and Motley Crue are playing on the radio at almost any given time. Thanks to artists like Michael Jackson, Prince, and Madonna, the 1980's also saw the rise of the pop star, commercial juggernauts who dominate Top 40 radio by picking up the dance mantle that Disco left behind. Run DMC and the Beastie Boys come on the scene in the late 80s and suburban white kids first start hearing hip hop.

>Early 1990's - History repeats itself. Much like the rise of Punk music in response to KISS and Elvis, Grunge emerges and effectively kills mainstream Hair Metal with bands such as Nirvana. Somehow, Alternative Rock is now the mainstream. Rap at this time also begins to grow in popularity, thanks to groups like Public Enemy, A Tribe Called Quest, and NWA.

>Mid-Late 1990's - Anyone who watched TRL as a kid knows how this story goes. For the first time since the 1960's, Rock music is no longer the most popular music with the nation's youth. That title goes to the corporately designed teeny-boppers and boy bands, as well as the flashiest and least lyrically substantive rappers (P-Diddy). The only mainstream Rock music on the radio are Pop-Punk bands(Green Day), Rap/Rock hybrid bands like Limp Bizkit, or shock rockers like Marilyn Manson or Korn (Nu Metal shit).

>Early 2000's - Like Grunge, and Punk before that, "Indie" rock bursts on the scene in response to the sad state of affairs. The Strokes, The Hives and White Stripes enjoy widespread commercial success, and the airwaves are once again filled with guitar-centric tunes like Seven Nation Army. 9/11 seems to have taught us that life is short and precious, and that we shouldn't waste it listening to Fred Durst or Jessica Simpson. Rap and Hip Hop have been gaining in popularity since the 80s, and are now just as popular with Americans as Rock and Roll. Pop-Punk bands like Yellowcard and Sum 41 have another short-lived revival, leading the way for America's collective emo phase.

>Mid 2000's-present - The Return of the Pop Shit. Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Beyonce, Taylor Swift, Kanye West - These are the artists today who can completely sell out stadiums every night. EDM and House music, once an underground genre, are now played in the background of Pepsi Commercials. Pretty much all the Top 40 songs are just EDM tracks with R&B or Pop vocals. Rock is now mostly relegated to a few niche radio stations and shit posters on Sup Forums.

I want to believe Rock will make a comeback and free us from this poppy fucking hell. Which way will the pendulum swing? Will be have some more punk rock with Trump in office?

no, it will become an underground genre like jazz

>Disco is dead, but the use of synthesizers and drum machines is adopted by what can only be described as the emo kids of the 80's

Not this decade, this decade is seeing a hip hop dominance

Lewronggeneration. Rock is dead! I grew up with my dad's albums. Like Zep Leppelin. Only Kanye West and Lady Gaga left. We need REL BANDS WIT rEL INstramEnts. Like AC/DC and Foo Fighters!

Decade's almost over. Even then decades don't define cultural shifts.

What does?

Let's just hope never ok.

You're exactly right mate

I reckon within the next 10 years rap/hip-hop will become stale to the masses, and slowly but surely a new scene will emerge similar to punk. It might even be a full blown revival of punk or whatever, but it will likely be guitar based and extremely hedonistic.

Something is coming, but it might not be called that. You can kind of feel it already if you have your ears tuned and leaning toward the right places. Hip-hop is becoming passe and it's everywhere at the minute. People will get sick of it, and then it's onward.

Nu-metal revival is coming, it'll be a perfect storm of has been meme rappers and djent bands that are tired of chugging to autists.
They'll call it post-djent and xxxtentacion will be seen as the nirvana of it and death grips will be the melvins.

nobody fucking listens to nu metal outside of south america maybe

wake the fuck up

Nah, that xxx guy is a meme, mate. He has 0 staying power. He's known for getting in to fights, talking shit, and not really for the music. Normies don't give a fuck for a kid like that. I know OF him but never listened to a song of his and I'm in tune with new shit, etc. So that's my anecdotal evidence but still...

Some change is coming though, back to more raw version of musicians who "seemingly" have passion, etc. This can easily be manufactured so who knows how the labels will counter it.

I don't know, I don't know! I can just feel people getting tired of hip-hop and over produced pop shit.

Exactly, do you know what revival means?
We've got all these shitty chugging metal bands with no direction in life (djent) and autistic edgelords who rap (meme rap).
xxxtentacion has a literal nu metal track with 7 million views. Death Grips' popularity is obviously going to attract imitators, it already has with BLACKHANDPATH and JPEGMAFIA for instance.
Edgy shit is on the uptick again, 2020s will be an edgy decade easily with all these popular rappers with pop crossover being all sad and shit. And the supposed revival of punk now that Trump is president (I don't think this will happen, personally).
More and more rappers are also appearing in rock and pop songs as features.

what song

IT's all just a coincidence

Rock is dead, synthesizer based music is the next big thing

nobody wants to listen to guitars anymore

some songs are being tolerated though because they go under in the mass and look as a rightfully existing part of the universe of sounds

the one called king, someone posted it on here once and it sounds like fucking evanescence or something
synths and guitars aren't incompatible you know, and people still flip their shit for guitar pop like Ed Sheeran

Dear God I hope so. Tired of this shit already.

i think jazz or some modern variation is going to take the mantle honestly
rock definitely has a certain stigma against it and it's seen as old news so it's out of the question

No. Niggers and beaners will take over the United States, and a sleepy soul/pop/rap combination will gain a permanent foothold as the only people who ever cared about variation or innovation, white people, go the way of the dinosaur.

fuck off Sup Forums

fpbp

Rock? What stigma?

rock is for le wrong generation posers and old dads

>rock is old news
>as he nutrides jazz which has a good 50 years on rock

It's economics, record labels prefer pop-hop because it's cheap and ensures the maximum returns for a relatively small investment.

You may be right. I mean, I'm black and I know quite a few black guys who can play instruments, trouble is you can't get signed to Sony and make any money playing a horn or a guitar, the big labels only want hip-hop.

nah, it all goes with demand. people are into hip-hop at the moment because it's new to normies. well it was, now it's becoming stale-ish.

10 years and you'll see big changes

generations of youth

>nah, it all goes with demand
That's exactly what he said. The record labels have no demand for black music other than rap, so the result is that anything new and potentially innovative doesn't get a chance. I mean, the hip-hop format has been in the mainstream 30 years now?

He's saying there isn't a consumer demand for...

No way has it been mainstream for 30 years. You severely over estimate people in general. Mainstream perhaps with Eminem, and even then not 100 percent

Hip-hop is still a new obsession to most "normies", as they say.

It's becoming stale quickly though

I don't see nu-metal reviving, but some of the most popular urban contemporary artists in terms of Spotify streams like young thug, lil uzi vert, playboy carti and xxxtentacion are rejecting the term rapper and are instead singing over instrumentals that feature acoustic instruments combined with heavy distortion. This emo-noise-hip hop will definitely continue to separate from more traditional rap music and will stay popular. Mumble rap is going to split

There will be no next big thing.

he's not wrong

Can someone give me a quick rundown on what Rock-esc genre is rising and if pop will ever go down?

Tbh I feel like we're in a renasaince of garage and psych rock

/thread

you're 20 years late dude

No dude lol I'm telling you 2015 has been a great year for psych!