Why doesn't Mike Stoklasa attempt to make a serious movie instead of an ironic 'so-bad-it's-good' Troma knock-off...

Why doesn't Mike Stoklasa attempt to make a serious movie instead of an ironic 'so-bad-it's-good' Troma knock-off? They could easily come up with the funding.

Is it because he realizes he is a no talent hack?

Have you ever tried to budget what you'd need for a movie?
Honestly RLM makes massive buck for what they're doing (just take a look at their patreon), but it's still far from enough to fund anything decent.

>They could easily come up with the funding.
Here's your first mistake boy

How about moving their ass to Hollywood and asking a big guy to fund their shit?

They have the name recognition that they could easily raise the money through something like gofundme.

>Ironic

The term has no meaning anymore. The Troma style of filmmaking has been a thing forever and it's clearly something they're into. I'd love to make a goofy horror comedy like them.

Space Cop is a great film.

because its harder

hot wheels lawsuit when

>Says he doesn't like films that are bad on purpose like Sharknado
>make an ironic shitty movie

Maybe don't make a scifi movie. That'll save you a lot. Even though a lot of it didn't take place in the future, the stuff that did was shit. Wasn't there a cardboard TV?

I think they just do it for the laughs.

Mike is every pseudointellectual fedoratipper on the internet who has a lot of hot opinions on screenwriting and structure but can't produce anything of worth themselves.That's why he doesn't even try, it would destroy his status.

RLM clearly enjoys making weird comedy. Why would they make a serious drama? Because you've made some autistic projections about them and in your retarded brain "serious = real movie?"

Wait, are you describing Mike or yourself and every other faggot here on Sup Forums?

I don't know. It's something your mom said while riding my dick. Even your father looked confused in his cuckshed.

1. They don't make purposefully bad movies. They do their best with what they have.

2. They made feeding frenzy for $5000, and said Space Cop was made for slightly more than that.

3. Just because they make these type of comedies doesn't mean they're talentless hacks that can't make "serious" movies. They obviously just don't want to.

if you're gonna lead the way you should expect some followers

I like when faggots like you say dumb shit like
>durr they could never make a super srs movie
as if RLM themselves would disagree. Why would you want to see them try to make the type of movie they have zero interest in making?

>They do their best with what they have.
That's why Mike uses his annoying 'acting voice' throughout the movie?

>They obviously just don't want to.
I could [insert impossible feat here] but I don't want to!

What are you, seven?

The OP is saying that Mike loves to dissect movies, like he did EpsI-III, and talk about plot, character development, cinematography like he's the expert. In his videos, even the HitB stuff with Jay there's always the implied 'we could do this better'.

Mike is secretly planning a

>That's why Mike uses his annoying 'acting voice' throughout the movie?
You mean a comedy voice in a comedy movie? Yeah that's why he was doing that. I didn't think it was particularly funny, but it was clearly done for comedic purposes. Don't bend reality to try and make your dumbass points.

>I could [insert impossible feat here] but I don't want to!
When has RLM ever said anything like this? You're just projecting now.

Third user sliding in here.

>When has RLM ever said anything like this?
When has RLM ever said they don't want to make "serious" movies? You're also making up shit RLM has never said.

>You mean a comedy voice in a comedy movie?
That's not a comedy voice, it's an "I'm acting voice". Same one he does at the beginning of Half in the Bag when he makes those lame jokes and puns.

If that's a comedy voice, should I assume the jokes at the beginning of HitB videos are attempt at comedy? If so they're shit joke writers.

>When has RLM ever said they don't want to make "serious" movies?
I think a long history of making comedy videos and features pretty much speaks for itself.

Oh and on The Recovered commentary track they say in retrospect it isn't their strong suit.

>>When has RLM ever said anything like this?
>When has RLM ever said they don't want to make "serious" movies? You're also making up shit RLM has never said.

I was actually referring to this post
>3. Just because they make these type of comedies doesn't mean they're talentless hacks that can't make "serious" movies. They obviously just don't want to.

If you think the old timey 40s voice he's doing in Space Cop is the same voice he does on Half in the Bag, you may be legitimately retarded.

>If that's a comedy voice, should I assume the jokes at the beginning of HitB videos are attempt at comedy?
Should you assume the jokes are jokes? Okay, yes you are retarded.

RLM is just a group of friends that goof around and make comedy videos about movies and shit. Why are Sup Forums threads about them filled with the most autistic tryhard permavirgin faggots imaginable?

>Mike loves to dissect movies, like he did EpsI-III, and talk about plot, character development, cinematography like he's the expert
Well in space cop the plot was solid, there was no character development whatsoever and the cinematography was average, but that's a passing grade.

>The OP is saying that Mike loves to dissect movies, like he did EpsI-III, and talk about plot, character development, cinematography like he's the expert.

While a lot of his opinions as "Mr Plinkett" are clever they're mostly done for humor, not serious criticism. This is most clear in the Baby's Day Out review in which he spends a lot of time talking about the physics of a gorilla throwing a man and bending bars

>In his videos, even the HitB stuff with Jay there's always the implied 'we could do this better'.

Every director thinks that, every artist thinks "I could've done that better" No one who really ties thinks that everything they do was done as perfectly as they thought in their mind's eye.

>there was no character development whatsoever
Well the whole joke is that the protagonist has no character development. And Mike's character is a misogynist pig from the 40s that learns to trust a woman to fix a car.

since we're reading between the lines of RLM statements, I think at least 1/3 of the core trio still harbors the ambition to make a pro level film someday.

>And Mike's character is a misogynist pig from the 40s that learns to trust a woman to fix a car.
That's a last minute joke, saying it's character development is like saying marvel's quips are.

You really think a bunch of wedding photographers can make serious movies?

Not sure if you're talking Mike or Jay. Rich is miserable so no chance it'd be him. Mike drunkard tendencies are kinda rounding him out too, but he's still got that serious tone when talking about movie making.

>there's always the implied 'we could do this better'.
And how is this different than literally every thread on Sup Forums?

They aren't even trying to make a good movie because this way they can use the excuse that it's bad because it's supposed to be.

They couldn't do that if they tried to make a legit good movie.

If they tried and failed miserably their fans would laugh at them, and whatever little "credibilty" as movie reviewers they have would be ruined, their views would drop dramatically and they would have to do wedding videos full time to have at least enough money to buy food.

I honestly think Jay should go full auteur and make a indie horror film.

This whole b-movie shit is annoying because they hide behind the whole "it's suppose to be bad" and "we did it for fun/you" is a garbage response.

Can't it be all three?

This post needs more attention.

You can make a movie with a phone these days, there's no excuse, especially since RLM already has staff that could potentially act.

Maybe if they didn't make a shitty genre film they'd be able to make something, ever thought of that?

>They aren't even trying to make a good movie because this way they can use the excuse that it's bad because it's supposed to be.
People keep trying to say this here. Can you point to even one example of RLM ever using this as an excuse?

I meant Jay. I think Mike is actually holding them back filmwise because of his hyper self-consciousness and cynicism.

They make plenty. Seriously, they could easily do a serious movie with the resources they have.
I could see a small time chase movie done by them.

>You can make a movie with a phone these days, there's no excuse
and if RLM made a movie on their phone, you would be here bitching that it looks like a cheap movie shot on a phone.

Has it ever occurred to anyone in this thread that maybe RLM are well aware that they're not great filmmakers and still do it because they enjoy it? Is that too straight forward and simple for you autistic faggots?

>You can make a movie with a phone these days
OP is not talking about making a movie, he's talking about making a GOOD movie. And you can't do that with a phone, even if you pretend it's the new blairwitch

>Seriously, they could easily do a serious movie with the resources they have.
and yet they haven't. Maybe, just maybe, they don't have interest in making a serious movie? I would look at the fact that pretty much everything they do is comedy as a reference for that.

Sorry
>You can make a movie with a phone these days if you have the talent
Von Trier and the whole Dogma movement got by on piece of shit home video cameras, same as the French New Wave. That film about those transvestite prostitutes was filmed on a phone and applauded for it (I've seen it, it's well shot and doesn't look cheap, so it isn't just liberal virtue signalling)

Of course you can, if you have the talent. An iPhone 6 or Galaxy S6 has a camera miles ahead of what the independent filmmakers of the mid 20th century could have ever dreamed of. If Tarkovsky can become one of the most revered directors using 60s TV-quality cameras in the 80s then RLM can as well.

The notion that you need high-end equipment to make a good film is a meme spread by talent-less hacks. If your film looks good and doesn't sound terrible then you can let your artistic vision out.

"Those who can, do; those who can't, teach"

You don't have to be a good filmaker to be a good critic.

They did make something serious. It wasn't too bad.

I just feel they hide behind the veil of shlock. And sometimes even that is awful because it's forced and not fun.

To me, I feel like Jay could make some Lynch like aethouse film. Or a horro film akin to Basket Case.

Just to clear this up, he can't, he likes to think he could but he can't.

Why the fuck is Bush senior on the cover?

>Lynch like
this is setting the bar too high. i'd be okay if jay reached brian yuzna tier

>PROJECTION: the thread

>Of course you can
Are you trying to get me out of my room and actually try to do something?
Anyway
>an iPhone 6 or Galaxy S6
may as well buy a gopro for that price.
>If Tarkovsky
Literally a bourgeois. He had the money for movie making. Not to mention the gorgeous natural scenery at arm's reach.

>And you can't do that with a phone
nobody's done it yet, so it can't be done at all

>may as well buy a gopro for that price

Except almost everyone has a phone of at least close to that caliber already and therefore everyone can make a film. RLM has a good camera/sound setup already for gods sake, they aren't stuck for equipment so there is NO excuse for them to not at least attempt to make something serious.

>Literally a bourgeois

And a bourgeois then is a regular person now. Stalker was filmed in a place similar to Milwaukee after the riots, so again, no excuse. Nice ignoring the other examples I gave anyway. RLM has more than enough to make something but they just aren't talented enough to do so.

>RLM has more than enough to make something but they just aren't talented enough to do so
Tell'em

>so again, no excuse
Jesus Christ does your projecting ever end?
>Why doesn't RLM make the type of movie that i have personally decided they secretly want to make but never will out of insecurity even though everything they've ever done has shown they enjoy making comedies?????

Nigga we're talking about a lack of equipment stopping them. I replied to this post:
>Have you ever tried to budget what you'd need for a movie?
Honestly RLM makes massive buck for what they're doing (just take a look at their patreon), but it's still far from enough to fund anything decent.
And that's what we've been arguing. If they don't want to make a serious film then that's fine, all the best for them, but anons on Sup Forums can't make up excuses for them either.

just stop making movies where the central joke is "we're only spending $5K on this LOL" and try to make a movie you could show non rlm cultists—comedy, drama, horror whatever

>Why would they make a serious drama
It doesn't have to be a 'serious drama'. Just a real movie. It could be horror, comedy, sci-fi. I don't care.

>a movie with a script and sets and lights and actors and editing and visual effects isn't a "real" movie because I didn't think it was good

Isnt that ronald "ray-gun" reagan

>Well the whole joke is that the protagonist has no character development.

The whole joke is that they made Space Cop and want people to pay $20 for the Blu-Ray/DVD.

And you probably pirated it, so who cares?

Just objectively speaking, if you were to show Space Cop at a real live movie theater to an audience of real live people off the real live street, are you honestly telling me they wouldn't notice anything amiss? It would just be like any old movie put out by even an indie company?

can't tell them apart tbqh

Either way theyve changed the game. If cole smithey did movie reviews with his brother chris, they would slaughter everyone tho

>Just objectively speaking

You're not objectively speaking, though. You're using a No True Scotsman and we can't empirically measure your "real" movie.

all the people itt confusing "take your movie making seriously" with "make a serious drama"

>objectively speaking
You fucked up in the very beginning of your first sentence.

Okay, so you're telling me that Space Cop is comparable to other low budget indie films. It's not something that is 'lol bad on purpose'? It's just a plain old movie same as anything else?

How so? The objective part is in regard to how one would anticipate a general audience to react.

No, it's in regards to how YOU anticipate your reaction.

Do you really think they took space cop seriously?

Okay then, my question is now how would YOU anticipate their reaction? Do you HONESTLY anticipate that a general audience would walk out of Space Cop and not think anything was strange?

They spent three years making it, building sets themselves, auditioning and hiring actors, endlessly editing and working on visual effects. Just because you don't like the content of the final product doesn't mean it didn't take a shit ton of effort to make.

This thread is clearly filled with people that have no idea how much effort goes into even the smallest and silliest movie.

No. That's literally the point of the entire thread.

Yes, yes it is

No. I'm saying that people are responding to complaints that RLM didn't take making Space Cop seriously with "well, they didn't want to make a serious drama".

>One joke you don't like
>WORST. COMEDIANS. EVER.

Stop being a faggot for the sake of it.

Because RLM are what they want to be but are too autistic to shell out content.

What is this supposed to mean? Did it make sense in your head?

Almost all YouTube critics who make movies make absurdist comedies because despite hanging shit on other filmmakers work for years they're incapable of doing anything better or on par with it.

I would actually really like to see what they could come up with if they took a more traditional route, i.e. meeting with financiers, hiring union actors actors, getting a non in-house crew. It would be interesting to see what they could do with a couple million bucks instead >10 k

They don't seem to really have any interest in that since they can make a movie independently, have total control over the tone and the humor, then directly sell it to their audience and keep 100% of the profits.

RLM films : pro movies :: most other YouTube review shows : RLM YouTube Shows

No, but a movie with a budget of around 6 grand isn't going to get you much no matter who you are. But I'm willing to bet there are financiers who would be willing to invest in a RLM movie. Even if was only to the tune of around a quarter million, it would be leagues away from what they were able to do with Space Cop.

(different user) Even in that business model I'd like to see them be more ambitions with their films.

the people who demand content creators make things for "them" instead of making what they want are almost as bad as the faggots who want artists to work "for exposure" with no pay

fuck yourselves

*ambitious

>thinking independent filmmakers actually make anywhere close to a quarter of a million off their films
Holy shit, how delusional and naive

>the people who demand content creators make things for "them" instead of making what they want
This is so incredibly ironic when used as a defense for somebody who made his name destroying George Lucas.

I'm talking about the budget you literal autist.

He's saying a $250,000 budget would be a huge step up not that they'd make that sum you illiterate

Why is Reagan on the poster? He wasn't even mentioned in the movie.

You see his picture in the background a few times

lol so randumb