I'm starting episode 2 of pic related right now. What am I in for? What does Sup Forums think of the series as a whole...

I'm starting episode 2 of pic related right now. What am I in for? What does Sup Forums think of the series as a whole? Should I watch the sequel/spin-off series The Pacific?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bdaQHTWT_ZI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The Pacific is pretty much an independent show that is much different and much more depressing but it's still pretty good. Also check out Generation Kill, it's set during the Iraq war and is more critical of the US military but it's still good.

I really like both series. Overall I think BoB is the better series since it’s more consistent with the episodes. However I think Sledge’s story in the pacific tops anything in both series.

Warkino.
Excellent. Bastogne is GOAT.
Watch it but don't expect another BoB.

does this hold up on rewatches? I haven't seen it in a few years

You should watch the two series combined into a chronological order. Get the dates the episodes are based on and mix and match.

It's actually a really good show to rewatch because there's a fuckload of characters and it's difficult to catch/comprehend all the details on a first watch when you have no idea who the fuck anyone is until halfway through.

BoB>Generation Kill>Generation War> The Pacific
From the perspective of an AD soldier

Generation Kill is the modern Marine Corps in a nutshell. Literally the perfect series about Marines.

t. 0341

BoB is way overly romanticized and occasionally really melodramatic but ignoring that it's pretty good.

I absolutely agree with
also
check out We stand alone Together, its the documentary of the show and it shows a few people going back to Bastogne and exploring the woods for their old fox holes. Its sad man.

watch the fucking series or episode instead of asking others if it's alright to watch
what a cuck

I'm watching it regardless of what anyone else in this thread says, I just wanted to know what everyone else thought of the show first you fucking autist. Gas yourself.

In high school my jr history teacher showed us the scene from episode 9 (I think) where they liberated the concentration camp and some chicks cried, that scene hits me too though I wont lie.

why can't you ask after you've actually watched it and have an opinion so you can contribute to your own fucking thread

see

I feel like every American has watched that scene in a history class at least once.

Also fun fact the 101st Screamin Eagles are no longer an airborne unit, they still where the tab, but theyre air assault now (rappelling out of helis) I heard from some friends that as part of in processing to the unit they make them watch the series, thats just hear say though.

great scene
the looks on their faces as they pulled in was incredible

Watch Generation Kill instead. BoB is overrated and has muh holocaust jerk off scenes. It only rode to success on the coat tails of SVP.

found the Rah-pog

Just fuckin' watch it, you fuckin' cunt!

I found the Generation Kill hit very close to home a lot of the times.
>Unlcear intel
>Incorrect gear and stupidly limited supplies
>Officers not communicating properly with each other causing conflicting and retarded orders
>Brotherhood and feels

gen. kill>bob

band of brothers gets too melodramatic at some points

generation kill is a 10/10 buddy comedy, and a way better representation of modern military

>buddy comedy
Generation Kill has moments that are funny as fuck but overall I found it to be pretty depressing. Not on the level of The Pacific or anything but it definitely hits hard sometimes.

BoB gets really corny and spielbergish.

It's not bad, but don't expect anything new or unique, and quality drops near the end. it's 7/10 at best.

the episode with the medic is the highlight of the series.

snorefest

Pussy.

Might as well ask this here, has anyone else noticed the pacific plays oddly from hbo go?
It's like when fps drops to 20 or less in a game, no other shows have this issue for me either.

>muh war is bad and sad
>muh drama
>DUDE FILTERS LMAO

BoB sucks.

>feeling unhappy over a show that is primarily about the continuous fuckups of the modern u.s. military makes you a pussy

I don't know how people can watch GK and only take humor from it. It basically beats you over the head with the idea that the Iraq invasion was a pointless poorly managed mess.

write to their support, you're paying money for it, it's their problem

Only if you're a faggot. The Iraq invasion was a stunning military success.

...well... for the first two weeks

Let's be honest, Americans couldn't into asymmetrical warfare as well as they thought they could.

>What am I in for?

A pretty good ww2 series. It's overly sentimental though. The Bastogne episode is the peak by far.

>Should I watch the sequel/spin-off series The Pacific?

No, it's fucking awful imo.

m-m-MEDIC

The Pacific is much more brutal and has less Spielberg-Ambrose hagiography.

>That entire episode about the insane asylum
fuck that

Wasn't Ambrose revealed to be a hack who took shit from extremely unreliable sources and got a lot of details wrong anyway

True about the hagiography, but the writing and acting in the Pacific fucking suck. The guy who plays Snafu is the only good actor in the series. Also that pointless Australia episode...

I wish they would've focused on one group of guys like BoB instead of skipping around between 3 groups. Made the whole thing feel unfocused.

>that pointless Australia episode
TP really tried to take the narrative out of the war way too often and it made the story that was already split into thirds feel even more disjointed.

I agree

Yep. For example the show reports Private Blythe (the guy who went blind due to PTSD) as dying due to his Normandy wounds, yet he not only survived that, but remained in the army until his actual death in 1967.

didn't want to make a new thread for this, but i'm looking for a war/comedy mini-series that was possible on hbo? One scene I remember was they had a reporter with them and he tried to serpentine around gunfire. It was based in The Gulf of Afghanistan I think.

That sounds exactly like Generation Kill, which is about the American invasion of Iraq in 2003 and how much of a clusterfuck it was for first recon.

Rewatched it a couple of months back, it absolutely does.

Thank you very much friend. And I found the exact clip I was looking for. Have a bear to go with it. youtube.com/watch?v=bdaQHTWT_ZI

The 101st comprises a massive amount of people now because of the current Army structure, most of them non-combat and non-Air Assault or Airborne trained. Unfortunately there are no longer entire "elite" divisions in the U.S. military, although the infantry forces in the 82nd (maybe a brigade's worth of troops) would disagree as they're the last group of soldiers bigger than a regiment who are all qualified to jump.

>took a capital city within first two weeks of the invasion
>not a success

I'm not even American

Generation Kill. Generation Kill really hit home the "this sucks, this is stupid, what are we even doing here?" Feeling of modern warfare

All three are great in their own ways. BOB shows the massive carnage. The Pacific gets into how the horrors of war grind a man down and change him, and GK is a perfect slice of life of the modern Marine Corps.

>DUDE SHERMAN TANKS CAN KNOCK OUT JAGDPANTHERS WITH ONE SINGLE SHOT

Literally delusional historically inaccurate allied propaganda

Decent show, but way inferior Generation Kill and the Pacific.

It has pretty relaxed relationship with real history.

>Generation Kill is the modern Marine Corps in a nutshell. Literally the perfect series about Marines.

It's perfect series about any military. Even if 'muhreens insist that incompetence and miscommunication are their own trademarked properties... those are kinda universal things in every military organization.

>Watch Generation Kill instead.

Why not both?

>It only rode to success on the coat tails of SVP.

The very reason it was made was reutilizing props and shit built for Saving Private Ryan. A lot like previous Tom Hanks tv-series, From the Earth To the Moon made after Apollo 13.

He was plagiarist and insisted using interviews made 50 years after the fact over archive sources. British upperclass idiot as tank commader in Eindhoven episode is good example.

>During Operation Market Garden on September 20, 1944, Nuenen was the scene of a battle involving the American 506th PIR of the 101st Airborne Division and the British 15th/19th The King's Royal Hussars of the 11th Armoured Division equipped with Cromwell tanks, against the German 107th Panzer Brigade. The British lost two tanks, and four American and three British soldiers were killed. The Germans suffered two killed. The fight is dramatized in episode 4 "Replacements" of the television series Band of Brothers.

the 82nd is mostly all red berets