youtube.com/watch?v=bBMOHtCtq3k
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I like neo psych but all of those albums are shit

>Feels like we only go backwards, darling

Another classic of the genre

You could've at least picked good albums to represent your point

>This fucking thread again

TSB is good though

Yeah, neo-psych is probably my single favorite genre but all of these except The Soft Bulletin are mediocre choices

I just threw together a big rec chart for those who are into this stuff, feel free to critique

>neo-psych is probably my single favorite genre
mine too. have you heard this?

Pretty good chart. Too many AnCo albums that aren't HCTI though. Odd choice of Pram album too.

Listening to it right now, sounding pretty groovy. Thank you for the recommendation

>Neo psych and shoegaze chart

Its...beautiful

Also

>Catherine Wheel - Chrome
Mah nigga

Yeah, I threw some shoegaze, baggy, and dream pop into the bucket as well. I sort of consider them to be under the same umbrella as most neo-psych.

where should I start with this genre? go in order?

Not at all, I just tossed it together in random order. Honestly, I'd recommend choosing albums based on the cover art - because psychedelic music tends to be so color- and visual-oriented, a lot of the covers are pretty representative of the albums. Or just glance at the RYM charts, they're pretty solid too.

I ACCIDENTALLY TOUCHED MY HEAD

You might also want to note that Animal Collective, The Flaming Lips, and Spiritualized are probably the most popular and accessible neo-psych bands, so if you're totally unfamiliar with the style, I'd say they're all good places to start. Merriweather Post Pavilion, The Soft Bulletin, and Ladies and Gentlemen give pretty good overviews of what neo-psych has to offer.

>Animal Collective, The Flaming Lips, and Spiritualized are probably the most popular and accessible neo-psych bands,
compared to tame impala, mgmt, and foxygen? ...really?

Fair point, I just personally don't find them all that interesting. I think bands like the Lips and Spiritualized are more likely to really draw someone into the genre

>couple spanish language albums on here
cool

not at all

Not like Pram has any bad releases

I'm gonna bump this because I like talking about neo-psych

And now with Dungen she sounds very prog, love this new song
youtube.com/watch?v=bBMOHtCtq3k

first one sort of, tho it's more postmodern soul/funk

second one is a shoegaze/80s indie throwback

Toro y moi is chillwave
fazerdaze is dream pop

both dont technically fall under neo psych because dream pop isnt psych but sounds a lot alike and is inspired by it

This year is shitty for neo-psychedelia. What has even come out?

thundercat - drunk
fazerdaze - morningside
babe rainbow - babe rainbow
pond - the weather
king gizzard - murders of the universe

babe rainbow was cool, the rest of those sucked though.

ty segall - ty segall
black angels - death song
thee oh sees - orc
temples - volcano

Are you okay user?

Bump

That is the wrong of Montreal album to put on this list.

Thanks, was running out of good charts

Is it supposed to be a neopsy/shoegaze/dream pop chart?
How on Earth did you come to the conclusion that Boredoms' Vision Creation Newsun is any of those?
I'm just getting started into the genre, really into it. Some of my to-go albums are there, so I feel I'm doing pretty well. I'll check some of those this week. Any recs?
Finally: is Animal Collective really as good as they say? Or is it just a meme?

>is Animal Collective really as good as they say? Or is it just a meme?
I mean, they're a pretty divisive band on Sup Forums but I think they're a great band

how is motu neo-psych?

They're good. A lot of people view them as pretentious or deliberately weird, but it's really just 4 blokes putting together kickass sounds in the form of music.

But they can be inconsistent, in quality and style. Autist fans will yell at me for saying this, but check out Merriweather Post Pavilion as it's truly the best way to get into them, and from there, here's a handy chart.

Animal Collective's albums are pretty diverse, you're likely to enjoy at least a couple of them.

Yeah, I've never gotten this
Animal Collective is one of my favorite acts but inconsistency is one of their defining qualities. Which is why I found it weird when everyone was surprised by the low quality of Painting With - I never go into an Animal Collective album expecting anything other than some cool sounds

I realize Vision Creation Newsun isn't exactly neo-psych, but I was trying to create more of a general "contemporary psychedelia" chart, and figured if I had stuff like Well Oiled and La NĂ²via then I might want to throw in some Boredoms too. Also yes, like I said above, Animal Collective CAN be as good as they say, but don't expect every album to be as great as Strawberry Jam or Person Pitch.

>MGMT, Tame impala? Now that's what I call some redditor tier neo psych
>redpill me on Wayne coyne being the greatest singer of the 21st century
>there is no bad flaming lips album
>Wayne hanging out with Miley Cyrus is badass & cool (he's not old at all btw)
>yeah AnCo has some shittier albums like Painting With but they're rly influential, it's NOT just lelsorandum for the sake of being lelsorandum
This is how you sound

the babe rainbow is a fuckin' sick band, i wish more people knew about them

Go to sleep, you'll be fine

seriously, what're you doing not putting Coquelicot