Reporter/mystery/suspense movies

Could you recommend more movies like AtPM or Spotlight? Zodiac would also count, despite the thematic shift. I absolutely love movies like that, where characters solve a mystery by combining seemingly mundane information. I've also seen Prisoners, but that one I felt was grossly overrated.

On a slightly different note - I also loved Tinker, Taylor, Soldier, Spy (especially after seeing it one more time in order to fully grasp what the characters were doing).

The girl with dragon tattoo
Chinatown

Seven
Fallen
The Bone Collector
Along Came a Spider

All have long sequences of investigations etc.

>The girl with dragon tattoo
>Chinatown

Saw both, thanks anyway.

>Seven
>Fallen
>The Bone Collector

Seven was great. The second film, I assume you mean the 1996 one? Unfortunately I was off put by the supernatural aspect of it. The Bone Collector was a bit too much about atmosphere rather than actually intriguing puzzles. It seems that Along Came a Spider features the same protagonist, but I'll give it a try.

Thanks, anything else?

Memories of Murder
Narc
True Detective Season 1

Also you could easily fit in Hitchcock films like Vertigo, North by Northwest, Rear Window, Rope etc.

But I get the feeling you are more after paperwork shuffing type of investigation movies.

The insider

I think a big reason why so many people shit on season 2 of true detective was the lack of mystery of suspense, it was just mexicans and gang shit in los angeles

Yeah I know what you mean about Fallen, I really enjoyed The Bone Collector tho.

I have been thinking further, try:

The China Syndrome
Blackhat
Year of Living Dangerously
Killing Fields (more field based then office)
State of Play

The Conversation

Well, that and the story was a muddled mess. The characters were all unlikebale mumbling drunks with unpronounceable names nothing mattered and everyone died.

Read Agatha Christie books. I'm not sure if the film adaptations are good though.

Three Days of the Condor
Enemy of the State

Look it up the neo-noir tag. Lots of movies with mystery/detective thematic.

The Talented Mr Ripley
The Eiger Sanction

>nothing mattered and everyone died

I don't know why this bothered me so much in season 2, but the same extreme cynicism in something like Chinatown is so powerful

Because chinatown was well written and the characters had meaning/importance/use.

>Memories of Murder

I've seen those, it wasn't what I expected but it was very solid. I suppose I appreciate it more when the focus is placed more on the puzzle rather than characters themselves - not that there's anything wrong with placing more attention on the former.

I loved TD btw.

Out of all the movies you listed Vertigo is the only one I don't understand praise for. To call it one of the best films ever made is a great overstatement. I've seen the others and I loved them, especially rope for its great script.

>The Talented Mr Ripley

More character focused than I'd liked it to be.

>Three Days of the Condor

Loved it.

EotS was surprisingly fun to watch, even if it's not on the same calibre as other propositions.

I'll keep the other suggestions in mind.

>I don't know why this bothered me so much in season 2, but the same extreme cynicism in something like Chinatown is so powerful

I wasn't bothered by the cynicism. I fucking hate VV's character - a tough, yet sensitive macho gangster who has hidden depths and isn't afraid of anything. I bet the blame's on VV directly, for trying to out-Rust McC.

>State of Play
I mean the british mini-series

That's part of it, but it felt like an extra mark against the show to just wrap everything up in "the good guys can never win" emptiness. It just felt lazy and obvious

Maybe not what you are looking for, but The Fugitive is probably my all time favorite thriller.

Michael Clayton is another great one.

>The Fugitive

Of course I loved it.

Your other suggestion seems interesting. Lawyer films fit the bill as far as investigation/paperwork goes but I wonder how it tackles the fact that the titular character represents an unlikeable institution. Maybe there's some twist at the end or something, I don't know; you don't have to answer that one, by the way, as I'd rather not get spoiled.

On a slightly different note: I'm pretty hyped for tomorrow's The Night Of.

Have you watched Primal Fear? pretty good lawyer mystery too.