I found a wild baby duck when I was out running this morning. I couldn't find his mother so I brought him home...

I found a wild baby duck when I was out running this morning. I couldn't find his mother so I brought him home. I figured he might die if I just left him. What can I do to make sure he'll be okay? Here's a picture of him. How do I care for him?

Other urls found in this thread:

backyardchickens.com/threads/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings.750869/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Timestamp or gtfo

Just give him food and water and decide if you want to keep him or release him when he grows up.

feed him worms and water i guess
when he is older let him out into the wild

timestamp or gtfo
if this is legit, crush some biscuits, mix them with water, and feed it to him. also make sure he is warm.

Oh I forgot,take a cardboard box and put a towel on the bottom. Keep him in it. Give him enough water in a bowl and to feed him you'd probably want to give him bread crumbs.

keep it warm. you can feed it dry weetabix or oats for now. ideally, feed it up and take it back to the spot where you found it.
Ducks are stupid and will often loose a duckling or two, but they call to and for each other and it is quite likely that she is still in the area if she has ducklings.

don't do this. biscuit is not duck food is for people.

feed him worms or ants or some other shitty critter

Peas (canned, fresh or frozen, defrost first)
Oats (whole, rolled, or instant)
Can't remember the full list of foods they like to eat. Just dont feed them bread.
Use google user. There is a good chance you may not be able to release em until fall. Good chance he might not leave if you successfully raise the little guy

Worms and ants? What the fuck

eat em

ducks will happily eat grain based food. maybe not biscuits, though.

But the question is.. will it blend?

whole grains yes
processed grains, no

Just cause they'll eat it doesn't mean it's good for them. Things like bread are actually terrible for ducks. Source:Google

Use Google. Type in "What do baby ducks eat" and feed it that. Keep it warm. Not hard. Also don't feed it bread.

where can duck buy bread in wild?
nothing, but can always finds worms and bugs. sometimes slugs

i had pet ducks for a few years, they would always grub around in my garden after i'd been digging, looking for worms and stuff. their main diet was vegetable scraps

Ducklings have no teeth but appreciate finely chopped fruits, vegetables or greens. Small insects and worms make good treats, as well.

Feed it your cum

That is why I suggested weetabix or oats. both are perfectly acceptable for raising ducks.

I was simply discouraging using the other anons suggestion of biscuits.

Ok so make sure he always has a dish of water and if you have nothing else ro feed him get some bread andbreak it up fine and mush it with a little water your going to want to have him in a small pen or bin at least 3 feet wide if you put him near a window make sure there is sun and shade he will be very lonely so i mean if you can get him a friend(baby chicken?) you will save yourself a lot of him trying to get out of the pen to find you (mom) if you cant take care try looking for a local bird sanitary but he is way to small to be ok on his own you got about 2-3 months of quacker sitting on your hands

Please be nice the little ducky did nothing to disurve being left behind

Source have raised chooks for 10 years and peacocks for 7

Ausfag how many do you do?

Ok so im a tard about the bread but i havent actually had ducks but the chooks and the yard sharks live that shit

Ducks are social animals and should never be alone, keep him with you all the time

you should really put him back where you found him, preferably at the closest body of water. his mother will find him eventually

Important thing is keeping it warm, they can die overnight if not kept under a heat lamp. Make sure it always has access to water and put bread in that water mushed up so its a kind of slurry, that was as it's drinking it's definitely getting some food into it. Hang in there ducka

Go look for mother duck!

Not true. The mother could be dead. Other families of ducks will aggressively chase him off.

circle of life, etc

Do not do that! He will be eaten within hours for sure. On the other hand if you raise him, he will never be effective at living in the wild. If you want him to survive, you will have to take care of him.

Check online for substitute foods until you can order him some duck feed and create a habitat for him.

If you don't worry about him and you allow mother nature to run it's course, place him anywhere in the wild. That's a good option and you aren't a bad person for doing that but be certain that he will be dead immediately.

some people empathize with animals

OP please keep us updated with this.

Feed it cat food with tweezers. Keep it in a shoe box with straw,grass hay or whatever is common in area. I've done this before.

Turn him into duck sauce. Then pour over seasame chicken.

As the dominant species, Humans have the responsibility of being wardens of nature and Earth.
Even if many ignore the responsibility

Masticate your cum into baby's beak.

OP here.

Here's an update with timestamp this time. I have him a cardboard box with a soft towel on the bottom. Haven't fed him anything yet. Should I put a small bowl of water in there for him?

whats his name?

Op here again. I haven't decided if I should keep him and raise him or if I should give him to the local wildlife rescue just 4 miles from my home. I live in a home with a back and front yard, not a farm. How difficult is it to raise a duck?

Soak white bread in water and leave it for him on a saucer. I used to raise chickens and they eat that for a few days.
Also it'll probably die, so don't be disappointed

It's a water fowl. Yes give him water
Is he moving much OP? If not you may want to take him to a vet immediately.
See if he will eat some finely chopped veggies. Oats even, he looks very weak.

ducks=/=chickens
DO NOT FEED HIM BREAD OP
This would be for the best OP. They are professionals

Hey OP, here's FAQ for ya: backyardchickens.com/threads/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings.750869/

Name the little one Cuckboy pls.

you really need to get this little guy to a vet. ducks are hard to raise, and it's likely he'll fade if you try to do it yourself. he may also have been abandoned if he's already sick.

OP Listen to me.
First of all dont put it in deep water, they can only float because of the fat the mother puts between their feathers when they are young so they will drown without a mother if they go in deep water when they are young. Secondly put warm water into a plastic bottle and keep it near the poor fellow. Also giving it any hard foods is not the best thing to do.

Nah, breads all good, especially for a fast growing chick. Good energy. As a sole long-term diet for an adult, maybe not

Thanks everyone for your help, much appreciated. I called the wildlife rescue and they said they're closed but will be open again tomorrow morning at 8 AM, I will take him there first thing in the morning. If you can suggest anything to help me keep him alive until tomorrow morning, would be great.

Yes he's breathing. He appears to be sleeping right now.

They go to the park and beg bro

Ive raised baby muscovy ducklings. Three most important things:

1) food, get some chicken feed. Get crumbles not pellets.

2) water, give deep enough water that it can submerge its beak so it can clear out its nostrils and not choke.

3) heat! They need to be warmer than ambient air. Get a lamp specifically made for it (theyre red) from home depot ot feed store or pet store or use whatever you have (normal bulb can work), but MAKE SURE there is room in its box to get away from the bulb if its too hot. Also dont put it near food or water.

Other than that: bedding, you can use beddng from any pet store. Or newspaper or straw etc. We used cedar shavings.

Ducks basically are chickens bro. Fucking city folk, I raise all kinds of animals and would give it soaking wet bread

No, no they're not.

>Being this ignorant

OP See ->>

Fag

bread is terrible for ducks