If you had the option to be immortal, would you take it?

if you had the option to be immortal, would you take it?

No way, I don't even want to be alive in July

No thx Ajin already showed me eough

I dont believe i would. Doeth thee immortality include permanent mental health? Or is it like at 80 you get senile?

I already had. Demooo, it wasn't ever my choice.

Yes, If I'm immortal at my current age and wouldn't age in any way

Well if I was I could solve a lot of worlds problems with violence and not being able to die in the process.
On the other hand I would lose any kind of reason, because the people I know and love die but I keep going on and I would never feel threatened.

this

Ya

assuming people get senile because they are mortal assume eternal youth as well

I would rape all of them

That would explain the bible.

No, life already really sucks why would I want to live forever and never know the sweet release of death we're meant for?

I already achieved that.

I might take it, but only if I had the option to kill myself if I wanted to.

Yes i want to experiance all life has

Yes, I'd rob banks using a stapler to amass a large amount of money, then hide it all away. After that I'd turn myself in to live out my multiple life sentences. Then when I get out, I'll be able to live in infamy, make money writing books on my life and history, and basically be payed to be an immortal, irl shitposting Hunter Thompson.

Yes.

I want to learn everything.

Be on the first rocket to the stars.

Taste a supernova.

Watch in awe as it all ends.

but inflation

Yes, but only under certain conditions:
>I remain "mortal" (need to eat / drink / fight diseases / avoid deadly wounds)
>I do not age
Additionally I'd order any life support to be cut in case I fall into a coma.

I guess I'd become a historian. Or strife for political power. Maybe also the first mission commander for an inter-stellar mission. With life and potential being limitless, my achievements would be as well.

>gold

Nope. I was born a human and have already accepted life as a human. If I were born immortal then I'd accept being immortal. If I were to suddenly become immortal I'd witness the loss of everything I love, and I ain't got no time for that shit.

Life sentence means until you're fucking dead, idiot.

no, depending on the nation you're living in, life-sentences span 25-100 years.

you have no idea what you are talking about.

"rocket" to the stars! And that's why idiots like you will never go.

Fucking no. I'm already planning to off myself if things get to rough, living forever would literally be misery.

Nah, they have an actual stipulation on how long a life sentence is. Pretty sure it's longer than a regular person could reasonably live. But it's not until you die.

THERE'S GOLD IN THEM HILLS

FUCK YEAH

without thinking twice. people's reasoning of immortality sucking is losing loved ones but it can't hurt when you got no loved ones to lose in the first place

I can live my fantasy world how I want. And in my fantasy world, I'm an alcoholic, stapler-wielding, writer/historian.

Yes
>take bets on cheating death, become rich
>Death sentence and life sentences mean nothing to me
>Go skydiving without a chute regularly and slam into buildings and cause damage
>Walk into area 51 and find out if ayy lmaos are real, what are they gonna do? Kill me?
>Walk into north Korea and shit on Kim's desk
>Drink more than what would kill a normal human

Tl;Dr I'd abuse my fucking powers

I see no faults in immortality

If I was immortal, I'd use my time to learn about the reality in which I was created in, hopefully someday able to escape it's bounds and ascend in my knowledge of the infinite perspective forever.

I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

Yes. Hoping for life extension technology to be around in a few decades.

Rockets are still all we have to escape Earth's gravity.

Got a better method? Enlighten us.

that's not gonna happen and if it does, not only will it be delayed by decades like any medical and technological breakthrough of today, but it will be available only to a handful of people that you don't belong to

sorry bud

Fuck those countries.

Currently no one has a better method. But it's common knowledge we won't get there with chemistry.

Yes, the spend eternity helping mankind better themselves while secretly creating my own harem. No less than 100. That way I will always have lolis that will age into younguns that will age into teens that will age into young adults that will age into adults that will age into milfs that will then get kicked out for being too damn old. The ones who leave must bring a replacement that is their age when they first arrived.

Agreed

Wrong.

Composites are applied chemistry. You generally start there and work your way up.

Only if that immortality included youth and health. If it does.... Then yes I would.

I have nothing tying me to the present that I won't soon lose anyhow. Health concerns prevent me from doing much of anything.

Without the worry of degrading health, and without the worry of old age and the eventuality of death.... I'd be free to do anything.

Eternity would likely wear on ones mind eventually. Who could say what the ultimate price would be. But I'd be willing to accept the consequences.

even the universe will die eventually, inmortality is impossible

There's a dozen movies that are proof that being immortal would suck ass, so...no.

No, I'd rather be the opposite of alive forever

I have no live. Life sentence is instant.

Like Brian Boitano

The lmaos will dump you in the middle of a star. You won't die, but you won't be able to get out.

Worth it

>hopefully someday able to escape it's bounds
You mean to kill yourself?

You could do that now.

Depends on the type of immortality.

As a geneticist, I can say in 1000 years, the entire human race would be full of mutant pedos. Good choice.

All you have to do is wait.

>enemies realize you can't die
>capture you and stuff you in a safe
>drop you off in the middle of the Pacific

Enjoy eternity

Eventually safe rusts and I will swim to safety in thousands of years and I will be the winner

>>capture you and stuff you in a safe
>I see no vaults in immortality
fixt

Have fun being completely insane by that point

Fuck no

Not at all. Would literally decrease the motivation to do anything because there will always be a tomorrow.

Think about that.

I would just chill for all eternity. Try whatever, do whatever.
feelsgoodman

I'll rape our mutant descendants insane or not so I still win

>Immortal
You'll eventually grow to be very old, and you will basically become an immortal useless old man.

Ok neil

In time, the safe will rust. Hopefully your immortality makes your muscles immune to atrophy from extreme disuse. You'd escape eventually. A few hundred, maybe a few thousand years. Ultimately a small blip on the scale of your now immeasurable lifespan. As long as your sanity holds out that is...

Probably not, having to work for an eternity just to survive would get very tiresome. Also watching society degrade even further into retardation

thank me later
>iFuck Tonight.com

I already want to kill myself so how would becoming immortal help me?

Do you idiots even think?

>survive
You're immortal. There is no more surviving. All you do is exist.

And invest some money you fucking pleb

Unless your lack of motivation stems at least in part from a notion (real or imagined) that you have no future, and thus all effort is merely an exercise in futility. Youthful, healthful, immortality would eliminate what's been holding you back all your life.

>Immortal
>having to work to survive
are you retarded?

but if you couldn't die you wouldn't have to work to survive

You being considered isn't top priority.

Do you really think this is all about you?

Take a second.

Not to underestimate your consciousness, but sleep on it, please.

Try thinking about the things you haven't done and want to do, the fact that you haven't done them, and how the haste, in terms of time difference would change if you were told exactly when you were going to die, that you were immortal, then consider the fact that your life has an expiration date.

I'm pretty sure you guys will just cease to exist when I decide to off myself.

I'm a little drunk, but I really want to understand. could you rephrase this? please man.

yes, without thinking it twice

if your lack of motivation is because you think you have no future, being immortal would give you motivation, since you've got all the future you want

for example, you could become the best at any task in the world

We already can, but none of the autists here are smart enough to figure it out in their lifetimes.

It would be fun at first, being able to basically do whatever I wanted. However, after the first couple of hundred years you'd get bored and would have seen most of what is interesting on Earth; you'd become numb to what goes on around you because you've experienced the same shit for so long. Once the human race goes extinct and you're the last one, what now? I'd say once everyone's gone it'd be better, peace of mind and all that jazz. Once you've enslaved your 3000th beaver colony, what next? What if there's a freak accident and you happen to be stuck under rubble indefinitely? Once the Earth starts to crumble around you, there'd be nothing left to do; you can't go anywhere considering you have no thrust meaning you'll be in the same area for millions or billions of years. The thought of endless stargazing is tempting, but after hundreds of years you'd get sick of it. Once Andromeda collides with the Milky way it'd be spectacular to experience, but what next? Once the universe thins out into non-existence what would you do? Starring into vast nothingness sounds horrible. After a while I'd want death.
Sure it sounds great in the short term, considering you have billions of years for the universe to collapse but once it does you'll be floating in space unable to do anything.

>tl;dr No

Ohh Gotchu, gotchu.

But let's say that if you were immortal. your desires, for example, be it, helping others. - what if one day you decide to put it off? Like "oh, I'll just do it tomorrow." , knowing that there always will be a tomorrow. "I'll do it tomorrow."

The fact that you literally have an unlimited amount of time; woult that not, at some point, spark a sense of conscious complacency?

Well, if I'm immortal, what's stopping me from flying up to space and just floating about to new planets? It would take millions of years, but I've got time right?

IF, you decide to devote your time to such a task

all of us have always existed. not always here though.

Watch this first

I think there is a fair amount of paradoxical questions regarding this topic:

-Can I outlive the Universe? If I can, then, where would I be or how can I exist in nothingness. If I can't, then there is no true inmortality.
-Will I stay forever young, as an amorphous being of no age? I mean, you could be inmortal with a body that still goes through natural decae.
-If we're talking in Dr.Manhattan's terms, then could the same energy which brought me alive destroy me? Could a supernova turn me to the molecular dust I already am.
-If we're stating about a more abstract type of inmortality, we could ask how a being, under natural terms, be truly alive.

Also: No. I would never choose inmortality. The being I am would die in the process of transformation into the eternal self, and I enjoy the fear of death which pushes me forward to live.

dont you think you'll be able to find ways to clone yourself? replicate immortality into someone else?

Depends on what you mean, do you mean that like we were all stardust at some point? If so then yeah, we were, but like what defines a human is consciousness and unless stars had consciousness then I dunno about that

>Beyond Thunderdome

Being immortal doesn't automatically give you the ability to fly or travel through space without a vehicle.

GAAYYYEEEEEEEEEE

i mean we are eternal beings and being a human on Earth is a temporary thing. or so some of us believe.

Replicating immortality into someone else would, in my mind, be the harshest form of punishment. Having to live out the universe and beyond all because someone wanted you to sounds horrible

I see, but if I were immortal, wouldn't that mean I could not die at all? So I could just walk to the bottom of the ocean or fly a rocket into the sun?

Yeah but if you had enough thrust to leave earth and beyond you could, in theory, travel forever considering there's no friction in space. There's a reason meteorites and such travel really fucking far

According to some religions, yeah that happens. However it's up to personal opinion

No, without death life has no meaning. Being unable to die would take any urgency away from an action, essentially causing one to fall into a coma for the rest of eternity.

of course. to be clear i've come to this belief by way reading about of a lot of near death experiences.

this