Can someone explain the plot of this film to me, like exactly what the villains were trying to accomplish and how?

Can someone explain the plot of this film to me, like exactly what the villains were trying to accomplish and how?
Also, what was Jake's endgame when confronting the big bad?

fucking idiot

What did (You) mean by this?

Wow, you couldn't understand the plot? Chinatown is GOAT, no question, but the plot is quite simple compared to other neo-noir movies. I suggest you watch it again and pay fucking attention.

But really, why did Jake meet Cross alone?

it sucked shit

>Forget it Jake, It's Chinatown

lmao what. did their jurisdiction just suddenly evaporate. it makes no fucking sense and just the sort of thing old white faggots put in to sound deep.

jews win
you lose.

Forget it, OP. It's Chinatown.

Something about drying the land so it could be bought cheaper? Some land fraud, can't really remember but it wasn't that complicated iirc

Crime isn't just a couple junkies robbing people in the streets. Crime is a whole ecosystem that can't be stopped, no matter the size of the police force.

Police has to work while coexisting with organized crime. Sometimes "it's chinatown" and that's it. Nothing you can do about it.

>Police has to work while coexisting with organized crime. Sometimes "it's chinatown" and that's it. Nothing you can do about it.

Chinatown itself had nothing to with the crime. That's why it's a shitty nonsensical phrase to use

All is revealed in the sequel.

Cross wants to buy all that farmland on the cheap, then have the city build the dam so it can be irrigated so it will be more suitable for development, which will make it much more valuable, so he can sell it at a profit.

That's why he sent men to harass the farmers who owned the land--so they'd be more willing to sell it. And he has Mulray killed because he opposed the building of the dam, which is critical to Cross's plan.

>>lmao what. did their jurisdiction just suddenly evaporate
kek

holy shit fucking numales are retarded .. just kys my man

>hating on based ching chong city

Some random chick was hired by John Huston to get back at his former Water and Power buddy, Mr. Mulwray, cuz he fell in love and married his daughter, Evelyn, who was raped at a young age by Huston's character and the two had a secret daughter. Evelyn hid the kid from Huston ever since and Jake figures all of this at the end.

Was Mr. Mulwray having an affair with his wife's sister-daughter or not? Dunaway's lines suggest she set them up together, but why would she do that?

>fedora wearer thinks he's a manly

I bet you watch mad men unironically too

The reference to Chinatown, the last line, suggests that Jake forget about what's happened because interfering with the system of authorities just ends up causing more harm than good. Earlier Jake tells Dunaway, after being asked what he did in Chinatown on his beat, "as little as possible" after recounting the vague story about a woman being hurt because he interfered with some event in Chinatown.

So the overarching "message" is that lay people or common people, one by one, can't really make a big difference or "do good" when there's real, systemic corruption. So the last line can be translated to "Forget it, Jake. This happened because of our interference, as harm is likely to when we interfere in matters the system is in control of."

I took it as Noah Cross saw the secret daughter as his own (he even says that) and when Mr. Mulwray was having an affair with her, while cheating on Evelyn, it pissed him so much that he went apeshit and decided to end Mulwray, but by that time Jake shoved his nose too far up Noah Cross's business, resulting in his inevitable meeting with Noah himself.

>that filename

God bless Nixon, glad to see another admirer

i can't believe people who browse a film board are this retarded

memes have rotted your brain

topkek

numales trigger so easily

hola reddito

>fedora thinks he actually matters

you're the one who sounds triggered because someone didn't like what you like :^)

>it's nonsensical to anyone except the omniscient viewer

it's still silly

sure thing reddito :^)

It's really not that hard to understand you fucking moron. It's the exact same as your weeashit meme "it cannot be helped."

Good god this fucking board sometimes

Not really. When Jake told Dunaway the story and how he subsequently did "as little as possible," that was certainly for the viewer's knowledge, but Jake and his colleagues already had an understanding of how futile interference is and how these things "just happen" in a place like Chinatown, so the line makes sense between the guy who said it and Jake.

Does this man look like a criminal to you?

in my opinion noir is made to be excessively confusing on purpose. it gives you the feeling of complete confusion that detectives must feel when they get into a big, complex case.

>that moment you realize true detective season 2 tried to rippoff chinatown but couldn't even get that right

>serious response
>completely ignored
just goes to show actually putting in effort on this board is pointless

ive not seen the movie in years but that pretty much what i remembered from it

it was based on what actually happen irl where they cut off the water around LA

Also, what was Luke's endgame when confronting the big bad?

your memory serves you well. you nailed the plot.

i was just highlighting the fact that someone actually answered the question OP asked, but was ignored, making one question what the point of the thread really was

They were trying to blow up the Death Star.

That's the plot of every Star Wars movie except for the prequels.

Forget it, Jake, it's Vaginatown

lol, I shitpost 75% of the time with the best of 'em, but sometimes you're interested enough in the thread's topic that, what the hell, just give a serious answer.

we can't meme 100% of the time XDDD