If it weren't for the shitty drumming and a couple of weird vocal moments this shit would take the title of best 90s...

if it weren't for the shitty drumming and a couple of weird vocal moments this shit would take the title of best 90s alternative album. but the drumming is fucking awful...

still a 9.3/10

pinkerton is better

The Pleasure Principle sucks

what makes you think that?

bump

You're ignoring

What's wrong the drumming? Never noticed anything

>never noticed anything
Exactly

its simplistic but the guitar sections are complicated enough to make up for it. If the drumming were more complicated and spiderland-y I think the sections would get too messy

because it's not related to the thread at all.

my beef with the drumming is not that it's not rhythmically adequate. i think a lot of times they just have a shitty mix on the drums or the drummer just kept droning on with something that stopped making sense several bars ago. you can hear this on "Stop the Show" for example.

Built to Spill was never a drummer's band and never will be. Even on their latest album with a different drummer it still sounds bad.

not trying to sound rude but what point are you trying to make?

>9.3

what do you think it is

Only faggots get more specific than .5

lol why are you mad

Are you a drummer? I like the drumming on this album a lot. I thought Stop the Show and Untrustable pt 2 fit the sound perfectly and do a great job of accenting the guitar parts. Sure, it's not all that intricate, but the album is clearly guitar driven and I'd rather listen to musicians work together over musicians trying to outstage each other.

WE'RE SPECIAL

>drumming has to be attention-grabbing
kill yourself

Kicked It In The Sun is about as good as American indie rock ever got.

IN OTHER WAYS

there's no such thing as a great album with awful drumming. Drumming is the core that holds all rhythms together.

Average drumming? You'll do fine. But awful drumming will kill any music

Not him but how the fuck do you know if it's either a 9.3 or a 9.2

Yes I have played the drums for 11 years but what does that have to do with anything? Also read my comments above and you'll see that I am not critiquing the lack of complexity. I'm critiquing the mix and the decision making.

What about all the great albums that barely (or do not) feature a drum set? This is a stupid post. Rhythm does not only come from percussion dude.

Might agree with you desu.

All it lacks is a song of the same calibre as Carry The Zero.
Guitar work is insane.

Are you kidding me?
>Velvet Waltz
>Kicked It in the Sun

This album gave me new appreciation for Neil Young. That guy influenced everybody.

Personal pref I guess man, I love this album more than most but Carry the Zero is just perfection and has something nothing on PFNO does.

tagged wrong post.

I've kind of grown out of it just because I've overplayed it, but I get ya. It was definitely my favorite BtS song at one point.

>Yes I have played the drums for 11 years but what does that have to do with anything
I was wondering if your criticism was solely from the listener's perspective or if it was as another artist.

I'm still not super clear about what exactly is wrong. As far as the general mix goes Phil Ek is pretty capable as an engineer. I've always admired is drum sounds actually, they're very natural yet still crystal clear.

I heard no issues with Stop the Show, the drums fit very well and don't seem the least bit rambling. I don't know man, I'm not getting it. PFNO is pretty much perfect IMO.

my favourite on this is actually Out of Sight for some reason, that guitar lick at 2:10 most likely.

I love that too, it's fun to play