Why did no one care? It was a good movie, by far the best of the three (I liked the other two) but no one cared...

Why did no one care? It was a good movie, by far the best of the three (I liked the other two) but no one cared. The last two did pretty well, but no one gave a shit about this one despite good word of mouth and great reviews. Hell, no one cares that it fucking flopped.

Other urls found in this thread:

trektoday.com/content/2016/08/star-trek-beyond-in-china/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

only people who liked Star Trek are 80 and use their 2 hours outside the retirement home to visit their family not go to the theatre

Bad timing.

It came out a week before the new Jason Bourne film. Also, the trailer was incredibly underwhelming.

Into Darkness killed all of the momentum that Star Trek had coming off of that surprisingly fun 2009 reboot, and then that awful first trailer killed all of the interest for the remaining audience.

The new Jason Bourne movie didn't fare much better and was pretty disappointing.

Are we entering the dark age where we just get capeshit and disney shit?

>make two shit movies that are "fun" that stray from the source material

>w-w-why didn't they watch the third attempt that was actually good

will hollywood ever fucking learn

Star Trek 2009 had a lot of momentum. Then they waited 4 years to make a sequel. Into Darkness was well received by reviewers and audiences, so that makes no sense.

All I can think about is that they realsed

The trailers were shit.

Also no matter how good they are as a remake characters on screen the leads just aren't a blockbuster draw.

I saw it I loved it. It was brilliant but I was going with a i'm seeing this despite how shit it's gonna turn out attitude and normies wouldn't do that.

Er, released a shit trailer and then did nothing for 5 months.

It did a little better. $278M on a $120M budget is much better than $231M on a $185M budget.

Hell, Jason Bourne might even be profitable at the end of its run.

>Are we entering the dark age where we just get capeshit and disney shit?

And animated movies. Sausage Fest made like $70M on a $19M budget.

Dark days ahead.

The studio that gave us Fury Road isn't making a sequel and is instead throwing all their money at shit like Suicide Squad which is making billions.

can someone explain exactly why they liked this movie?

It seemed to me (not a star trek fan) to have some of the issues the first two had that the old fans didn't like, as well as a touch of Marvel quippiness that felt out of place

not to mention

>really barebones character development over the entire movie (basically just spock and kirk saying in the beginning they were leaving and not leaving at the end)
>in my opinion the least interesting villain of the three (they had serious potential with the whole "the frontier striking back" thing but there was almost nothing about that in the whole movie
>obviously forced in beastie boys plays while we ride an exploding wave of spaceships scene that other scenes were later shot to make it look like they were setting it up and not the reverse
>spending fucking no time at all on the "we have to survive this hostile planet with no resources all split up" idea, which I was looking forward to
>yet another final showdown fistfight between main character and villain at the end

I even liked Into Darkness more, with all its faults. Granted I wasn't scoffing at the things they literally lifted from The Wrath of Khan so that's probably a reason.

baddies shouldve been klingons desu

Because the previous one was shit, and NOTHING they did for this one's promo let think it was gonna be anything different.

In fact I barely heard about it at all. It's like they didn't even care if it bombed

They rebooted the series for normies

Normies don't want Star Trek, they wanted some nerd cred. They won't be back, and neither will the fans.

The script is much better. Unlike the previous movie this one actually has character arcs, for one.

such as? Other than the ones I said about Kirk and Spock, which were extremely barebones, and Jala, who was also kind of underwritten and not very interesting.

took my parents to go see it last weekend, my mom's a TOS diehard and my dad a normie that mostly likes capeshit -- they both loved it

I did too

>Why did no one care?

They did but we're literally only seeing North American numbers because of their retarded release schedule.

It still hasn't been released in Japan and China, literally the biggest box offices after America.

There are some countries that won't get it until October.

It is making less in every country than Into Darkness and ST09 even with good reviews and word of mouth.

whoa forgot this movie existed lol

This. International box office is what really counts these days.

That's how each Transformers movie keeps making a billion - a couple hundred million in the US, the rest in other countries.

>Star Trek Beyond is yet to open in big markets like France and South Korea (August 18), Spain (August 19), Brazil (September 1), China and Mexico (September 2), Turkey, Japan (October 21), and throughout Latin America.

If you think those markets don't matter, look at what they did for the previous Trek films.

Minus France, South Korea and Spain obviously. But we won't know the results of those releases for a while.

There's been several fantastic movies this year that tanked at the box office.

Star Trek: Beyond, TMNT: OOTS, and now Kubo. Fuck 2016.

>tfw no quirky ballet-originated gf

actresses who started in ballet are the best

This, waiting on september 9 on my shitty third world country

This. The Fucking uhf and music resolve was cringe. Simon pegs accent. Fucking piss.

The problem is that Into Darkness showed what terrible writers did with the franchise. The crew was pretty much boiled down to their basics and didn't show any improvements since their Star Trek (2009). The story was predictable and the super blood was stupid.
Beyond is pretty much a stand alone movie, not really connected to the previous two films. It could fit in between the previous two films and no one would notice actually. Beyond, and the other NuTrek films suffer from trying to be more like Star Trek instead of being smart.
Wrath of Khan had an amazing ship battle with stakes and tension because it was more like a submarine battle, not a shoot out.
Beyond also suffers from having an unengaging energy vampire villain. Uh no, generic dude wants to destroy some Federation station because they hurt his feelings. Then again 2009 had a lame villain as well.
Overall I liked Beyond more than Into Darkness, but it's pretty forgettable.

I'm glad it took away the thunder of Ghostbusters.

>main villan was garbage.
He had no personality or reason behind what he did. His back story was worthless and made no sense.
>where did the enemy troops come from
>why did the "most advanced station in the universe" not have proper defenses or some other star fleet vessels docked
>why did the power of music make the bees blow up instead of just disorienting them.
>millions and millions of them die but only 3 survive. Oh look, it's the main baddie.
>not Rey couldn't speak English at the beginning. By the end she was fluent.
>Mr Zulu and his shoehorned gey senpai.

Bones was funny
The power of music was a legitimately entertaining and funny part.

Everything else was forgettable.

>make a point of having the Enterprise go on a 5 year voyage into deep space
>don't show any of that, instead have the Enterprise coming back to civilization in the first 5 minutes and only being "stranded" on ONE deep space world for about 10 minutes before they all regroup and leave

Shut the fuck up, it's still trash you faggot

Into Darkness was a god-awful movie that made Nemesis look like Citizen Kane

why do people dislike Into Darkness again?

You're a long way from Kikebook, normie.

Are you mentally retarded?

desu I didn't even know it was out

>Music ex Machina defeats the seemly unbeatable enemy

>where did the enemy troops come from
Explained, they were drones.
>why did the "most advanced station in the universe" not have proper defenses or some other star fleet vessels docked
Its defenses were explicitly shown, both a defensive station that is destroyed, and its own weapons. Also explained was the ships had been sent off after Uhura's distress call which had faked coordinates.

>why did the power of music make the bees blow up instead of just disorienting them.
Explained that it overloaded them.

>millions and millions of them die but only 3 survive. Oh look, it's the main baddie.
Because his ship was sending the signal, not receiving it.

>not Rey couldn't speak English at the beginning. By the end she was fluent.
Ah, I see now you're just a 100% troll, as not only does she speak English right from the start, but Scotty asks her how she can.

All this delusion

>Actually paying attention to a movie is now "delusion"

Because Into Darkness was awful, despite reviewing well, so people didn't want to get burnt the second time.

And people are more selective about going to the movies these days, since it's so expensive and you can get something similar on TV/Netflix for cheap.

Also, why the fuck did it get a $185m budget? Studios need to be better at controlling costs. If it had been $150m then it would have been a minor success.

'09 and the reboot were tailored to people who wanted more Star Wars but were willing to settle for action-heavy Trek.

Now that they have more Star Wars, those people don't give a shit, and the audience that would have turned out for one of the pre-reboot Star Trek movies was
1: alienated by the action-heavy nature of the reboots
2: declining in size due to the complete lack of a Trek TV show for a decade, and the lack of a good one for nearly two (and was possibly too small to support a hugely expensive modern blockbuster to begin with)

The funny thing is if it was less action-driven then it would have been cheaper and likely made money.

I liked that the villain saw the Federation Humans as race traitors because he didn't help lead United EARTH to victory over the Romulans to hand over Human sovereignty to some other bunch of aliens.

Spock also has a barely in the theatrical cut of the movie arc about the same topic "should I keep fucking my non-Vulcan girlfriend or go find a Vulcan wife to repopulate my race" arc in the story as well.

I think if they were bolder and didn't wait until the final 20 minutes to reveal Idris Elba's true motivation and actually talk more about this theme it could have been a genuinely thought provoking movie but they were afraid of the subject matter.

>This level of stupidity.

kys for the good of the species, please.

I guess I was not the only person in the thread who actually understood the movie. I am surprised no one else here understood this about the villain.

Because it raped Warth of Khan's corpse.

I'm a big TOS fan, and I thought the movie was shit. The Bones/McCoy banter was forced, the guy who plays Sulu was horrible (I thought he was fine in the first two), Kirk's motorcycle scene was retarded, and the Beastie Boys gimmick was cringe inducing.

I did like the alien chick, and the destruction of the E was pretty good. However, the only time I really felt engaged was during the final fight when Elba's character was explaining what his deal was, but by that point the movie was pretty much over. An entire movie that really focused on Elba's character may have been pretty good. SHOW how the Federation let him down... how they forget him after the war.

I'm actually surprised at the critical praise this movie is getting, but maybe I missed something that others are seeing. I'm glad people like it, because it means a better chance for another Trek flick, which is always a good thing.

but the fact that both the arcs of Kirk and Spock were so underwritten--basically just a few lines of dialogue at the beginning and end of the movie--as well as Idris Elba ALSO being extremely underused and not having a more fleshed out motivation and better plan than "kill da federation" made the movie suck

as well as Jala being pointless

right, that's about the only thing I have heard. I was looking for other reasons.

>I'm actually surprised at the critical praise this movie is getting, but maybe I missed something that others are seeing.

this desu senpai, I really don't understand. I agree with literally everything in your post. I hated how long the motercycle scene dragged on, it was just more of the same Kirk being an action hero shit

All of your explanations didn't make sense or answer my faults.

Let's break this down.

A ship lands on a planet in a nebula that blocks all communication.
Everyone dies but three.
Although they SHOULD be trained star fleet officers who understand that the nebula would block communication. They get pissed that star fleet doesn't communicate. So pissed that krall decides to wipe out star fleet. (What)

On the planet they are stranded on. They use the wreckage and magical alien life extending technology to create an army of soldiers, weapons, and ships that can take out the most advanced star fleet ships.

The ships stay in sync by a signal sent out by the lead ship. They disrupt the signal "make it loud and distracting" which should have sent the fleet going everywhere due to lack of leadership.

Instead, they were blown up by radio waves. SUFFOCATION.

This retarded theory means that all ships tied to the signal when near the star fleet broadcast would blow up. But not the main character. We need him to be black later.

My point was with the chick (I seriously can't remember her name and I saw this yesterday) she was struggling with primitive English at the beginning and she was flawless by the end of the movie

The critics understand that it's a movie about the concept of race traitors but don't want to say that out loud so normies don't start thinking in those terms.

Spock outright thinks of himself as a race traitor for being with a Human so he initially breaks up with her to repopulate his own race as a deliberate and intentional act.

Elba's general see the Federation Humans as race traitors because he won the war for Earth only to have Human sovereignty given to another group of aliens. He wants to destroy the Federation but only so that Humanity is forced to take it's rightful place.

>I was looking for other reasons.

>completely nonsensical plot in which Star Fleet finds bodies frozen in space and forces them to build weapons for some reason
>le evil admiral
>le evil Star Fleet
>overall a horrible remake of Wrath of Khan (with 1 on 1 ship battle + Spock yelling KHAAAAN instead of Kirk)
>Spock for some reason upset that Kirk is dead even though he's only known him for like 2 years and didn't seem to like him in the least
>Kirk brought back to life with magic blood
>Spock/Uhura relationship which was some of the most cringe inducing shit I've ever seen.
>Spock punching Khan in the face for 10 minutes

Into Darkness was shit and people weren't going to be fooled again.

well that was the aspect of it that for me was actively offensive. The rest was at best blandly watchable even if way too action-heavy and non-sensical. Spock beating Khan up? hmm pass.

Into Darkness was basically capeshit with Star Trek in the name, it was embarrassing.

>Although they SHOULD be trained star fleet officers
Yes, because Starfleet Captains NEVER EVER lose it when things go bad.

>The ships stay in sync by a signal sent out by the lead ship. They disrupt the signal "make it loud and distracting" which should have sent the fleet going everywhere due to lack of leadership.
"Should have" because you get to decide how technobabble works. Again, in the movie, they outright say they will be destroyed.

>This retarded theory means that all ships tied to the signal when near the star fleet broadcast would blow up. But not the main character. We need him to be black later.
Because you fucking idiot, he is not tied to the signal. He is operating independently. Which is literally established the first time we see him. But again, you don't pay attention and then whine about the movie.

>My point was with the chick (I seriously can't remember her name and I saw this yesterday) she was struggling with primitive English at the beginning and she was flawless by the end of the movie
Yeah I'm through with you completely. It's established she has quirks with names, and yet is fluent in English (i.e. "I know what Engineering means!")

Why is Sup Forums always filled with people who whine about their own 5 second attention spanss.

Didn't know it existed until it was already screening.

Trailer didn't say anything except explosions and flying ships. Simply slapping Star Trek at the end isn't enough to sell a movie ticket.

>Elba's general see the Federation Humans as race traitors because he won the war for Earth only to have Human sovereignty given to another group of aliens. He wants to destroy the Federation but only so that Humanity is forced to take it's rightful place.

See THAT is where they should've focused the plot. I would've like to have a scene at the beginning showing Edison (Krall) in a battle scene during the Romulan or Xindi showing him as a brave and courageous hero. Have the audience understand his frustration as all the ideals he thought he was fighting for are pushed aside for a "globalist" perspective that he didn't think he was fighting for.

That would've actually been very topical, and would've made the audience somewhat (if not completely) sympathetic to his character.

Just pit the captain against a strong adversary that even leads to Kirk questioning himself and pondering what humanity loses by giving over partial control to alien species in the Federation. Have Elba plead his case to Kirk, and have Kirk have a crisis of faith before reluctantly having to put the old war hero down.

You don't need forced dialogue, shoe-horned additional characters, and swarming aliens. Just a real human story with moral relativism as the central theme.

>Didn't know it existed until it was already screening.
You and many other people I went to see the movie on opening night at 7pm in a huge major 16 theater multiplex. Including me, there were 6 people total in the theater for the movie.

Why are you sperging over a movie.

>It seemed to me (not a star trek fan) to have some of the issues the first two had that the old fans didn't like, as well as a touch of Marvel quippiness that felt out of place

It's the most Star Trek of the reboots by far. The ideals of the Federation are actually relevant to the plot.

>Into Darkness was a god-awful movie that made Nemesis look like Citizen Kane

Probably one of the stupidest things anyone's ever said on this board.

I want to think that that is where the screenplay and script started and it got watered down into what we watched by the executive producers.

Given Spocks barely existing arc about the same concept with Vulcans facing extinction it was clearly in the writers intention to give this message.

I keyed in on your "like a submarine battle" from Wrath because I always thought it would be neat for a film to focus on space combat like that.

Obviously it would have to take some liberties with tech, being that it's extremely hard to stealth into space given the amount of heat they put off just running.

I think it focusing on a small crew manning a small frigate-sized ship that has some sort of heat sinking tech like the Normandy from Mass Effect would be interesting. It is small, but armed with heavy hitting nuclear or whatever missiles, designed to hunt and kill capital ships behind enemy lines.

>post yfw WAAAAAAAAH

this was my exact issue
how to reveal the villain and demonstrate that motivation for action, instead of some shitty reveal at the end that the dumb audience would glance over and make the most incoherent plot drive of a trek movie

glaringly annoying, pegg

I don't know. It was just "good." It felt competent, but I guess most people just aren't wowed by these things anymore. The character arcs are at least there, but not strong.

But it didn't flop

Well, for me personally, while I liked ST09, Into Darkness was too much a WoK rehash with extra pew pew to leave me optimistic about the next film.

Also, the first trailer for this was a Beastie Boys Music video with zero space travel. That made me drop any interest in the film I had.

Urban is the best thing about this series, Pine and Cho are serviceable too but that's it.

That shit where they take off from the cliff was awesome.

Will Spirk ever happen?

Is she dancing to 'Sabotage'?

Sup Forums

>Why did no one care?
Because Star Trek is bland and boring

>suddenly remember that you wanted to see the new star trek yesterday
>check when it's going to be out
>20 july
>wat
>check the cinemas
>last screenings at 4 pm

I literally forgot about this movie. The advertisement was shit. Now I need to wait for torrents.

>The new Jason Bourne movie didn't fare much better and was pretty disappointing.
Nope. That film was a 7/10 for me. Excellent story, excellent acting, excellent end car chase scene (I just wish some of the earlier scenes were less shaky cam otherwise was really good).

No.

Everyone was too distracted by the ghostbusters media nonsense.

That said I say Beyond and thought it was great, much better than piece of shit TFA and I loved star wars and hated Star Trek in the past

>But it didn't flop
$231 million at the box office

It is flop

and yet Ghostbusters made $208.2 million at the box office whilst Star Trek Beyond only made $231.1 million

J U S T

Into Darkness was so fucking bad. I went and saw it opening night, and it sucked so hard I waited til five days ago to have the enthusiasm to see Beyond.

Beyond was very good.

Can someone tell me why people like Star Trek? I never grew up with it but seeing people on a big ship looks pretty boring. Sure they may visit some worlds but the whole idea of the show just doesn't appeal to me.

Both things like Star Wars and Doctor Who offer way more lore and backstory to go on compared to Star Trek

no point trying to make you understand if you're a titanic prole

>Beyond was very good.
I am just waiting for this meme to end. Sure I haven't seen it yet but I actually really enjoyed Into Darkness so it is strange to hear so many people on this site praise a JJ Abram Star Trek film.

You were distracted by the hot Alien chick or something?

>titanic prole
is this some trekky slang?

Does Japan even care about Star Trek? I know their cartoons ripped off a lot of Trek stuff but i've never seen them show any interest to the real stuff

They care about Chris Pine.

They already did show the whole 5 years mission thing.

It's called Star Trek.

>“[Chinese fans] want to escape and to really kind of just enjoy, have fun, laugh and enjoy big action, and I feel like this movie is tailor-made for the Chinese audience,” said Lin.
HAH isn't it funny how he says "big action".

He basically just summed up Hollywood and what Hollywood films mainly consist of.

>"HUR DURR MOVIE MUST CONTAIN LOT OF ACTION TO SELL"

trektoday.com/content/2016/08/star-trek-beyond-in-china/

The only good parts of the movie were

1) White girl made my dick diamonds
2) The ending scene where they show the ship being constructed

>The power of music was a legitimately entertaining and funny part.
I swear Abrams will use any excuse to shoehorn shitty jewish "culture".

What the fuck, how much did the record company get for this?

This film was funded by Alibaba, so I'm not surprised.

Oh jessu, you've never heard of "slash" have you?

>it was a good movie

No, no it wasn't. The plot and pacing was boring, the dialogue sucked ass (stick to comedy mr pegg). Krall sucked too.

>girl just figures out that the bad guy is idris elba through complete bullshit
>The enemy have over billion ships but we're only shown that they have one little village
>Completely forgot they had to make the bad guys lose so what if we play rock music and they all explode for no reason idklol :D

The start was solid enough in fairness