What does Sup Forums think of King of the Hill?

What does Sup Forums think of King of the Hill?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=EJH5YEJ9iLc
youtube.com/watch?v=3Osh-KYy4Cw
youtube.com/watch?v=jwfYTSdJ7kY
youtube.com/watch?v=C4YEJcR0-EE
youtube.com/watch?v=NGiE0kqe7N8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

one of my favorite animated shows of all time. Its a subtle cartoon that doesnt focus so much on scene by scene humor as it does one long joke that builds up throughout its episodes. For some people it might seem really stupid and hank is jsut a dumb narrow minded redne3ck, but sticking with it or living in rural areas like Arlen Tx, you find he's very normal and even lets situations change his personality and opinions of things

also, Bill is an incredibly underrated character

youtube.com/watch?v=EJH5YEJ9iLc

It's on another level if you ever lived in the area is was based on. I think every character on the show was based on somebody the writers knew.

its good

Absolutely wonderful.

Possesses a playful gentle sort of humour that is sorely lacking in most animated sitcoms these days.
It's not zany and it isn't edgy but it sure is comfy I tell ya hwhat.

youtube.com/watch?v=3Osh-KYy4Cw

The best animated show of all time.

I can re-watch the series over and over and never get tired of it. Has a more subtle humor than mot animated series, and it just gets better the more you understand the characters.

Dusty old bones!

Full of green dust!

You say subtle, but you wouldn't know subtlety if it made a joke at your expense. It aired on FOX for fucks sake, this isn't any deeper than Beavis and Butt-Head or Arrested Development. If you think satire is subtle then you need to expand your horizons.

Fantastic show. Seems like it splits it's audience into three groups. 1) People that "don't get it" and think it sucks 2) People that didnt' get it as a kid but appreciate it as an adult 3) people that absolutely love it and is one of their favorite shows.

My favorite part is that the writers highlight idiocy in both the traditional and progressive americas. Rarely does a show take such an objective point of view.

I'm not even from america, nor ever lived in a rural area, but arlen seems so alive and real.

Subtle might be the incorrect term. But I can still see what they meant

Its not hard to pick up on KOTH's comedy but its just a much quieter low key style of humour in comparison to its animated contemporaries and anything else that's come out recently.

You're a shitter.
It is subtle. You don't have to get all of its jokes to enjoy it.

It's the best anime of all time

Why do people have a problem with lucky?

he's a fucking idiot, and not in the way bill or dale are built as. His entire character is based around slipping on piss and making money off it, then marrying luanne, except instead of doing literally anything to improve her life or make them stop being white trash, he just knocks her up and makes every scene with luanne even trashier

Hank does so much specifically for lucky to become a better person, and he doesnt learn anything form it

GOAT.

I and a friend both belong to the second group from different view points. As a kid, I always thought it was just making fun of conservatives, and he thought it was too sincere.

>Looks both ways
>There's a camera literally in front of her

no there isnt

its great. its one of the few shows where the comedy is clever enough not to rely on gratuitous violence and mean spirited jabs.

same here. as a kid (texan), i quickly dismissed it as making fun of texans. only in college did i actually see it's really celebrating texans.

he's really dumb, but you can't really blame a person for the hand they were dealt. he is an honorable man, sincere, and genuinely wants & tries to do the right thing.

Dale is best koth.

>starts his own talk radio show
>do we have any concrete evidence that Hawaii ACTUALLY exists?

As a Texan, it's the best representation of Texas I have ever seen. You can tell Mike Judge grew up here. Hank Hill is just like my dad and everyone else around here's dad.

I liked it growing up, but I didn't fully appreciate it until I was in my late teens. I live in Alberta (Canada's Texas - chock full of oil, cattle and rednecks), and I was pretty impressed over how close to home it hit, despite being based in a state so far away from my own province.

It's probably the best of all the animated shows. Classic South Park is the only other cartoon that comes close to that level, and even then it doesn't quite reach the heights of KotH.

Was it really cancelled so Fox could make room for the Cleveland Show? That's what I remember hearing in high school, and I was fucking outraged.

>that episode where the firehouse burns down
>goes to each character's POV
>from Boomhauer's POV he speaks completely clear & it's everyone else who speaks mumbling nonsense

I like it.

I wish Adult Swim went back to showing an hour of it and just end Cleveland Show, goddamnit.

thank you, i love this fucking video

Cleveland Show is so awful. Cut n paste formula with kneegrows

Out of all of that I'm mad what they did to Luanne as the seasons went on.

She started out as a really good mechanic that Hank would outright leave his truck to her with no supervision and as the seasons progressed you realized how much that truck meant to him.

Then out of nowhere Luanne became a dumbass trailer park bitch that couldn't pass community college or beauty school.

>Bills POV has him fatter and completely bald because he hates himself

deepest

fucking

lore

>Boomhauer gets used by that hot chick, falls in love
>visits his grandma
>"BAAA! Aksmfjxksn akdmfndksb!"
>"Dang ol', WHAT, meemaw?"
>*puts dentures in* "Jamsjfjfndj! Fjsiemdjx aiskxndhsk!"
>"Ohhhh, wellthanksmeemaw,youtooman!"

Never really watched it all that much but a Mike Judge show neutered for broadcast tv just always seemed like a retarded idea.

The redneck 'culture' of celebrating and embellishing simplicity is perfect for parody and insight but King of the Hill just comes off as for rednecks by rednecks.

That kind of irked me too. I love Luanne, she's just so naive and cute, but having Hank give her his truck to work on like that shows a completely different side of their relationship that they never expanded on.

The best episodes of KOTH have a better handle on the characters and writing than the best episodes of The Simpsons

>principle moss: sorry Im late, took longer than I thought to get all the eggs off my car
>Dale: sorry Im late, took longer than I thought to egg Moss's car

Mike Judge grew up in New Mexico.

Nah it just ended its run after ratings dropped below the cancel line. It had 12 seasons and for a modern tv show thats incredible.

See
2nd paragraph.

It takes an oddly neutral stance on the subject. You've got wimpy/beaurocratic/know it all left wingers, total idiot/ignorant/redneck right wingers, and everything in between.

Ah k, well that makes me feel a bit better. I tried to watch an episode of the Cleveland Show, got about ten minutes in and had to turn it off. Literally just Family Guy with black people and a bear instead of Brian.

It's because they changed her character.
She fixes Hank's truck in ep1. She's implied to be smart, independent, and useful. They decided a dumb useless bimbo would be better for TV.

This is my favorite King of the Hill moment: youtube.com/watch?v=jwfYTSdJ7kY

>Was it really cancelled so Fox could make room for the Cleveland Show? That's what I remember hearing in high school, and I was fucking outraged.

Not true but the Silver Surfer animated series got cancelled for Xmen evolution, now that's a fucking outrage.

The turning point of the show from great to not so good/shit is a very clear line, not at all like The Simpsons.
It's the final episode of the 7th Season, Witches of East Arlen, great episode. After that, season 8 begins with Patch Boomhaur, which is known for a "characters immediately turn on a friend they've known for the entire series to believe someone they just met" plotline. It's when the show started focusing on the celebrity guest voice of the week. Also Season 8 introduced Lucky.

there were still a whole lot of good episodes after that point tho

I really like the bear though.

>It's when the show started focusing on the celebrity guest voice of the wee

what in the literal fuck are you talking about. John Goodman voiced an animal control guy in one of the later episodes, and nobody focused on him being john goodman

This was the only TV show where I was thoroughly satisfied with ending.

There are tons of guest stars in season 7, and the entire season is a gold mine. I think I'll have to disagree with you, friend.

this ep was on like 2 days ago

Wasn't there more episodes where she was a mechanic? I remember an episode where she had to order parts for him and Hank said it was fine.

I agree though that they changed her character to being more pathetic. I mean it seemed like she finally came around during that room mate episode where she finally put her foot down and they all left and she had her pool. Then the next thing you know she's with Lucky and back to being a redneck

No, it was a clear cut change.
Ep 1 her brain works.
Next time she's highlighted, she's a potatohead.
And yes she did finally come into her own in that ep, but when she got with Lucky, she didn't become a redneck, she became white trash. She was a redneck in Ep1.

KotH at its best is better than Simpsons at its best.

youtube.com/watch?v=C4YEJcR0-EE

You know you're a king of the hill fan when you can clearly understand boomhauer.

Oh. Well shit.

It's not anywhere near as funny. Stop kidding yourself.

I see your favorite scene and raise you mine: youtube.com/watch?v=NGiE0kqe7N8

I love this show. It makes me feel so happy inside.

As long as it's not an "antagonistic hippy / redneck / general asshole challenges Hank episode."

That, and I could never into Peggy episodes. They were so cringy and frustrating.

I'd have to say the worst episode is the Strickland Facebook one.

Last seasons were garbage.

I bet you like Family Guy too

Nor does it try to be.

The Trip Larsen episode was so weird. Pigmalion I think it's called. It's a Halloween special, so I kind of write it off as a 'treehouse of horror', but Peggy and Luanne watch Michael Keaton's character get electrocuted, stabbed, chopped up, mulched and made into sausages on a conveyor belt.

The part where he turns around to face the chopping blade, holds his hands out and goes "Mom, dad... I'm coming home" was really fucking twisted for KotH.

When my friend & I were marathoning our first watchthrough of KOTH, we'd try to guess the end-credits quote. There's always one line from the episode they play after the credits roll. Got the point we could nail it 30-40% of the time.

He didn't say funny

That's the one where he lost his (daughter?) and started making Luanne his replacement right?

Didn't he get electrocuted and snapped back into reality? But then he was too close to the blade that he died?

Top 5 KOTH episodes go:

1. Wings of the Dope
2. Naked Ambition
3. Death of a Propane Salesman
4. Pretty, Pretty Dresses
5. A Firefightin' We Will Go

It's pretty great.

No, he wants her to become the living embodiment of the lederhosen lass mascot on the package of his family's sausage brand, with some other aryan dude as the male mascot and Keaton as their pig son.

I hope you brought your appetites, because I made spa-Peggy and meatballs! My trick is just the right amount of sugar and grated parmigiana cheese. I mean no one else does that.

This is why I come to Sup Forums.

Unffff

Bros sometimes I think I really hate Peggy. If she were a flavor she would be black licorice. Just has literally no appeal to me. She doesn't necessarily ruin the show for me but I just fucking don't enjoy her and never have. I totally "get" her character too.

she is supposed to be an annoyance, she is not written to be "enjoyed"

Perfect animated series desu.

skettifactory

I still pop in from time to time on cytube now that instasynch is R.I.P.

>Bobby looks exactly like young Bill
>He gives hik his family barbacue sauce recipie
>Hank has a narrow urethra
>Bill has a stronger bond eith Bobby than anyone oustide the Hill family
>they get along better than most people
BOBBY IS BILL'S SOM CONFIRMED

What was your favorite post-credits snippet?

Alabaster!

hick shit

>I'd have to say the worst episode is the Strickland Facebook one.

it was Myspace I don't think my 40,000 friends would appreciate you saying that

Get out of my country faggot. Assuming you're American.

He says the most insightful shit and I think sometimes they just nod their heads so he doesn't repeat himself and ruin the impact.

I still think Dale is best character and I'm pissed they didn't actually bury Cotton like in his wishes considering Peggy actually did something if use to get him the grave.

The foot episode was pretty good

inb4 billdozer

pretty much any bobby episode is god tier

1. Escape From Party Island
2. Kidney Boy and Hamster Girl
3. Get Your Freak Off
4. Are You There God It's Me, Margaret Hill
5. Bobby Goes Nuts

First episode Bobby manipulates Hank to get whatever he wants and this fucking impression is funny as fuck.

>THAT'S MY BOY HE AIN'T MUCH BUT HE'S ALL I GOT

DUSTY OLD BOARD!
>FULL OF GREEN TEXT!

>Yip diddle oat-ten-tot-ten ooh wacka wacka choten!

>DANG IT CALEB

TNA for days.

>you will never be kicked in the ding-dong by donna

GAT DANGIT

Donna was annoying, now Debbie was my girl.

The problem with it is, sometimes the one running joke pays off, and sometimes it doesn't.