The new 'Ben-Hur' has the most dismal box office opening of any blockbuster this summer

>It looks like that faith-based audience, which in the past has brought profits to many Christian-focused titles over the years (or at least made them break even), did not come through for Paramount's $100-million-budgeted retelling of "Ben-Hur."

>The swords-and-sandals epic that follows a Jewish prince's journey for revenge (and in this rendition of the Lew Wallace novel, with much larger Jesus subplot), took in a measly $11.4 million, according to Variety.

>For comparison, Paramount's last religious-focused project, 2014's "Noah," opened with $43.7 million and went on to make $362.6 million worldwide.
businessinsider.com/ben-hur-box-office-2016-8

How is it even possible that Holywood hasn't gone under yet?

Jews keep it afloat to keep bringing back Holocaust movies every 10 years.

executives apparently downplayed the religious element present in the original movie, a sure recipe for disaster when religious revelation was the point of the first one

sword-and-sandal epics like fall of the roman empire, ben-hur, etc. go through remakes pretty frequently, but i think this flop will signal the end of the genre for another few decades or so

>Everyone politely ignores shitty ideas for remakes
>Shit like Robocop, Total Recall, Ben-Hur, Point Break quietly bomb with no-one really giving a shit
>Ghostbusters gets shitloads of publicity due to "MUH IDENTITY ISSUES"
>Reboot bombs and everyone makes a big deal out of it

I only heard this remake existed yesterday because of a segment on fox news. I wonder how big the marketing budget was.

The responses to this topic by the people above this one are typical of major samefaggory. The movie was destined to fail. Remaking a masterpiece like Ben Hur was stupidity at its highest ebb. It has nothing to do with any religious bullshit. The trailer was horrifically bad.

no they didn't downplay the religious element. the movie wasn't that bad, it didn't deserve to flop like this.

I might go see it only because there is nothing else worth seeing.

so this movie is basically Ben-Hur minus religious stuff and trying to copy The 300 style?

I would rather just rewatch HBO Spartacus.

>measly $11.4 million

That's embarrassing.

Fall of the Roman Empire, which was an ignored masterpiece set in the same genre, was remade into Gladiator, and that did remarkably well. I imagine Paramount executives thought to themselves "wow, imagine how well it will do if it has a name behind it!"

Really? Good to know.

go watch kubo senpai

NO.

it had jesus in it and played a major part in the plot and stuff. the ending was changed into a happy one

>Remake Ben fucking Hur
>Downplay the religious aspects
Literally why
If they wanted to make another Clash of the Titans with a bunch of no name limey fucks wearing sack cloth and fucking around in an old desert, why didn't they just do that

>spend over 100 million remaking a classic
>don't put any money into the advertising budget

I don't get it

No wonder I've never heard of this movie before this post.

They probably knew it sucked, decided they didn't want to sink much more money into it and sent it out to die

again, it DID NOT downplay the religious aspects. it was there and played a big part. jesus was jesus,

There's a new Ben-hur?

>Morgan Freeman didn't even bother using an accent

I laughed through this entire piece of shit

War Dogs has It Ain't Me in it (plus it's a decent American Dream rise-and-fall story with a lot of Scarface references), and I hear Kubo's fucking incredible. Seeing the latter first thing in the AM.

i didn't even know it was coming out until I saw the trailer during star trek.