Star Wars Prequels

Now that everyone and their mother has seen The Force Awakens, is Sup Forums ready to admit that they look back on the prequels positively?

I recently watched all the Star Wars movies (including TFA) and found myself liking the prequels a lot more than I thought I would.

Hell to be honest I actually enjoyed them as much as the 4-6.

I still like the over-choreographed lightsaber fights more than the blunt stupid swinging everyone else seems to love. These are warriors that predict the future to the point where they can knock bullets out of the air with thin saber-like sticks. Of course they're going to go with overly complex moves while fighting!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=X66jntR0MVE
youtube.com/watch?v=_2UNDRh3Oy0
youtube.com/watch?v=PN_CP4SuoTU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Fuck the prequels. Force awakens is shit, but that doesn't make the prequels any better.

Fuck them.

Fuck them hard.

No.

Memes aside TFA is so much better than the Prequels its ridiculous. The humor and plot may not have been appealing to everyone, but at the very least they nailed the tone of the originals that the prequels totally fucked up.

Excited for ep viii.

I watched them before and after VII and they were garbage both times.
The only people who like them are people who are nostalgic for them because they were the first Star Wars movies they saw which is ironically the reason why they shit on TFA.
George Lucas is a garbage man who got lucky because he was the first guy to take all of his manchildren influences and put them in a movie, with which he had help from friends.

The only thinkable drawback I have to the prequels is Jar Jar, and considering 4-6 had ewoks and more C3PO than your nostalgia will let you remember, I call that a pretty even trade.

Hell they even (essentially) wrote Jar Jar out after the first movie.

>Memes aside TFA is so much better than the Prequels its ridiculous.
nice meme

My problems are not exactly with the prequels themselves, of course they are much worse in quality than the original trilogy, but they are below avearage at worst. What i really hate about the prequels is what they did to the original trilogy. They basically took the three original movies, and took a big smelly CGI shit on them.

What exactly is it that makes people so hard for the older movies?

>shit-tier acting, Luke, Leia, and even Solo to some extent was barely passable
>great visuals for it's time that, like most movie-effects, have aged like shit (this isn't some big ploy for why the newer or older SWs are better, just an indication that these movies didn't get around this problem)
>skirmishes were far smaller and had far less interesting objective-based things going on than the prequels
>incredibly little sword-fighting creativity, weren't these suppose to be space samurai with magic?

>It's so dense
Nice counter-meme

I honestly don't understand what that image is suppose to convey to me. That there is a lot less going on in TFA, and this somehow makes the scene better?

In E3 I get a much better sense of a huge battle going on than I ever do in E7.

Less is more rarely works when you want to portray the hectic chaos of war.

Empire Strikes Back Remastered version (apart from the new Sheev) is 100% better than the original version. Cloud City looks brilliant

>honestly don't understand what that image is suppose to convey to me.
Episode 3 had better CGI in parts than 7.

The Starkiller base has shit tier CGI

>great visuals for it's time that, like most movie-effects, have aged like shit (this isn't some big ploy for why the newer or older SWs are better, just an indication that these movies didn't get around this problem)
>skirmishes were far smaller and had far less interesting objective-based things going on than the prequels
>incredibly little sword-fighting creativity, weren't these suppose to be space samurai with magic?

Prequelbabbies are fucking delusional.

How does me seeing one ship shoot on one other ship somehow better convey a feeling of excitement than watching many ships shoot on many other ships?

Both the prequels and TFA were bad. The prequels killed star wars though. You can't ruin was is already dead.

I expected something on the level of at least ROTJ with the prequels. I expected nothing from TFA.

TFA is bland, rehashed and boring. The prequels were fucking offensive and seemed like they were intentionally trying to ruin the IP. The prequels managed that horrendous sweetspot where the movie is way too terrible to get any enjoyment out of it, but still not bad enough to be entertained by the awfulness.

everyone who likes and defends the prequels in any kind of serious way has autism. they should just screen the phantom menace for people as a way to diagnose spergs

I watched every single Star Wars movie in theaters opening week and I still consider all the first 6 movies average at best. But I won't rank the newer ones as worse than the older ones, but I am never going to understand why the older are somehow masterpieces in fanboy eyes while the newer are garbage. They were both riddled with flaws and only nostalgia excuses that.

4>5>6>1>2>3>7

You millennial diaper fillers will never understand the utter disappointment of seeing episode one opening night. The nonsensical title crawl, the boring and totally baffling opening scene, hearing Jar Jar for the first time, the utterly sinking feeling you get in the pit of your stomach when the tattooine scenes and baby anakin are happening in front of you, the mind numbing boredom of the Coruscant scenes, baby anakin destroying a Space station and going "woo-hoo!", an entire army of lifeless jar jar clones fighting lifeless droids in a field, the total lack of feeling when qui gon and Darth maul die, the feeling of actual rape as the credits roll.

FUCK THE FUCKING PREQUELS!

All I see in these threads are people saying "4, 5 and 6 were better because I liked them more".

Why?

Like, why exactly are they better? They weren't any better written or acted, and the overarching stories aren't vastly superior in any trilogy-set.

Asking as someone who doesn't obsess much over this series, what exactly ARE the reasons the prequels are considered so much worse than the old movies?

The only part I found a little silly in the prequels that the older ones fixed was the oddly choreographed fighting, but they're suppose to be space wizards with magic swords anyway so why's that such a far reach?

As a millenial that saw it day 1 in theaters (in fact I made the local front page paper, and the radio for waiting in line) I can assure you that Ep. 7 made me appreciate the prequels again.

>boring and totally baffling opening scene

In the old movies an ambassador is caught off guard and overpowered by a clearly superior military force, but manages to send off some droids through the dumbest plot convenience ever.

In the prequel movies, a pair of ambassadors are caught off guard and overpowered by a clearly superior military force, but manage to escape through the dumbest plot convenience ever.

>the total lack of feeling when qui gon and Darth maul die
I'm sorry, did you cry dearly at the end of 5 when Luke lost his hand?

Exactly. You were fed shit sandwiches since birth. You have a taste for pure, unfiltered shit. Only hot, steaming diarrhea gushing out of George Lucas' fat ass cheeks directly into your mouth will ever slayer your thirst.

You're an idiot and you were raised on idiotic shit movies like the prequels. You should sue Lucas for causing you brain damage.

I never hated the prequels, but there again I never LOVED the series either, and I don't live or die on whether or not this line of films do well or not. I just considered them all solid popcorn films and the prequels didn't do any worse than the original sin that regard.

NO sir, I was raised on the original trilogy, which I discovered when I was 6.

I was a HUGE stat wars fan before the prequels even came out (when I was 12).

First one I saw was Jedi, and it blew my mind.

Also
>insults millennials
>post a pic of a millennial as a reaction
Is irony lost on those over 35?

An escape pod it as idiotic as splitting up onto separate military drop ships while somehow remaining completely undetected despite being the only organic lifeforms on board?

So feeling something like shock is only conveyed through crying? Did you know the lack of empathy or being able to relate to other people's pain or struggles is a sign of autism?

>laser swords and hokey religions
>space ships fight like its earth and its the age of sail

Concluding that an escape pod is not worth destroying because "LOL!" after Vader has told the crew to look for two droids is a lot stupider than splitting up to hide. Hiding is not something easily done in groups, and has a much higher chance of working if you only have to worry about one person being seen or heard.

What disappointment? I loved Phantom Menace in the theaters.

How someone could be exposed to the OT as you claim and have any love for the PT is just unthinkable. I was 14 when Episode one wasn't released any even as a dumb ass Teenage fanboy I knew it was fucking trash. It killed my love of Star Wars and I went from obsessively collecting Star Wars merch to fucking ZERO. I never owned a single prequel related item.

I just realized I'm wearing a Star Wars shirt right now.

>I cannot feel desired emotion from a specific scene in e1
>he cannot feel desire emotion from specific scene in e5
>imply he has autism

4-6 apologists are the dumbest crowd on the internet.

Episode Three stands up to the original trilogy, to the point that I personally believe it is better than episode 6.

Does anybody agree with me?

They didn't know about the droids until after the pod was launched. Christ, how hard is it to watch and understand a movie about space wizards?

From one millennial to another, all Im saying is episode 7 actually made me appreciate the prequels a little bit.

I watched them at the movies at enjoyed them.

Left the cinema feeling completely confused, but still enjoyed it.

The Starkiller reminds me of a giant space Goatse here

>someone else sees it too
Thank you. I thought I was mad. Giant Space Anus.

>better than Return of the Jedi

Not in a million years. Jabbas palace, death of yoda, forest moon of endor....can't beat that.

It had as much emotional impact in the final fight as Luke vs Vader IMO, but the apologists will tell us we're wrong.

In 4-6 they spent 2 lines explaining that Luke needed to convert Vader back to the good side for reasons.

In the prequels they detailed how Obi found little Skywalker a little annoying at first, to accepting him to mentoring him to being his friend to being his brother.

The fight between them was alot more emotional than one shock-reveal and a last-second change of heart on Vader's part.

Some definitions claim 1985 is the last of Gen X and 1986 is first of millennials, tho

So if he was 14 when TPM came out, but had his birthday later that year, he could technically not be a millennial

Not him, but the fact that they let the pods go at all is a fucking huuuge plot hole and a mistake no one in the military catching a rebel-ship would have made.

>Jabbas palace, death of yoda

fucking YAWN

ROTS shits all over ROTJ, you OT faggots just can't bear to say anything good about the prequels

For the record, I was born in 84.

The force did it.

There, happy now?

They scanned it and said there were no lifeforms and reasoned it shorted out. It's not a plot hole.

How about they just shot it and there wasn't a movie?

Yeah, they are pretty close in terms of quality I guess. I just think that Episode 3 should have it's own place separate from 1&2 (which were both mediocre). Episode 3 was unfairly blasted by fans simply because it followed those movies; it was a really great fucking movie and I think it has stood the test of time.

Even if VII was the worst movie ever made, it wouldn't make the shitquels better.

Every fucking thing was CG, shitty overblown CG saber fights, III had laughably bad dialog, the events of the shitquels don't even reconcile themselves with the OT other than there is now an empire, pacing was retarded, as were the rules and motivations of almost everyone.

About the only thing the shitquels have going for them is some of the designs.

Actually I like the prequels. I watched them at the movies and enjoyed them. I especially liked the fight between yoda and the emperor.

But the question was a matter of comparison, and the Return of the Jedi is a much better film than Revenge of the Sith.

Maybe you are the one who can't bear to say anything positive...about Return of the Jedi.

>Jabba's Palace
>yawn
Holy shit, you're a pleb.

RotS fucking sucks. Obi Wan riding that giant lizard was retarded enough to dismiss it completely.

>The force did it.
Partially. Fuck they've pulled weirder shit than that out of their hat with this force-shit. Remember that scene in Phantom, early on where they activate force-sprint to get away from the Destroyer Droids early on and that power is never seen again? That was a weird scene. Anyway them letting the pod go still makes as much sense as the Jedi sneaking on board a vessel each and meeting on Naboo.

It's the dumbest fucking plot-hole in existence. There exist tons of tons of robots and AI-controlled machines in this universe. Leia could have thrown a USB stick in one of the shuttles and sent if off without problem. In a universe where a vast majority of systems are or are operated by machines, scouting for life-forms should not be a viable search method.

>But the question was a matter of comparison, and the Return of the Jedi is a much better film than Revenge of the Sith.

That's what you think

>RotS fucking sucks.
ROTS has tons more emotion and stakes than ROTJ. And it doesn't have any fucking teddy bears, plinkett drone

The actual joke is that humans in Star Wars don't consider robots people.

>it had laughably bad dialog
youtube.com/watch?v=X66jntR0MVE

Every SW movie has this, but everyone's willing to look the other way with 4-6 apparently.

>It's treason then
>blggahhaaaaaaaa
>she's given up the will to live
>even the younglings?
>I have the high ground

also
>Yoda v Sheev
>long as videogame style fight between Anikin and Ben

yeah ROTS is patrician

>Obi Wan riding that giant lizard was retarded enough to dismiss it completely.
What about Luke and Han riding those space lamas in Empire Strikes Back?

How is that bad?

Maybe the acting, but the dialog isn't comical.

He comes across as a whiny teenager, which is what he is supposed to be at the start of his journey.

That happened in the 80s, when it was cool to be uncool.

That is was fucking practical. It had a soul and feeling behind it.

Are you serious right now? That's fucking 4th-grader levels of awful right there.

A whiny teenager wouldn't even bothered to explain who he was visiting or why, and definitely not bring it up in such a silly context.

This is such a fucking pathetic excuse use by apologists like yourself. The only reason it had "soul and feeling" was because it managed to trick your suspension of disbelief at time of watching, which the prequels failed to do because you were older.

That's retarded reasoning. CGI artists care about their craft too.

>videogame

LOL I SAW PLINKETT TOO

yeah, no nice try

They weren't riding them around a cave at speeds fast enough to keep up with Grevious's equally retarded Unicycle and swinging lightsabers. It looked like he was imposed onto a iguana.

Because it looks retarded. Things made like 30 years later should look better, not worse.

The effects in the OT probably blew people away in the theaters back in the 70s and 80s. Effects in the II and III made people laugh. It also aged horribly.

>equally retarded Unicycle
How rude, that thing was cool.

>implying people needed a youtuber to tell them the shitquels were bad
>implying people over 15 liked them when they were released

Yeah Plinket made people hate the prequels he made Lucas give up Star Wars.
Do retards actually believe this?

>In the prequels they detailed how Obi found little Skywalker a little annoying at first, to accepting him to mentoring him to being his friend to being his brother.
detailed by a couple throwaway lines, sure user
'show dont tell' ever heard of it

Jesus Christ, I learned just today from a co-worker that the fake queen of Naboo is Keira Knightley.

What the fuck.

you think she puts that on her resume or is just relieved not many people know

I don't know, I would put it on my resume at the start because anything's better than nothing and Star Wars is still a big name. I'd probably not include the role I played though, considering she's essentially a throw-away in the movie.

Remove Jar Jar, Anikin (pod race, Jesus shit, Jedi rules about only training infants) and I is probably the best of the prequels, and really the only good one.
It had so much wasted potential.

>remove Anakin
How the hell would this even work as a movie then? The entire point of the movie was to introduce Anni, and possibly to show Anni's first encounter with Obi Wan.

Wait what?

The podrace alone is already better directed than anything inTFA.

Best not to do it at all then fail miserably.
Not to mention Anikin had no point other than to show he was naturally good at everything and kind of Jesus.
Also that he built C3-PO.

Without changing the story they could have just ended the movie with Ben being assigned Anakin with the Death of Jin.
Closing on Anakin's face, since the audience knows what is going to happen in the end.

Not to mention Ben and Anikin barely interact in the whole movie. Ainkin probably has more dialog with Jar-Jar.

Well, now I can see why you actually enjoy those movies.

You know nothing about cinematography. The pod race is boringly shot, it's a bunch of side angle pans to the right with the occasional close up reaction shot.

>it's a bunch of side angle pans to the right with the occasional close up reaction shot.
Like I said, better directed than anything inTFA.

'the fuck are you talking about, it had CG and explosions. Also funny aliens.
My favorite was the announcers.

A alien, with TWO heads? Come on, that was great.

The meme tracking shot that simultaneously follows Poe shooting down 10 x wings and Finn fighting on the ground is more impressive than anything in the prequels. It required actual camerawork and actors, the pod race was 97% digital yet STILL is sterile and boringly shot despite not being constrained by having a real camera

Is TFA worth watching? I'm a huge star wars fan read over 100 off the books but I'm afraid this movie will ruin the fond memories I have of star wars

the scenery and atmosphere were really well done.

the plot, i mean, its hard to convert mythology to movies, because mythologies are kind of meant to be left to the imagination, and as a result naturally have a lot of plot holes people dont notice.

its easier to say "there was a great jedi anakin skywalker, who was turned to the darkside. he killed all his brothers, but would one day redeem himself, by killing the lord of darkness himself."

then to actually describe why the fuck anakin fell in the first place, give him a human face, and make 9 hours worth of movies out of "anakin skywalker turned to the darkside". because thats really what the trilogy was, in fan's eyes, just a big excuse to show why anakin fell to the darkside.

and you have this other shit going on, like jar jar, and jabba fett, mace window killing random clones... and its like, none of this is moving the plot forward, or has to do with why we wanted to see these movies.

this was all supposed to be these subplots, and padding that were going to culminate in this great experience of anakins turning, when, really, you could just watch the revenge of the sith, and have the same, or a better, experience than someone who didnt see the two other prequels.

because in episode 1 and 2, it was supposed to build up the relationships. but instead it just makes you confused, because hayden and portman are both autistic and have zero chemistry, and nothing in common, and it just makes you think anakin is kind of an asshole that was like, molested by padme when he was a teenager. and obi wan and anakin also have no chemistry. not to mention the clone wars and android wars have like, no effect on anakin psychologically, hes the same asshole before and after.

if anything the prequels just make you think, the reason anakin turned to the dark side is he was a dick, and he just did whatever he wanted, like a fucking dick. which could have been done in just revenge of the sith alone.

Jesus Christ, if HUNDREDS of fan fiction tier books didn't kill them, TFA won't either.

TFA is great but if you're an EUfag it might ruin the fond memories of doing your book reports on the legacy of the force and Republic commando series

lol I actually did used to do book reports on the new jedi order series back in sixth grade for extra credit, spot on

I was in the 5th grade with episode I came out, so my first Star Wars was the OT, and I've always preferred them to the prequels. I liked I when it first came out, but when II and III were released I was old enough to know they were garbage.
For me VII was OK, it was weak but much better than I-III.

If you grew up with the prequels, then you might not like VII. It's much closer to the feel of OT, in that in many ways it shamelessly copies. So, while its hardly original, its not as painfully bad. But again, there's no massive CG fights and I don't think anyone does a double backflip in the middle of a duel.

Also it killed the EU, so if you were into that, then tough shit.

Thank you for your responce I appreciate it, I think I'll wait and watch rogue one first and see how I like that.

I rebel

Watch it.
Despite a lot of people here saying it's bad, it's quite good. It's as good as ROTJ (episode VI).

I was just like you, a big fan of the EU, but I loved TFA.

Just watch it two, three times, and you'll love it. You might not like it the first time, as it's pacing is very uncommon for a Star Wars movie (it's really fast, and you won't see the time pass)

>It's much closer to the feel of OT
How is that even possible when Lucas didn't write or direct it or oversee the creative process in any way? OT and VII aren't alike in filmic or even tonal terms. What VII does is lift bits of plot and imagery from IV but the presentation is completely different, and presentation is what matters.

And don't even start with that "B-but Lucas didn't actually make the OT!" horseshit.

Haha so EPIC :D

Upvoted

youtube.com/watch?v=_2UNDRh3Oy0

remove the OMG STAR WARS hype that the prequels and tfa had and what are you left with.

tfa is a half decent, not great, not awful action blockbuster.

the prequels are just bad films in all sorts of ways, mostly in script and directing, there are legitimately good actors in a lot of roles but just have nothing to work with.

V>IV>VII>VI>III>I>II

This is correct

You can swap V with IV and I with II and still get a good ranking.

youtube.com/watch?v=PN_CP4SuoTU
>tie fighter scene
>speed metal starts playin'

This

>>>/swco/

I think you got lost on the way friendo