After how many listens should I give up on an album I'm not feeling?

After how many listens should I give up on an album I'm not feeling?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mere-exposure_effect
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Whats the context?

Depends on what makes you not feel it. If I listen to something and I think its too over produced, vapid, or commercial I wont give it another listen. If something is vaguely boring, I'll give it another listen, since I will probably discover more on repeated listens. If something is "challenging", or just different from what I'm used to, I'll give it some more listens and see if I warm up to it. In most cases, I do.

>when should I stop listening to music I don't like

Sincerely it should only take you one full listen without any breaks, 2 is the maximum it should be and any more its best to find another hobby.

Trout Mask Replica = 15

What's the album?

three listens are enough, after that you're just forcing yourself to enjoy it.

about 4-5 times

Yeah wtf, if I'm bored or not enjoying an album halfway through I turn it off.

depends on the album and how much you actually enjoyed it

half

1. One listen. If nothing about catches your ear or interests you enough to bother with a second listen, then just rate it properly and then be done.

Also this
And this

Enormous pleb

Leave it to rot in your library after the first listen, if you happen to listen and like it later, so be it. Don't force it unless it's a notoriously difficult album/genre. For example, I forced myself to listen to harsh noise until I liked it, and now it's probably my favorite genre.

>I forced myself to like noise

Sup Forums in a nutshell

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mere-exposure_effect

You should listen to a track or two off of it and then decide if it's actually worth listening to. Then you give it one full listen to see if it's actually good.

Sometimes it feels like one listen isn't quite enough and then you listen another time.

Only fucking idiots waste their lives listening to albums that they're not feeling multiple times.

Things that can take longer to understand and apprieciate can be more rewarding and open your horizons. Just because you hate something now, you may be on a late car ride on a quiet night and a song that you hated before suddenly makes more sense and you notice layers you'd missed in your already turned off state.

if i'm feeling an album on first play then i always get bored after a few listens

depends on how you feel, do you have doubts about it? If you have no doubts, don't listen anymore. If you think you might get hooked, keep listening. It took me more than 10 listens to "get" Kind of Blue when I first started listening to jazz. Now I think it's awesome. I did it because I knew I would start to enjoy it eventually, I could tell.

this is why people like top 40 music

This if you're really confident in your taste.
This if you just want to make sure

And you can always wait several months-year(s) because tastes evolve and maybe you just weren't ready yet.

nope, the best albums are the ones that grow on you. If you enjoy it straight away, it's gonna get boring quick and it won't be a classic for you. No time for it to grow on you = no attachment

I bought Anthrax: Among the Living in September, and didn't really get it until April. Give it time