You know how it is like to read anything from Semitic scripts (Arabic or Hebrew for example)? i will show you:

you know how it is like to read anything from Semitic scripts (Arabic or Hebrew for example)? i will show you:

sample from en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_alphabet

Th hstry f lphbtc wrtng gs bck t th cnsnntl wrtng systm sd fr Smtc lnggs n th Lvnt n th 2nd mllnnm BC. Mst r nrly ll lphbtc scrpts sd thrght th wrld tdy ltmtly g bck t ths Smtc prt-lphbt. ts frst rgns cn b trcd bck t Prt-Sntc scrpt dvlpd n ncnt gypt t rprsnt th lngg f Smtc-spkng wrkrs n gypt. Ths scrpt ws prtly nflncd by th ldr gyptn hrtc, crsv scrpt rltd t gyptn hrglyphs.
we dont have vowels in our scripts. we tell how words are pronounced by adding some marks like dashes or dots from above or below or the side of the letter. mostly in news paper or books or internet articles they dont mark the vowels and we read them by guessing what will the word be and get it from our experience. been like this since thousands of thousands of years before Christ.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semitic_root
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ʾIʿrab
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

How truly Barbaric.

I dont know if thats effective or just lazy

Rude

Doesn't the buildup of semitic scripts mean that vowels aren't as important?

Also you have those fancy mater lectionis.

I think it's effective because Arabic only has 3 vowels (with long and short versions). If there're more vowels it would be a total mindfuck through.

>semitic scripts

Meant languages, obviously.

Your word roots are all consonant sequences.

hey hey. the only reason we can write now is because of these abjads.

its both. but mostly effective in Semitic script you could write faster than other scripts.

i think our ancestors had a meet up about it and they said it is better not to add extra letters in every word and let us just mark the vowels if needed. for example in old south arabic when the consonant need doubling they add extra letter. so you would see something like Hello. but in modern arabic we mark the doubling above one consonant with ـّ called Shaddah.

its true. also we have the roots for words for example:

Ketab means book. it has the root of ktb now watch this:
Kataba = he wrote
Katabat = she wrote
Yaktoboun = they are writing
Maktaba = library
Maktoub = written

language =/= writing system

That's why Arabic sounds like you're spitting, right?

No vowels, Greeks confirmed master race for vowels.

i dont know which Arabic you heard of. but we have many Arabic as i have problem contacting with Yemeni Arabic speaking people or Tunisian speaking people. even i cant somehow understand Iraqis wtf

basically Greek is a successor of no vowels writing system called Phoenicians. we are all using writing system successor to the ancient Egyptian hieroglyphs

we are all kangs here.

arabic sounds like HGHGHGH GHGGH HG AA GHGHG A GHGGHGH ALLAH GHGHGHG AA GHGHG ABDULLA HGHGH JALLA GHGHG

Greeks invented first modern alphabet with vowels.

>language =/= writing system

Yes, that's what I just said.

Semitic languages are built around consonantal roots.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semitic_root

no one deny that. but you give the Phoenicians the big credit for helping the evolution of writing in EU. without them europe would be now writing something like similar thing to the Chinese.

i posted that above

ana elyom ma rehet emtehany le-eno ana kent kteer ta'ban wa ma-ederet a-aoum mn el-noum

hmmmm doesnt sound like spiting

What are some roots other than ktb and what do they mean?

Akel means food it has the root of AKL

AKaLa = he ate
AKaLat = she ate
yA-KoLoun = they are eating

or Sayed means fishing(although S here isnt like of the sun it is other thing called Sadat) SAD

SADa = he caught fish
SADat = she caught fish
yA-SeDoun = they are fishing

Wtf in poonisian
it s kle
klet
yeklou

Sada what does it mean?

>we wz cnsnants and sht

صاد
من صيد السمك

tunisian arabic or basically western arabic is fuck my shit up.

you guys dont even speak proper arabic

Most words in Semitic languages are based on triconsonantal roots, no? So this system fits your languages way more than it fits English.

Actually abjads predate alphabets. Grerks used unused Phoenician consonants (because Greek lacked them) to mark wowels, thus inventing the modern alphabet. Before that only consonants were written.

You should get to our level through. We also have many consonant clusters, but actually pronounced without consonants. Like:

Hmla - fog
Krk - neck
Prst - finger
Strč - insert/put (as in plug something or put your finger somewhere)
Plť - tiny boat, basically just bound wood planks
Smršť - storm like in snowstorm, not regular storm
Dĺžka - lenght
Hĺbka - depth
Štvrtok - Thursday
Tĺk - beater, also a dumb person
Mĺkvy - mute

This is because r, l and ĺ (long l) can act as a semivowel in Slovak.

I don't know about Arabic, but Hebrew has "hint letters", that usually mark vowels.

Though sometimes they act as consonants, and some of them hint at different vowels (as in: one letter marks both /o/ and /u/), and on rare occasions they signify a vowel different from the one they usually do.

Maybe that's even worse.

How basic, writing without vowels for the kafirs

wtf man thats kinda retarded

i have said that all semitic writing system mark the vowels

In semetic languages, vowels are grammatical markers, and consonants are what carry meaning.

example: the verb for "fall" in hebrew is based on the three consonant root N-F-L

I fall - ani NoFeL
He fell - hu NaFaL
I fell - ani NaFaLti
A fall (noun) - NeFiLa
They fall - hem NaFLu

etc etc etc

I assume you were refering to Tashkil, and we have something similar, Nikkud, but I am taking about letters that hint for vowels even without Nikkud

i think we have something similar. Waw and Ya are considered something similar to what you said

idk maybe im stupid in grammar

I remembered reading somewhere that Arabic has that too, but I wasn't sure so I didn't want to talk out of my ass.

why the fuck our grammar is that hard holy shit. do you guys even do something called I'rab?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ʾIʿrab

Sort of, though we don't have a term for them. There are all kinds of grammatical suffixes and prefixes that were common in early modern Hebrew, and you still occasionally see them in songs or very formal texts, but are never used in daily speech.

One example is the possessive suffix. No one uses it in daily speech, and just say "[object] of [possessor]" like cavemen.

One funny exception is the word "Akhi", which means "my brother", but it is only used to refer to friends, like "bro" in English. You would never use it to refer to your actual brother, which you would just call "Akh sheli"

so it seems Arabic is the only Semitic language which have a set of most complicated grammar in the Semitic world. i fail at understanding the simple thing from it even for now. and i dont even know how it turned into being very complicated system like this